Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
8 Pages V  « < 6 7 8  
Closed TopicStart new topic
December Events
Comfey
post Jan 2 2018, 05:39 PM
Post #141

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 163 884

Active Squad

QUOTE(x Sam @ Jan 2 2018, 05:03 PM) *
I'm terribly sorry that an arrangement of pixels is so dear to you that, despite it being answered multiple times it still seems to be tossed about.

I have given enough statement in regards to it. I have nothing more to say on the matter.

Just let me point out: For someone who is trying to get through work, university, EXAMS, I barely get 5 minutes to myself. I understand the frustration, but have you taken into consideration the frustration I'm getting when it's constantly being brought up?

Yes, I have. Have you considered a majority of the people on GPX don't even talk to you, let alone know what goes on in your life? I've already stated several times I understand stress and busywork, and I have also said to put that first in your priorities, but not everyone is going to act empathetic. You seem to think this is such a huge deal, when in reality I don't care what isn't added right away. I can live without these pixels just as easily as I can live without this website, and if you need to get life priorities done first, go ahead; all the power to you, and I wish you the best of luck. I'm just pointing out where the source of the problem might be.

QUOTE(Zerxer @ Jan 2 2018, 05:07 PM) *
QUOTE(Comfey @ Jan 2 2018, 03:32 PM) *
I completely agree with SilverPT's post. These complaints are nowhere near what toxicity actually is, and they are still not really unwarranted considering how much has been announced only to be forgotten about, despite what Zerxer says. Not everyone on this website today was here 2 years ago to read a post that the website's development would be slowing down. I know I wasn't (and just because I joined in 2012 doesn't mean I saw it; I forgot about this website until mid last year). And in the end, a broken promise is still a broken promise.

Here you go. We're actually coming up on 3 full years in March. Consider this my second time saying that the site is essentially living on frozen in time, and posts complaining that not enough is being done are in fact unwarranted because of that. We've actually done more than was promised, in a lot of ways.

This doesn't address what I said at all. Lots of people on GPX don't do literally everything they expect you to. They aren't going to dig around for a topic that was posted almost 3 years ago and probably buried under a sleuth of other posts the week after. Expecting that of hundreds of random people is downright unrealistic, and claiming peoples' complaints are unwarranted because of a topic posted 3 years ago that most people wouldn't even know existed is absurd. It's practically as good as looking for an excuse not to accept simple criticism from an outsider's perspective, one who has no clue what goes on behind the scenes. I apologize if this comes off as brash, but there's really no way to word it without being frank.

TL;DR: I understand. It's frustrating. it hurts to see most of the work you've done be underappreciated, and it hurts especially when you're busy and stressful and need support the most. But when you're getting legitimate complaints, and throwing complaints back, what good is that doing anyone?

If anyone wants to talk to me more about this, reply to me directly using PMs so this topic doesn't get flooded.

This post has been edited by Comfey: Jan 2 2018, 05:46 PM

--------------------
I make music! Check out my Soundcloud here
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Necrozma
post Jan 2 2018, 05:42 PM
Post #142

Hello world
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 250 262

Active Squad

I just want to say thank you to the staff for keeping this site running. Though it may not be as fancy or up-to-date as some of the newer Pokemon sites, I still enjoy playing here.

I'm sorry if this next part sounds critical, I am not intending to criticize anyone here. I'm just wondering: how did something that was supposed to be fun (the raffle) generate so much complaining? It's a rhetorical question, not one I actually want an answer to. I've just been thinking about as I read this thread.

This post has been edited by Necrozma: Jan 2 2018, 05:42 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Letan
post Jan 2 2018, 05:46 PM
Post #143

Keep Moving Forward
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 1 219

Lugia Hype

QUOTE(Comfey @ Jan 2 2018, 05:39 PM) *
This doesn't address what I said at all. Lots of people on GPX don't do literally everything they expect you to. They aren't going to dig around for a topic that was posted almost 3 years ago and probably buried under a sleuth of other posts the week after. Expecting that of hundreds of random people is downright unrealistic, and claiming peoples' complaints are unwarranted because of a topic posted 3 years ago that most people wouldn't even know existed is absurd. It's practically as good as looking for an excuse not to accept simple criticism from an outsider's perspective, one who has no clue what goes on behind the scenes. I apologize if this comes off as brash, but there's really no way to word it without being frank.

TL;DR: I understand. It's frustrating. it hurts to see most of the work you've done be underappreciated, and it hurts especially when you're busy and stressful and need support the most. But when you're getting legitimate complaints, and throwing complaints back, what good is that doing anyone?

QUOTE(SilverPT @ Jan 2 2018, 09:46 AM) *
To start this, I don't see how this type of complaining inserts itself in being toxic. I really don't. And since you're a game dev, I'm sure that you know what a toxic community/complaints is/are (ie. No Man's Sky/Pokémon Go).

