Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Atheists
MrFuckUp
post Nov 17 2010, 04:50 AM
Post #21

breathe
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 80 019

team rocket

QUOTE(FancyGranola @ Nov 17 2010, 03:47 AM) *
QUOTE(FrenzyClinic @ Nov 17 2010, 12:38 AM) *
I'm atheist/agnostic.

I'm not attacking you personally, but there is a distinct difference in the words you just used. Atheist means you do not believe in God. Agnostic means you believe there might be a God, a cosmic being, or whatever.

Do not get those two mixed up because they lead to very different discussions. I do not like how kids these days just throw around vocabulary that they might not 100% understand and yet they use it like they know what they mean.

I know there's a difference, but I'm actually torn between the two. I want to think something bigger is out there, but I'm just not sure if it's a lie. I will decide eventually, though.

--------------------
"something will go here"

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Xires
post Nov 17 2010, 02:51 PM
Post #22

Tick Tock
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 97 475

Insect Collect

quagsire.gif Post Deleted

This post has been edited by xires: Nov 17 2010, 06:59 PM

--------------------

-Lulled in the countless chambers of the brain, our thoughts are linked by many a hidden chain; awake but one, and in, what myriads rise!-
+Quote Post

BarkingChaos
post Nov 17 2010, 04:10 PM
Post #23

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 112 100

Sandshrew Army

Ok, after reading some more of these posts...just ugh.

First, to whoever said that God will not fix problems or whatever, God is not a genie. He does not grant wishes. If you pray that you lose weight you will not magically wake up one day with the pounds gone. I hate this whole "God did not grant my wish so he does not exist" crap. I think of prayer as a way of communicating with him and telling him what you want, but that doesn't mean its ever going to happen.

@ xires

Ok, I live in the same type of holy rolly area that you live in, so I understand the whole "religion is a chore" thing. However, that still does not mean that every single christian in the world is like that so its unfair to generalize.

Take me for example. I believe that there is a higher power, but I also never go to church (I'd probably burst into flames the second I stepped foot in one), I dont believe in creationism, and I dont believe a whole lot in the bible. I dont believe much of what the church teaches. I am majoring in biology. theres no rule stating that you are not allowed to accept science. In fact, I DO Look at things scientifically. Most of the hatred of evolution comes from not understanding it. Charles Darwin was a Christian himself and his father was a preacher. However, thats all I'm going to say on THAT matter

This post has been edited by BarkAtTheMoon: Nov 17 2010, 04:14 PM
+Quote Post

ChocolateVanilla
post Nov 17 2010, 05:33 PM
Post #24

Not LOLing, Laughing Out Loud. :D
Group Icon

Member No.: 24 686

Active Squad

QUOTE(xires @ Nov 17 2010, 03:51 PM) *
1. I never said being an Atheist was awesome, I said I was awesome. Beleive me, If you saw who I was forced to be around compared to me, you would agree.
2. Where I come from, Religion IS a chore, and People Here must go to church.
3. I meant that I can actually look at things scientifically. Did you know that Evolution was considered untrue by the Christian church until just recently?
4. Please Remember that unless you know what that person has to deal with, you should hold back. If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

I don't think there is a Christian church, unless you want to go back a couple thousand of years. There are so many divinities of Christianity, and they all have contrasting views branched off from the idea that Jesus was the son of god. Though one of the many Christian Churches may have held evolution as untrue, others probably accepted it easily.

Which is kind of the whole beauty of it. Chances are, there is a belief out there that you can truly follow and believe. The belief of Atheism is NOT evil any more than the belief of Buddhism, Christianity, Muslim, Hinduism (etc.) is. But, there are people who can interpret that philosophy in an evil way. Any individual could decide that all other religions are wrong (and most of the big religions have had extreme sects, as well as Atheism) and go on a mass killing spree. That is evil, as there is no way to sugarcoat genocide on any level.

However, walking around my school, I have never met anyone who held such extreme views, which includes all of those beliefs I listed before. They are all pretty loving individuals, despite how there are probably hundreds of different interpretations of beliefs in the building.

This post has been edited by Yumie: Nov 17 2010, 05:34 PM

--------------------
Credit for Awesomely Awesome Pictures (click to show)

+Quote Post

BarkingChaos
post Nov 17 2010, 06:13 PM
Post #25

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Sandshrew Army

QUOTE(Yumie @ Nov 17 2010, 05:33 PM) *
However, walking around my school, I have never met anyone who held such extreme views, which includes all of those beliefs I listed before. They are all pretty loving individuals, despite how there are probably hundreds of different interpretations of beliefs in the building.

