Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

READ ME FIRST

DO NOT make any 'click my eggs/Pokémon' threads/posts or any 'what is this egg' threads/posts or you WILL be warned 10% instantly!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Shelter grab formula explained, How to optimize your clicking to receive more Shelter grabs
pumpkinking0192
post Jan 8 2012, 04:34 PM
Post #1

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 35 141

Active Squad

In the wake of Erty's investigations into the mechanics of the activity score and the Pokewalker, I found myself wondering exactly how the additional grabs gained by Shelter Passes worked. All I could find was a vague post by Big Bidoof:

QUOTE(Big Bidoof @ Jul 27 2010, 07:07 AM) *
It's number of Shelter Passes * floor(((some number * interactions) + (some number * proper interactions))/some number) that get added, yup yup.

But I found myself wondering about the actual numbers, as well as whether the formula given way back in '10 was the one still used. (I believe the quote is from before the activity score was introduced, so I wasn't sure whether the shelter grab formula would have been revised to take the activity score into account. As it turns out, it hasn't changed.) To figure this out, I outlined and performed a little experiment. For the purposes of this investigation, the variables (and the resulting formula) are as follows:

S = Shelter Passes
G = # Grabs
A = Activity Score
I = Interactions (all)
P = Proper interactions

G = (S * floor(((x * I) + (y * P))/z)) + 4S + 6
which simplifies to:
G = (S * floor((Ix + Py)/z)) + 4S + 6

Since I have all 5 Shelter Passes, my daily grabs start at 26 and increase in multiples of 5. For two days, I clicked only eggs; for another two days, I clicked only proper berries. Since I wanted to rule out the possibility that the formula had changed to take activity score into account, the former of each pair of days was spent trying to get a high activity score (hatching eggs, buying items, etc) and the latter was spent doing little on the site except clicking.

Day Three (proper interactions only, high activity score) ended up being kind of botched because, as I discovered, feeding an Exploration Pokemon with a status effect doesn't necessarily count as a proper berry interaction. I believe this only occurs if the Pokemon was obtained for a prior task and then inflicted with a status effect (like the Salamence in the Genesect exploration). The data on from Days One and Two, however, proved that activity score doesn't affect shelter grabs, so Day Four's data should be sufficient.

When I was unsure exactly how many clicks I had made, I either noted the maximum and minimum, or estimated (~) if I wasn't precisely sure of the maximum and minimum. My data is as follows:

Data (click to show)

Our equation:
G = (S * floor((Ix + Py)/z)) + 4S + 6

now becomes:
1 = (S * ((327x + 327y)/z)) + 4S + 6
and
1 = (S * ((2943x + 0y)/z)) + 4S + 6

Some poking around on the Internet tells me that unless we know at least one of x, y, or z, we can't derive any of them. But all is not lost; even if we don't know the exact equation, we have still discovered exactly how many clicks must be made to get more Shelter grabs.

If one is careful to click only proper berries (and doesn't click any eggs or Pokemon without preferences), one will earn more Shelter grabs every 327 proper berry interactions.

If one clicks no proper berries at all, one will earn more Shelter grabs every 2943 interactions.

In other words, proper berry interactions earn Shelter grabs nine times faster than improper interactions.

A little something for you to think about the next time you run out of grabs.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

BTS Jin
post Jan 8 2012, 04:58 PM
Post #2

you can't eat a pool
Group Icon

Member No.: 20 146

we only swim free

This is very useful! happy.gif Thanks for taking the time to investigate this. Right now I have 800 interactions, of which 30 are proper. Going to try this out, counting both normal interactions and proper interactions.

EDIT: Dang, forgot it was fog. Oh well, I'll just use a Pass Power and adjust my own minitest numbers...

EDIT2: All right, confirmed. I just got five more interactions. The following should result in x = 1, to confirm that the number 2943 is in fact the correct total improper interaction number to earn grabs.

My data right now, using different variables:

891 improper interactions --> 891x
228 proper interactions --> 228y

As you stated, 9 improper interactions (x) are worth 1 proper interaction (y). So:

9x = y

And also as you stated, for every 2943 improper interaction values, new grabs are gained. So, using that information with my own personal interaction data:

2943 = 891x + 228y

Substitute 228y for 228(9x) using the previously mentioned equation:

2943 = 891x + 228(9x)

Simplify:

2943 = 891x + 2052x
2943 = 2943x
x = 1

A bit overcomplicated, but just checking for myself that yes, 2943 improper interactions and 327 (or, 2943/3) proper interactions are the right numbers before earning more shelter grabs.

This post has been edited by Klaine: Jan 8 2012, 05:36 PM

--------------------
justnosense

ripulse
allegro
manila
klaine
kurtbastian
wooper

teen heat
+Quote Post

Erty
post Jan 8 2012, 08:44 PM
Post #3

Shiny Shooter
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 75 612

The Mew the Merrier

okay i tend to read the full data before posting ut i'm in a kind of tl;dr mood today so i scanned it and i dont think you tested by doing solely egg warming to see if shelter grabs get increased, so either wait for me to ecome less lazy and find out if egg grabs (the perfect incorrect berry feeding method) increases shelter grabs or do it yourself?:P i'd love to know exact numers too kinda as this was kind of my next 'project' xD

irrelevant then ;p

This post has been edited by Erty: Jan 8 2012, 10:06 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

pumpkinking0192
post Jan 8 2012, 09:54 PM
Post #4

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 35 141

Active Squad

QUOTE(Erty @ Jan 8 2012, 07:44 PM) *
okay i tend to read the full data before posting ut i'm in a kind of tl;dr mood today so i scanned it and i dont think you tested by doing solely egg warming to see if shelter grabs get increased, so either wait for me to ecome less lazy and find out if egg grabs (the perfect incorrect berry feeding method) increases shelter grabs or do it yourself?:P i'd love to know exact numers too kinda as this was kind of my next 'project' xD

I did indeed. Days One and Two, I had the online list set to "Eggs" instead of my usual "Pokemon and Eggs". (I assumed, as most people assume, that egg interactions and wrong berry interactions would be lumped together equally as "improper", so I didn't test whether there was a difference between them.)

