Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Abortion
Manticore
post Aug 1 2010, 12:21 PM
Post #21

The Manticore
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 10 532

Burds4Manti

Choice plz. But please, we can haz REAL sex education in schools? I'm absolutely POSITIVE that if kids are taught about birth control and not just 'SEX IS BAD, U GET DISEEZ AND FORM BABBY' That the abortion rate will drop DRAMATICALLY.

An Ounce of Prevention is worth a Pound of Cure.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Galahawk
post Aug 1 2010, 03:52 PM
Post #22

Legendary Dragon Empress
Group Icon

Member No.: 21 238

Best team ever

QUOTE(joker @ Aug 1 2010, 11:36 AM) *
On the moral side....abortion is horrible if done at the later stages...its basically killing a baby. But if we are talking about freedom of choice, then i guess it should be allowed. Still, its taking away all the potential the baby has in this world. Borrowing a cliche: this baby could have been the one to find the cure for cancer. My point is, abortion is just not killing the baby himself/herself, but all of the potential and the possiblities that the baby had. I mean think of it...

I agree with you on the later stages part. I think that if you want to abort, don't wait until the third trimester because at that point, the fetus is more like a baby than a clump of cells. Besides, if you wanted to get an abortion anyway, you shouldn't have waited that long. (For a lot of people, it's not too hard to tell if you're pregnant or not, the exception here would be for people who don't "show" it)

And for the "cure for cancer" thing, abortion means stem cells, man (which in a lot of cases, can cure a lot more than the child would ever have in its lifetime). For instance, I was born and I don't want to find the cure for cancer, so that means if I was aborted and my stem cells were used, I'd be curing a lot more ailments than I am now and possibly ever will.
(but getting OFF the topic of stem cells, that's for another debate thread)

... Or that child could be circulated into poor or heaven forbid, abusive foster care and never reach their potential. Period.

EDIT:
QUOTE(Manticore @ Aug 1 2010, 01:21 PM) *
Choice plz. But please, we can haz REAL sex education in schools? I'm absolutely POSITIVE that if kids are taught about birth control and not just 'SEX IS BAD, U GET DISEEZ AND FORM BABBY' That the abortion rate will drop DRAMATICALLY.

I support both the teaching of abstinence AND contraceptives. That way the students can choose to be abstinent, or if they do decide to have sex, they can learn to have safe sex. I don't see why it has to be one or the other. (my life sciences teacher taught both, and she did a good job at it too)

This post has been edited by Galahawk: Aug 1 2010, 03:59 PM

--------------------
[align=center]
- Click Latias for my deviantART | Click Latios for my Tumblr -

[spoiler=Shinies + Fat meeps]
(Shinies are not in chronological order. I stopped caring.)[/spoiler][/align]
+Quote Post

Crystal Shards
post Aug 1 2010, 05:56 PM
Post #23

Iced Out
Group Icon

Member No.: 250

Favorites

QUOTE(Galahawk @ Aug 1 2010, 03:52 PM) *
I agree with you on the later stages part. I think that if you want to abort, don't wait until the third trimester because at that point, the fetus is more like a baby than a clump of cells. Besides, if you wanted to get an abortion anyway, you shouldn't have waited that long. (For a lot of people, it's not too hard to tell if you're pregnant or not, the exception here would be for people who don't "show" it)

Even by FOX News's numbers, there's only like 100 abortions in the US per year that occur after the 24th week, which is like, .01% of all abortions in the US. (There is no scientific evidence to say that there is any fetal consciousness or awareness prior to the 24th week. This does not mean it develops in the 24th week.)

EDIT: Oh, just in case anyone wants to call me a liar: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,880,00.html

Of the 1.6 million abortions performed in the U.S. each year, 91 percent are performed during the first trimester (12 or fewer weeks' gestation); 9 percent are performed in the second trimester (24 or fewer weeks' gestation); and only about 100 are performed in the third trimester (more than 24 weeks' gestation), approximately .01 percent of all abortions performed.

This post has been edited by Crystal Shards: Aug 1 2010, 06:06 PM

--------------------
Administrator of Mercury Ice Forums

I click full party even after you switch out Pokemon.

