Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Vegetarianism, Should we eat meat?
Do you eat meat?
Do you eat meat?
Yes [ 75 ]  [76.53%]
Only a little [ 9 ]  [9.18%]
No, but milk and/or eggs are fine [ 12 ]  [12.24%]
No, I eat no animal products at all. [ 2 ]  [2.04%]
Total Votes: 98
Guests cannot vote 

ninjacookie
post May 28 2009, 01:02 PM
Post #1

button smasher
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 25 351

splash attack!

Is it right to eat the meat of other living creatures or is it wrong? And what are your thoughts on these subjects;

Are fish considered meat?

What about plants, don't they live and breath as well?

Is a vegan diet unhealthy or healthier?

What about animals that eat meat in their diets? Like cats dogs and snakes?

Should a persons diet be a personal choice?

Is killing for meat cruel?

What about people with allergies or those who can't afford synthetic meats?

Personally I went vegan for a year when I was 16 and became very ill. Many of friends were trying it and most did fine except for me and one other girl. It got to the point where I couldn't stand and my heart rate was extremely low even though I followed proper nutritional guidelines from many vegan sites. I think it may be my genetics, as all my teeth are very sharp and even my molars are quiet sharp, also I naturally have a lot of muscle even when I don't exercise. I don't eat much meat though as I think over consumption of it is wrong and I am appalled by mass production farming, I usually buy free roam or wild caught meats. I had to stop eating soy last year though as I developed an allergy to it. But almond milk is delicious and doesn't bloat me at all.

However I admire Vegans. If you can stay healthy on a vegan diet then thats great. But I think the vegans who try to force it onto others and down talk you for eating meat are misguided.

--------------------

~om nom nom~

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Cassowary
post May 28 2009, 01:55 PM
Post #2

Skarmory Squadron Supreme
Group Icon

Member No.: 4 264

Skarmory Squadron

Is it right to eat the meat of other living creatures or is it wrong? And what are your thoughts on these subjects;
It's not really a matter of "right" or "wrong." We've evolved as omnivores, so meat is naturally a part of our diets. It's simply a fact of life.

Yes. Meat = animal parts, the fleshy bits (muscle, organs, etc.)

We eat them too. At least, we're supposed to.

It really depends on a person's lifestyle and health.

What of them? They simply can't survive on an all-vegetable diet, that's just plain cruel. They should get to eat what they need to eat.

Yes. Doesn't mean I won't laugh about their personal choices though.

Killing in itself, no. It's more a matter of how the animal is raised and the manner of its death. It should be raised in a decent environment and killed with the minimum of stress and pain.

With allergies to meat? Avoid it. Can't afford synth meat? Don't eat it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Chemical Hound
post May 28 2009, 01:58 PM
Post #3

The multi-personalitied Smeargle ----- (Black Gyarados)
Group Icon

Member No.: 14 479

Platinum party

Hell yeah

--------------------
The Stuff That Don't Fit (click to show)

+Quote Post

Kai Reddtail
post May 28 2009, 02:49 PM
Post #4

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 8 999

My Top Six

Okay, I'm going to say right now that this is just my opinion. I'm not going to try and shove my ideals down your throat so long as you avoid doing the same to me. I've been a vegetarian for eight years, I've seen where some of these conversations go, and I'm not even really sure if I should be posting here because I usually end up pissed off with these threads. XD

Just had to make sure that little disclaimer was there, but I thought I'd give my input.

Is it right to eat the meat of other living creatures or is it wrong?

I believe it's wrong. We can survive and live a healthy life without killing other creatures, so I think we should.

Forgive me, but I'm very tired of people who say "Vegetarians can still eat fish." Of course it's meat. There are two main kingdoms in this world: plant and animal. Fish are in the animal group.

What does everyone think it is, swimming broccoli?

Plants have no consciousness, they do not feel pain. Also, we can't live without eating plants, you can live without eating meat.

Vegan? Well, I'm still undecided on that. Still doing my research.

