Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Animal activists, What do you think about them?
Mangoheart
post May 23 2010, 03:31 AM
Post #1

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 22 446

~my favs~

Well today I came across an animal activist on the Internet...I had taken a picture of a snake I found in my backyard. It had a bloody little scratch in its skin because my cat found it before I did. Of course I made sure that snake got away and I kept my cat inside the rest of the day. And yet this animal activist literally started to blame me of animal abuse.
How horrible person I am to let my cats outside and cats are monsters that should be killed.
My cats mainly only kill and eat mice and that's one of the reasons why I have cats in the first place. I don't want my house full of mice. When cat catches a bird for example it's probably old and sick already. As for snakes, I've never seen one near my house before. And frankly I haven't seen too many grass snakes in Finland at all.
Anyway I did save that poor snake. I absolutely love animals and I don't want to see them killed or hurt. How can one be an animal activist when they want pets dead...

I'd want to hear your opinion on this. If you have similar experiences or something else to say about this, please do.

This post has been edited by kaitenmia: May 26 2010, 12:51 PM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reyo
post May 24 2010, 01:03 AM
Post #2

I'm in space...space...spacespace
Group Icon

Member No.: 30 281

space team

My take on it is that the people who really do give a damn about animals spend their time volunteering at animal shelters and taking the necessary classes to help animals as a veterinarian or a forester, and not on the internet yelling at people who aren't keeping their pets they way they want them to.

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-
+Quote Post

Damnatio Memoria...
post May 24 2010, 02:29 AM
Post #3

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 88 080

Winrars

I absolutely love animal activists. They're so obsessed with their train of thoughts that they always forget the real issues.

Take PETA for example. Their entire ad campaign is to the point of "People for the unEthical Treatment of humAns". They completely ignore real animal cruelty, and fight die-hard against a lot of stuff that benefits society. I think the only job that they've done a good job and not screwed up with their secondary goals is the attack on the fur coat industry.
+Quote Post

Mordecai the Hun...
post May 25 2010, 02:40 PM
Post #4

Shiny Hunter
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 54 548

HeartGold Team

I absolutely hate it whenever people wish a certain animal should be killed off. Do they not even know the consequences of doing just that? It could completely destroy a whole food web, which can lead to an unbalance of the ecosystem.

I love animals and hate seeing them get injured/killed. I'm highly against testing on animals, since it can be cruel to them and it's not always accurate. I mean, you can always test something on an animal and have it work on them, but it can potentially have an adverse side effect on a human being. Not to mention, I'd hate to think what those animals go through during that whole testing process.

I guess you can say I, myself, am an animal activist. I can't stand people that treat their pets cruelly, train animals for fighting, or even just flat out kill an defenseless animal for no reason. Animals shouldn't be used to make fur coats, either. It just all seems so wrong in my eyes.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reyo
post May 25 2010, 03:41 PM
Post #5

I'm in space...space...spacespace
Group Icon

Member No.: 30 281

space team

QUOTE(CM Punk @ May 25 2010, 03:40 PM) *
I absolutely hate it whenever people wish a certain animal should be killed off. Do they not even know the consequences of doing just that? It could completely destroy a whole food web, which can lead to an unbalance of the ecosystem.

How exactly does an ecosystem become "unbalanced"? Now I'm not asking this sound "mean" or "cruel" but the Earth has gone through many shifts where an ecosystem becomes "unbalanced" demanding a change in the order of things, where one dominant species dies off and makes room for another. The classic example would be the dinosaurs dieing off and making room for mammals where the thing to remember is that the reptiles didn't all die off with the dinosaurs, only a certain number of certain species.

The point is that while willing something like the extinction of an entire species is a bit...evil, it's not exactly as "dire" as you make it seem to be. If Gazelle were to suddenly go extinct, the Lions and Cheetahs who use them as nurishment would just eat something else. Would that make it where there'd be some changes done to the species? Well no doubt, there'd be change done to both the predator and the prey, but that's how evolution works.

Now if you have a beef with evolution, that's a conversation for a completely different thread.

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-
+Quote Post

Dubstep
post May 25 2010, 08:25 PM
Post #6

BLARGAGH
Group Icon

Member No.: 95 511

Ghosties

Such animal activists have such skewered perspective and reasoning that I really don't bother with them. They're nuttier than squirrel shit. no.gif

This post has been edited by Dubstep: May 25 2010, 08:25 PM

--------------------
:V
+Quote Post

klefki
post May 26 2010, 05:49 PM
Post #7

FUN FOR ALL SEASONS AT THE SPORTING GOODS STORE
Group Icon

Member No.: 35 382

his highness

It all depends on the individual activist. People trying to inform pet stores through care sheets and letters shouldn't be considered the same as people in Animal Liberation Front or PETA

--------------------
y'all kids can be edgy as fuck man
+Quote Post

Fennir
post May 26 2010, 08:28 PM
Post #8

Lookit! I can fly!
Group Icon

Member No.: 20 393

Active Squad

As usual, I'm on the side of situations. Yours was bad, the damn activist forgot that cats are going to chase other creatures it thinks it can capture for prey, which is normal for the animal kingdoms. If anything your cat should get a medal for doing what it's supposed to do. (Since nothing else in this world can do that.)

