Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Remove the flash ads!, LAG.
KamiKazeKenji
post Oct 5 2010, 05:51 AM
Post #1

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 2 830

Active Squad

I'm completely fine with ads just as long as they're simple images. But when they're flash ads that LAG the browser for SEVERAL SECONDS, it is unacceptable, and I WILL block them no matter what. For the good of both of us, please remove the laggy flash ads.

That or think of some other way to fund the site (there are plenty). happy.gif

On another note, someone please give me some good reasons (other than to remove ads) to drop $20 on GPX+.

--------------------
Elegant as the Wind,
Silent as a Forest,
Mysterious as the Ocean,
Fierce as Fire,
Immovable as a Mountain,
Righteous as the Light,
I am... KamiKazeKenji!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Oracle
post Oct 5 2010, 05:58 AM
Post #2

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 95 880

These will pwn you

On another note, someone please give me some good reasons (other than to remove ads) to drop $20 on GPX+.

A:
A number of site mechanics, including maturity growth, as well as the rates at which you find certain Pokemon are going to be reworked. At the end, users with the donor status, as well as users who don't block advertisements will have increased maturity rates on their Pokemon, as well as priority access to rarer Pokemon. There will be no differences between the donors and non-donors however, as to not disadvantage younger members who might not have the means to send money online in the first place.

Just to make it clear, so that there's no confusion, donors will have no benefits over regular, unrestricted members in any way, other than the lack of advertisements, and maybe a fancy group icon. In terms of gameplay, it'll all be the exact same as normal members.

So tl;dr: no advertisements for donors, and benefits for the users who do view the advertisements

--------------------

+Quote Post

Darien
post Oct 5 2010, 06:31 AM
Post #3

Does this smell like chloroform to you?
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 33 046

Active Squad

I personally donated to the site (And will continue to do so when I can) so I can enjoy GPX for free (aka not becoming a pay to play site), being able to toggle ads on and off is just a bonus. And I'll admit, I have ads not showing but mainly because most of the resolutions I use would require me to scroll down every time I would want to interact with a Pokemon/egg. If it wasn't for that then I'd have the awesome as hell Valentacool or Octillerage banners up for shits and giggles. And probably the ads in case there's something that might pop up I'd been interested in, unlikely, but still possible. When I did/occasionally do have ads displayed, they wouldn't freeze/lag my browser at all from what I could see, then again not everyone's pc/browser is the same so this isn't a valid argument in the least.

Would you be able to throw some ideas out there how the site could receive more funds? I know the staff would love to hear, as well myself, if there's any slight possibility to remove ads while having a constant flow of money to support the site.

--------------------

~Growing older is inevitable - growing up is optional~
+Quote Post

Marshtomp2
post Oct 5 2010, 06:35 AM
Post #4

TEEHEE
Group Icon

Member No.: 113 046

EMPTY!FOOSH!

There is another site which is filled uo with flashing add-ons.It's called "ROM-freaks"

--------------------

Banners by Cycloneblaze

My livestream gaming channel
+Quote Post

KamiKazeKenji
post Oct 5 2010, 02:15 PM
Post #5

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Darien @ Oct 5 2010, 04:31 AM) *
Would you be able to throw some ideas out there how the site could receive more funds? I know the staff would love to hear, as well myself, if there's any slight possibility to remove ads while having a constant flow of money to support the site.

Oh man, I wasn't expecting anyone to put me on the spot about that... o_O

Hmm... Well for starters, a method that does not get in the way of the enjoyability/playability of the game is better. I dislike how the the current method puts a bold line between the donors and the ad-blockers. It's not always the ad blocker's fault that they block the ads; some people have no choice as they only have access to a computer that requires it to be on, and some people (like me) have old machines that can't handle the excessive amounts of flash. I get the feeling that GPX+ is forcing the ads on me.

Why not "donate and you'll benefit" instead of "donate or you'll suffer"?

I'm thinking of something like... Novelty/legendary Pokemon that can be obtained only by donors. The Pokemon in question would not count toward any achievements, i.e. does not have any benefits other than looking awesome. Or maybe some sort of items/Pokemon that would be sent to a random number of users when obtained through donating? Example: A user donates $10. Chooses the "random items/pokemon" option. A random number of random users (or maybe all users), including the donor, would get the items/pokemon.

Argh, I'm usually against "noticeable" forms of funding. And here I am suggesting them. lol.gif

--------------------
Elegant as the Wind,
Silent as a Forest,
Mysterious as the Ocean,
Fierce as Fire,
Immovable as a Mountain,
Righteous as the Light,
I am... KamiKazeKenji!
+Quote Post

ShrapnelStars
post Oct 5 2010, 02:29 PM
Post #6

Well, I wish I'd wished you well
Group Icon

Member No.: 4 143

Let Us In

I don't know if it counts as Ad-Blocking, but there's a FF add-on called Flashblock, which will allow regular ads, but block animated Flash ones. In their place, there will be the outline of the Flash item's space with the Flash logo on it. Click the flash logo, and you can view whatever is behind it (youtube videos, site content, etc.) On refresh, it'll re-block, but you'll always have the option to view whatever it is.

--------------------
+Quote Post

KamiKazeKenji
post Oct 5 2010, 02:38 PM
Post #7

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Blak99Psy @ Oct 5 2010, 12:29 PM) *
I don't know if it counts as Ad-Blocking, but there's a FF add-on called Flashblock, which will allow regular ads, but block animated Flash ones. In their place, there will be the outline of the Flash item's space with the Flash logo on it. Click the flash logo, and you can view whatever is behind it (youtube videos, site content, etc.) On refresh, it'll re-block, but you'll always have the option to view whatever it is.

