Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Regarding Multiple Accounts
Big Bidoof
post Apr 19 2008, 03:15 PM
Post #1

Watching YOU
Group Icon

Group: Root Administrators
Member No.: 1

Active Squad

Lately we've noticed that several people have made multiple accounts - it is important to know that if you are caught doing this you will likely be BANNED from the site. If you forget your password and cannot access your account, fill out the forgotten password form. If you want a different name, you can change your name yourself in the user CP.

If you have a sibling who has joined the site as well, or someone who will be using the same computer as well (a friend, other family member, etc.) please notify a staff member, otherwise it looks to us like you've made an alternate account.

Any questions, post here.

--------------------
"Java is to JavaScript as ham is to hamster."

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Blax8192
post Apr 19 2008, 07:04 PM
Post #2

Never turn down a really good pie...
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 961

Active Squad

out of curiosity How do you know who has multiple accounts? Is it an IP detector? I heard that people with Dial-up, that their IP address changes each time they log in. How exactly is it regulated

--------------------
These are my Topics which you should read, but probably won't (click to showhide)
=mine
A glimpse into my mind(by clicking you are signing a waiver on your sanity) (click to showhide)
(\_/)
\(n.n)/
(")_(")
this is evil bunny, copy and paste him into your sig and help him keep bunny from taking over the world!!!
I didn't want to put this in tags but the length was bugging me . . . just open it (click to showhide)
+Quote Post

Guest_Hokkai no Oni_*
post Apr 19 2008, 08:10 PM
Post #3

Guests

It's IP based. As for that dial-up thing, that's not exactly true. Actually it's people with dynamic IPs, and that can be on dial-up or broadband. Not many ISPs use it anymore though. You could also get around it by using a proxy.

However, the IP isn't the only way. If a staff member suspects someone of having more than one account based on their posts or email address or whatever they might decide to investigate. Not all people banned for breaking the rule have been caught out by their IP.
+Quote Post

Big Bidoof
post Apr 19 2008, 09:01 PM
Post #4

Watching YOU
Group Icon

Member No.: 1

Active Squad

Indeed. Some have been as obvious as the second account's name being an abbreviation of the first account's name, and stuff like that.

--------------------
"Java is to JavaScript as ham is to hamster."

+Quote Post

Blax8192
post Apr 19 2008, 09:15 PM
Post #5

Never turn down a really good pie...
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 961

Active Squad

Thats pretty sad...I wouldn't think somebody smart enough to make multiple accounts would make such stupid mistakes crying.gif It makes me wonder about what the human race will be like in 200 years crying.gif

--------------------
These are my Topics which you should read, but probably won't (click to showhide)
=mine
A glimpse into my mind(by clicking you are signing a waiver on your sanity) (click to showhide)
(\_/)
\(n.n)/
(")_(")
this is evil bunny, copy and paste him into your sig and help him keep bunny from taking over the world!!!
I didn't want to put this in tags but the length was bugging me . . . just open it (click to showhide)
+Quote Post

Lester Burnham
post Apr 20 2008, 07:03 PM
Post #6

Look closer.
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 72

Active Squad

QUOTE(Blax8192 @ Apr 19 2008, 10:15 PM) *
Thats pretty sad...I wouldn't think somebody smart enough to make multiple accounts would make such stupid mistakes crying.gif It makes me wonder about what the human race will be like in 200 years crying.gif

It's saddest when someone makes 4 different accounts for no reason. Someone did that. facepalm.gif

I do have a question: Should we (aka staff) report possible multiple accounts here or to you guys personally (since you guys technically can check before us)?

--------------------
[align=center]I am the earth-mother, and you are all flops.
[/align]
+Quote Post

Zerxer
post Apr 20 2008, 08:31 PM
Post #7

Zerkadelic
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

My Favorites

QUOTE(Fallen Archangel @ Apr 20 2008, 08:03 PM) *
QUOTE(Blax8192 @ Apr 19 2008, 10:15 PM) *

It's saddest when someone makes 4 different accounts for no reason. Someone did that. facepalm.gif

I do have a question: Should we (aka staff) report possible multiple accounts here or to you guys personally (since you guys technically can check before us)?

Well you'd either PM an admin (if you're a regular member, this is the best option) or if you're staff, you can bring it up in the staff section. I don't recommend doing it HERE (in this thread).

--------------------
Want a rotating avatar like mine? Check out my website: randimg!
Thanks to all of the people in this thread and this thread for the various avatars!

+Quote Post

Lester Burnham
post Apr 21 2008, 08:25 AM
Post #8

Look closer.
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 72

Active Squad

How would regular members know? Only the mods/admins can run IP checks.

--------------------
[align=center]I am the earth-mother, and you are all flops.
[/align]
+Quote Post

Zerxer
post Apr 21 2008, 01:47 PM
Post #9

Zerkadelic
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

My Favorites

I meant if they suspect anything. As was said before, using IP checks is not always the method used to find mutliple accounts due to dynamic IPs or alternate locations so it doesn't matter. They could still suspect something by noticing multiple people having similar names, similar posting styles, same information (age/gender/location/etc), or even stating that they're the same person. They can report anyone like that and we'll look into it.

--------------------
Want a rotating avatar like mine? Check out my website: randimg!
Thanks to all of the people in this thread and this thread for the various avatars!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:43 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.