DieHard GameFAN
+Quote Post

Manticore
post Aug 1 2010, 09:24 PM
Post #24

The Manticore
Group Icon

Burds4Manti

QUOTE(Galahawk @ Aug 1 2010, 04:52 PM) *
EDIT:

I support both the teaching of abstinence AND contraceptives. That way the students can choose to be abstinent, or if they do decide to have sex, they can learn to have safe sex. I don't see why it has to be one or the other. (my life sciences teacher taught both, and she did a good job at it too)

Well obviously you wouldn't exclude the whole 'not sticking your dick in a girl is the only 100% way not to get her knocked up' but when it's the only thing taught, like it was at my school, kids don't know wtf to do when they DO have sex. And they usually do. So if they don't know what condoms or other contraceptives are, or how to work them, they end up forming babby.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Galahawk
post Aug 1 2010, 10:00 PM
Post #25

Legendary Dragon Empress
Group Icon

Member No.: 21 238

Best team ever

QUOTE(Manticore @ Aug 1 2010, 10:24 PM) *
QUOTE(Galahawk @ Aug 1 2010, 04:52 PM) *
EDIT:

Well obviously you wouldn't exclude the whole 'not sticking your dick in a girl is the only 100% way not to get her knocked up' but when it's the only thing taught, like it was at my school, kids don't know wtf to do when they DO have sex. And they usually do. So if they don't know what condoms or other contraceptives are, or how to work them, they end up forming babby.

In general I also support the idea of sex education BEFORE high school. I knew a lot more about sex when I was seven than a lot of people my age do now because my parents bought my brother and me a book on it. It's sad that people are pushing for abstinence-only sex ed and not teaching them how to have sex but not get pregnant. It's people like that that mess up the way teenagers view sex.

Personally I'm holding off on sex, but even then I know how to use contraceptives like condoms, the pill, etc. So all-in-all, yeah. This is something schools seriously need to consider because the rate of abortions would possibly drop significantly, but don't because of butthurt parents. It's sad.

This post has been edited by Galahawk: Aug 1 2010, 10:16 PM

--------------------
[align=center]
- Click Latias for my deviantART | Click Latios for my Tumblr -

[spoiler=Shinies + Fat meeps]
(Shinies are not in chronological order. I stopped caring.)[/spoiler][/align]
+Quote Post

Lester Burnham
post Aug 2 2010, 09:09 AM
Post #26

Look closer.
Group Icon

Member No.: 72

Active Squad

But please, we can haz REAL sex education in schools? I'm absolutely POSITIVE that if kids are taught about birth control and not just 'SEX IS BAD, U GET DISEEZ AND FORM BABBY' That the abortion rate will drop DRAMATICALLY.

QFT. Also don't forget "GOD CRIES WHEN YOU HAVE SEX".

Otherwise I'm Pro-Life. No I'm not going to try to argue with all of you Pro-Choicers because I'm going to lose and I don't want you all to change my views. Fact.

And if you've read my other debate posts, I'M NOT RELIGIOUS. Let me repeat that.

I'M NOT RELIGIOUS

So there will be no religion in my stance. This will be pure science.

Myth: The fetus is not a human.
False. A fetus is a human. It is a genetic combination of two human parents, a father and a mother. It has its own set of DNA that is exclusive to it and it alone. Identical twins/triplets/etc. are split from the same zygote.
As soon as the egg is fertilized, the zygote becomes its own living thing. It has its own set of DNA.
Day 21, heartbeat starts. That's three weeks, people. Most women don't know they're pregnant until after this time.

Stopping a beating heart = death. Intentionally stopping a beating heart = murder.

Myth: The fetus is not human until it can survive on its own, aka outside the womb.
False. The fetus has its own heartbeat, brainwave pattern, and breathing pattern. It receives nutrients from the mother. That is all.
Oh, and let's not forget the fact that a newborn baby cannot survive on its own. It needs to be nurtured by another human so that it can survive. Just because it's no longer getting nutrients via umbilical cord, it doesn't mean that it can't get up and walk on its own. Or get its own food.

