Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Homework ? Useful Or Useless
Reyo
post Oct 10 2009, 06:12 PM
Post #21

I'm in space...space...spacespace
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 30 281

space team

At first, I hated homework for the simple fact that I had to do it and the teachers didn't, but then I learned that while the teachers don't have to physically do it, they do have to grade it. Think about it, you have a 2 page packet with 50 problems each, which is 100 problems. There are 30 kids in your class, so that's 3000 problems. Now take into account the usuall reality which is the fact that your teacher teaches more than one class, which multiplies the homework by however many classes they have, putting them at at least 6000-9000 problems to grade. So yes, you had to spend an hour or two on 100 problems before going outside...but can you imagine grading 6-9 THOUSAND problems? You're talking about dedicating an entire weekend to one homework assignment. And what about tests where they have to read and grade essay assignments or check math problems for the correct steps. Sure, scantrons make it easier, but how many homework assignments are scantron?

Besides, when you get into higher levels, where the entire class grade might be based on two tests...you'll be begging the teacher for homework. I garuntee it.

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Kiseki Lin
post Oct 10 2009, 06:38 PM
Post #22

The Asian Boy Band Fangirl
Group Icon

Member No.: 6 708

Active Squad

It is easy to forget that teachers also have to correct your homework and probably about some 100+ kids too, especially in high school. Teachers spend a lot of their own personal time doing these - whether they help your grade or not. I don't believe homework is useless nor do I believe that whatever grade you're in is relevant.

As Suikun stated before that I definitely agree with:
Some people just need motivation to actually do good in school, and homework fits that need.

You can also be lazy and just not do it, but when tests come around or something, majority of those who did not do it will notice that they have a tougher time than those that did it. Even if you're wrong on your homework and turn it in, more than likely the teacher will notice, mark it wrong, hand it back to you, and you get the chance to ask for help. I, personally, hate asking for help. It makes me feel like an idiot that I don't know what the heck's going on. But asking for help is a good choice in a long run, at least you'd be able to understand the material.
+Quote Post

klefki
post Oct 10 2009, 08:18 PM
Post #23

FUN FOR ALL SEASONS AT THE SPORTING GOODS STORE
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 35 382

his highness

QUOTE(Reyo @ Oct 10 2009, 06:12 PM) *
I learned that while the teachers don't have to physically do it, they do have to grade it.
My sister been teaching eight grade for years. She goes in at around 7am and usually leaves around 6 or 7pm(twelve hour work day, not counting tutoring and other stuff). When she gets home, nearly all of her free time is spent on grading, writing the lesson plan or making tests. Being a teacher is extremely time consuming. A few hours on a math problems is nothing.

Homework is beneficial for the obvious reason. If I'm struggling with the homework, I don't understand the concept as well as I should.

This post has been edited by Mr Blue Viperfish: Oct 10 2009, 08:20 PM

--------------------
y'all kids can be edgy as fuck man
+Quote Post

GreenEclipse
post Oct 13 2009, 01:31 PM
Post #24

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 57 721

My Platinum Team

Some Homeworks are usefull others are just pointless. rolleyes.gif
If i think its worth to do it, i'll do it. If i think its pointless i will just cheat and do some parts or nothing . I never get caught vause in my school its normal juat to ask the students if they have done the homework(it depends on the teacher).

--------------------

Would you Warm them??

I Click Back

+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Oct 13 2009, 01:58 PM
Post #25

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

QUOTE(Suikun @ Oct 10 2009, 05:38 PM) *
That works too. It helps filter out the useless people and teaches responsibility at an early age.

Yep.

I don't believe in handholding unless one is young or inexperienced, and even then trying to keep it to a minimum.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Warden Notes
post Oct 13 2009, 02:06 PM
Post #26

Fan of Legends
Group Icon

Member No.: 39 312

In-Game Diamond team

I agree that homework does help with the education of students, but the timing of the homework is a major issue. At times you could receive no homework at all, other times all the teachers give you homework on one day and expect it in the next.

Homework, if it is to be the most useful, needs to be regular and steady. This can promote study and help prevent forgetting useful information.

