Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
17 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
Interactions Update
Big Bidoof
post Nov 16 2009, 10:16 PM
Post #1

Watching YOU
Group Icon

Group: Root Administrators
Member No.: 1

Active Squad

The way that interactions are handled has been redone, as to better use the server's resources.

For now, the only change that you, as an end user, will notice (apart from improved site performance), however, is that the increases to both pokemon, and also your points, and all related statistics, from interactions, will now no longer be applied instantly, but rather, every 10 minutes, just like views are (the increases from clicks, however, take place at times ending in 5 [12:05, 12:15, etc.], where as views take place at times ending in 0 [12:00, 12:10, etc.], so it alternates every 5 minutes how you gain experience).

There will also be new features in the future to go into more detailed views of which users have been clicking you.

If you come across any bugs, be sure to post them here.

Frequently asked questions - read these before posting
- When do I gain experience from clicks?
Every 10 minutes, if the clock ends in a 5 (12:05, 12:15, 12:25, and so on)

- My points aren't increasing!
They increase at the same time experience from clicks does, whenever the time ends in a 5.

- What about the PokeWalker?
Same as points and experience - whenever the clock ends in a 5.

- But I don't want to wait 10 minutes to hatch my egg!
Well, firstly, you don't have to wait 10 minutes, it's up to 10 minutes, depending on when the clicks are made in the first place. And moreover, you also can be gaining experience from posting your eggs on other forums every 10 minutes as well, whenever the clock ends in a 0, so really, it's up to five minutes that you'd be waiting - it would work something like 12:00 you get views, 12:05 clicks, 12:10 views, 12:15 clicks, and so on.

- But I still don't like waiting!
Well... tough, really. It was a necessary change to better use the server's resources, and moreover, this isn't the only site on the server, either - so if GPXPlus bogs the server down, it not only affects people here, but users on other sites as well.

- What happens if I deposit a Pokemon in the PC before clicks are applied?
They still gain the experience. You can still deposit them whenever you like.

- What happens to any extra clicks an egg gains beyond its maximum steps?
Extra clicks beyond an egg's maximum steps will give it experience the next time clicks are calculated after it's hatched, assuming it's on the same day. So, for example, say my egg gets 10 clicks before 1:05, but only needed 1 to hatch. Those extra nine would then not apply, and would sit unused. Then, I hatch the egg at 2:33, and following that, at 2:35 when the clicks are next calculated, those extra nine clicks would be added on. However, if you didn't end up hatching the egg till the next day, those extra clicks would be cleared during the nightly reset.

- What happens at 11:55, since the reset takes place, but I'd also be gaining clicks then?
Well, though the reset starts at 11:55, it actually waits a minute before actually doing anything, so you'd still gain the full amount of clicks for the 11:45-11:55 time period.

--------------------
"Java is to JavaScript as ham is to hamster."

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Schwimm
post Nov 16 2009, 10:26 PM
Post #2

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 48 464

Active Squad

So if an egg is at 5119 after one update, then I have to wait a full 10 minutes before the egg is ready to hatch? Then hatch the egg...and wait another 10 minutes before the egg updates and becomes a Pokemon and I can put it into my PC?

That seems a little annoying, especially for eggs that are so close to hatching.

--------------------

Ribbons (click to show)

+Quote Post

Zerxer
post Nov 16 2009, 10:30 PM
Post #3

Zerkadelic
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

My Favorites

QUOTE(Schwimm @ Nov 16 2009, 10:26 PM) *
So if an egg is at 5119 after one update, then I have to wait a full 10 minutes before the egg is ready to hatch? Then hatch the egg...and wait another 10 minutes before the egg updates and becomes a Pokemon and I can put it into my PC?

That seems a little annoying, especially for eggs that are so close to hatching.

No.. it would still hatch right away. It just has to do with calculating interactions. 10 minutes isn't that long of a time, really.

We've already seen people complaining about the update elsewhere, and I'm not quite sure why. This in no way harms users, except for it not updating instantly. But this will greatly improve the site speed, and shouldn't everyone care about that more? Now it doesn't have to do a ton of calculating every time someone interacts with something, which is over a hundred times a second (with all the users at once).

--------------------
Want a rotating avatar like mine? Check out my website: randimg!
Thanks to all of the people in this thread and this thread for the various avatars!

+Quote Post

Kairi700
post Nov 16 2009, 10:30 PM
Post #4

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 44 789

Current HG Team

When I clicked everyone on my pal pad, the pad itself showed that I didn't click anyone. The bar that shows who I interacted with says I did. Is that a 10 minute wait too?

Does that make sense?

Edit: Checked this afternoon. It works now. Thanks!