Now onto stats. Rape/Incest cases only make up 5% of all abortions. Most abortions are "social abortions". Aka "I don't want a baby for __________________________ reason". Fill in the blank with whatever lame-ass excuse made up. Money, responsibility, time. Social abortion =/= rape abortion.

Also I'd like to point out that when the fertilized egg is stuck in the fallopian tubes, called an "ectopic pregnancy", is 100% fatal for the fetus and almost always fatal for the mother. It also makes the mother infertile.

Removing a fetus from ectopic pregnancy =/= abortion. That fetus will not live. Ever.

--------------------
[align=center]I am the earth-mother, and you are all flops.
[/align]
+Quote Post

Manticore
post Aug 2 2010, 10:07 AM
Post #27

The Manticore
Group Icon

Burds4Manti

QUOTE(Caesar Augustus @ Aug 2 2010, 10:09 AM) *
Myth: The fetus is not human until it can survive on its own, aka outside the womb.
False. The fetus has its own heartbeat, brainwave pattern, and breathing pattern. It receives nutrients from the mother. That is all.
Oh, and let's not forget the fact that a newborn baby cannot survive on its own. It needs to be nurtured by another human so that it can survive. Just because it's no longer getting nutrients via umbilical cord, it doesn't mean that it can't get up and walk on its own. Or get its own food.

Addressing this, I prefer to say a fetus isn't viable before a certain point, it may have a beating heart or brain activity but as a whole, if you were to remove it from the womb, it's so underdeveloped that it cannot survive. It doesn't have an immune system, its lungs cannot breathe, its skin is often so thin and weak you can't even touch it without it tearing.

To me it's akin to cracking an egg before the animal inside is ready to come out.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Aug 2 2010, 01:02 PM
Post #28

I'm in space...space...spacespace
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 30 281

space team

QUOTE(Manticore @ Aug 2 2010, 11:07 AM) *
QUOTE(Caesar Augustus @ Aug 2 2010, 10:09 AM) *

Addressing this, I prefer to say a fetus isn't viable before a certain point, it may have a beating heart or brain activity but as a whole, if you were to remove it from the womb, it's so underdeveloped that it cannot survive. It doesn't have an immune system, its lungs cannot breathe, its skin is often so thin and weak you can't even touch it without it tearing.

To me it's akin to cracking an egg before the animal inside is ready to come out.

As long as you realize that it is both alive, and human, then I can understand you feeling that way, but remember that having lungs, a heart, an immune system does not necessarily constitute something as "alive". It does for multicellular organisms, but there are plenty of single celled life forms that go on ticking without all of that.

The fascinating part is that all of those single celled organisms are able to live because of organelles that act like lungs, a heart, and an immune system.

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-
+Quote Post

Annakyoyama358
post Aug 3 2010, 09:46 AM
Post #29

Captain of the KaiRei Ship
Group Icon

Member No.: 9 269

My top 6 Most wanted

QUOTE(Crystal Shards @ Aug 1 2010, 01:18 PM) *
Copy/pasta from last thread:

I think these two videos sum up pretty much how I feel on the actual debate of abortion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LflNHygv4wE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymF6b09VO9w

My stance? I'm pro choice. What we should be looking to do instead of arguing over whether women should be allowed to have safe abortions, we should look for ways to lower the rates of unwanted pregnancies. This can be done by making contraception easier and cheaper to get a hold of (where I am at, each month of the pill is $10 and each quarter-year shot is $75, condoms are free in some places like hospitals and some schools but not all) and better sex education. What I mean by better sex education is that women and men should both receive better than abstinence-only education and that they should receive lessons on what a baby actually needs. Many younger girls, thanks to celebrities like Britney Spears and television shows like 16 and Pregnant, seem to see pregnancy as glamorous, and babies as pets. They don't seem to understand that babies need constant care and affection, and that you can't just give it away when it's done being fun. Having a child affects more than just the body--it affects entire lives of everyone involved. So it's important that if you are going to have a child, that you're trained to be able to take care of it, and you understand the responsibilities.

