Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Closed TopicStart new topic
Mammalian pokemon and eggs, Does it make sense?
Well?
Your thoughts:
All mammalian pokemon are monotremes, humans are just special. [ 12 ]  [40.00%]
Mammalian pokemon give birth to live young, eggs are there to avoid too much coding. [ 13 ]  [43.33%]
Humans in the pokemon world lay eggs too. [ 5 ]  [16.67%]
Total Votes: 30

Bronze Charizard
post Jul 17 2010, 11:39 AM
Post #1

Dragons rule. Admit it...
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 76 205

Hot Springs Gym

There are obviously some pokemon that don't look like egg layers. Vulpix, Miltank. Poochyena...the list goes on and on. A logical explanation would be to call them egg laying mammals(like platypi), officially called monotremes. But that would make humans the odd one out...

Judging from the games alone, I believe that Nintendo made all pokemon lay eggs to save time. I figure the breeding system was tedious enough to code, without considering which pokemon would lay eggs and which ones wouldn't.

What do you think?

This post has been edited by Ruby Charizard: Jul 17 2010, 11:56 AM

--------------------

Refresh to see another one of my favorites! I currently have 7 out of 17 types drawn...

RP Characters | Deviant Art
Personality Quizzes (click to show)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Yamper
post Jul 17 2010, 11:41 AM
Post #2

Axew and Volcarona enthusiast
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 61 211

Invisible Kyurem

Good point... although it's just pixels on a site lmao.

But I guess it's because they're going on the games? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick again?

--------------------

Don't forget to love yourself.
Add me for daily clicks: 873/1000

[align=center]---

Community Thread Shiny List!

---[/align]
[align=right]Breeding Incentives: Mission Cards
[/align]
+Quote Post

Cassowary
post Jul 22 2010, 12:27 PM
Post #3

Skarmory Squadron Supreme
Group Icon

Member No.: 4 264

Skarmory Squadron

It's just how the game functions.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Tiamat
post Jul 22 2010, 12:56 PM
Post #4

everything is happening so much
Group Icon

Member No.: 70

Active Squad

Most pokemon lay eggs, possibly including humans (I like to think that humans lay eggs in the Pokeworld, what can I say? awesome.gif). The only pokemon proven to not lay eggs is Mew, as they say she gave birth to Mewtwo in RGBY, and i've never seen that terminology used for egg-layers.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Bronze Charizard
post Jul 22 2010, 01:04 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Hot Springs Gym

Lol I didnt think anybody would vote for the third option...it was pretty much a joke...

"Honey, do we want this kid?"
"Nah, just drop the egg off the roof."

Explains why there's no abortion clinics in the pokemon world.

--------------------

Refresh to see another one of my favorites! I currently have 7 out of 17 types drawn...

+Quote Post

Da Man
post Jul 23 2010, 05:26 PM
Post #6

Azn persuazn
Group Icon

Member No.: 104 785

In Game

Showing an egg hatch rather than watching a Pokemon give birth is probably much safer for the audience this game is aimed at.... especially when your going for hot Skitty on Wailord action!

--------------------
Proud to be Asian.
+Quote Post

Bronze Charizard
post Jul 24 2010, 11:21 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

Hot Springs Gym

True...but they couldve did what some other games did and not show it at all.

I feel sorry for the poor skitty that has to give birth to a wailmer. But then again, if she didnt get smashed by her wailord mate, she can handle anything.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Bug Catcher Jax
post Jul 28 2010, 02:11 PM
Post #8

Alolan Champion
Group Icon

Member No.: 4 107

Active Squad

QUOTE(Ruby Charizard @ Jul 24 2010, 12:21 PM) *
True...but they couldve did what some other games did and not show it at all.

I feel sorry for the poor skitty that has to give birth to a wailmer. But then again, if she didnt get smashed by her wailord mate, she can handle anything.

