Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Read before you post!

Please make sure to check the GPX+ Help Page before posting!

The GPX+ Help Page has a wealth of information. Please help prevent clutter in this forum by first checking the Help Page before you post a thread.

33 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Eggs taking forever to hatch?, Adblocking but not really?
Eggs taking forever to hatch?
Should ad-blockers be penalized?
Yes [ 132 ]  [32.43%]
No [ 275 ]  [67.57%]
Total Votes: 407
Guests cannot vote 

Big Bidoof
post Jun 25 2010, 08:19 PM
Post #121

Watching YOU
Group Icon

Group: Root Administrators
Member No.: 1

Active Squad

QUOTE(somnomania @ Jun 25 2010, 09:08 PM) *
QUOTE(Big Bidoof @ Jun 25 2010, 08:56 PM) *
Not like it should matter - people shouldn't even be blocking ads in the first place. They were given fair warning that restrictions would be in place for doing so, so regardless of knowing the full extent of them, they still bring it upon themselves.

Excuse me? What we think doesn't matter? More points to you, sir. Maybe you missed my earlier comment about only blocking ads because of the headache-inducing bandwidth hog Flash ads?

Probably, I just skimmed over the last few pages.

Either way, if you don't like Flash, why do you have it installed in the first place? Don't like Flash -> disable Flash seems to make more sense than don't like Flash -> remove important ad revenue from a website you actively enjoy that is the only reason it is possible for it to exist in the first place.
QUOTE(Big Bidoof)
Um, what? That has nothing to do with anything I said. dry.gif

JavaScript execution has nothing to do with server load, it's entirely based on your own computer. Not entirely sure what you're getting at...?

Moreover, I THINK YOU'RE DEAF. I'm saying it's NOT based on my computer, because my computer does everything else fine while GPX is timing out left and right. I can have three memory-heavy applications open, and everything will be running smoothly, but woe betide me if I open GPX these days. Hard to get any clicking done, y'know?

And stop redirecting us to crap you've already said.

No, I'm not deaf at all, you're just completely missing the point.

Someone implied that they were improperly flagged as an ad blocker because there's more load on the server. That's completely impossible though, because the checks are done in JavaScript whose execution is entirely dependent on your computer and nothing else.

I realise there have been a few timeouts today, but that's only because there are a few configuration kinks to work out, and nothing more. Both servers are otherwise handling the load extremely well... which is exactly why I linked you to that post, since you give the impression of having not read that at all.

And on a side note, most of the activity records before this past week have been broken multiple times over the past 7 days, so regardless of what you may be experiencing, people seem to be doing just fine.

--------------------
"Java is to JavaScript as ham is to hamster."

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

DigitalEon
post Jun 25 2010, 08:25 PM
Post #122

Pokemon Collector
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 37 387

Pokemans

QUOTE(Big Bidoof @ Jun 25 2010, 09:19 PM) *
And on a side note, most of the activity records before this past week have been broken multiple times over the past 7 days, so regardless of what you may be experiencing, people seem to be doing just fine.

Or, like me, people are forcing themselves through the many, MANY errors and slowness to win the shiny race.

No, people are not doing just fine. They're just gritting their teeth this time for the sake of a competition.
+Quote Post

somnomania
post Jun 25 2010, 08:25 PM
Post #123

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 11 187

Favorites

QUOTE(somnomania @ Jun 25 2010, 09:08 PM) *
QUOTE(Big Bidoof @ Jun 25 2010, 08:56 PM) *
Not like it should matter - people shouldn't even be blocking ads in the first place. They were given fair warning that restrictions would be in place for doing so, so regardless of knowing the full extent of them, they still bring it upon themselves.

Excuse me? What we think doesn't matter? More points to you, sir. Maybe you missed my earlier comment about only blocking ads because of the headache-inducing bandwidth hog Flash ads?

Either way, if you don't like Flash, why do you have it installed in the first place? Don't like Flash -> disable Flash seems to make more sense than don't like Flash -> remove important ad revenue from a website you actively enjoy that is the only reason it is possible for it to exist in the first place.
QUOTE(Big Bidoof)
Um, what? That has nothing to do with anything I said. dry.gif

JavaScript execution has nothing to do with server load, it's entirely based on your own computer. Not entirely sure what you're getting at...?

