Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
December Events
Zerxer
post Dec 11 2017, 10:53 PM
Post #1

Zerkadelic
Group Icon

Group: Root Administrators
Member No.: 2

My Favorites

It's December! This post is pretty much the same as 2016's "December Events" thread, just without the nostalgia hook.

The Hanukkah event
  • Begins: Tonight, December 11th at 11:55pm EST (site reset), which is one night before Hanukkah begins.
  • Ends: Saturday, December 23rd at 11:55pm EST (site reset), which is three nights after Hanukkah ends.
We're again bringing back our Hanukkah event. In the past we've given 1 Coin for every Fire-type you hatched, and last year we gave 1 Coin for every Generation 1 Pokémon you hatched (oh that nostalgia theme), but this year we're excited because Pokémon GO has continued growing and recently released Generation 3 Pokémon!

So this year, you'll receive 1 coin for every Generation 3 Pokémon egg you hatch. You'll also earn 20 coins for completing a daily Scavenger Hunt task. These coins are completely separate from all other currencies on the site and are used to determine the prizes you win in the end (as well as for Spinning the Dreidel).

Additional information on the Hanukkah event (click to show)

Scavenger Hunt
This month's Scavenger Hunt will start tonight, running through the rest of the month, but you'll only earn 20 coins for completing a task until the Hanukkah event ends (so tonight to the 23rd).

Explorations
The two Christmas explorations, "The Twelve Days of Christmas" and "Secret of Christmas", have been activated and will run through the end of the month.

Secret Santa Exchange
Yes, this is happening again! Deposits will be open sometime on Saturday the 23rd and will last thru Monday the 25th, with the exchange itself happening after reset. I will post additional information around that time, but it'll work about the same as last year's.

New Year's Raffle
This will work the same as it did last year: you'll have a day to be as active as possible, and for every 2018 points of Activity Score earned, you'll get one entry. We'll then distribute a certain number of vouchers for a new Pokémon, and you'll have a chance to get one based on the number of entries you earned. I'll post more information about this later, as always.

--------------------
Want a rotating avatar like mine? Check out my website: randimg!
Thanks to all of the people in this thread and this thread for the various avatars!

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Yamper
post Dec 11 2017, 11:19 PM
Post #2

Axew and Volcarona enthusiast
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 61 211

Invisible Kyurem

My mother always told me not to gamble.
I probably won't be thaaaat active due to work and revision but I'll give things a go. I'm also not about New Years so rip me paha.

Hope you all enjoy the wonderful events!

--------------------

Don't forget to love yourself.
Add me for daily clicks: 873/1000

[align=center]---

Community Thread Shiny List!

---[/align]
[align=right]Breeding Incentives: Mission Cards
[/align]
+Quote Post

Level-X
post Dec 11 2017, 11:24 PM
Post #3

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 170 583

Squad

Ayy, lots of fun activities. Going to be as active as I can be and will be clicking a great bit, so be sure to start your Hoenn hunts! Good luck to everyone in these events, I hope you all get some good luck. Thanks for making things possible. Happy holidays!

This post has been edited by Level-X: Dec 11 2017, 11:25 PM

--------------------
GPX+ Shiny Tracker (v3.1.1) last updated on Oct. 16, 2023

» » » We can help you a lot quicker through the Discord compared to the Forums! « « «

+Quote Post

Luneon
post Dec 11 2017, 11:27 PM
Post #4

The older I get, the less I seem to care for things....
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 33 779

The Chosen Ones

Sounds like a lot of fun!
Thank you so much for giving us events this year as well!
I'll be doing my best

--------------------

Banners&Quotes (click to show)
+Quote Post

Cycloneblaze
post Dec 11 2017, 11:31 PM
Post #5

The Blue Comet
Group Icon

Member No.: 93 314

snappers

Hurray, more coins... I guess we all know how this goes by now? Even though I'm finished college until well into January I still don't see myself being active enough to get anything good haha! But I'm glad to see that events are back regardless.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Gryphaena
post Dec 12 2017, 12:36 AM
Post #6

She Who Can Be Voracious
Group Icon

Member No.: 79 103

My Purple Ones

I am glad I don't start my semester until January 29!

I want to try for some sweet, sweet Prize Points. :]

--------------------
Avatar by Cycloneblaze at Cycloneshop II

GPX+GPX+

Poliwager Poliwager
+Quote Post

Moonlit
post Dec 12 2017, 03:00 AM
Post #7

Go-with-the-flow Private
Group Icon

Member No.: 84 198

Private Army

Wow, oh wow there are a lot of events happening in the latter part of this month. I'll have to get on a lot to really see how everything has worked (since I just got back into GPX+ around August, say).

--------------------

Pal Pad for daily clicks, or otherwise. (132/135)
Follow me on Twitter? @Anthimonymous

Art (click to show)

I Love You Kelsey <3 (click to show)

GPX Groups (click to show)

Rookie (click to show)

~ VDex ~
+Quote Post

Synx Itax
post Dec 12 2017, 09:48 AM
Post #8

A learning vessel of several lessons to make me more clever.
Group Icon

Member No.: 23 405

My Loves

Enjoy the events, everyone. happy.gif

--------------------

Check my GPXPlus journal to see what I contributed to the site!