Who says the Wailord is on top? yourmove.gif

Anyways, I don't think Pokemon "mate" in the traditional sense. I think that their energies or whatnot come together when in a daycare (why a daycare? who knows) to form or grow an egg. So they all "lay" eggs.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Bronze Charizard
post Jul 30 2010, 12:18 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Hot Springs Gym

If their energies come together only in daycare, how do you explain wild populations?

Anyway, Tiamat got me thinking...
In the Pokemon World, all multicellular beings reproduce by laying eggs of some sort. (Seeds of plants and spores of fungi count as eggs.) The only mammals that exist are monotremes. Even humans, who give birth to live young on other planets, lay eggs.

The human egg group is generally considered to be unable to breed with other egg groups. The elusive creatures known as pokemorphs have led some to believe otherwise, but the existence of pokemorphs has yet to be confirmed...

There is only one species known to science that belongs in the human egg group: Homo sapiens. The creature is bipedial, and not as furry as other mammals. Most of the hair is on the top of the head; the hair everywhere else is so thin that the skin shows through. Skin color can be anywhere from creamy white to brown. The front paws are extremely versatile, able to grasp objects as small as a thorn. The hind paws are useless for carrying things, so their only purpose is movement. Males tend to be larger and bulkier than females. Adults grow to around 5 or 6 feet tall, and reach weights in the 100 pound range.

Humans are very intelligent. In fact, the high intelligence is the reason the species has survived so long. They have no sharp claws. They can't outrun enemies. And they can't breathe fire, produce poison, wield electricity, etc. But they can invent tools to do those things and more. Notable examples are weapons(to replace sharp claws) and vehicles(to remedy the lack of speed). They are also quite social, living in large groups.

Females go into heat once a month, but there are no obvious changes in behavior or appearance during this time, making the breeding process more "hit and miss" than that of other creatures. However, this is actually a good thing. Couples end up developing a strong bond, which helps in the long run; especially while raising onery offspring.

Eggs are the size of a football, and are laid about 2 days after conception. Most of the time, the clutch consists of a single egg, but twins or triplets are possible. Eggshells are the same color as the young's skin will be. The embryo develops for 9 months before kicking the shell open. Newborns are tiny and helpless, requiring the care of both parents. The father can't produce milk of course, but that doesn't mean he's not important. Studies have shown that young humans who grow up without a father present are more likely to commit crimes and generally become a burden to society.

Young learn to walk and talk, and start to grow teeth, around the age of 1 year. After that, growth is rapid. The baby teeth begin to fall out and be replaced by permanent teeth around the age of 6 years. Around the age of 13 years, sexual maturity is reached; but most individuals don't breed until around the age of 20 years. Humans are considered elderly around the age of 50 or 60 years. The average life span is around 80 years.

Yeah. That's on my deviantart account going into a group about pokemon biology. Comments?

This post has been edited by Ruby Charizard: Jul 30 2010, 12:20 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Shadow Fennekin
post Jun 11 2011, 07:31 AM
Post #10

Elite Four
Group Icon

Member No.: 14 137

Platinum team

It`s probably for coding

--------------------
+Quote Post

lorks
post Aug 21 2012, 06:55 AM
Post #11

Faberry
Group Icon

Member No.: 72 645

Shinies

applying terms from our universe to the pokemon universe makes no sense. you can't compare. there might not be 'mammals' by our definition in the pokemon world.
the technical reason would be because of the breeding system & simplicity (and wanting players to work harder to breed pokemon, as with eggs they have to carry it with them), but also the mystique behind people never seeing a pokemon lay an egg. if they gave birth, people would have to be there to help.

--------------------
i always click back

--

+Quote Post

wolvenlied
post Jan 13 2013, 01:46 PM
Post #12

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 181 096

Pyromania

I'd say main reason from a programming perspective: too much coding.