QUOTE(pumpkinking0192)
Since I have all 5 Shelter Passes, my daily grabs start at 26 and increase in multiples of 5. For two days, I clicked only eggs; for another two days, I clicked only proper berries. Since I wanted to rule out the possibility that the formula had changed to take activity score into account, the former of each pair of days was spent trying to get a high activity score (hatching eggs, buying items, etc) and the latter was spent doing little on the site except clicking.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Tyranisaur
post Jan 10 2012, 01:39 PM
Post #5

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 47 812

Totally...useless

This basically proves that proper berries count 9 more times, meaning y=8x. Also, if you set x=1, then you get to see that the number you divide by z is interactions + proper * 8. And since the number inside the floor has to be greater than or equal to 1 and less than 2 for you to get one new set of grabs, z seems to be 2943. That is assuming you never got any extra grabs with less than that value over the z.

This post has been edited by Tyranisaur: Jan 10 2012, 02:13 PM

--------------------

All my stuff is viewable by everyone on my public page.
Make trinket offers faster

The Discord chat is a nice way to hang out with other users.
+Quote Post

Erty
post Jan 10 2012, 05:02 PM
Post #6

Shiny Shooter
Group Icon

The Mew the Merrier

QUOTE(Tyranisaur @ Jan 10 2012, 07:39 PM) *
This basically proves that proper berries count 9 more times, meaning y=8x. Also, if you set x=1, then you get to see that the number you divide by z is interactions + proper * 8. And since the number inside the floor has to be greater than or equal to 1 and less than 2 for you to get one new set of grabs, z seems to be 2943. That is assuming you never got any extra grabs with less than that value over the z.

someone should be able to see if this is the exact number by running a test (i'm kinda busy right now) but seeing how gpx have decided their other "secret variables" the number is probably 2900, 2950 or 3000

--------------------
+Quote Post

BTS Jin
post Jan 10 2012, 08:17 PM
Post #7

you can't eat a pool
Group Icon

Member No.: 20 146

we only swim free

QUOTE(Erty @ Jan 10 2012, 02:02 PM) *

someone should be able to see if this is the exact number by running a test (i'm kinda busy right now) but seeing how gpx have decided their other "secret variables" the number is probably 2900, 2950 or 3000

In my post above, I did test this number. I carefully used both proper and improper interactions bit by bit until I gained new grabs, and came to the same conclusion that pumpkinking0192 did with his proper- and improper-only tests at the exact number 2943. Which is a bit weird, but it's the right number.

--------------------
justnosense

ripulse
allegro
manila
klaine
kurtbastian
wooper

teen heat
+Quote Post

NTrinnu2
post Jan 10 2012, 11:39 PM
Post #8

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 30 667

Eeveeness

This is like math class all over again~ xD
NICE!!

--------------------

Rinn-chan's meowiness

----><-----

~
Shiny (click to show)
Breeding Notes (click to show)

♥♥♥
+Quote Post

Barney Stinson
post Jan 10 2012, 11:40 PM
Post #9

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 112 118

Active Squad

Very helpful grin.gif
Now, when i'll need another grabs i'll know exactly what to do.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Cherry Chain
post Jan 10 2012, 11:57 PM
Post #10

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 8 635

My Platinum Party <3

Wow, nice 0.0

I'd always wondered why I'd randomly get extra shelter grabs sometimes (I've been on a very very long Hiatus >.>; )

--------------------
+Quote Post

Keldeo Knight
post Jan 11 2012, 06:42 AM
Post #11

Aquatic Knight
Group Icon

Member No.: 28 184

Cool

wow, it 's very useful for me
thanks pumpkinking0192 for ur investigation grin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Yamper
post Jan 11 2012, 08:03 AM
Post #12

Axew and Volcarona enthusiast
Group Icon

Member No.: 61 211

Invisible Kyurem

Welp I always assumed it was every 5k activity score or something haha.

But thanks for clearing this up, pumpkin wink.gif will definitely be handy grin.gif

This post has been edited by Samoo: Jan 11 2012, 08:03 AM

--------------------

Don't forget to love yourself.
Add me for daily clicks: 873/1000

[align=center]---

Community Thread Shiny List!

---[/align]
[align=right]Breeding Incentives: Mission Cards
[/align]
+Quote Post

Erty
post Jan 11 2012, 11:08 AM
Post #13

Shiny Shooter
Group Icon

The Mew the Merrier

QUOTE(Klaine @ Jan 11 2012, 02:17 AM) *
QUOTE(Erty @ Jan 10 2012, 02:02 PM) *

In my post above, I did test this number. I carefully used both proper and improper interactions bit by bit until I gained new grabs, and came to the same conclusion that pumpkinking0192 did with his proper- and improper-only tests at the exact number 2943. Which is a bit weird, but it's the right number.

i just did only incorrect berry feeds and fed 1 egg every minute at the end and at 2942 i had 26 shelter grabs while i had 31 at 2943 so 2943 is indeed the correct number ^^

This post has been edited by Erty: Jan 11 2012, 11:13 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:11 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.