But no, people who genuinely care about animals but haven't gone off the deep end (ie: Care sheets for pet shops and not lawyers for dogs to sue their owners...) should not be considered on the same line as PETA.

However, your little stalker is a PETA variety.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Mangoheart
post May 28 2010, 11:19 AM
Post #9

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 22 446

~my favs~

Yeah I think that worrying(or rather freaking out) about species that are not even endangered is a bit....pointless. Some animals get killed out there, it's nature's law.
And blaming pets for destroying the balance of nature. Well I'm pretty sure people do much more harm than any little cat could ever do.

My point is you don't have to be some activist to be able to care about animals. I know there are could people who do much good for the sake of endangered species and I have respect for them. But attacking people on Internet seems a bit immature
+Quote Post

Mimiqui
post May 30 2010, 01:36 PM
Post #10

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 6 453

Wishlist

To be honest, I don’t really like cats being outdoors. My grandparents have an outdoor cat, and he kills rabbits, snakes, lizards, and birds. Half the time he does not eat these animals, and is just killing to be killing. The reason I do not agree with is simply because he is competing with other predators, there is a hawk who seems to stay around our yard and the field behind it, to grab rabbits. When tigger kills a rabbit, he is taking a rabbit that could be a meal for that hawk, which needs it more than a cat who is fed cat food on a daily bases.
I also do not like the idea because I do not like seeing someone’s pet becoming road kill. Now it may be different where you live, but in the states, it’s almost every day that you can see a dead animal on the side of the road. Rather it be dog cat or deer. People just don’t care, and some people even swerve to hit animals here.

Some animal activists are insane, I like animals, but I’m not going to tell people what to do with their pets. If my grandparents cat kills something, it’s on them, sure I’m not going to be happy about it but I’m not going to force the cat who is used to being outside to become an inside cat because of what I think. And I would never want my grandparents cat killed, or any outdoor cat killed for that matter, because they are doing what comes natural to it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Nardaviel
post Jun 2 2010, 06:14 PM
Post #11

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 95 371

favorites

I volunteered at my city's zoo one summer. I'm not saying this to give myself legitimacy as an animal activist or whatever, but rather to give credibility to the story I'm about to tell.

We had an elderly elephant (who's passed away since then, sadly) named Mona. She'd lived at the zoo most of her adult life, along with another elephant, who at the time of these events had recently died. So Mona was old, recently bereft of her best friend, and used to life at the zoo. Which was ... a zoo, and looked like one, but she had space, and keepers who loved her, and so on and so forth.

But then PETA decided that it was cruel and horrible to keep her in an enclosure, and that she should be taken to an elephant sanctuary to live out the rest of her days in freedom. Which sounds noble enough on the surface, except ... she was old, and in mourning, and she might not have survived a trip like that. And even if she had, and if she could adjust to a different location and lifestyle, she was on her last set of teeth. At the zoo, we could make special food for her that wouldn't wear her teeth down, but in a sanctuary she would have to find her own food, and she'd wear down her teeth. It was just not practical at all.

If she'd been a lot younger, a little elephant child or something, I would have been a lot more open to the idea. Zoos are sad places and I couldn't stand being there every day for more than a few months. But ~*~releasing the animal into the wiiild~*~ is far from a universal solution.

... Anyway, that's mostly why I don't like PETA. They're silly. That said, I do believe in animal rights. I just think a lot of "activists" are either rabble-rousers or uninformed bleeding hearts.

--------------------
friends are like potatoes:
if you eat them, they die.

+Quote Post

Annakyoyama358
post Jun 3 2010, 07:00 PM
Post #12

Captain of the KaiRei Ship
Group Icon

Member No.: 9 269

My top 6 Most wanted

QUOTE(Dubstep @ May 25 2010, 09:25 PM) *
Such animal activists have such skewered perspective and reasoning that I really don't bother with them. They're nuttier than squirrel shit. no.gif

That about sums up my opinion

--------------------

Feel free to PM me if you'd like me to gift you any Level 1-8 trinket happy.gif

If you have these trinkets, please let me know what you'd like to trade!
- Zombified "B" Slab - Wymsified "W" Slab - Froakie Plushie - Dreamball Walker - Withered Gracidia Flower - Poochyena Chew

Ultimate Goal:
Complete the eevee.gif Eevee eevee.gif Evolutions.... AS SHINIES
jolteon.gif flareon.gif
Obtained:
vaporeon.gif umbreon.gif espeon.gif leafeon.gif glaceon.gif :sylveon:
+Quote Post

shou75
post Jun 4 2010, 06:38 PM
Post #13

Chillin Like a Villain
Group Icon

Member No.: 61 630

Burning clouds

since this animal activists thing is pretty much the same as a tree hugger but instead with animals.

honestly theres really no need for em.