These two things, more available contraception and better sex education, would greatly reduce abortion rates because they would reduce unwanted/teen pregnancy rates (and, by extension, pregnancy rates as a whole). With lower pregnancy rates (especially those due to a lack of knowledge/materials) comes lower abortion rates.

Really, this isn't an argument about abortion being allowed, because it's going to happen whether or not we support it. It's about whether we're going to allow abortions to occur within a safe environment. I applaud anyone who takes on the massive responsibility of parenthood, but the fact of the matter is it's not for everyone. I think a vast majority women actually think before having an abortion. It's not a decision to be made lightly, and anyone who is actually pregnant is going to be more likely to fully understand the consequences of their actions. When a woman gets pregnant, regardless of her initial feelings, she should go to a doctor and have every option explained to her in an unbiased manner. She needs to make an educated decision for herself. If she'd prefer to take the fetus to term, then she has two options: adoption or keeping it. If she doesn't, then her option is abortion. ANY of those choices are going to have psychological effects on the mother, and so she should be carefully monitored.

Also you can't send every unwanted baby into foster care or adoption agencies. As much as I personally prefer adoption to abortion, it's not economical. At all. Foster care centers and adoption agencies have enough strain on them as it is without piling on at least a million more kids per year, assuming every kid not aborted goes into foster care/adoption agencies.

Using the "what if you were the fetus" argument is ignorant with the light we've cast upon what a fetus can actually feel and think about. It's the same as the "what if you had the next president of the United States" argument--what ifs mean nothing. Frau Hitler was advised to abort for health reasons and didn't. Does this mean we should advocate abortion 100% of the time? No. So why should the argument work the other way? My mom's family asked if she could have an abortion, and she decided not to, and I'm here. If she had (not that it's really all that easy to do at six months), I wouldn't be here. I wouldn't be here to feel regret about being here. Woopdefreakingdo.

On a side note, really rape shouldn't even be an issue here. Either a woman has complete control over her reproductive organs or she doesn't. To say she doesn't would only add insult to injury in a case like rape. Not to mention rape/incest cases are like, 1-2% of abortion cases, last statistics I saw (and 6% are due to health reasons).

This is basically my opinion. Stop pretending that if you tell kids not to have sex, they won't, and hand them a pack of trojans. It'll reduce it a helluva lot better.

--------------------

Feel free to PM me if you'd like me to gift you any Level 1-8 trinket happy.gif

If you have these trinkets, please let me know what you'd like to trade!
- Zombified "B" Slab - Wymsified "W" Slab - Froakie Plushie - Dreamball Walker - Withered Gracidia Flower - Poochyena Chew

Ultimate Goal:
Complete the eevee.gif Eevee eevee.gif Evolutions.... AS SHINIES
jolteon.gif flareon.gif
Obtained:
vaporeon.gif umbreon.gif espeon.gif leafeon.gif glaceon.gif :sylveon:
+Quote Post

SamanthaNatalie
post Aug 3 2010, 11:58 AM
Post #30

Group Icon

Member No.: 63 443

Active Squad

Logical pick: The mother should decide. If she didn't want the baby she can choose abortion, although there are much better choices around. Foster, give to sperm donater, with exception of rape, etc, etc, etc. Abortion should be a last resort.

My personal opinion: I believe abortion should be used oly when the baby will die soon, and is in pain.

Criticism accepted...
+Quote Post

Crystal Shards
post Aug 3 2010, 01:57 PM
Post #31

Iced Out
Group Icon

Favorites

QUOTE(Rivals @ Aug 3 2010, 11:58 AM) *
Logical pick: The mother should decide. If she didn't want the baby she can choose abortion, although there are much better choices around. Foster, give to sperm donater, with exception of rape, etc, etc, etc. Abortion should be a last resort.

Er, what?

--------------------

DieHard GameFAN
+Quote Post

Lester Burnham
post Aug 3 2010, 02:20 PM
Post #32

Look closer.
Group Icon

Member No.: 72

Active Squad

QUOTE(Crystal Shards @ Aug 3 2010, 02:57 PM) *

Er, what?