Anyway, you got it wrong and I apologize if it wasn't explicit enough. I've expressed this before (and I don't blame you for not reading it), but when I said/say that "there's nothing being made" it's not in a sense that the staff is just laying back and not caring. I'm aware that "small" content (as in writing explorations and spriting novelties/new 'mons/new forms) is being made. It's, as I said, "small" content (I consider "major" content as something completely new or a rework of some sorts; it has nothing to do with people not putting effort on it). Therefore there's no need to post screenshots proving anything or calling me a liar (as I've not insulted anyone here and always tried to help when criticizing).
Nothing is being made to change the situation we're in. To get new users or maintain old ones here. And it's true that the interest in this franchise is dwelling over the years (natural course with almost every videogame franchise), but every year that we get a game released, new people buy it. Kids/teens that just got into it. Adults that regained the interest. And we're not capitalizing on that. And we can.

Regarding your mental health issues, I'm sorry to hear about that. But it goes accordingly to what I've said in my previous post. If you (staff) need help, ask for it. Would you've reached that state if the staff team had more spriters that could have taken loads of work off your shoulders? If contributors left the site, open the application process again. It didn't worked that time, but it can work now. Accept someone that can evolve and progress in their work even if at the moment they don't met the criteria. Having one more person helping is better than having none.

If people complain, it's because they care. And they're willing to help, imo. Otherwise it's senseless to criticize something that you care about and not have any idea how to improve it. I understand that it seems that we, users, complain too much. But that only happens because you, staff, want to release something as soon as possible and for some reason, can't (which as happened often lately). On top of being frustrated, you already know that someone is going to complain. And then that happens again. And you get frustrated and someone complains. It's the snowball effect. A vicious cycle. I know how that feels. I've been on that side for 3 years. I had friendships that ended or turned sour because of that. I had no access to the server for 1 year (with the admin being unreachable and not caring at all) and when I finally had it, my coding knowledge was near 0%. And now I know why people complained, what my mistakes were and how I could have reached for help. That's what I'm trying to do here and it seems that I'm not alone, which is good. I would prefer to have a community that has a voice and can express themself rather than a community that is pleased and grateful with what they've. Simply because the first community is going to try to change something and the second is going to let the project die out.

You guys are both assholes that need to be taught a valuable lesson.

Treat your content creators better if you enjoy their content. Leave if you don't. Neither of you understand how to positively give constructive feedback; complaint isn't how it's done.

Since you didn't get the hint the last time, I'm taking Wymsy's advice she gave me last night and leaving immediately. Clearly it's not worth my time to finish up gen 7.

Thread's done, I'm out.

--------------------

=- Game Dev, currently making a game called Cursed Seasons. I tweet about it sometimes. -=
http://cursedseasons.tumblr.com/
Discord is a thing

+Quote Post

Zerxer
post Jan 2 2018, 05:53 PM
Post #144

Zerkadelic
Group Icon

Group: Root Administrators
Member No.: 2

My Favorites

QUOTE(Necrozma @ Jan 2 2018, 04:42 PM) *
I'm sorry if this next part sounds critical, I am not intending to criticize anyone here. I'm just wondering: how did something that was supposed to be fun (the raffle) generate so much complaining? It's a rhetorical question, not one I actually want an answer to. I've just been thinking about as I read this thread.

I understand you said it's a rhetorical question, but I am sure it's something a lot of outliers are wondering, so it's one I'm going to respond to.

Most event threads tend to go this route, as do a lot of regular threads like the monthly community thread (at least with intertwined complaining in them). That's why a few of the staff are suddenly up in arms and talking about toxicity, because this isn't a one-time occurrence, it is something that happens all the time. Sometimes there is a small bit of reason behind it, such as the end prize not lining up with the original post which mentioned a new Pokémon, but we usually have a good reason for it (as I had already given), other times it is just users not being happy with the result. It is typically a vocal minority though, with a large silent majority that are happy (or at least content) with how things are going.

I will say though that this definitely isn't new... even back when the site was in active development, and there was a lot more activity, we still had a lot of vocal complaining (some of it by the same folks that are still around and unhappy today). It's easy enough for me to shrug off and move on, because I know I do what I can and that's that, but a lot of the other staff have just been having a rough time so this isn't making things easier for them. It has probably played a part in staff, from admin to contributor, losing interest in the site over the years though.

I'm going to let this thread end now that December is over and I think everything that could be said, by both sides, has already been said. It's not worth the back and forth at this point, at least not in this event thread.

--------------------
Want a rotating avatar like mine? Check out my website: randimg!
Thanks to all of the people in this thread and this thread for the various avatars!

Note that I'm on an uncertain hiatus.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 6 7 8
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2019 - 02:16 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2019 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.