Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

READ ME FIRST

DO NOT make any 'click my eggs/Pokémon' threads/posts or any 'what is this egg' threads/posts or you WILL be warned 10% instantly!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Unown system still broken?
Tyranisaur
post Dec 4 2010, 06:01 PM
Post #1

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 47 812

Totally...useless

So here we have this fancy new way of obtaining the last pokemon on the site that is meant to not be completely random. I don't really want to suggest anything, but rather start a discussion around this pokemon.

At the start unowns flooded the lab, I've been told. So the staff made all the unowns count as one uncommon egg when you look at them as one, while the individual letters used be uncommons. This has been the system up until now. But almost a year ago we got achievements, one for collecting all the unowns. So now it's suddenly good to get all unowns, well really sometime before then. Ditto was in the same position with that single pokemon being a rare. These two are special because they can't breed. So in May ditto is made common to stop people thing it should be as rare as it was. At that time we were told to not mention unown because something was coming, basically the exploration system. In late September we get explorations, but the unown exploration won't be coming before the start of December anyway. So basically here we are, with the system that is supposed to fix the broken unown system.

But I'd like to say that some of the recent 5th gen pokemon are already more in numbers ans have more owners than the unowns. We basically have a total of 8.000 unowns in total on this site, don't shoot me if that number is not correct. And we have 63.000 users. That makes one unown per 8 users. This is horrible, because we need 28 different unowns per person to get that achievement. And I don't really think the total number of unowns will shoot up enough to make unowns common enough to make it less rare. We can do the exploration once every 20 days, which I totally see the point of. We shouldn't be able to do 25 explorations in no time either.

I'd to mention how unown is obtained in the actual games. They are in separate places, where the only thing you can find is unowns. This does make it very easy to find when you are looking for them. The challenge is to catch every letter. Unowns in the game is a collection in itself that is way more easy to complete than the rest of the pokedex.

My unown collection on the site is currently only 5 letters, yeah I haven't really been trying as hard as other have. I want to spend my time on other things than constantly refreshing the lab, especially when I end up getting other people's failed summons fairly quickly. Just like with the ditto case unown should be based on effort to get, not luck solely because it's not breedable. That is why I like the exploration. But really, should it take me 1 year and 3 months to get these be effort? That is more or less the same amount of time I've been on the site, and with how I do on here I feel that I deserve something.

--------------------

All my stuff is viewable by everyone on my public page.
Make trinket offers faster

The Discord chat is a nice way to hang out with other users.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

samike
post Dec 4 2010, 06:13 PM
Post #2

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 36 406

Active Squad

Last time I checked, Alphabet Soup was on one of the level 4 achievements. So its in the same category as say, Godsend or Legendary Collector.

Also, you clearly haven't been trying as hard as others have. I am not one of the most active people on this site, I rarely put in more than an hour or two a day. Yet I collected the unowns one or two months back.

One of the best things about GPX is that there are a number of very difficult goals for people to try to achieve, some people like to shiny hunt, some go for dex entries, and some go for achievements, while even others go for stats.

Now there is a new method for getting unowns. That makes 3 total (Lab, Cypress, Exploration). This system is fine, and if you put hard effort in for 2-3 months like I did, you can easily collect them all.

--------------------
Parties:

Thanks to kingofjazz for the unown D!
Thanks to calisto2 for the unown L!
Thanks to Blake769/Grizzly for unown ?!

Also: My VDex :P

+Quote Post

Rofl Copter
post Dec 4 2010, 06:22 PM
Post #3

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 43 628

Sought Shinies

The thing is, most people can't put in such effort for that long. I along with alot of other people would rather click, hatch eggs and play the site properly, instead of sitting their mindlessly refreshing for so long. I've got 16/28 Unown (or something like that) and that was from alot of intense refreshing.

Why did Ditto become common, due to bitching and moaning (and to annoy people who already had a Ditto), whereas Unown is still ignored.

--------------------

Doctor Octopus made this beasty thing. Go check her out!

+Quote Post

Zakariah
post Dec 4 2010, 06:22 PM
Post #4

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 112 377

Active Squad

Tyranisaur I see where you are going and I agree with you fully.