Men who donate sperm aren't looking to have said children. They're doing it for couples who are infertile. =\

--------------------
[align=center]I am the earth-mother, and you are all flops.
[/align]
+Quote Post

Annakyoyama358
post Aug 3 2010, 07:07 PM
Post #33

Group Icon

My top 6 Most wanted

QUOTE(Caesar Augustus @ Aug 3 2010, 03:20 PM) *

Er, what?

Men who donate sperm aren't looking to have said children. They're doing it for couples who are infertile. =\

Or the occasional lesbian couple.
YAY DOUBLE MOMMIES! ^_^.gif

--------------------

- Zombified "B" Slab - Wymsified "W" Slab - Froakie Plushie - Dreamball Walker - Withered Gracidia Flower - Poochyena Chew

Ultimate Goal:
jolteon.gif flareon.gif
Obtained:
+Quote Post

SamanthaNatalie
post Aug 3 2010, 07:40 PM
Post #34

Group Icon

Active Squad

I did not know that.
+Quote Post

Crystal Shards
post Aug 3 2010, 07:41 PM
Post #35

Iced Out
Group Icon

Favorites

QUOTE(Caesar Augustus @ Aug 3 2010, 02:20 PM) *

Er, what?

Okay but that doesn't explain why it's being brought up in a topic about abortion. Foster care makes sense (in theory anyway, I've already mentioned the setbacks of adding 1 million+ kids per year to the foster care system, assuming all that aren't aborted are given up to foster care). Sperm donors don't.

Or are you agreeing with me that's it's confusing that's listed? Because it seems like you're replying to me and not Caesar Augustus. xD

EDIT: Grammar fail.

This post has been edited by Crystal Shards: Aug 3 2010, 07:43 PM

--------------------

DieHard GameFAN
+Quote Post

SamanthaNatalie
post Aug 3 2010, 07:57 PM
Post #36

Group Icon

Active Squad

Fine. Take it off the list.
+Quote Post

Gryphaena
post Aug 8 2010, 12:00 AM
Post #37

She Who Can Be Voracious
Group Icon

Member No.: 79 103

My Purple Ones

I don't like abortion but I accept that people will probably have them anyway.

I'd rather have women go to actual certified doctors for it then unlicensed people.

I think the father should know if the mother wants an abortion (except in rape and incest cases of course).

--------------------
Avatar by Cycloneblaze at Cycloneshop II

GPX+GPX+

Poliwager Poliwager
+Quote Post

Kodent
post Aug 8 2010, 05:50 PM
Post #38

There was a hole here once. It's gone now.
Group Icon

Member No.: 19 735

Swag Swerve Squad

QUOTE(The Mad Hatter @ Aug 1 2010, 02:43 AM) *
Yes, but the child could go up for adoption as soon as the baby is born. Therefore, if the family is caring enough, it would be nice. Then the fucker of a mother could go and use condoms.

Like the others have said, the adoption system is horribly broken. Once they hit 18, out on the streets to fend for themselves.

I'm pro-choice, by the way.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Crystal Shards
post Aug 9 2010, 07:30 PM
Post #39

Iced Out
Group Icon

Favorites

My friend posted this article to his Facebook, and I thought it was relevant to the discussion. This kind of crap pisses me off. If the stuff they said was TRUE, that'd be another thing. But it's all lies. http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article...gainst-abortion

--------------------

DieHard GameFAN
+Quote Post

Annakyoyama358
post Aug 13 2010, 10:17 AM
Post #40

Group Icon

My top 6 Most wanted

QUOTE(Gryphaena @ Aug 8 2010, 01:00 AM) *
I don't like abortion but I accept that people will probably have them anyway.

I'd rather have women go to actual certified doctors for it then unlicensed people.

I think the father should know if the mother wants an abortion (except in rape and incest cases of course).

I think fathers should stay out of it. To many deadbeat and/or abusive dads would harp about how they don't want their kid to die, then not help the mother at all.
Woman's body, woman's choice.

Also, bogus 'charities' like those deserve to be sued and shut down.
Fucking pigs

This post has been edited by Annakyoyama358: Aug 13 2010, 10:18 AM

--------------------

Ultimate Goal:
jolteon.gif flareon.gif
Obtained:
+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 01:08 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.