Interested in a commission? PM me.
+Quote Post

Esc
post Dec 12 2017, 11:55 AM
Post #9

Account Upgraded | Title Enabled
Group Icon

Member No.: 114 649

Active Squad

Time to be active again (:

Happy holidays everyone

--------------------

Thnx Moonlit

Proud Member of the KotRt & Shiny Lovers Redux! & Blue Moons!

+Quote Post

Tallamar
post Dec 12 2017, 12:05 PM
Post #10

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 168 754

Active Squad

Secret Santa Exchange hyyyyyype! crazy.gif I already know what I'm putting in, heh heh. And fingers crossed that my job schedule will allow me to be thoroughly active on New Years...

--------------------
+Quote Post

Sportsfan666
post Dec 12 2017, 12:10 PM
Post #11

It's been awhile since I changed this.
Group Icon

Member No.: 9 506

Active Squad

I have a few extra shinies sitting around so I'll toss one of them in~ Merry Christmas everyone.

--------------------
+Quote Post

timeerkat
post Dec 12 2017, 12:29 PM
Post #12

Your Friend Who Likes To Play
Group Icon

Member No.: 16 515

bulbasaur army

Yahoo! I'm super excited for the Secret Santa Exchange! grin.gif

Now I need to refresh my own memory of which Pokemon are in Gen 3. (I've only played Red/Blue and a tiny bit of Yellow, so my knowledge of Pokemon beyond that comes from this site and VDex Project (RIP), hahaha. So the later generations tend to blend together for me.)

--------------------
+Quote Post

Zerxer
post Dec 12 2017, 01:11 PM
Post #13

Zerkadelic
Group Icon

My Favorites

QUOTE(MiyukoKaioh @ Dec 12 2017, 06:56 AM) *
I haven't participated last time so I would like to know what day we need to be active for the raffle.

It will most likely be Sunday, December 31st. New Year's Eve itself.

--------------------
Thanks to all of the people in this thread and this thread for the various avatars!

+Quote Post

Cycloneblaze
post Dec 12 2017, 01:21 PM
Post #14

The Blue Comet
Group Icon

Member No.: 93 314

snappers

QUOTE(timeerkat @ Dec 12 2017, 05:29 PM) *
Yahoo! I'm super excited for the Secret Santa Exchange! grin.gif

Now I need to refresh my own memory of which Pokemon are in Gen 3. (I've only played Red/Blue and a tiny bit of Yellow, so my knowledge of Pokemon beyond that comes from this site and VDex Project (RIP), hahaha. So the later generations tend to blend together for me.)

There's a neat list of 3rd gen Pokémon that have less that 5120 egg steps on veekun here. Myself, I'm taking this opportunity to continue my Ralts-hunting goal grin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

Tyranisaur
post Dec 12 2017, 02:49 PM
Post #15

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 47 812

Totally...useless

I guess I can preface this by saying that I will be a bit pedantic about this, but I want to address the specified bold text.
QUOTE(Zerxer @ Dec 12 2017, 04:53 AM) *
We've made this event 12 days because last year it was 10 days with an added twist of earning more coins depending on the sprite your Pokémon hatched with (which we're not doing this year), so this gives you a better chance of earning around the same amount of coins (or beating your record).

Talking strictly about the stats we actually do keep, which is the daily record and not the total number of accumulated coins, it seems strange that you would consider it fair to extend the event to compensate for the removal of earning coins by hatching pokemon with the specific sprites. Me being me, I don't really care about how many coins I accumulate during this event compared to last year, especially because that stat was reset. In that regard I think it's fortunate that we don't let old stats haunt us when it is unclear whether it is fair to expect numbers of the same size as we had last year, or before that. Meanwhile, we do keep the daily record, which I think is going to be very hard to beat when the numbers aren't going to be amplified by the same mechanic as last year. To some degree we have the same kind of problems on other stats as well, because it is harder to achieve high numbers in them since the site activity has decreased over the years. From a fairness perspective, I don't like that.

Also, considering the ...noise... we have had over the prizes from this kind of event previously, I have a gut feeling that it might not have been the wisest idea to encourage us to compare our coin totals for this year to the coin totals we have had previously. As someone who has received the top prize for this kind of event twice, I want to stress that the prize brackets are determined late, because they are based on our totals. If you want a certain type of prize, you need to look at everyone's coin totals in this event and not the brackets from last year. If anyone wants to get a sense for what the brackets might be, I'm going to advise you to look at the ranks, but also look at potential gaps in how many coins users have earned. Like if everyone in the top 10 have coin totals that are very close to each other, but then the 11th one has a substantial amount less, then the staff might decide to put the cutoff between two prize brackets right between 10th and 11th place. I think that's what you should have in mind about the prizes.