However I think the current system is good enough for now and is fair to all users new and old. I don't like that it'll take so long to get all 28 but that is the point an there are enough other things on the site to keep us busy in the meantime.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Letan
post Dec 4 2010, 06:23 PM
Post #5

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 1 219

Lugia Hype

QUOTE(Tyranisaur @ Dec 4 2010, 06:01 PM) *
But I'd like to say that some of the recent 5th gen pokemon are already more in numbers ans have more owners than the unowns. We basically have a total of 8.000 unowns in total on this site, don't shoot me if that number is not correct. And we have 63.000 users. That makes one unown per 8 users. This is horrible, because we need 28 different unowns per person to get that achievement. And I don't really think the total number of unowns will shoot up enough to make unowns common enough to make it less rare. We can do the exploration once every 20 days, which I totally see the point of. We shouldn't be able to do 25 explorations in no time either.

Yes, and you forgot to include the fact that only 300 users have done the exploration so far, and that the actual amount of active users is definitely less than 63k. Not to mention that you're basing this assumption around an exploration that isn't even a week old. No one said you have to go for achievements, so I fail to see why this is "unfair".

The whole purpose of GPX+ is going after your personal goals. If you personally want Unown, you do the Exploration. Not everyone wants them badly enough to flock to the Exploration and rush through it. So for all you and I know, of that aforementioned 1:8 ratio, those 7 others are either inactive, haven't gotten around to doing the Exploration yet, or just plain not interested in getting an Unown any time soon.

And by the way, I have 1 Unown, and have been here much longer than you have, and I find the system to be fine the way it is. Don't fix what ain't broke.

--------------------
[align=center]

=- Game Dev, currently making a game called Cursed Seasons. I tweet about it sometimes. -=
http://cursedseasons.tumblr.com/
Discord is a thing

[/align]
+Quote Post

Zerxer
post Dec 4 2010, 06:26 PM
Post #6

Zerkadelic
Group Icon

Group: Root Administrators
Member No.: 2

My Favorites

QUOTE(Agent P @ Dec 4 2010, 06:22 PM) *
whereas Unown is still ignored.

And yet a new Exploration was just released to specifically give you an Unown egg you're missing. You said you're missing 12, well that gives you another goal on the site then, to try and either find the rest in the lab or wait it out and do the Exploration several times.

A system isn't broken just because it actually has difficult and time consuming goals. Look at it from another perspective. Imagine you could accomplish all the goals here quickly, wouldn't you get fairly bored with the game and go inactive for awhile? A lot of people would. Goals keep the game refreshing.

--------------------
Want a rotating avatar like mine? Check out my website: randimg!
Thanks to all of the people in this thread and this thread for the various avatars!

+Quote Post

samike
post Dec 4 2010, 06:27 PM
Post #7

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 36 406

Active Squad

QUOTE(Agent P @ Dec 4 2010, 07:22 PM) *
The thing is, most people can't put in such effort for that long. I along with alot of other people would rather click, hatch eggs and play the site properly, instead of sitting their mindlessly refreshing for so long. I've got 16/28 Unown (or something like that) and that was from alot of intense refreshing.

Why did Ditto become common, due to bitching and moaning (and to annoy people who already had a Ditto), whereas Unown is still ignored.

I don't understand, especially the phrase "play the site properly." Can you please link me to the page where it details the proper way of spending your time on this site?

But I do understand some people's frustration at getting this achievement, but if the admins made getting unowns easier, then by that logic they should make getting legends easier so you can complete that set? Or make interacting easier so you can get feed a country?

I understand that unowns are common in the games...but Phione is also very uncommon (and Zorua too I think). So it's give and take. The admins decide the rarities.

--------------------
Parties:

Thanks to kingofjazz for the unown D!
Thanks to calisto2 for the unown L!
Thanks to Blake769/Grizzly for unown ?!

Also: My VDex :P

+Quote Post

Rofl Copter
post Dec 4 2010, 06:30 PM
Post #8

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 43 628

Sought Shinies

QUOTE(Zerxer @ Dec 5 2010, 10:26 AM) *
QUOTE(Agent P @ Dec 4 2010, 06:22 PM) *
whereas Unown is still ignored.

And yet a new Exploration was just released to specifically give you an Unown egg you're missing. You said you're missing 12, well that gives you another goal on the site then, to try and either find the rest in the lab or wait it out and do the Exploration several times.

A system isn't broken just because it actually has difficult and time consuming goals. Look at it from another perspective. Imagine you could accomplish all the goals here quickly, wouldn't you get fairly bored with the game and go inactive for awhile? A lot of people would. Goals keep the game refreshing.

