Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
Dimensions talk., do we see in 2D?
Eldavey
post Aug 15 2012, 06:04 PM
Post #1

Super Special
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 49 980

dreamteam

In how many dimensions do we see the world we live in?

Not long ago I thought we saw our world in 3 dimensions being: length, width and depth. But now I've come to think we live in 3D but see in 2D.

Everything I see around me looks like it has the three dimensions I mentioned above. Even when I close one eye I still "know" everything has depth, I just lost some clarity. My book has depth, my bed has depth, but how do I know it has depth? Can't it be that I just see a 2-dimensional plane with different shades and hues and little details so my brain just tells me it has depth?

Now you might not be convinced but let's apply this theory to an other dimension. Imagine a world in the second dimension: Flatland. In this world there are living organisms formed as squares. Now if one square looks at an other square what does he see? He sees a straight line or one side of the square. The only way he'd be able to tell it's a square is because of the different shades on that line.

Now a line is one dimension. so a two-dimensional organism sees his world in 1 dimension. But we, being three dimensional organisms are able to see Flatland from above. We can see flatland with one glance, we are able to see within the squares's bodies.

This makes me think that if we were to see in three dimensions we ought to be able to see everything with one glance too, inside and outside. But as you might've noticed, we don't, only a four-dimensional organism would be able to do so.

I didn't come up with this myself, this is my own interpretation of multiple youtube videos and people's opinions.
Feel free to post your opinion.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:04 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.