Be grateful for that and never move to Americas bible belt -_-2.gif I live in that region and trust me, thats where all the nuts are located. If anyone was to even MENTION evolution everyone would start to freak out. I one time heard someone say you need to be atheist to be a scientist which should demonstrate how crazy these people are that they cannot put aside their religious beliefs to even take the time to learn about science.

I wonder how many times I've contradicted myself in this thread dumblook.gif
+Quote Post

Xires
post Nov 17 2010, 06:52 PM
Post #26

Tick Tock
Group Icon

Member No.: 97 475

Insect Collect

sorry, I was just getting kinda pissed.gif . I should go back and delete that post so that It won't cause any more trouble. I think I'll do that now. Probably won't how up on these kind of discussions anymore though.~ quagsire.gif~

--------------------

-Lulled in the countless chambers of the brain, our thoughts are linked by many a hidden chain; awake but one, and in, what myriads rise!-
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Nov 17 2010, 08:37 PM
Post #27

I'm in space...space...spacespace
Group Icon

Member No.: 30 281

space team

QUOTE(BarkAtTheMoon @ Nov 17 2010, 07:13 PM) *
QUOTE(Yumie @ Nov 17 2010, 05:33 PM) *

Be grateful for that and never move to Americas bible belt -_-2.gif I live in that region and trust me, thats where all the nuts are located. If anyone was to even MENTION evolution everyone would start to freak out. I one time heard someone say you need to be atheist to be a scientist which should demonstrate how crazy these people are that they cannot put aside their religious beliefs to even take the time to learn about science.

I wonder how many times I've contradicted myself in this thread dumblook.gif

That's...interesting...

*contemplates moving to bible belt just for the lulz*

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-
+Quote Post

BarkingChaos
post Nov 17 2010, 09:45 PM
Post #28

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Sandshrew Army

QUOTE(xires @ Nov 17 2010, 06:52 PM) *
sorry, I was just getting kinda pissed.gif . I should go back and delete that post so that It won't cause any more trouble. I think I'll do that now. Probably won't how up on these kind of discussions anymore though.~ quagsire.gif~

I think it was just how you worded what you wanted to say made it sound kind of obnoxious. Looking back, I do understand what you were getting at and I do know all too well about that type of uber christian unsure.gif
+Quote Post

kyuudos
post Nov 17 2010, 09:55 PM
Post #29

PASTAAAAAAAA~
Group Icon

Member No.: 88 043

PWNED

QUOTE(bijoukaiba @ Nov 16 2010, 02:50 PM) *
Are atheists evil?

I am strongly against homophobia, sexism, pedophilia, and racism.
I occasionally participate in certain events for charity (such as running a 5k for charity, donating food, volunteering, etc.)
While I do like to eat meat, I am against animal cruelty.
I am described as a very loyal friend, and a caring person.
I donate blood.
I am very passionate about doing the right thing and seeking justice.
I want to end world hunger, and support world peace.
I love my family (including pets) and friends very much.
I want to help save the environment, as I find nature very beautiful.
I love the arts, particularly music and writing.
I want to be a pediatric neurologist and help kids overcome problems with their brain. After all, it would probably give my patients great hope to know that their neurologist once had epilepsy herself, but it didn't stop her from going to medical school.
I am clearly a human being like everyone else, capable of human emotions. I can be happy, sad, scared, or angry. I laugh and I cry. I have a brain, I have a heart, and I have a sense of humor.

And I am an atheist.

Holy crap you're just like me!
I, really, don't have a religion. I am not an atheist, and I do believe in God. But, however, I do not believe atheists are evil.
They have they're own religion, and that's cool with me. Just as long as they don't force me to become an athiest too. But they are not evil.

--------------------

Kyudo the Aura Squirrel
All Avatar credit goes to their owners!I own nothing!
I Claim: Otto, Ruki, Tammy, and Bob

Other Sites I'm On:
Tumblr

Groups/Shops/Dexes/and My Party (click to show)

Stuff Made 4 Me (click to show)

Credits (click to show)
+Quote Post

MrFuckUp
post Nov 17 2010, 11:52 PM
Post #30

breathe
Group Icon

Member No.: 80 019

team rocket

QUOTE(BarkAtTheMoon @ Nov 17 2010, 04:10 PM) *

First, to whoever said that God will not fix problems or whatever, God is not a genie. He does not grant wishes. If you pray that you lose weight you will not magically wake up one day with the pounds gone. I hate this whole "God did not grant my wish so he does not exist" crap. I think of prayer as a way of communicating with him and telling him what you want, but that doesn't mean its ever going to happen.