My bad about the Unown is ignored part, I completely forgot about the exploration (is in the middle of TBD and basically forgot about it)

Maybe I'm just frustrated about it because I'm not a patient person, or maybe it's because I think it's way too time consuming. But oh well, it is a pretty touchy subject.

--------------------

Doctor Octopus made this beasty thing. Go check her out!

+Quote Post

Tyranisaur
post Dec 4 2010, 06:46 PM
Post #9

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Totally...useless

Ok fine, it's fully acceptable to say that refreshing the lab all the time and hoping for an unown to be there, that is fully something called effort. I't not like I'm demanding to get all the unowns in the near few amount of months or anything, I just want to discuss the case.

Some of the counter arguments against me aren't all really good and precise either. The 1:8 rate where 7 of 8 is inactive might be true, but this is for one unown, not all of the set. Even if I did go with that logic the amount who got alphabet soup is still 11. And during the ditto case one of the arguments used by the staff was 400 dittos on 40k users.

Also no, I am absolutely against making legends more common if unowns would be more common, most already are more common than unown either way.

And I think a lot of users want to be good to other people and click them back, which of course takes time. Getting shines is also something a lot of user will end up doing.

Yeah, the easy goals thing. I do agree, goals shouldn't be [i]too[/] easy. But hell, not too hard either. Now wlphabet soup is at least reduced to just being time consuming, like most other things on here.

--------------------

+Quote Post

pyreflydust
post Dec 4 2010, 08:26 PM
Post #10

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 65 432

Watergun Army

and with how I do on here I feel that I deserve something.

This part amuses me so much. You deserve something? What is this entitled attitude about? You know what you're going for on here, what the achievements and explorations are. Sure, you're active. You want an extra special prize for it?

This quote right here makes it hard to take anything else you've said in this thread seriously because it makes it seem like the only reason you want it to be easier to obtain unown is so you can get the achievement. It's not a hard exploration and it can be done in much under 24 hours, especially for someone as active as you. So it takes some time, it's a much better system than getting them in the past was and I honestly think it is a great way since you don't have to keep refreshing the lab, you actually have to work instead of being lucky.

--------------------

+Quote Post

nokrow889
post Dec 4 2010, 09:09 PM
Post #11

what would you do for a Klondike bar?
Group Icon

Member No.: 24 628

Pokemon Pearl

QUOTE(Little Alien Girl @ Dec 4 2010, 08:26 PM) *

This part amuses me so much. You deserve something? What is this entitled attitude about? You know what you're going for on here, what the achievements and explorations are. Sure, you're active. You want an extra special prize for it?

This quote right here makes it hard to take anything else you've said in this thread seriously because it makes it seem like the only reason you want it to be easier to obtain unown is so you can get the achievement. It's not a hard exploration and it can be done in much under 24 hours, especially for someone as active as you. So it takes some time, it's a much better system than getting them in the past was and I honestly think it is a great way since you don't have to keep refreshing the lab, you actually have to work instead of being lucky.

and not only that you dont waste time grabbing the eggs of unown you already had you get one you dont have everytime (unless you have them all)

--------------------

Vdex
(me and my brother)

Group Banners (click to show)

+Quote Post

ChicagoBULLS
post Dec 4 2010, 09:10 PM
Post #12

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 71 123

Platinum Team

I would have agreed with what you said, but the exploration is good. It's a 20 day wait instead of 30 days, and it will take a bit of time but if you're so committed, you can get it done within a year.

How on earth is that so difficult? I've been here a little over a year and I have merely 4 Unowns. The prospect of getting a new one every 20 days is a nice change.

--------------------
[align=center]
59-20
The Chicago Bulls will win the Championship. Watch.
#winning, unlike Raven, who fights like a girl.[/align]

Sorry, I might actually be a girl.

-- Raven
+Quote Post

Darth Krytie
post Dec 4 2010, 09:15 PM
Post #13

This one does not have time for your solid waste excretions.
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 22 312

Team Awesomecakes

It took me...four months of trying to get Alphabet soup. And a few half-hearted months after to get the egg dexes (sans N, which I got with the Exploration) on this site. I simply went into the lab during refills, refreshed a few times, then left to click/hatch/etc. Used a few repels when I accidentally refreshed over an egg. Stuff like that. Found a few bred by Professor Cypress by luck.