Vegetarian? I would say it may be slightly healthier or just as healthy. I think since vegetarians have to pay more attention to their diets we may be healthier just for the fact that we usually have to think more about what we eat.

This is the kind of food they need to be healthy. There isn't really any other viable alternative. So that's what they should eat.

Well, I believe it is. And what I mean by that is, I'm not going to force you to adopt my ethics and morals and I expect the same. But I do believe people shouldn't eat meat.

Yes, especially with our current slaughter practices.

You don't need to eat synthetic meats as a vegetarian. If you eat right, you can get everything you need without synthetics.

If you really cannot live a healthy life without meat, then don't. If humans couldn't live a healthy life without eating meat, I wouldn't be a vegetarian. But the fact that we can live healthy without it makes it unnecessary for other animals to die.

That's what I think. Don't kill me.

This post has been edited by Kai Reddtail: May 28 2009, 03:01 PM

--------------------
Click! (click to show)
W00t! (click to show)

Please help Zoe reach level 100. She was named in memory of my wonderful canine family member that passed away on September 26th.

+Quote Post

King Calamity
post May 28 2009, 03:44 PM
Post #5

Philosopher
Group Icon

Member No.: 15 187

Wonders of Existence

its perfectly natural to eat meat
we were just lucky when the design for humans was made to be omnivors but all animals have certain designs in their teeth according to what theyre suppose to eat. carnivors all have sharp teeth so that they can tear meat to swallow it, herbivors all have flat teeth so that they can grind up plants, and omnivors have both flat and sharp teeth in order to eat both. we were made to eat meat and vegetables so why not?

and of course fish is meat. i dont know where that whole idea came from but whoever said it first is in some kind of denial ive never seen before

This post has been edited by The Enigmatic Trainer: May 28 2009, 03:49 PM

--------------------

Previous Names:
The Enigmatic Trainer
SilverTheIronKnight

EGGS (click to show)

CREDITS (click to show)
+Quote Post

Ruusu
post May 28 2009, 04:02 PM
Post #6

Sensei of The Ninja Army.
Group Icon

Member No.: 22 192

NINJA ARMY OF DOOM!

I have nothing against vegetarians, it's their own choice. People can do whatever they want with their lives, if it just makes them happy, that's what I think.

However I don't really support vegetarianism. In this century it's just impossible, that the whole humanrace starts to eat only food, which doesn't contain meat or isn't animal's production. That's because we would need more land to grow our food, and only that measure would overmatch the land is even exist currently. The dearth on the Earth would grow even more.

This post has been edited by Ruusu: May 28 2009, 04:03 PM

--------------------

The Ninja Army... ...join us or get ninja'd.
I claim (click to show)
+Quote Post

Eric Smith
post May 28 2009, 05:40 PM
Post #7

<3's Musharna and Munna
Group Icon

Member No.: 12 937

Active Squad

I do not believe it is wrong to kill for food. So there for it is not wrong to eat meat. (in my opinion)
Killing for sport is another story.

Muscle is meat so yes.

Plants don't have muscle/move around.

It can be both. But you need the cholesterol. People with higher cholesterol live longer.

For food. It's not wrong.

Absolutely. No one can tell someone else what to eat. Even the government.

No. Everything has to eat sometime.

Two words. That sucks. I feel sorry for anyone with allergies.
But they can eat what ever they want.

--------------------

You know you wanna poke it...

Credit Spoiler (click to show)
+Quote Post

Cassowary
post May 28 2009, 07:52 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Skarmory Squadron

People with higher cholesterol live longer.
Lolwut?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Eric Smith
post May 28 2009, 07:56 PM
Post #9

<3's Musharna and Munna
Group Icon

Active Squad

Cholesterol is a necessary substance in your body and a % of it is made in your liver.
Both types are in fact healthy. The government just hates to admit it was wrong.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Pumpkin King
post May 28 2009, 08:03 PM
Post #10

Nevermore!
Group Icon

Member No.: 807

BLARG

I would like to become a vegetarian, but I'm unhealthy as it is. I think restricting my diet would expose even more of my skeletal system. I just try not to think about where my food came from. I may become a vegetarian when I'm older when I'm not surrounded by a meat-loving family. I would never go vegan, however. That's just insanity.