Moreover, I THINK YOU'RE DEAF. I'm saying it's NOT based on my computer, because my computer does everything else fine while GPX is timing out left and right. I can have three memory-heavy applications open, and everything will be running smoothly, but woe betide me if I open GPX these days. Hard to get any clicking done, y'know?

And stop redirecting us to crap you've already said.

No, I'm not deaf at all, you're just completely missing the point.

Someone implied that they were improperly flagged as an ad blocker because there's more load on the server. That's completely impossible though, because the checks are done in JavaScript whose execution is entirely dependent on your computer and nothing else.

I realise there have been a few timeouts today, but that's only because there are a few configuration kinks to work out, and nothing more. Both servers are otherwise handling the load extremely well... which is exactly why I linked you to that post, since you give the impression of having not read that at all.

...are you kidding me with this? I've been timing out more often than not, several other people I know have been timing out more often than not, and the site has been almost unusable the last few days, even in the wee hours when I usually do my clicking because there are fewer people on. I keep timing out on refreshing this thread, in fact.

Wouldn't disabling Flash still be blocking your precious ads?

"people seem to be doing just fine". That must be why this thread is here, and some of the others about issues with the site lately. Or maybe you didn't read those either, and just commented with a link to something vague you've already said.

So basically, I'd like it if you'd go fuck yourself. Where are Wymsy and Zerxer, I want the REAL mods back, who actually listen to us.

--------------------

First Gen Guardians badges (click to show)

My favorites! (click to show)
+Quote Post

Darth Krytie
post Jun 25 2010, 08:31 PM
Post #124

This one does not have time for your solid waste excretions.
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 22 312

Team Awesomecakes

QUOTE(somnomania @ Jun 25 2010, 09:25 PM) *
...are you kidding me with this? I've been timing out more often than not, several other people I know have been timing out more often than not, and the site has been almost unusable the last few days, even in the wee hours when I usually do my clicking because there are fewer people on. I keep timing out on refreshing this thread, in fact.

"people seem to be doing just fine". That must be why this thread is here, and some of the others about issues with the site lately. Or maybe you didn't read those either, and just commented with a link to something vague you've already said.

So basically, I'd like it if you'd go fuck yourself. Where are Wymsy and Zerxer, I want the REAL mods back, who actually listen to us.

Telling the guy who actually has the ability to fix these problems to fuck off isn't exactly the best idea, hmm? It's going to take time to fix. Swearing at the ADMIN who actually pays OUT OF POCKET for this site doesn't need your rude behaviour.

Yeah, it would have been nice if they were specific in their warnings, but they weren't. Too bad. They gave notice, vague as it was, and there you have it.

--------------------

Please use the Help Page and appropriate Help Forum instead of PMing me. Only PM if it's something you need me or an Admin for specifically.
+Quote Post

Kazz
post Jun 25 2010, 08:36 PM
Post #125

Elite Four
Group Icon

Member No.: 32 330

Active Squad

@ somnomania

Flash blocker =/= ad block

I myself used a flash blocker before being able to donate. While some may have "legitimate" reasons for blocking, the site does have to make money in order to continue running.

I also find it pretty hilarious you guys are telling BB he's being an ass yet many of you are cursing at him and what not. *shrugs*

This post has been edited by The Yatagarasu: Jun 25 2010, 08:37 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

somnomania
post Jun 25 2010, 08:36 PM
Post #126

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Favorites

QUOTE(Mommy Dearest @ Jun 25 2010, 09:31 PM) *
Telling the guy who actually has the ability to fix these problems to fuck off isn't exactly the best idea, hmm? It's going to take time to fix. Swearing at the ADMIN who actually pays OUT OF POCKET for this site doesn't need your rude behaviour.

Yeah, it would have been nice if they were specific in their warnings, but they weren't. Too bad. They gave notice, vague as it was, and there you have it.