Well, when you're a kid, you tend to believe the dumbest of things. Such of these includes that God does exist and he does grant wishes/miracles. When I grew up, I realized I was chasing a star too high. So not only did I give up based on that, but logic took over. If God exists, where's the proof? He may as well be the longest living hoax known to man.

Prayer is a way of letting yourself go deep into thought and say things you can't bring yourself to say to someone else, even a trusted friend or relative. It doesn't matter if it works or not, it's just a way to get those demons out of your chest and skeletons out of the closet.

--------------------
"something will go here"

+Quote Post

Reyo
post Nov 18 2010, 03:11 AM
Post #31

Group Icon

space team

QUOTE(FrenzyClinic @ Nov 18 2010, 12:52 AM) *
Well, when you're a kid, you tend to believe the dumbest of things. Such of these includes that God does exist and he does grant wishes/miracles. When I grew up, I realized I was chasing a star too high. So not only did I give up based on that, but logic took over. If God exists, where's the proof? He may as well be the longest living hoax known to man.

Prayer is a way of letting yourself go deep into thought and say things you can't bring yourself to say to someone else, even a trusted friend or relative. It doesn't matter if it works or not, it's just a way to get those demons out of your chest and skeletons out of the closet.

Not sure how it is for others, but that comment always makes me rage a little inside. It just...assumes too much about the nature of a "God".

The second paragraph, however, I agree with completely. You know how some people write in their diaries about the days events? That's kind of like prayer, only prayer has become more of a stereotypical "Ask for free shit and start disbelieving when you don't get said free shit" activity. I remember going to a church group...thing where adult leaders translate the Christian faith to teenagers, and I remember one of them said that just sitting there and thinking to yourself is prayer, since a sentient God wold be able to "hear" it. I do that whole "just sitting there and thinking to yourself" thing every night before bed, and what I think about ranges from hope for the future, current desires, and recalling how awesome the day went.

To me, that says prayer is more therapy than it is a direct line to the "give you whatever you want" guy. I'd rather not take that away just because I was a greedy kid who didn't get the space rocket he asked for during prayer.

This post has been edited by Reyo: Nov 18 2010, 03:12 AM

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

+Quote Post

proxSam
post Nov 18 2010, 06:44 AM
Post #32

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 61 970

Pink Cat Brigade

Some of these posts make a lot of assumptions about religious people that I find a bit funny, mainly:

1.Not all religious people try to convert others or think people are going to hell for not believing in their religion.
--In Judaism, conversion is typically discouraged and proselytizing doesn't happen. Jews respect the beliefs of others, even if they think they are wrong because each person has the right to their own beliefs. The fact that someone else is not Jewish does not affect the life of someone who is so why make a big deal out of it?
Also, Jews don't believe in a hell. God didn't make people to punish them.

2.Christians are frequently lumped together when the beliefs of different branches contrast greatly.
--Please do a little research on the different types of Christianity before you describe what a "Christian" believes. For example, the Vatican allows Catholics to believe in evolution as long as you believe that he created humans in his own image and allows use of medical science to the degree where another human being is not being harmed to save another (i.e. abortion). Some Christian branches do not accept evolution or even allow the use of medicine such as vaccinations. Catholics are required to attend their mass every Sunday, while it is just heartily encouraged in other sects. The differences are vast, but since creationism vs evolution, science, and church were already mentioned in this thread, I chose those examples.

--------------------
+Quote Post

BarkingChaos
post Nov 18 2010, 10:39 AM
Post #33

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Sandshrew Army

QUOTE(FrenzyClinic @ Nov 17 2010, 11:52 PM) *
QUOTE(BarkAtTheMoon @ Nov 17 2010, 04:10 PM) *

Eh, I am far from a religious person. I was raised catholic, but I haven't been to church in over 10 years. I would say I have more of a Deist view (God created earth, then left us to fend for ourselves basically). Maybe God exists, maybe he doesnt. Maybe Christians are the ones who are wrong. Theres no way of knowing until we die. I'd like to think there is a God that you can turn to as you said in the second paragraph (Which is also what I said just in a different way).
+Quote Post

2ollux
post Nov 18 2010, 11:34 PM
Post #34

Like nunchucks, but with more Numbuh
Group Icon

Member No.: 34 960

;D

Are atheists evil?

Yes, but no more than anyone in any other religion.

Are atheists good?

Yes, but no more than anyone in any other religion.

