Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
"Under God" in the Pledge
LiteSpeed
post Jul 12 2011, 11:45 PM
Post #1

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 39 978

hue

So, for awhile now I've been hearing that "Under God" has always been in the pledge of allegiance, or that it hasn't but should stay, or that it has and shouldn't stay, etc. What are your beliefs on it? Should it stay? Should it go? Does it or does it not violate the First Amendment?

By the way, for those of you who think it's always been there, it hasn't. It was added in the '50s during a communist scare, I'm pretty sure because one of the leaders was atheist. Not quite sure if it was cause of the leader, but it was added in the 50s.

--------------------------

Personally, I feel it should go. Not just because I'm atheist, but not EVERY religion calls their god, well, God.
I also believe that if it stays, it shouldn't be mandatory to say, as I have gotten in some minor trouble for simply staying quiet during the "Under God" part.

--------------------

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

LordIceBreath
post Jul 13 2011, 12:00 AM
Post #2

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 100 157

Dream Team

I personally think it violates the first amendment. In my old school we got punished if we didn't say it. i felt really bad for this one Hindu kid in my class. I don't think it should be there.
+Quote Post

Keiiri
post Jul 13 2011, 12:31 AM
Post #3

Training Pokemon, like a Boss.
Group Icon

Member No.: 41 969

Favorite Pokemon!

I'm fine with it being there but I don't believe that anyone should be pressured into saying it, or punished for not saying it. It goes against freedom of Religion.

--------------------
Please click. I click back.

"We're meant to lose the people we love.
How else would we know how important they are to us?"
Rest in Peace, Mom. I love you and miss you! <3
August, 8, 1968 - July, 2, 2011

My Adoptables (click to show)

Banners/Other (click to show)
+Quote Post

roygbiv
post Jul 15 2011, 07:32 AM
Post #4

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 125 915

hg team

i always get in trouble for not saying the pledge,i aint praying to no flag.i think they should remove it completly.

--------------------
pokemon white friend code 3096 0916 2525
+Quote Post

Yamper
post Jul 15 2011, 07:34 AM
Post #5

Axew and Volcarona enthusiast
Group Icon

Member No.: 61 211

Invisible Kyurem

QUOTE(Keiiri @ Jul 13 2011, 06:31 AM) *
I'm fine with it being there but I don't believe that anyone should be pressured into saying it, or punished for not saying it. It goes against freedom of Religion.

This.

--------------------

Don't forget to love yourself.
Add me for daily clicks: 873/1000

[align=center]---

Community Thread Shiny List!

---[/align]
[align=right]Breeding Incentives: Mission Cards
[/align]
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Jul 16 2011, 12:22 AM
Post #6

I'm in space...space...spacespace
Group Icon

Member No.: 30 281

space team

I believe that there are much more pressing matters to tend to than half a sentence. Saying the pledge every morning goes away after High School. Seriously...it does. You can fight all you want for them to take it out, but chances are it won't even BE taken out until you're well done with ever having to say it.

So you know what I advise? Don't say it. Don't be a little jerkoff and make an ass of yourself while everyone ELSE is saying it by causing a ruckus (like this one kid at my school did...) just say the pledge up until that part...skip it...go back to saying it. If the teacher decides to be a little whore jerk (because I know it happens), just say you were taking a breath. If they persist, well shit......sometimes teachers are assholes. I've had my fare share of dick teachers. They're inevitable. Besides, I know as much as you do that most of the time you're just thinking about that homework you didn't do...or that test you're about to take. I know because I did it, and it doesn't just happen with the pledge of allegiance. Once you devote saying it to muscle memory, you're mind is going to wander to ninja dinosaurs and robot pirates until it's done and you're like "oh shit...we're done". You're gonna be saying it for the next 4 years...and that's it, and I say "that's it" because 4 years isn't really that long a time in retrospect. Once you're done having to say it every morning, it'll hit you...it's also around the time you start feeling old. People your age (or younger) will be getting engaged, you'll realize that they canceled all of your favorite TV shows a good 5 years ago (and you didn't even notice it) etc, but I'm rambling......point is: it's not that big a deal. Really...it isn't.