A note about the Dreidel. It's random, but the odds are skewed to be a little bit in your favour, but not by a lot. I kept track on all my spins last year, and the end result were not as pretty as you might expect from someone at the top. I can very confidentially say that I earned less coins from the Dreidel in total than I earned by hatching pokemon with gen 1 sprites.

There is a question I have asked about how the exchanges work, which is the secret santa event. I haven't got a decisive answer about whether it does this, but I'm still going to ask here. We know the exchange tries to give you a pokemon that you haven't obtained before. However, when you put in a shiny, it is unclear whether the exchange will try to give you a shiny that you haven't had before. So for example, my pokedex is complete at the moment, so there's nothing I could be given that I haven't had before. But if I put in my shiny Cresselia, it would be nice if the system tried to give me something like a shiny Heatran rather than a shiny Ho-oh, because I have obtained a shiny Ho-oh, but I do not have the entry for shiny Heatran in my pokedex.

Happy holidays.

--------------------

All my stuff is viewable by everyone on my public page.
Make trinket offers faster

The Discord chat is a nice way to hang out with other users.
+Quote Post

Zerxer
post Dec 12 2017, 10:09 PM
Post #16

Zerkadelic
Group Icon

My Favorites

QUOTE(Tyranisaur @ Dec 12 2017, 01:49 PM) *
I guess I can preface this by saying that I will be a bit pedantic about this, but I want to address the specified bold text.
QUOTE(Zerxer @ Dec 12 2017, 04:53 AM) *
(or beating your record).

Talking strictly about the stats we actually do keep, which is the daily record and not the total number of accumulated coins, it seems strange that you would consider it fair to extend the event to compensate

I admittedly rushed to post this thread last night. I decided earlier that afternoon that I was going to run all the same events as last year, copied last year's post, and modified it as needed. I looked at the dates for Hanukkah this year and thought it would be nice to throw in an extra Friday/Saturday and I actually forgot how the stats worked, so that bold text was me trying to find a fun way to reason with extending it.

I don't think it would have worked as well as last year's Gen 1 event if I kept the 5 coin bonus for "hatching with a 3rd Gen sprite." We could've considered hatching with a certain nature, and if that's something users and the staff would really like me to do, I could certainly do it.

QUOTE(Tyranisaur @ Dec 12 2017, 01:49 PM) *
There is a question I have asked about how the exchanges work, which is the secret santa event. I haven't got a decisive answer about whether it does this, but I'm still going to ask here. We know the exchange tries to give you a pokemon that you haven't obtained before. However, when you put in a shiny, it is unclear whether the exchange will try to give you a shiny that you haven't had before. So for example, my pokedex is complete at the moment, so there's nothing I could be given that I haven't had before. But if I put in my shiny Cresselia, it would be nice if the system tried to give me something like a shiny Heatran rather than a shiny Ho-oh, because I have obtained a shiny Ho-oh, but I do not have the entry for shiny Heatran in my pokedex.

When you deposit a non-shiny Pokémon, it attempts to give you an egg that's not in your egg dex. When you deposit a shiny Pokémon, it attempts to give you a shiny egg that's not in your shiny dex. If, for either circumstance, it cannot find a "new" egg to give you, it will give you one you've already had (with no other added weight/preference on the choice). If it still can't find one for you (if there's no more in the queue to give out), it's considered a fail, and we manually look into if there's a better way to redistribute them, but this has actually never happened in any of the past exchanges so far.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Level-X
post Dec 12 2017, 10:13 PM
Post #17

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Squad

Hey Zerxer, Tyranisaur mentioned on the Discord chat about how the Spin the Dreidel used to be in a circle with an Amulet Coin inside it, next to the Poke Hunt and stuff so if possible could we have that back? So it's easier to know when we can use it and stuff.

--------------------

» » » We can help you a lot quicker through the Discord compared to the Forums! « « «

+Quote Post

Zerxer
post Dec 12 2017, 10:14 PM
Post #18

Zerkadelic
Group Icon

My Favorites

QUOTE(Level-X @ Dec 12 2017, 09:13 PM) *
Hey Zerxer, Tyranisaur mentioned on the Discord chat about how the Spin the Dreidel used to be in a circle with an Amulet Coin inside it, next to the Poke Hunt and stuff so if possible could we have that back? So it's easier to know when we can use it and stuff.

Oh yeah, I forgot about this, and then was reminded of it by Jen last night, and then forgot again... I'm on it now.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Level-X
post Dec 12 2017, 10:15 PM
Post #19

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Squad

QUOTE(Zerxer @ Dec 12 2017, 09:14 PM) *
QUOTE(Level-X @ Dec 12 2017, 09:13 PM) *

Oh yeah, I forgot about this, and then was reminded of it by Jen last night, and then forgot again... I'm on it now.

Thanks man, much appreciated! happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

seasky
post Dec 12 2017, 11:48 PM
Post #20

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 19 792

Active Squad

Oh,i have just come back this October.
And never join it before.
So,i am excited about it!
+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:35 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.