--------------------
Current Party (click to show)
Dragon Cave (click to show)

90% of teens would die if MySpace had a system failure and crashed. If you are part of the 10% that would die laughing, copy and paste this into your signature.

+Quote Post

xdante619
post Nov 16 2009, 10:31 PM
Post #5

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 55 233

Active Squad

i'm not entirely sure how this would help with interactions. how would we know when our eggs are ready to hatch if we have to wait 10 minutes for the maturity to raise? i just can't see how this is a helpful idea for anyone it'll just be too annoying waiting 10 minutes after every interaction to get anywhere
+Quote Post

Spoovo The Pirat...
post Nov 16 2009, 10:34 PM
Post #6

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 43 235

Team RAWR!

It's saying that the "Users Online" list doesn't seem to exist. I got a 404 when I went to look at it.

That a part of this, or is it something wrong?

--------------------

I WRITE FANFICS!

It's All In The Genes

Moonlight

Please read and review! cat.gif
+Quote Post

Schwimm
post Nov 16 2009, 10:35 PM
Post #7

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 48 464

Active Squad

QUOTE(Zerxer @ Nov 16 2009, 10:30 PM) *

No.. it would still hatch right away. It just has to do with calculating interactions. 10 minutes isn't that long of a time, really.

We've already seen people complaining about the update elsewhere, and I'm not quite sure why. This in no way harms users, except for it not updating instantly. But this will greatly improve the site speed, and shouldn't everyone care about that more? Now it doesn't have to do a ton of calculating every time someone interacts with something, which is over a hundred times a second (with all the users at once).

10 minutes can mean the difference between hatching an egg before I go to class and 8 hours later when I get home. It does make a difference, maybe a small one, but 10 minutes can make a real difference if you're only online for about 10 minutes in the morning. Now, I spend a lot more than 10 minutes online during the afternoon and evening, but for people who are only online for a short period of time, it can make the difference whether they hatch an egg tonight or two days later.

EDIT: I am already stuck waiting for an egg to hatch. Under the old system I could have that egg hatched, in my PC, and another one getting the interactions I'm getting right now.

--------------------

Ribbons (click to show)

+Quote Post

Zerxer
post Nov 16 2009, 10:36 PM
Post #8

Zerkadelic
Group Icon

My Favorites

QUOTE(xdante619 @ Nov 16 2009, 10:31 PM) *
i'm not entirely sure how this would help with interactions. how would we know when our eggs are ready to hatch if we have to wait 10 minutes for the maturity to raise? i just can't see how this is a helpful idea for anyone it'll just be too annoying waiting 10 minutes after every interaction to get anywhere

It's not 10 minutes after every interaction, it's at 10 minute intervals throughout the hour. Like how views update at xx:10, xx:20, etc. All interactions are counted and updated every 10 minutes.

--------------------
Thanks to all of the people in this thread and this thread for the various avatars!

+Quote Post

Love
post Nov 16 2009, 10:37 PM
Post #9

If love is a labor, I'll slave till the end
Group Icon

Member No.: 57 047

Active Squad

Less lag? I'm all for it.

I usually only check my party every ten minutes anyway. We don't need to check on our interactions every two minutes, so it sounds like a good idea.

EDIT: I'm already noticing a huge difference, and that's even WITH my fiance downloading a bunch of stuff at the same time. Less lag > immediate update. Thanks! happy.gif

This post has been edited by Fearow: Nov 16 2009, 10:48 PM

--------------------

Married on May 8, 2011!
Past names: Fearow, Mewtu, Mebukijika, Sawsbuck, Truth
+Quote Post

Liliac
post Nov 16 2009, 10:37 PM
Post #10

Wind Elemental
Group Icon

Member No.: 67 159

Meow

i think i understand what the mods mean.
sometimes you waste more than 10 min because of the nasty gateway anyway.

if it'll kill the lag, y not?

This post has been edited by liliac: Nov 16 2009, 10:38 PM

--------------------
Awesome sig by shakefrost (intu) <3

Boy do I have patience. - Done 07/3/2010, before the mass-buying option when you had to buy one by one. (click to show)

Shinies <3 (click to show)

Awards and boasts (click to show)
+Quote Post

Simply Angle
post Nov 16 2009, 10:38 PM
Post #11

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 28 270

Radda Rada

QUOTE(KiwiDean @ Nov 16 2009, 07:34 PM) *
It's saying that the "Users Online" list doesn't seem to exist. I got a 404 when I went to look at it.

It's now back up, so the issues seems fix.
Also I am pro for less lag, so this update doesn't really bug me.

