Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Feminism
oumaghirga
post Mar 23 2014, 10:37 PM
Post #1

Psychologist in Training
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 27 467

The Bros

Depending on where you grew up and what values you were raised to have, feminism can seem like an outrageous idea, or something worth supporting. Discuss your opinions here.

My personal opinion (click to show)
(click to show)

--------------------
Currently a student at the University of Massachusetts Amherst studying in the field of psychology.
[ Pinterest || Steam || Instagram || StumbleUpon ]

"The world is a diagonal... I am the balancing point."

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

jayrachi
post Mar 24 2014, 03:03 AM
Post #2

Janitor
Group Icon

Member No.: 133 427

wat

I feel as though feminism has run its course and served its purpose, and that eventually the leftovers of the centuries of a sexist society will be swallowed up.

Is it really necessary nowadays? Eh.

--------------------
+Quote Post

shambles
post Mar 24 2014, 11:15 AM
Post #3

I rolled a one. Again.
Group Icon

Member No.: 37 687

Assemble!

Is feminism still relevant? A resounding YES.

Sexism is definitely not as much of a problem today as it was even so shortly as thirty years ago, however, like racism, it has become almost an accepted part of our day-to-day lives. It may not be as visible as before, but in a way that makes it all the more important that it be rooted out. Consider rape culture: a quiet, damaging mindset that many people share, perhaps without even realizing it. Or slut-shaming.

Both are sexist in the implication that women are meant to carry themselves in a pre-established way, to serve a purpose: to remain chaste and modest until marriage, and any woman who strays from this is somehow lesser. That the number of sexual partners that a woman possesses is somehow a direct inverse of her worth. That her body is not her own, but rather the property of the man who will someday marry her.

And that's speaking only of North America. Take a journey east, and it opens up an entirely new can of worms.

This post has been edited by shambles: Mar 24 2014, 11:16 AM

--------------------
previously doped up dolly.

+Quote Post

jayrachi
post Mar 24 2014, 11:29 AM
Post #4

Janitor
Group Icon

Member No.: 133 427

wat

The rape culture thing has always been confusing to me, considering society is generally less tolerable of women getting raped than when a male gets raped by another woman (which is still a sexism leftover since most people assume the male wanted it). Slut-shaming I can agree with. Like I said, leftovers of a post-sexist society. Even now compared to ten years ago, or even five, it's become much more acceptable to have loads of casual sex if you're a female. The gap between male and female's income is lesser and lesser. The only matters that I really think absolutely needs to be addressed is females getting draft cards, and the accessibility of the morning-after pill.

East is a theocracy. That is a whole new can of worms with Sharia Law (in which a woman can be put in prison for being raped, even). You couldn't pay me to go to the Holy Lands.

This post has been edited by Infestissumam: Mar 24 2014, 11:30 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

shambles
post Mar 24 2014, 12:23 PM
Post #5

I rolled a one. Again.
Group Icon

Member No.: 37 687

Assemble!

Rape culture refers to the idea that a woman (or man, I suppose) can deserve to be raped because of her attitude, attire, level of intoxication, etc. I'm sure you've heard 'she was asking for it' before. And it IS common sense not to wear a skimpy outfit in a questionable part of town, but that is HAS to be common sense? That otherwise men supposedly see her as an open season call? That's sad. In a sense, it implies that an assault in response is acceptable, expected even. As a man, I can tell you that one of the most harmful stereotypes is that we're unconscionable monsters; that we see a short skirt and suddenly lose control of our urges.

And it's not just society. Media still commonly offers its own sexist views on female sexuality in movies, television shows and music. Female sexuality in mainstream media is usually (and I say usually because of course there are exceptions, nothing is definite) portrayed as negative: picture a villainess. Typically she will be in a darker colour palette, brooding and ... seductive. Promiscuous. The evil, adulterous force pitted against our sweet, virginal heroine.

This perception is not something that will go away organically. Would that we were so lucky, but similar views have been far too prominent for far too long to make way without a nudge.

At the end of the day, I do 100% agree that women should not prosper at the expense of men, but rather they should aspire to grow and learn together. Maybe it's just the title of 'feminst' that's become outdated and obsolete, which is why I prefer to think of myself as an equalist. c:

--------------------
previously doped up dolly.

+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Apr 4 2014, 01:13 AM
Post #6

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

Let me go into the fact that many MANY cases of rape go unreported for many reasons. And those that do get reported don't have that much of a chance of getting resolved in a reasonable way - there are girls that have been raped but the rapist got off scot-free generally.