--------------------

Think I'm cool? Follow me on tumblr.
Banner by Liquefy
+Quote Post

Cassowary
post May 28 2009, 08:05 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Skarmory Squadron

Yes it's necessary but it's kinda, well, wrong to say that those with higher chol. live longer.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Thaliel
post May 28 2009, 08:06 PM
Post #12

Spots on!
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 5 588

Posers

I just like meat. I cannot bring myelf to not eating it anymore

--------------------
<-Plz click
+Quote Post

Eric Smith
post May 28 2009, 08:06 PM
Post #13

<3's Musharna and Munna
Group Icon

Active Squad

Higher than the governments normal.
But extremely high levels do cause heart problems. You can only have so much in your veins...

--------------------

+Quote Post

Cassowary
post May 28 2009, 08:10 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

Skarmory Squadron

Um, what do you mean by "higher than the governments?" Does the government have a level of cholesterol?

Yeah, I know. I was pointing out that what you said ignored the fact that after a certain point the level of cholesterol is no longer healthy.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Eric Smith
post May 28 2009, 08:19 PM
Post #15

<3's Musharna and Munna
Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Grovyle @ May 28 2009, 08:06 PM) *
Higher than the governments normal.
But extremely high levels do cause heart problems. You can only have so much in your veins...

I meant what the government says is normal...

--------------------

+Quote Post

Cassowary
post May 28 2009, 08:44 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

Skarmory Squadron

Right then.

I personally feel that its a little odd to not eat meat. Sure, you may not like the taste or can't eat it without lots of bathroom fun, that's fine if you don't eat it then. But not eating meat because of the warm fuzzy feeling you get because you aren't "contributing" to the killing of animals? Uh huh. What about leather? Eggs and milk? Is it just the act of killing itself, or the animal's misery?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Tiamat
post May 29 2009, 07:01 AM
Post #17

everything is happening so much
Group Icon

Member No.: 70

Active Squad

Pssst, Grovyle: You're missing an apostrophe.

Of course it's right. You don't see other meat-eaters (can't say carnivores because we aren't) worrying about it; the main problem is how the animals are treated.

...Of course it is. DUH. Where did this come from? :/

They too are delicious and therefore noms.

Unhealthy~ grin.gif Without dietary supplements, you would start suffering from B vitamin deficincy, as many are only found in delicious animals, and hey: We're omnivores. We're made for this stuff.

...They're carnivores. They have to. Feeding a cat a vegan diet is giving it a death sentence.

Once again: DUUUUUUH.

No. Treating our future noms like crap is cruel.

Clarify. When I hear synthetic meat I think petri-dish steak. And those with alleregies should just avoid the noms they're allegic too. Again, DUH.

This post has been edited by Tiamat: May 29 2009, 07:02 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Tess Faulkner
post May 29 2009, 11:25 AM
Post #18

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 11 583

RP Pokemon

Is it right to eat the meat of other living creatures or is it wrong?

I personally agree with RheaDark's first post on the matter; there's no right or wrong about it, it just is. That's how the animal kingdom works, and we're part of it, like it or not.

I can see why some people might not consider them in the same class as say, beef. I mean, a cow has a personality; raise a calf from a baby, it will come when you ring the dinner bell, maybe answer to it's name, I dunno (I never spent that much time around farm animals). Fish, on the other hand? You can't teach them tricks, you can't train them to come when you call them- really, when you have fish, they're more like furniture than pets. I know that there's some guy out there who's trained some of his goldfish to do some pretty cool tricks, but generally speaking, for the vast majority of people, it ain't gonna happen. Despite all that, though, fish are indeed animals, and should be considered meat- so if someone's gonna scratch meat off their menu, fish goes out, too.