And it would have been nice if BB actually read anything we were saying, but he hasn't. Too bad. I think I'm entitled to be a little rude. This entire thing is ridiculous and shouldn't be happening at all.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Icicle
post Jun 25 2010, 08:41 PM
Post #127

Group Icon

Member No.: 18 407

Active Squad

QUOTE(somnomania @ Jun 25 2010, 09:36 PM) *

And it would have been nice if BB actually read anything we were saying, but he hasn't. Too bad. I think I'm entitled to be a little rude. This entire thing is ridiculous and shouldn't be happening at all.

Rudeness never gets you anywhere, just saying. So I'd suggest you calm down before you get into trouble.

That goes for the rest of you in this thread. I understand it sucks that if you aren't actually blocking and are getting penalized for it, but as pointed up there. Rudeness isn't gonna help you. Just gonna make the person that can help you more pissed off and unwilling to help.

--------------------

flight rising: IcicleKurai | Twitch: icicledust
twitter: icicledust_ | instagram: incendiary.wit
+Quote Post

Darth Krytie
Post #128

Group Icon

Team Awesomecakes

He has read what you are saying. He just doesn't agree. There's a difference.

--------------------

Please use the Help Page and appropriate Help Forum instead of PMing me. Only PM if it's something you need me or an Admin for specifically.
+Quote Post

DigitalEon
Post #129

Pokemon Collector
Group Icon

Pokemans

They gave notice and then completely failed to make it clear what what was going to happen. I'm currently going through all forty-one pages of that thread right now - the overwhelming majority of posts supporting the measures (and even those that don't) indicate the belief that it would be bonuses given to those who support the site - NOT punishments for those who don't. No, the admins didn't explicitly say that was the case. However, refusing to correct such misconceptions, widespread as they were, definitely counts as deception and dishonestly.

QUOTE(pyroXchocobo @ May 5 2010, 05:09 AM) *
Oh sure, it may seem "fair" to you but where do they draw the line?
There may also be other limitations imposed on restricted accounts, which are not yet decided.

First it's slower growth rates, reduced chances of legendaries...
Then what? Not eligible for "random" contests?
Not eligible for Mystery Counter bonuses?
Reduced breeding rates?
Less Pokemon appear in Shelter Saffari zone?
No changing site themes?
Certain items never stock in shop or backroom?
No backroom access?

I find this post from that thread to be amusing, because one of those things is EXACTLY what happened.

QUOTE(reddwarfer @ May 5 2010, 05:58 AM) *
And that list? Is just bullshit made up in your mind. Honestly, how have the Admin of this site ever given the impression they want things grossly unfair?

My impression of Jeff and Nick are that they want everyone to have a fair chance of everything given on the site. No one gets a huge leg up in this game. So, the restrictions will be negligible, if any.

What's changed since then to make such a restriction go from "unfair" to... well, we got fair warning, we should put up with it?

And this is just for those of us who DID choose to block ads. The people who are getting restricted unfairly... that's another thing entirely, and Zerxer did post about it earlier!
+Quote Post

Handmaid
post Jun 25 2010, 08:43 PM
Post #130

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 29 699

Active Squad

QUOTE(somnomania @ Jun 26 2010, 02:25 AM) *

you are aware that a second server was just put in place and is essentially still in its testing stages? if you expected the server to be installed and everything to immediately become smooth and lag free then you have even less of an understanding of how these things work than i do, which is impressive. yeah, the site has been timing out, but at least something is being done about it. just be patient, for crying out loud.

and lmao, you want the "real mods" back? you're aware that BB is currently the most active of the admins and of late has done the most work on the site? it's somewhat unreasonable to expect someone to read EVERY reply of EVERY thread that's ever been posted, and he has actually given a number of replies. there's no point in throwing a fucking hissy fit just because something isn't going your way. i'm sorry but i find it completely offensive that you're actually personally insulting someone because they disagree with you

This post has been edited by Bad Apple: Jun 25 2010, 08:44 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

The Sorrow
Post #131

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 11 177

Active Squad

Rudeness doesn't get anywhere, true enough.

But considering it's been almost two weeks since this topic was first posted and it's just recently being addressed is a tad rude in itself.
+Quote Post

Shroomich
Post #132

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 65 199

Active Squad

QUOTE(DigitalEon @ Jun 25 2010, 09:25 PM) *
No, people are not doing just fine. They're just gritting their teeth this time for the sake of a competition.