Animal activist= Person who has nothing better to do.

People know how to treat a pet they just choose what they want to do with it.

How many people actually listen to the overeactive animal humpers i mean animal activists.

--------------------

+Quote Post

GanBare
post Jun 8 2010, 06:24 PM
Post #14

GanBare
Group Icon

Member No.: 99 642

Favorites

I am neurtal!

--------------------
Zoo made by Cajun!

<----- Click to go to my party!!
Banner made by Paparazzi

All have been made by Paparazzi!!
+Quote Post

roygbiv
post Jan 13 2011, 03:55 PM
Post #15

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 125 915

hg team

i dont beleive in circuses or phyiscal abuse but peta takes it to a whole new level they are absolutley nuts they tell people do this do that thats why we have guards they tried replacing the groundhog with a robot and they do this http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35394363/ns/...nster_dog_show/ and and that but they always lose these people arnt looking at the biggest picture they should help prevent dog fights and animal abuse but instead they protest aginst the littlest things

--------------------
pokemon white friend code 3096 0916 2525
+Quote Post

ChocolateVanilla
post Jan 14 2011, 08:12 PM
Post #16

Not LOLing, Laughing Out Loud. :D
Group Icon

Member No.: 24 686

Active Squad

@kaitenmia: I think that specific 'animal activist' was being unfair to you. There are many cats that enjoy going outside, and to deny them that pleasure would be a type of abuse in itself.

My cats have brought back several dead birds, but I don't consider myself an advocate of murder. We can't go out and save all the zebras from the lions, s then the lions would starve. Though a house cat is not in the danger of starving, they still have to eat some kind of dead animal.

I think there are good animal activists. For the Americans, Theodore Roosevelt set aside the national parks (im pretty sure; I haven't validated this, and I get the Roosevelts confused) and that was undeniably helpful for people and animals.

--------------------
Credit for Awesomely Awesome Pictures (click to show)

+Quote Post

PikaDiety
post Jan 15 2011, 11:54 AM
Post #17

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 92 309

Active Squad

Animal activists like that drive me crazy. I hate PETA and people like the one in the first post. I love animals and I would never harm an animal. All my life, I've wanted to do something to help animals and I've wanted to volunteer at an animal shelter. (Haven't been able to yet, but I plan to in the near future when I gain my driver's license.) But PETA has it all wrong, and is full of idiots. Yes, there are good animal activists. I consider myself an animal activist, just not an extremist. If that makes sense, I'm running on very little sleep.XD

Also, if I hear one more person tell me that you can't eat meat and love animals at the same time, I will punch them in the face. I think that is incredibly stupid.
+Quote Post

Rugal
post Jan 15 2011, 02:00 PM
Post #18

What?
Group Icon

Member No.: 76 953

Active Squad

I'm all for treating animals fairly and all, but all those ASPCA guilt trip commercials and the insane armchair activists need to GTFO.

--------------------
Metaphysics explained in simple terms (click to show)
Important info about myself (click to show)
Things I may or may not be directly responsible for (click to show)
+Quote Post

Nectaris
post Jan 26 2011, 01:34 PM
Post #19

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 38 861

Active Squad

QUOTE(CM Punk @ May 25 2010, 01:40 PM) *

It depends on the situation. Take wild pigs in the US for example. They are a completely non-native species and are devastating the ecosystems they are found in now, as well as generally destructive and dangerous. Wouldn't it be a good thing if they were killed off from where they do not belong? And no, simple relocation is not an answer, they breed too fast and would quickly overpopulate wherever you sent them to before you removed a fraction of those here already.

Note: Havelinas are the only native pig species the US, but they aren't a problem.

--------------------

+Quote Post

The Corrosion
post Jan 28 2011, 02:20 AM
Post #20

I think I just ate a chicken bone.
Group Icon

Member No.: 71 850

HG Party

I count myself as a non-extremist animal rights activist. I don't support testing on animal for anything but diseases and injuries, I don't like that my cats kill small rodents and birds, but they aren't being cruel. "Cruel"or "sadistic" means that cats take pleasure in harming another creature. They do not. They have instincts and they follow those instincts. Would you blame a human if they shot a wild animal if the animal was about to harm the human? No, you wouldn't. The instinct that cats have to kill small animals is just that. An instinct, nothing we humans can do but put collars and bells on our cats. I don't like circuses and never will besides all human ones, and zoos are fine if they are harboring an endangered species for breeding, because they offspring are more likely to survive than in the wild.

--------------------
Why do n00bs exist? Find out by pressing Ctrl+W!
Credits (click to show)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:44 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.