Fact is that woman on man rape doesn't happen nearly as often as the other way around. I do agree that men who have been raped should also be seeking help, but women place that as apart of feminism due to the myriad of cases that apply to them especially compared to men.

As a man it's easy to really simplify feminism and say that it works, but bear in mind that others will disagree heavily and it's a lot to do with perceptions. Many in our society don't seem open to a woman being a leader, as crazy as that sounds.

The "white male" mentality is a thing and the issue is that many white males do not understand why. It's very easy to brush those things off when you're under that mentality. I do agree with what you are saying in concept but the implementation is quite a bit different than you're imagining.

--------------------
+Quote Post

WaitingforthePUN...
post Apr 5 2014, 11:58 PM
Post #7

Do you get it? It's a Link Cable!
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 45 889

Such Egg-celence!

Feminism is still a resounding issue as shown through literature. Throughout history, writers have written and are continuing to write to illuminate the problems that societies have towards their audiences. The issues Kate Chopin, Charlotte Perkins Gilman, and even Mary Shelley have wielded in their work are still being written in today's society. While it may seems silly, Disney's Frozen is a good example. Disney has broken the barrier of the traditional Prince Charming and Disney princess and has moved on to issue a sense of feminine strength among protagonists addressing issues such as true love, which has been addressed by Kate Chopin in "Desiree's Baby," Charlotte Perkins Gilman in "The Yellow Wallpaper," and Mary Shelley in Frankenstein.

--------------------
Click Here

I am back!

Stuff People have Sprited for me ^^ (click to show)
+Quote Post

The Unholy Diver
post May 8 2014, 09:32 PM
Post #8

The asteriotypical one
Group Icon

From: The wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell
Member No.: 161 989

Z's Team (so far)

Is feminism outrageous?
Well, It depends on weather feminism or "feminism" is addressed, as I promise they are two clearly different issues.
Feminism, as in the dictionary definition you provided, is perfectly acceptable, in fact it shouldn't need to exist as a term anymore, it should just be a reality. There shouldn't be any conflict against it. Although no two humans are equal (and never will or should be), that doesn't change the fact that steriotypes shouldn't be acted so strongly upon as to judge an entire person's worth before even meeting them. The only thing that should be equal about two humans ever is their amount of freedom, be it physical freedom or freedom from judgement.
"feminism" as per the movement is completely ridiculous today. Perhaps it had it's place in history, but now it's outdated and starting to become as sexist as the anti-feminists. You can see it affecting modern day society if a woman says something that remotely sounds stereotypical verses a man saying it. As long as it puts down the gender of the speaker, it's usually for some reason acceptable, but if it doesn't, then it's "sexist". Furthermore, if a woman puts down men, it's still acceptable regardless and the woman usually (because like somebody already said, there's always exceptions to the rule, so i say usually) is not even remotely branded as a sexist.
It's completely unjust. Lol it's kind of hippocrytical in the country I'm in since our pledge that we're pretty much indoctrinated with directly states this country as "one nation... with liberty and justice for all".

--------------------
Thanks to the mobile site, I'm back on gpx!

I CAN CLICK BACK NOW

credit (click to show)
+Quote Post

Time Traveller
post Jul 4 2014, 12:50 PM
Post #9

Felled Demon Of Midnight Sun
Group Icon

Member No.: 220 939

I battle with myself

i'm a girl, but i think it's stupid

--------------------
+Quote Post

Indigo League
post Oct 14 2014, 06:09 PM
Post #10

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 202 094

Active Squad

Feminism has taken a strange turn as far as I can see. Are men and women equal now? No. There are still areas where I know that women are being paid a little less then men (even by just a couple dimes an hour), however that is a small feat... what is bothering me is the fact that no man should EVER touch a woman, but when a woman hits a man, its considered funny and the man should be shamed further because he cannot fight back. That is unfair to me.

I am a woman, and darn proud of it. I would not let anyone walk all over me ever. However I will never hit a man and expect not to be hit back. Yeah a man can do more damage for the most part, but think about it, when it comes to serial killers and bullies, women are far more vicious as history tells.

So yeah maybe women are seen more as objects than men are still to this day, but they are generally objects to care for, while men are shamed when they are being abused. Feminism - the fact that men and women are equal - still has a long way to go before it will ever be a thing in our modern day society. Giving one gender a privilege over another for any reason whatsoever should never be okay
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:51 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.