It can be done. Before I started trying, I only had two hatched Unown from an old ban drop. What's the saying, you can't win if you don't play? You can't get unown if you don't lab stalk at least a little.

Like anything, it takes time and effort. Maybe it takes more time and effort than you want it to, but it doesn't mean the site needs to change.

--------------------

Please use the Help Page and appropriate Help Forum instead of PMing me. Only PM if it's something you need me or an Admin for specifically.
+Quote Post

Jen
post Dec 4 2010, 10:43 PM
Post #14

Pidgey Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 64 269

PIDGEY LOVE

QUOTE(Little Alien Girl @ Dec 4 2010, 07:26 PM) *

I agree with this.

Tyranisaur, why do you think you deserve anything? Do the admins seriously not do enough around the site for you and everyone else? You want MORE? Have you been spoiled that much? Guess what, you're ALWAYS going to want more no matter what all they put in. They gave you an unown exploration and you're already complaining. It's seriously pathetic.

Here is a tip for you: If you want more unowns get in the lab with repels. All you have to do is refresh a bit at spawn times and if you see an egg that looked like it may have been an unown you use the repel. (Tough luck if it was one you already had, you'll have to try again.) Checking your profile right now you currently have 850k, so buy maybe 5 or whatever you would feel necessary. It's just better to actually do something about something you want instead of complaining that it's going to take you 1 year and 3 months. (omg!~) Want a shorter wait time? Take the time to do the effort. dry.gif

This post has been edited by Jen: Dec 4 2010, 10:46 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Tyranisaur
post Dec 5 2010, 04:48 AM
Post #15

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Totally...useless

Okay fine, everyone seems to conform that there is no deserving on this site, but anyway that's fine.

So I'll go with stalking the lab for my few unowns and a shorter time. But you all seem to say that I need to do it just at the spawn times, haven't these been moved around somewhat? So basically I don't know what the spawn times are. Yeah the help page says every 3 min. But yesterday I happened to not see anything new within a longer time.

And yeah it seems I am a bitching greedy bastard, why? Is it because I think you should be able to get unowns easier than the summonable legendaries?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Darth Krytie
post Dec 5 2010, 05:12 AM
Post #16

This one does not have time for your solid waste excretions.
Group Icon

Member No.: 22 312

Team Awesomecakes

I've hatched 82 unown and about 100 of other people's failed summons, so it's close enough for me.

But, I can understand the frustration. It took me eight months on the site before I got one of either on my own (not due to an event).

I'm not thinking you're a greedy bastard or whatever, but when I first was here, I got nothing for a long time. When I increased my time on the site, strategised a bit, stalked the lab/shelter during certain times, really focused on getting stuff, I started...well...getting stuff.

--------------------

Please use the Help Page and appropriate Help Forum instead of PMing me. Only PM if it's something you need me or an Admin for specifically.
+Quote Post

YunikoYokai
post Dec 5 2010, 05:22 AM
Post #17

Cute, Cuddly and filled with Cookies
Group Icon

Member No.: 19 212

My Favourites

But we can get Unowns easier now: Explorations. I've been on this site for well over a year and I only found 1 unown (2 now since I completed the exploration) and that unown only appeared when I was summoning a pokemon and used a repel (had to buy a second for my summon ^.^' ) AND that was after I had been here for over a year. I'm one of these users which is not actively hunting unown, if I get all the Unown, fine, sure, awesome. If not, who cares? I have a lot of other goals on this site (the master achievements bar clicker, VS Seeker ones, filling my Gen 5 dex etc)

Unown is a collectors item in the games, since they are practically useless in battle. Collectors items are meant to take some time getting, with some difficulty. I see no problems in the current system, and even more so since we can just do an exploration, wait 20 days and do it again. And this exploration has no time limit on it either.

This post has been edited by YunikoYokai: Dec 5 2010, 05:25 AM

--------------------

Bug Bonanza (click to show)

Fire Frenzy (click to show)

Other Shinies (click to show)

+Quote Post

Tyranisaur
post Dec 5 2010, 05:28 AM
Post #18

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Totally...useless

I guess I was just a little too frustrated when I started the topic. Talking about it has really helped me reduce the frustration, and see how the system probably isn't as bad anyway.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:45 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.