--------------------

Pokéball Egg is requesting your attention.
My RPs and Groups (click to show)
Achievements and Clickys (click to show)

rayquaza.gifI am Rayquazarayquaza.gif
(Well, according to 'Da Pokemon Crew', I am)
+Quote Post

aiadonyx
post Oct 13 2009, 02:20 PM
Post #27

Super Nerd
Group Icon

Member No.: 8 333

A nice set indeed

Homework seems useless if you're doing well in the course, but chances are good that you're doing well in the course partially thanks to homework.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Lester Burnham
post Oct 14 2009, 02:20 PM
Post #28

Look closer.
Group Icon

Member No.: 72

Active Squad

In all of my classes, homework is 10% of the grade. So you can be a genius and have a 98 average not counting homework, and you're already down to an 88 because you didn't do it. Homework gets annoying and repetitive, and it doesn't get any better as you hit your last years of high school (especially if you're like me and take 4 AP courses). Homework is, however, useful for practice, even in math, even though it's repetitive, your test questions are probably going to be on the homework. For AP Calculus in my school, our homework is our test with different numbers. Literally. So if I didn't do the homework, I'd be failing my tests and I'd get a low homework grade. In AP Modern Europe, I don't have "homework" except to work on the ID's for the chapter, which make up a majority of the test. There's 115 ID's for the next chapter too. grin.gif

--------------------
[align=center]I am the earth-mother, and you are all flops.
[/align]
+Quote Post

Realize
post Oct 14 2009, 05:12 PM
Post #29

the world's smallest violin
Group Icon

Member No.: 59 893

RAWR.

Ehh, homework isn't allowed to be graded (at least for us weird French Canadian high schools!) but teachers love to dish out detentions for undone homework... ;3;

It's useful because it actually helps.

It's useLESS because it drives me insane and piles on so much stress for something that isn't even graded and makes me want to kill someone slit my wrists kick small puppies steal candy out of childrens' tiny hands skip school, which is kind of counter-productive, no?

I vote useless, but this is just one bad student's opinion.

--------------------

♥ ♥ ♥

+Quote Post

DireTylo
post Oct 14 2009, 05:16 PM
Post #30

Envy!
Group Icon

Member No.: 8 637

War's Bane

Useless.
'Nuff said

--------------------
~Dire

I am a Symphonic 1st Violin Orch Dork! HATERS GONNA HATE

DireTylo on deviantART.

サザンドラ • ギラティナ • ラティオス • ボスゴドラ • メタグロス • ゲノセクト

Random Derp (click to show)
About Me (click to show)
Credits (click to show)
--Formerly known as Serene Cheshire, formerly Krona, formerly known as HydroForce, who was also known as the original Suzuki
I was the first overall poster for a REALLY long time. That is my legacy here on GTS >w<--

Grab Your Gun
Search and Destroy
+Quote Post

Darkrow
post Oct 14 2009, 05:19 PM
Post #31

Some frickin' video game nerd.
Group Icon

Member No.: 16 016

Unbreakable Team

QUOTE(xxFrozenFlower @ Oct 14 2009, 06:12 PM) *
Ehh, homework isn't allowed to be graded (at least for us weird French Canadian high schools!) but teachers love to dish out detentions for undone homework... ;3;

It's useful because it actually helps.

It's useLESS because it drives me insane and piles on so much stress for something that isn't even graded and makes me want to kill someone slit my wrists kick small puppies steal candy out of childrens' tiny hands skip school, which is kind of counter-productive, no?

I vote useless, but this is just one bad student's opinion.

So true... You be French Canadian too? :D

Also, most of the teachers don't even CORRECT the homework.

So yeah, useless.

--------------------
+Quote Post

TheIgDemon
post Oct 14 2009, 10:58 PM
Post #32

What are you looking at? >.>
Group Icon

Member No.: 63 990

My Favorites

I'm in a technical school and my instructor very rarely ever grades our homework. We go over it, but that's about it. I do what is graded and just skip the rest. Most of it is WorkBook homework and WB's never help me. I never do what doesn't help me.

--------------------
My Clickables (click to show)

+Quote Post

mrsuper
post Oct 14 2009, 11:13 PM
Post #33

I claim Machamp
Group Icon

Member No.: 63 031

Machamp

No teachers at my school never check homework, we get a tonne of it but no one checks it - I think its useless i hate doing some much work at school and getting yelled at by teachers then get home and try relax but instead get yelled by mum to do homework >:(

--------------------
machamp.gif machamp.gif - I claim Machamp - machamp.gif machamp.gif

Banner Made by Leon Trotsky.
+Quote Post

nico111
post Oct 15 2009, 07:02 PM
Post #34

wierd/randomness at its prime
Group Icon

Member No.: 9 643

2nd generation pwns

Homework kills trees! Down with homework! sorry, had to say that! I am in a small school so my class has one teacher for almost everything and they make this homework report thing and ask my other teachers if we did our homework and if we did like 90% of it we get a pop. I got a pop for September with 100%! We don't get a lot of homework and when we do get some its barely 10-20 min.
the french only takes like 2-3 min at the most and people complain about it!

