Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Polls: Stop it, Do they work? Are they represenative? Do you really read this?
AnnieRC
post Apr 19 2010, 01:14 AM
Post #1

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 93 202

Active Squad

Really, polls aren't representative.
Do you like dogs?
-->Yes
-->No
-->PIE!

Well, I like MY dogs... yours are a little strange, though. walloftext.gif

And, really, if there's a poll, who's going to stick around to actually post anything unless they have a very strong opinion on it? You can have 300 clicks and not a single response. Darn! Sure, it's easier to get a round number and percentage when you have it all summed up for you and you don't have to go through each post to find someone's answer, but if all you want is a number, I'm sure someone else has done a poll about it already.

So, polls:
useful or not?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

grandlore
post Apr 19 2010, 12:33 PM
Post #2

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 58 616

HG Team

Depending on the subject and what sort of information you're are trying to gain, I think they can be helpful. Take this site for example. Rather than having everyone type out their response and the mods having to tally them, it's easier to have a poll. So for a short answer, polls are great. For a longer one that has a variety of responses, comments may be the better option.

And polls are more used to get a 'general' idea for what people think, IMO. And many people here will start a new poll because they didn't look around in the first place to see if anyone already created one I suppose.

Just to add something, I'm thinking about polls in general and from what I've seen on other sites. I'm not on the forums so much, so I really haven't seen much of the polls.

This post has been edited by akatsukuyomi: Apr 19 2010, 01:25 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

ShrapnelStars
post Apr 19 2010, 12:56 PM
Post #3

Well, I wish I'd wished you well
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 4 143

Let Us In

Polls can get annoying and are actually rather useless when it consists of something like:
  • "Who's the best Pokemon...out of my three favorites!" (also, what are the criteria for "best" in this case?)
  • "Who's the best starter?" (this has been posted a million times, and only one of them was actually worth it.)
  • "Cake or waffles?" (again, it's been posted thousands of times. It only cute once.)
  • Those polls when the answers are all the same,
  • or force you into a decision that is not characteristic of you, such as "What your favorite color?": "Black, cuz' I'm a st00pid Goffz Emo kid", "Blue", "Pink, because I'm an idiot barbie doll", etc.
    What if I genuinely like a certain color for a different reason other that what you've stated? My only choice, then, is to pick the answer that doesn't make me look like a complete jackass.

I don't mind when the comments are left open. Sometimes it's interesting to see why a person made the choice they made.

I agree with you, though, AnnieRC. Most of them pretty much end up being spam.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 07:09 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.