Well, what's say we continue to grit our teeth? It's not like these errors will last forever, anyways. I don't really think whining about it (and I am not referring to you or anyone in particular) will move it along quicker.

--------------------
+Quote Post

DigitalEon
post Jun 25 2010, 08:47 PM
Post #133

Pokemon Collector
Group Icon

Pokemans

QUOTE(Mommy Dearest @ Jun 25 2010, 09:41 PM) *

He has read what you are saying. He just doesn't agree. There's a difference.

Er.

Saying he hasn't read anything we've been saying is an exaggeration, but that line can't have helped.

QUOTE(Kumajirou @ Jun 25 2010, 09:43 PM) *
QUOTE(DigitalEon @ Jun 25 2010, 09:25 PM) *

Well, what's say we continue to grit our teeth? It's not like these errors will last forever, anyways. I don't really think whining about it (and I am not referring to you or anyone in particular) will move it along quicker.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. I'm fine with it - it's just wrong to say that everyone is doing just fine in that regard.
+Quote Post

Darth Krytie
post Jun 25 2010, 08:48 PM
Post #134

Group Icon

Team Awesomecakes

Truth is, too many people block ads and revenue has to come from somewhere. Therefore, they make unblocking ads as nice as possible. Yeah, it sucks to be you, but it sucks to be an admin who has to deal with all the background shit of this site, fix things to an overburdened server, dealing with bitching about every single fucking thing that ever goes on in this site, and deal with whiny people who want to have it all and have it for free and let other people pay for the site costs.

So, yeah, he didn't answer right away. There was a bunch of other things that required his attention. Plus, he has an actual job and it is not running this site.

--------------------

+Quote Post

somnomania
post Jun 25 2010, 08:51 PM
Post #135

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Favorites

Fine, I was out of line and blew up. The fact that the banhammer hasn't come down, and I don't even have a warning or anything, says that BB doesn't care anyway. I'm starting to think he's just an insensitive bot. I'm not raging at him because he has a different opinion, I'm raging because we weren't told some specific things, and it's STILL not being explained clearly. As a donor, the ad stuff doesn't effect me, but it does effect several of my friends, which is why I'm upset about it. And my main issue with the site lag is that it was implied in the post about the new server that there would be periodic times when the site was down while things were tweaked, not overall suckage for several days. Or maybe "intermittent outages" means something else, idk.

Also: "Probably, I just skimmed over the last few pages." I don't care if it's true, don't TELL US, jeez. It just looks bad and irresponsible.

--------------------

+Quote Post

DigitalEon
post Jun 25 2010, 08:53 PM
Post #136

Pokemon Collector
Group Icon

Pokemans

QUOTE(Mommy Dearest @ Jun 25 2010, 09:48 PM) *
Truth is, too many people block ads and revenue has to come from somewhere. Therefore, they make unblocking ads as nice as possible. Yeah, it sucks to be you, but it sucks to be an admin who has to deal with all the background shit of this site, fix things to an overburdened server, dealing with bitching about every single fucking thing that ever goes on in this site, and deal with whiny people who want to have it all and have it for free and let other people pay for the site costs.

Which is not most of the people who were having this problem in the first place.

Yeah, it's kind of me. I was panicking like an idiot over the thought of getting a virus, bothered at how slow my computer already was, and thought I knew what the consequences were and could deal with them. I think they're unfair, but my main complaint is the dishonesty surrounding them. Personally, I wouldn't have blocked ads if I'd known, and I don't see why there was such secrecy in the first place - wouldn't people be less likely to block ads knowing the consequence were this severe?

I can see why, though, if they're causing this kind of...

So, yeah, he didn't answer right away. There was a bunch of other things that required his attention. Plus, he has an actual job and it is not running this site.

If he doesn't have the time to deal with a major issue like this over the months (yes, months, people have been having adblock problems since the measures were first instituted, and there have been complaints about reduced maturity surprises since May)... yet we had a contest...