--------------------
clicky clicky >
+Quote Post

2112 Rush 2112
post Oct 15 2009, 07:19 PM
Post #35

King of Nothing. Except whoever reads this.
Group Icon

Member No.: 50 050

Active Squad

Albeit homework sucks, and is a time waster, teachers assign it for a reason, it helps you get better at the subject.
Homework is there to make sure you study.
Think of it, do you seriously study all the time?
No, that's why we have homework.

--------------------

One clickers click the Magikarp Egg

Hunting for Shiny Magikarp. Eggs Hatched: 4
Hunting for Shiny Horsea. Eggs Hatched: 2
+Quote Post

Cassowary
post Oct 15 2009, 09:28 PM
Post #36

Skarmory Squadron Supreme
Group Icon

Member No.: 4 264

Skarmory Squadron

Homework's good, but it DOES kill trees. Still, I do better owrk on paper. Besides, how do you write math equations down on the computer without spending forever on the symbols and stuff?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Chrona
post Oct 15 2009, 10:42 PM
Post #37

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 7 052

Active Squad

Speaking as a college student who graduated high school with an A average

I never did homework unless I didn't get the concept or just wanted to review for a test. I didn't want to waste my time doing idle busywork, and was better at learning in-class than alone at home. The only drawback came in when teachers graded the massive amount of homework they tried to assign you daily. My grade 9 and 10 math teachers assigned sheets of like 30-50 questions a night and expected you to show your work, then graded it. There was no way in hell I was going to waste my time doing them, and basically flunked the homework part of the course, ending me off with a mid 70. Then my grade 11 math teacher didn't care for marking homework, and I ended up getting 99% in that class - Getting perfect on both the mid term and final exam. The class average was a mid 70, so it wasn't necessarily an easy course - The teacher just focused more on actually getting the stuff done in class than expecting us to waste our home time reviewing something he should have taught well in the first place.

My point is, homework is good for some people but meaningless for others. Assigning tons of it is counter-productive, and checking it in class is just a waste of time, especially if you go out of your way to give detentions to those who don't have it finished. It's not like they're going to learn.

This post has been edited by Chrona: Oct 15 2009, 10:43 PM

--------------------

<-- Click here to join TPPA, an online Pokemon RPG =D
+Quote Post

TTD
post Oct 15 2009, 10:45 PM
Post #38

In reverence, she shall speak my name.
Group Icon

From: Relegated to the obsidian of freezing celestial bodies.
Member No.: 2 480

Sorrowful Frost

It really depends on how much is given, what subject the homework is for, and what sorts of questions and stuff is on the homework.

--------------------
Credits! (click to show)
Gym Badges and Frontier Symbols! (click to show)
If you like metal... (click to show)
+Quote Post

Twisted
post Oct 15 2009, 10:57 PM
Post #39

Resident Man-Dancer
Group Icon

Member No.: 17 296

Active Squad

Homework isn't really an optional thing. It's reinforcement, not a punishment. While some people may need less reinforcement than others, it's still good nonetheless. Homework isn't about the homework. It's about the exam. It's a good prep, and in a lot of cases, if you understand how to verbalize and ask questions, then homework is extremely useful. I don't know where you're coming from saying it's pointless, you just sound kinda angsty about all of it. You can't build a house if you don't have any idea what the blueprints mean. A relatively unrelated example, albeit a good one. I have practice for about two hours most days, and I have around three hours of homework, though rarely do I ever complain about it. Honestly, if I feel I truly know what we're going over (eg the majority of most of my assignments in biology) then I will half-ass it, just to say I DID get it done.

All in all, I don't think you should be saying it's pointless. There's a point. It's going to help you pass classes you need for graduation, and is a good example of what you DO and DON'T know for your exam.

--------------------

I really like it when people click these eggs, because I like returning clicks...more than random clicking.
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Oct 16 2009, 11:26 AM
Post #40

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

it's pointless if you get a shitload of repetitive busy work when you already got the fucking point during the first few problems

which is why I feel homework should be optional :/

--------------------
+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:19 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.