Biological perspective monotremes. I actually thought they were mammals when I was younger because of kangaskhan having a baby in her pouch.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Miphas Grace
post Mar 3 2013, 11:13 AM
Post #13

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 78 447

Rest In Peace

It's just that it makes more sense to have all Pokemon lay eggs, I mean sure Pikachu, Skitty, and Eevee are based on mammals, but it would be a little disturbing for younger players to see the Pokemon give a live birth, don't you think?

--------------------
I love this~

Team To Finish (click to show)

Shiny Spoils (click to show)

Pokemon I Adopted (click to show)

nothing to worry about (click to show)
+Quote Post

Dat Geechy Pie
post May 29 2017, 06:55 AM
Post #14

Local Pokemon Go player
Group Icon

Member No.: 238 846

FlameRaiderz

QUOTE(Rin The Dark Lover @ Mar 4 2013, 12:13 AM) *
It's just that it makes more sense to have all Pokemon lay eggs, I mean sure Pikachu, Skitty, and Eevee are based on mammals, but it would be a little disturbing for younger players to see the Pokemon give a live birth, don't you think?

yeah, I guess that's the reason why. Not very appropriate for a kids game, and for simplicity's sake.

EDIT: woops, didn't see how old this post was.

This post has been edited by Dat Geechy Pie: May 29 2017, 06:56 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Azuras
post Dec 15 2018, 08:59 AM
Post #15

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 44 514

Explorers~

I believe that if you want to judge everything going on in the pokemon world based on the way chemistry and physics work here, you're gonna hit a brick wall.

Instead, if you choose a more "energy based" approach, it works better.

In the pokemon world, you can get electrocuted again and again without dying (both humans and 'mons).
You can also get burned, scalded, spiked, venoshocked etc. without dying.

Fire-breathing creatures even have live flames on their bodies yet roam free and all, but you don't really hear of generalised wildfires. Why is so? Are their flames cold? Is Celebi literally stepping in to stop 10000 wildfires everyday in different corners of the world, and make plants regrow?

I would say their fires are, probably, colder. It is fire, but much less potent than the fire in our world. If you think about it, we also have cold fires being created naturally from the ground in specific areas. A more energy molecule based type of fire, that can be fueled by and is compatible with naturally generated fires or magma (generated without the intrusion of a pokemon). But real fire and magma would remain more energetically dense and more potent. If pokemons were able to generate the real physically dense element, they would remodel the planet and geography according to their wish, controlling rain, thunder, magma etc. We have the legendaries for that. And this is why they are legendaries. They merely inhabit those spaces and grew big enough and old enough to control them, but ENERGY and space and time were there before them, and they remain creatures of... these elements they are exposed to.

This also leads us to another point: they usually have to use OBJECTmons like Magneton to power up or protect Plants, and don't go to mammalian looking creatures and the such. Obviously they do that to avoid reminding people of animal slavery on tv, unless the animal wants to do it with a smile on their face and their trainers are there. I like my energy theory more (of course I do lel).

I would say thus that in the pokemon world the energy pokemons generate somehow abides slightly different rules and is not actually THAT POTENT in the physical plane, though it can burn or freeze badly if the intention dictates it, probably moreso if it's a wild pokemon living with the natural elements. Charizards can definitely set forests on fire, but they are all very special creatures that understand not only human speech and intentions, but also the relationship between everything, so there is something keeping them from manifesting the energy to create BURNING fire as we know it. Or freezing ice. Or electricity.

This sounds weird but to me is intriguing; would nonetheless be a very easy rule to generally apply and get consistent results as far as SF/parallel universes logic goes.

The hard part is determining how physical 'mon such as Haxorus would ever be let to use moves such as Guillotine. I can't imagine anything else but blood and guts exploding from the unlucky opponent that goes too close and is cut in half by a tilted Iron Head. How could this pokemon NOT split something else in two? Only by assuming that even the physical moves carry elemental energy power rather than a physical one, on a level that does not hurt the physical body, but instead depletes the other pokemon of its own capacity and energy to deal with the intensity it's exposed to.