This post has been edited by Simply Angle: Nov 16 2009, 10:39 PM

--------------------
★★★★

★★★★

+Quote Post

Yuriel
post Nov 16 2009, 10:38 PM
Post #12

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 68 032

Pokemon Pearl

I suppose it's a trade off. On one hand, the lag is sorta fixed which is definitely a plus. On the other hand, you have to wait up to 20 mins every time you hatch/evolve anything (10 for the server to update after you get to full maturity, and another 10 after you hatch/evolve for it to show the new pokemon.) We'll see how it goes, but I think the trade off could prove worth it.

*edit* note how i said "up to", meaning most of the time it will be less than that, so i guess not that bad.

--------------------
My mascot: Dunda Stryke

+Quote Post

xdante619
post Nov 16 2009, 10:39 PM
Post #13

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 55 233

Active Squad

QUOTE(Zerxer @ Nov 17 2009, 04:30 AM) *

i think the reason they're complaining is because there is now no way of knowing if our eggs are ready to hatch or our pokemon can evolve ect if we have to wait 10 minutes per interaction. it's probably slowed down the site more than the lag did afterall we now can't hatch our eggs or do anything with our pokemon until 10 minutes after they're ready.
+Quote Post

Zerxer
post Nov 16 2009, 10:39 PM
Post #14

Zerkadelic
Group Icon

My Favorites

QUOTE(Schwimm @ Nov 16 2009, 10:35 PM) *
10 minutes can mean the difference between hatching an egg before I go to class and 8 hours later when I get home. It does make a difference, maybe a small one, but 10 minutes can make a real difference if you're only online for about 10 minutes in the morning. Now, I spend a lot more than 10 minutes online during the afternoon and evening, but for people who are only online for a short period of time, it can make the difference whether they hatch an egg tonight or two days later.

Well I'm sorry but I guess we care more about how smoothly our server is running and how fast the site loads for people than we do about the possibility of you running a few minutes late for class. Actually, with the time you might save on the pages loading faster, it could make up for it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Big Bidoof
post Nov 16 2009, 10:40 PM
Post #15

Watching YOU
Group Icon

Member No.: 1

Active Squad

QUOTE(Kairi700 @ Nov 16 2009, 10:30 PM) *
When I clicked everyone on my pal pad, the pad itself showed that I didn't click anyone. The bar that shows who I interacted with says I did. Is that a 10 minute wait too?

Does that make sense?

Yup, I fixed that, thanks.

QUOTE(xdante619 @ Nov 16 2009, 10:31 PM) *

Well, it's quite simple, really:

Before, with every interaction, the user data and pokemon data would be updated.
Now, a log's kept, and then everything's done every 10 minutes... but, if, say, you did 1 000 in those 10 minutes, it could update your user data for all 1 000 of those interactions at once, and end up doing roughly 1/1 000 as much work as it would have otherwise done.

QUOTE(KiwiDean @ Nov 16 2009, 10:34 PM) *

I had to fix that page, but it should be fine now.

--------------------
"Java is to JavaScript as ham is to hamster."

+Quote Post

CATHAL
post Nov 16 2009, 10:41 PM
Post #16

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 63 638

Favorites xD

For people who click a lot, a ten minute wait between updates...seems a bit annoying. If you go out and click a whole lot of people and they go to click back, what if your egg/s need to be hatched but you have to wait for the ten minute thing to update and when it does update, by then you've lost interactions, especially if you click a whole lot. I feel as if it slows interactions a bit, actually... And my Pal Pad doesn't update right I think.

Edit: Mmkay. Pal Pad works great now. Thanks. ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post

Poison Ivy
post Nov 16 2009, 10:42 PM
Post #17

Mother of Flowers
Group Icon

Member No.: 6 003

My Babies

Okay I know that 10 minutes don't seem like a long time but some of the more active mass clickers out there get a whole lot of clicks in 5 mins or less so their eggs would be ready to hatch but the egg maturity isn't updated yet. Then in the time they wait, even though their eggs have enough maturity, people would be clicking back and giving the egg more maturity than the egg need.
In short, it's going to be like the old days when we used to be able to hug cracked eggs. >.>

--------------------
{}
+Quote Post

Panda14616
Post #18

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 69 339

Active Squad

Is it 10 minutes after it's been interacted with or just every 10 minutes of the hour very confused please help?

--------------------
+Quote Post

LilRed
Post #19

um
Group Icon

Member No.: 1 781

Active Squad

at first i hated it but then
QUOTE(Fearow @ Nov 16 2009, 10:37 PM) *
Less lag? I'm all for it.

I loved it.
--

I might have liked this update better if it only affected hatched pokemon

--------------------

GPX+
VDex
+Quote Post

Knight
post Nov 16 2009, 10:43 PM
Post #20

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 11 669

the A-Team rejects

Can't you just look at the options indicator on the righthand side of your party page to see if it's bold or not next to the pokemon/egg in question?

--------------------

+Quote Post

17 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:04 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.