They're living creatures, yes, but they have no brains, no conscious ability to recognize pain or anything. Also, you don't necessarily need to kill a plant to get the edible bits. Some plants, yes, but things like fruit trees, berry bushes, corn and squash and beans?

That's a toughie- really, it is possible to get all the nutrition you need without actually eating meat, but I'm given to understand it's a lot more difficult. Protein, for instance- we need it, and the best source around for it is meat. I'm not going to say there doesn't exist a plant that can provide it, I'm sure there does, I just don't know any.

Is it really fair to judge a creature that isn't really, ah... sentient? I mean, can a cat, a dog, or a snake weigh it's actions and decide for itself whether an act is good or bad or evil or what have ya? Carnivores need meat to survive. That's just how they are.

Definitely. Within reasonable limits, there is no reason why anyone else should tell you what to eat or what not to eat. Unless, you know, it's your doctor or something.

..and cannibalism is probably not a good personal choice, either.

Depends on the method, doesn't it? I mean, you hear about those farms where they'd drag the sick cows to the slaughter houses and all- that's pretty cool. But done humanely, quickly, with as little pain as possible- there's no reason why it should be called cruel.

If your allergic to something, you shouldn't eat it. No matter what some fanatic might tell you about how your alternative diet it wrong, it's your life, you don't have to risk it to satisfy some nutcase. Same thing, or something similar, goes if you can't afford something.

--------------------

~Psychosis L. Neurotica
+Quote Post

Sarge
post May 30 2009, 06:17 AM
Post #19

is one hoopy frood
Group Icon

Member No.: 11 406

Some of my Faves

Are fish considered meat? Of course! All animals are made of meat. Just because you're ugly and swim in the sea doesn't mean you're not made out of meat.

What about plants, don't they live and breath as well? Yes, but like fish, they probably don't have much of an intellectual or spiritual life, so I doubt anybody loses sleep over some piece of cabbage.

Is a vegan diet unhealthy or healthier? Unhealthy for our species.

What about animals that eat meat in their diets? Like cats dogs and snakes? Obviously, they should keep eating meat.

Should a persons diet be a personal choice? Absoultely. I would only step in if a person was obviously damaging their body because of their diet.

Is killing for meat cruel? Oh yes, but some methods are less cruel than others. Hint: don't eat veal and don't buy Popeye's chicken. I would never say that killing another being is not cruel - no matter how unintellent they may be, so long as they can feel pain or fear it is cruel; but death is a neccessary part of nature. Unless you'd like to join a very strict monestary, give up all your material possessions, and move into to a temple somewhere, you haven't got a chance in hell of avoiding it. May as well just live with it, that's what I say.

What about people with allergies or those who can't afford synthetic meats? I'm not sure what this question is asking. Obviously you should NEVER put something in your mouth if you're allergic to it. You probably shouldn't even come into close contact with it. Just do whatever is most healthy for your body.

The best way to get over killing stupid defenseless cows for our burgers is to watch a little Discovery Channel. It certainly doesn't seem so cruel when you're watching a pride of six lions rake their claws into an adult buffalo while dragging it down in the mud, suffocating it and disembowling it while its guts are still warm and there may yet be a flicker of life left in its unblinking eyes. Dinner time!

--------------------
.:: You click; I click. ::.

I'm a college student. Be patient!
==| Sarge uses your Poke'mon's favorite berry |==

yay quizzes (click to show)

+Quote Post

Eric Smith
post May 30 2009, 10:05 AM
Post #20

<3's Musharna and Munna
Group Icon

Active Squad

I want to reiterate on the vegan unhealthy part.
Almost all of the vitamins and minerals can be found in plants.
You just need to travel around the world.
Oh, and protein in some legumes (like beans).

Only be vegetarian if you are not lazy about hunting your plants.

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:40 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.