Actually dealing with the issue? Yes, I understand that might take a lot of time. Coming into the thread, reading what was originally maybe four pages, and posting a quick reply about looking into it or it's not a mistake or even his post on Javascript... that doesn't take a lot of time, and that's what a lot of people were looking for originally.
+Quote Post

The Sorrow
post Jun 25 2010, 08:56 PM
Post #137

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 11 177

Active Squad

QUOTE(Mommy Dearest @ Jun 25 2010, 06:48 PM) *

I never said he wasn't busy. I realize there's a ton of stuff that comes with being a mod/admin/running a site/whatever. And I do realize he works and that this gets no pay to him. That he's putting money into the site.

But as I said, this post has been up for almost two weeks. A simple "hold on, doing important things, lemme get back to you" or one of the other mods/admins simply saying he's been busy getting things set up and/or settled and/or other things and it'll be talked about eventually would have been nice. Just saying.

Personally, if I had a job, I'd be donating at least a few dollars monthly, regardless of my opinions on updates. I know the site isn't free to run, and so do a lot of other people.

A lot of this could have been very easily solved with an update a sentence long. "Ad-blockers no longer get CM bonuses."

Wouldn't even have had to leave it open for people to whine on or anything either.

Edit: Kinda ninja'd.

This post has been edited by Arthas: Jun 25 2010, 08:58 PM
+Quote Post

Shroomich
post Jun 25 2010, 08:57 PM
Post #138

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 65 199

Active Squad

QUOTE(somnomania @ Jun 25 2010, 09:51 PM) *
Fine, I was out of line and blew up. The fact that the banhammer hasn't come down, and I don't even have a warning or anything, says that BB doesn't care anyway. I'm starting to think he's just an insensitive bot.

lolwut
And my main issue with the site lag is that it was implied in the post about the new server that there would be periodic times when the site was down while things were tweaked, not overall suckage for several days. Or maybe "intermittent outages" means something else, idk.

Maybe it's just me, but implied warning sort of tells me "shit is coming our way". Knowing the threat is there is enough for me, and the amount is sort of irrelevant afterward.
That is just me, though.
Also: "Probably, I just skimmed over the last few pages." I don't care if it's true, don't TELL US, jeez. It just looks bad and irresponsible.

But being honest is a good thing!
/shot

Sure, it looks irresponsible. But I will say, as others have, that he's probably busy.

This post has been edited by Kumajirou: Jun 25 2010, 08:58 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Annakyoyama358
post Jun 25 2010, 09:00 PM
Post #139

Captain of the KaiRei Ship
Group Icon

Member No.: 9 269

My top 6 Most wanted

Not to mention he insists on treating EVERYONE on here like a blocker, and not showing any sympathy to those with computer issues.

--------------------

Feel free to PM me if you'd like me to gift you any Level 1-8 trinket happy.gif

If you have these trinkets, please let me know what you'd like to trade!
- Zombified "B" Slab - Wymsified "W" Slab - Froakie Plushie - Dreamball Walker - Withered Gracidia Flower - Poochyena Chew

Ultimate Goal:
Complete the eevee.gif Eevee eevee.gif Evolutions.... AS SHINIES
jolteon.gif flareon.gif
Obtained:
vaporeon.gif umbreon.gif espeon.gif leafeon.gif glaceon.gif :sylveon:
+Quote Post

DigitalEon
post Jun 25 2010, 09:01 PM
Post #140

Pokemon Collector
Group Icon

Pokemans

Totally agree with Arthas's post.

QUOTE(Kumajirou @ Jun 25 2010, 09:57 PM) *
Sure, it looks irresponsible, but I will say, as others have, that he's probably busy.

Maybe if this was a glitch (and in a way, it was, with the people who aren't blocking ads but don't have them load), but "busy" isn't really an appropriate excuse when we're talking about posting one or two posts just clearing things up. Which he's done now, at any rate. There's been time for that.

There's also been a distinct lack of answers surrounding the blocking penalties (not bonuses, huh?) that's been going on for months, so my guess is this is intentional. I'm not going to guess why, I don't want to make this sound like some shocking conspiracy, but that wasn't about time.
+Quote Post

33 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 02:09 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.