So instead of being slit in half by a Haxorus, a potential opponent merely remains in one piece but faints, tired like hell, brain/system can't cope due to Haxorus' Guillotine carrying heavy energy that could nonetheless slit it in half in a life-death situation, mind goes blank, spoof. A mechanism created by pokemons to not bring an apocalypse upon themselves or a very painful world, while still remaining able to control elements. Like animals in the wild show off their size and power before actually getting into fights (usually when one of the opponents refuse to back off). But for mons, they use and are mostly limited to energy, which carries enough power in itself to be treated as the real thing.

In tremendously difficult situations I assume pokemon can generate real elemental power, and especially with claws, beaks, spikes, sticky webs etc., but producing that kind of material energy let us say leaves them on the verge of death as well as their opponent or maybe not depending on how they dodge or react to the elemental energy a move carries and their affinity (resistance or sensibility) to it.

It hurts me to think how a Meganium, venusaur or Sceptile could have their leaves/flowers ripped or burned so easily. There must be something else about them that makes them very different from our easy-to-rip-or-walk-on flowers, maybe they are not part of their bodies in the first place and it's 2 organisms helping each other like coral skeletons and plankton producing energy for them, or like Slowbro; maybe it's their skin looking like that for camouflage, but you know, for cartoonish simplicity's sake...

Humans, just like 'mons, are sensitive to both the elements and the less-physically-elemental energies created by 'mons, but they're more normal than the "Normal"-types, meaning they don't have a specific elemental sensibility like certain pokemon do (like psychic has to dark). Or maybe, in the pokemon universe... humans do too!

That still makes me wonder how the f. would anything resist a Mega Salamence Outrage or Hyper Beam. That thing pokes holes through rocks. I would also be curious how "Steel" type pokemons work. They could only work by assuming they have an elemental affinity to steel and chemically they can pick up, concentrate and deposit metal stuff in themselves, without being necessarily made of steel.

Quite obviously, they would look slightly more real than their cartoonish variant, so for simplicity purposes, they are being represented as less or more simple than they really are. Think about how we draw cartoon lion and animals, they look nothing like the real thing unless you get a really good artist to depict all the hairs, muscle details and veins.

All that being said, reproduction happens somewhat similarly. Maybe they still mount each other and things for the nice feelings' sake, but otherwise only energy/personality compatibility is needed to fecund an egg. This would explain how Skitty would ever be able to reproduce with Wailord. And laying eggs is apparently less "dirty"/troublesome that live birth (no blood, placenta, head of the pokemon wrapping around the cordon and suffocating etc).

This energy reliance would explain why dark, ghost and psychic powers, as well as levitation, real-time regeneration, barriers, etc. are so easily accepted and normalised in the pokemon world.

I came up with this concept on my own. Feel free to quote me but please tell me if so. Thanks wink.gif

This post has been edited by Azuras: Dec 15 2018, 09:43 AM

--------------------

Cure for boredom (click to show)

+Quote Post

Spades Slick
post Jan 2 2019, 06:16 AM
Post #16

I think you underestimate the depth of my pettiness
Group Icon

Member No.: 57 762

bluh bluh huge bitch

Azuras, while your post was indeed informative and germane to the conversation, please note that the date of the last post was over a year ago, and the original author hasn't been on the site since 2011. This is a note to anyone else who wants to contribute to this topic, as I see that a few people have made posts well after a year since the previous one. No matter how interesting it might be, necroposting in a topic is discouraged here.

I'm closing this.

--------------------
[align=center]add me for daily clicks [735/1000]

~:* I love my wife Jen *:~
|

READ THE HELP PAGE OR I WILL STAB YOU

WiiU: drgdgrana (Sm4sh) | 3DS: 1204-0469-8787 | PSN: ghostscreamer[/align]
+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:27 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.