And is it just me, or does this have the whole "PETA vs. the town of 'fishkill'" vibe to it?

This post has been edited by Reyo: Jul 16 2011, 12:29 AM

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-
+Quote Post

Black Ice
post Jul 30 2011, 11:27 PM
Post #7

A New Era
Group Icon

Member No.: 28

Active Squad

I am in favour of "all or nothing." And since it isn't feasible to include all other deities, I think it should be removed. It's not that it offends me, but it basically promotes Christianity and any other God-religion and ignores every other one.

Same issue with the 9/11 cross memorial thing.

And if a public school has issues with anyone not saying the pledge, tell them you have no obligation to say it. If it's a private school, you're probably out of luck. I think they're allowed to have their own set of rules. But a public school can't enforce something so mundane as politely and respectfully sitting down for the pledge.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Calming Madman
post Aug 9 2011, 09:18 PM
Post #8

FINISH HIM.
Group Icon

Member No.: 131 527

3rd Street Saints

*bites lip*

I'm in the Military I fight for that damn flag,I respect it in every way possible.

But that's not the case. God is real. If he wasn't why would we be here? I've always said 'Under God' in the Pledge.

@Rileyyup.

*stares at you*

HOW THE FUCK WOULD YOU LIKE IT IF ALQUEDA HELD YOU GUNPOINT? Exactly read a damn history book son.

Millions of Men and Women have fought for that flag. RESPECT IT.

--------------------

Credit to cycloneblaze and NegativeDiamond.

I used to be a adventurer like you, until I took a arrow to the knee.
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Aug 10 2011, 10:07 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

space team

QUOTE(rileyup @ Jul 15 2011, 07:32 AM) *
i always get in trouble for not saying the pledge,i aint praying to no flag.i think they should remove it completly.

This post has been edited by Reyo: Aug 10 2011, 10:10 AM

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Aug 14 2011, 01:12 AM
Post #10

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

You know, this isn't some sort of spammy forum where you can go around and post a macro and just leave it at that. If you're going to post anything, at least contribute on top of that.

QUOTE(Heaven Falling @ Aug 9 2011, 10:18 PM) *
I'm in the Military I fight for that damn flag,I respect it in every way possible.
Petty nationalism. It may be a symbol for you, but to us it doesn't really mean anything. I live in this nation and I will continue to do so, I'm sure my loyalty is expressed more in that than anything.

But that's not the case. God is real. If he wasn't why would we be here? I've always said 'Under God' in the Pledge.
I don't even care if he's real, other people do not believe that he exists and that should be fine by you. If you fight for the flag, you also fight for the rights that protect one's right to not believe in god.

HOW THE FUCK WOULD YOU LIKE IT IF ALQUEDA HELD YOU GUNPOINT? Exactly read a damn history book son.
And this is where I ask you to calm down and take time to rationalize before you say anything.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Aug 28 2011, 09:08 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

space team

I just couldn't get over how rediculous it sounded, you're not "praying to a flag". You're not "praying" to anything, you're showing reverence to your country, and reflecting on the freedoms you have as a United States Citizen. You don't want to do that? I say again: "reflecting on the freedoms you have as a United States Citizen"

Either way it stands that there are definitely more dire things out there than "I don't want to say 'under God' in the pledge". If you don't want to say it, that's fine, but don't expect me to respect you if a) you start acting like an ass while other people are saying it because you're "expressing your right not to say it" or b) start whining that you shouldn't have to say it. Obviously, this thread isn't whining since it's a valid question to ask, but I've known people to sit there and beligerantly argue the point that they shouldn't have t say it when I say "...then don't say it?"

"BUT WHY DO I HAVE TO!?" isn't a very clever response to that...

--------------------

+Quote Post

Larzsi
post Sep 4 2011, 07:04 PM
Post #12

zzz
Group Icon

Member No.: 143 835

Friends

Lol so much for respecting the beliefs of others. Not very 'American', is it?