--------------------
HEY PEOPLE! Pokemon Anrui is a text based Pokemon RPG. Check it out. :3 If you decide to join please tell me~ Thank you for wasting a few seconds reading this.
ME-

PODZ-

Awesome people~ <3

One day this signature will be pretty. One day.
+Quote Post

PinkiePie
post Nov 18 2010, 11:43 PM
Post #35

Sacred Guardian of the Ice-type
Group Icon

Member No.: 11 138

Cold as Ice

Atheists are not evil. However, the main reason SOME (as in, NOT ALL) people have problems with SOME (as in NOT ALL) Atheists is because they are too uncaring or insensitive to the big picture. They believe they will die, and their bodies will rot, and they will have no afterlife or physical presence thereafter.

Their beef with Atheists is this: have they ever considered what would happen if they turned out to be wrong about what happens when they die? Could they accept the consequences?

You could say no, or simply not care, because you know you're right. And you could be, I'm not here to make that assumption. You may say yes, though, and then you have to consider the alternative. Which is, what?

Hell, perhaps?

Who knows?

Atheists don't exist. The definition of the word 'atheist' is 'someone who believes there is no 'god' or spiritual world. This, by definition, means one of two things: either, you're not atheist, and are actually agnostic, because you aren't SURE if there's a 'god', OR, you are sure there is no 'god,' and you become as ignorant as you say Christians are.

Again, not here to say who's right. Just making a valid point. You could be wrong. Then what?

This post has been edited by Vincent Lance: Nov 18 2010, 11:45 PM

--------------------
This is my story series. I'm done posting the second book! Read it!

About me (click to show)
+Quote Post

proxSam
post Nov 19 2010, 01:15 AM
Post #36

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Pink Cat Brigade

QUOTE(Vincent Lance @ Nov 18 2010, 11:43 PM) *
OR, you are sure there is no 'god,' and you become as ignorant as you say Christians are.

Just pointing out that Christians aren't the only ones who believe in the monotheistic God, and certainly not the only ones who believe in one form or another of God or gods.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Nov 19 2010, 01:31 AM
Post #37

Group Icon

space team

QUOTE(Ruby Spritz @ Nov 19 2010, 02:15 AM) *
OR, you are sure there is no 'god,' and you become as ignorant as you say Christians are.

Just pointing out that Christians aren't the only ones who believe in the monotheistic God, and certainly not the only ones who believe in one form or another of God or gods.

Well yeah, though what that has to do with the certainty that some atheists have in the existence of a God I don't know.

--------------------

+Quote Post

proxSam
post Nov 19 2010, 01:49 AM
Post #38

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Pink Cat Brigade

QUOTE(Reyo @ Nov 19 2010, 01:31 AM) *

Well yeah, though what that has to do with the certainty that some atheists have in the existence of a God I don't know.

What I'm saying is that I'm sick of the God debate being mostly Christians vs Atheists and other faiths getting ignored. Jews and Muslims believe in the same idea of God Christians do. (I use the word "idea" referring to who Christians dub as God "the father" in their trinity since Jews and Muslims only believe the singular deity.) And tons of other people believe in a God or gods or something.

Lots of people have a religion and I'm tired of Atheists using mostly anti-Christian arguments to back up their point of view when there are so many other faiths that in my personal opinion make more sense than Christianity. (I'm NOT Christians for believing what they believe here. I'm just saying what works for me in this case.)

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Nov 19 2010, 02:05 AM
Post #39

Group Icon

space team

QUOTE(Ruby Spritz @ Nov 19 2010, 02:49 AM) *
QUOTE(Reyo @ Nov 19 2010, 01:31 AM) *

What I'm saying is that I'm sick of the God debate being mostly Christians vs Atheists and other faiths getting ignored. Jews and Muslims believe in the same idea of God Christians do. (I use the word "idea" referring to who Christians dub as God "the father" in their trinity since Jews and Muslims only believe the singular deity.) And tons of other people believe in a God or gods or something.

Lots of people have a religion and I'm tired of Atheists using mostly anti-Christian arguments to back up their point of view when there are so many other faiths that in my personal opinion make more sense than Christianity. (I'm NOT Christians for believing what they believe here. I'm just saying what works for me in this case.)

Then it sounds like you have a beef with the stereotype of who debates with religion, and not whether or not atheists are just as ignorant as the religious people they make fun of. You have a point, it's just...not really what we're talking about right now.

--------------------

+Quote Post

proxSam
post Nov 19 2010, 03:20 AM
Post #40

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Pink Cat Brigade

I think the idea of leaving out the other major religions while only focusing on one is ignorant. There are many viewpoints on God and religion I feel people should consider before forming educated and "non-ignorant" opinions.

--------------------
+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:26 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.