Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
TMs and HMs, Need some clarification.
Red Kitten
post Sep 2 2009, 11:21 PM
Post #1

FUBAR.
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 44 281

DC's Team (PANE)

(Wow, I have a lot of questions lately...)

So I was wondering about TMs and HMs, and forgive me if someone has already asked about this, but I looked around for a while and found nothing. So:

1.) Do we even have TMs and HMs in Furoh? I would assume we do, but you never know. If there is no such thing, can Pokemon still learn HM exclusive moves like surf and fly by leveling up or egg moves or something?

2.) How would one acquire a TM or HM? With Mod permission I'm assuming, but would you buy them in stores, or find them while traveling, or get one as a random gift like in the video games? Particularly HMs, such as fly, cut, surf, etc, seeing as you don't buy those in the video games, you get gifted with them. So I'm not exactly sure how this would work.

3.) How exactly would you use a TM or HM? I know they're machines, but what exactly do they look like and how do they function? I believe they've been depicted as disks before, but how would you use it? Just shove it into your Pokemon's mouth and hope it learns the move somehow?

Thanks in advance to whoever helps me with this.

--------------------

Click my Pokemon please? <3

Credits (click to show)

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Master Houndoom
post Sep 3 2009, 12:19 AM
Post #2

Team Rogue: Houndoom
Group Icon

Member No.: 804

Uprising Mod

Well, really, we don't use them. The rule specifically states that if it makes sense for a pokemon to know a move for the type or level it is, it can know it. We restrict more by level than by whether it learns it by level up, TM, HM, or tutor.

For HMs, I don't have a definitive answer. However, the anime handles it pretty well: If it makes sense that you can ride a pokemon in the water, no HM is needed. (See Dewgong, Lapras, etc). Same with Fly. If it's big enough to carry you somehow, it can fly you around.

There are restrictions, of course. While there is a pikachu that knows surf, and a rhydon in the anime that also knows surf, you'd need mod permission. Also, using Surf as a move in battle would still be dependant on level: Having a level one squirtle use Surf would be pretty overpowering.

So, as a synopsis, and the other mods can certainly add to or over ride this: If it makes sense, it's OK. If it's a little off, get mod permission. If it's a specialty thing, pray to the Mods, because it's not happening otherwise. :P

IF you want to use a TM as a plot device (They DO exist in this world: Team Deception has hacked ones), they would be in the shape of a VR helmet or pair of goggled, or possibly a device that looks and acts like a retinal scanner. Or they can be kind of a VR machine that "trains" the pokemon. It's your call. The harder the move, the harder it should be to acquire the TM.

--------------------
[align=center]Uprising Mod

||
Jaima Kuonji and Meiko Omura||Branwys Muphenz
[spoiler=Jaima's Gym Badges][/spoiler]
PANE

||
Jay Lange||Olivia Prewitt
Uprising

As of January 29, 2010, at approximately 7:50am CST, 2gamers helped me complete my pokedex!

:houndoom: I claim Houndoom! :houndoom: [/align]
+Quote Post

Red Kitten
post Sep 3 2009, 09:41 AM
Post #3

FUBAR.
Group Icon

Member No.: 44 281

DC's Team (PANE)

OK, thank you. I did have sort of a specialty thing in mind for one of the next Pokemon I catch, but I suppose I'll just bring that up to the Mod I PM to ask for permission to catch it.

--------------------

Click my Pokemon please? <3

Credits (click to show)

+Quote Post

Arconious
post Sep 3 2009, 06:52 PM
Post #4

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 39 827

Dramus's Pokemon

Didn't they just strap the disc to the pokemon's head in the manga? I remember seeing the manga with the Eevee brothers, and I believe that is how they used it.
+Quote Post

Douken Sota
post Sep 21 2009, 12:50 PM
Post #5

Space Force? Pirate? Outlaw sounds nice...
Group Icon

Member No.: 17 104

PANE

IMO opinion, I think doing it in the anime would work, like the disk would have a guide to show what the move does, but the trainer has to train the pokemon quite constantly until it had the move down (Like when Ash wanted Turtwig to know Energy Ball or Pikachu with Iron Tail).

--------------------
Let the Kishin Egg take you to my GPX+ Team.
+Quote Post

Elito
post Sep 21 2009, 12:58 PM
Post #6

My life's a theater.
Group Icon

Member No.: 50 181

MonoPoison

Or Swellow with Aeril Ace and Staravia with Brave Bird...

x3

--------------------

x
+Quote Post

firetools
post Sep 13 2010, 10:04 AM
Post #7

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 33 090

PANE Active

To add to this question, what about those pokemon that canonically have moves that don't fit (E.G Cyndaquil learning extrasensory) Could they still learn those moves?
+Quote Post

Living Arrow
post Sep 13 2010, 10:39 AM
Post #8

Team Rogue: Pidgeotto
Group Icon

Group: RP Moderators
Member No.: 814

PANE: Darryn Kellor

QUOTE(firetools @ Sep 13 2010, 04:04 PM) *
To add to this question, what about those pokemon that canonically have moves that don't fit (E.G Cyndaquil learning extrasensory) Could they still learn those moves?

Yes.

--------------------
Darryn Kellor ~ ~ PANE Moderator ~ ~ Lori Pardare
PANE Characters (click to show)
LA's Plays (click to show)

Unovalocke (click to show)
+Quote Post

Bronze Charizard
post May 15 2011, 10:41 AM
Post #9

Dragons rule. Admit it...
Group Icon

Member No.: 76 205

Hot Springs Gym

Looks like I don't need to make a new topic for my question.
2.) How would one acquire a TM or HM? With Mod permission I'm assuming, but would you buy them in stores, or find them while traveling, or get one as a random gift like in the video games? Particularly HMs, such as fly, cut, surf, etc, seeing as you don't buy those in the video games, you get gifted with them. So I'm not exactly sure how this would work.

This hasn't been answered good enough. Do I need mod permission to buy a TM in a store, find one, or receive one as a gift?

--------------------

Refresh to see another one of my favorites! I currently have 7 out of 17 types drawn...

RP Characters | Deviant Art
Personality Quizzes (click to show)
+Quote Post

Toogee
post May 15 2011, 01:29 PM
Post #10

Weak Livered Milk Drinker
Group Icon

Group: RP Moderators
Member No.: 208

And a Golurk

If you have permission for the move, you can do any of those things. Just make a request at the Move Request thread. wink.gif

--------------------
PANE Mod

PANE x2 (click to show)

Credit for 2gamer's Seel of Approval (click to show)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th March 2024 - 09:46 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.