Anyways, I hate that it's in the pledge. It just proves even more that America isn't the "religion friendly" place it claims to be.

--------------------

+Quote Post

PawsrentOrigin
post Sep 8 2011, 09:00 PM
Post #13

Seasons Greetings!
Group Icon

Member No.: 126 421

Active Squad

I request it be changed to my religion, "one nation, under Flying Spaghetti Monster, with blah blah blabitty blah blah blah blah." Ramenman.gif

This post has been edited by PawsrentOrigin: Sep 8 2011, 09:00 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Sep 16 2011, 06:13 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

space team

QUOTE(KyoushiroTheSilver @ Sep 4 2011, 07:04 PM) *

Lol so much for respecting the beliefs of others. Not very 'American', is it?

Anyways, I hate that it's in the pledge. It just proves even more that America isn't the "religion friendly" place it claims to be.

I doubt the government put that in there as a foot in the face of anyone who doesn't believe in God. My guess is it's in there because the consensus religion of the group of people who came up with it was something related to God.

QUOTE(PawsrentOrigin @ Sep 8 2011, 09:00 PM) *
I request it be changed to my religion, "one nation, under Flying Spaghetti Monster, with blah blah blabitty blah blah blah blah." Ramenman.gif

Again?

--------------------

+Quote Post

The great Cthulh...
post Sep 16 2011, 06:26 PM
Post #15

Humans taste like chicken
Group Icon

Member No.: 65 358

The pokes

QUOTE(PawsrentOrigin @ Sep 8 2011, 11:00 PM) *

I am a pastafarian my self ... may he bless you all , ramen

--------------------
Working on new signature , meanwhile watch this monkey take a bath
I will no longer make a new signature , enjoy the freaking monkey >C

+Quote Post

Calming Madman
post Sep 17 2011, 12:44 AM
Post #16

FINISH HIM.
Group Icon

3rd Street Saints

Hmm...How do you non-believers think we were created? MAGIC DUST?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Skins T
post Sep 17 2011, 01:52 AM
Post #17

Feel the Fire, Break your Vision
Group Icon

Member No.: 68 079

Favourite Pokemon

While I'm not American, if I were, I would not agree with it being in the Pledge. It wasn't in there originally, and it shouldn't have been added.

If freedom of religion is used to keep it in there, what about those religions who don't pray to a God (Buddhism for example)? Does it not violate their freedom?

--------------------

Click above for party~
+Quote Post

Judool
post Sep 17 2011, 02:44 AM
Post #18

yooooooooooooo
Group Icon

Member No.: 30 429

QUOTE(Rainbow Kang @ Sep 16 2011, 10:44 PM) *
Hmm...How do you non-believers think we were created? MAGIC DUST?
Magic dust? Are you kidding me? Haven't you ever heard of the Big Bang theory, and the whole idea of evolution?

But really, I don't see why it should be in the pledge either. When we say the pledge in school, I just don't say it. I find it a little bit sad that we can't just respect the beliefs of others and just remove it, though.

This post has been edited by Fatal Error: Sep 17 2011, 02:45 AM

--------------------

3DS FC: 4682-9068-5409 (be sure to send me a PM with your code too!!)
Nintendo ID: Stinko
tumblr
+Quote Post

Calming Madman
post Sep 17 2011, 04:19 AM
Post #19

FINISH HIM.
Group Icon

3rd Street Saints

In My Perspective.

People from other countries and have different religion don't want to say it. That's fine by me.

But straight up Americans? No. Just No.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Skins T
post Sep 17 2011, 06:53 AM
Post #20

Feel the Fire, Break your Vision
Group Icon

Member No.: 68 079

Favourite Pokemon

QUOTE(Rainbow Kang @ Sep 17 2011, 07:19 PM) *
But straight up Americans? No. Just No.

Riiight.

Because Americans are only Christian. :|

--------------------

Click above for party~
+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th March 2024 - 10:53 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.