Eh, I already tried flashblock. Didn't like it.

--------------------
Elegant as the Wind,
Silent as a Forest,
Mysterious as the Ocean,
Fierce as Fire,
Immovable as a Mountain,
Righteous as the Light,
I am... KamiKazeKenji!
+Quote Post

Naixatloz
post Oct 5 2010, 09:09 PM
Post #8

A-set, you bet!
Group Icon

Member No.: 56 857

QUOTE(KamiKazeKenji @ Oct 5 2010, 02:15 PM) *

I'm thinking of something like... Novelty/legendary Pokemon that can be obtained only by donors. The Pokemon in question would not count toward any achievements, i.e. does not have any benefits other than looking awesome. Or maybe some sort of items/Pokemon that would be sent to a random number of users when obtained through donating? Example: A user donates $10. Chooses the "random items/pokemon" option. A random number of random users (or maybe all users), including the donor, would get the items/pokemon.

Argh, I'm usually against "noticeable" forms of funding. And here I am suggesting them. lol.gif

Zerxer or BB (I forget which one) stated that they DO NOT want donor-only items/Pokemon.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Darien
post Oct 5 2010, 10:08 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Erzsebet Bathory @ Oct 5 2010, 09:09 PM) *
QUOTE(KamiKazeKenji @ Oct 5 2010, 02:15 PM) *

Zerxer or BB (I forget which one) stated that they DO NOT want donor-only items/Pokemon.

I was just about to say this XD

KamiKazeKenji: I understand where you're coming from, believe me. However, this isn't the site's fault either and honestly it's more the fault of the user rather than the site. The Site can't control the settings of your browser/pc to cause problems loading ads on the site. And to be blunt, if you're intentionally using a browser that's using an ad blocker and you can't control it (Or set it to where ads aren't blocked for GPX) then perhaps going to GPX isn't the best idea at that time. The Staff have already been lax with the system to let a few ads being blocked/not loading slide in case of an accident. Not pointing fingers here, but there's only so much the Staff can do, which isn't a whole lot in the situations.

The "donate and you'll benefit" process won't look good for most of the site, "Why should users who pay get better/more things compared to those that can't and don't have the means to spend $20 on pixels?" doesn't really look too good. But in a sense, we already get benefits, we have the option to not be shown ads as well not be penalized, which is enough for me.

The way I see it, it's either ads or a monthly fee to have access to GPX and enjoy it. I can't see a whole lot of users sticking with the site if it goes to "pay to play" and I'm sure others would agree including the staff. This is why we have ads, bills have to be paid somehow and at this time, this is the easiest with the least amount of harm done to Users.

--------------------

+Quote Post

KamiKazeKenji
post Oct 5 2010, 10:41 PM
Post #10

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

So how hard is it for them to simply remove the laggy flash ads?

--------------------
Elegant as the Wind,
Silent as a Forest,
Mysterious as the Ocean,
Fierce as Fire,
Immovable as a Mountain,
Righteous as the Light,
I am... KamiKazeKenji!
+Quote Post

nokrow889
post Oct 5 2010, 11:11 PM
Post #11

what would you do for a Klondike bar?
Group Icon

Member No.: 24 628

Pokemon Pearl

QUOTE(KamiKazeKenji @ Oct 5 2010, 11:41 PM) *
So how hard is it for them to simply remove the laggy flash ads?

actually very hard if they are using google adsense (if i recall when using them for a site of mine that flopped) the flash ad's are almost all they have that actually pay well

--------------------

Vdex
(me and my brother)

Group Banners (click to show)

+Quote Post

FiddleTwix
post Oct 6 2010, 12:54 AM
Post #12

No, this is Patrick
Group Icon

Member No.: 55 445

My faves

Also, GPX doesn't have the right to have such a set-up. They can't charge money for the ability to obtain sprites that rightfully belong to Nintendo and Game Freak.

Maybe for their 100% original sprites but not for legends.

I don't understand why everyone thinks praising donors instead of penalizing ad-blockers is so much better. Either way someone's gonna feel screwed by the system. (Though BB has stated he has no intention of ever making the site P2P or separated donors to F2P, so I don't think we have anything to worry about, I just don't get the rationale.)

--------------------

Like anime reviews, stuff and more stuff? Like western animation and things? I do those things here nom.gif http://fiddletwix.wordpress.com/
+Quote Post

KamiKazeKenji
post Oct 6 2010, 03:00 AM
Post #13

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Bones @ Oct 5 2010, 10:54 PM) *
Also, GPX doesn't have the right to have such a set-up. They can't charge money for the ability to obtain sprites that rightfully belong to Nintendo and Game Freak.

Maybe for their 100% original sprites but not for legends.

I don't understand why everyone thinks praising donors instead of penalizing ad-blockers is so much better. Either way someone's gonna feel screwed by the system. (Though BB has stated he has no intention of ever making the site P2P or separated donors to F2P, so I don't think we have anything to worry about, I just don't get the rationale.)

Ok, you're totally right on all points.

QUOTE(nokrow @ Oct 5 2010, 09:11 PM) *
actually very hard if they are using google adsense (if i recall when using them for a site of mine that flopped) the flash ad's are almost all they have that actually pay well

That's REALLY unfortunate.

---
Why not just NOT penalize people who block ads? Penalizing me for blocking ads won't stop me from blocking them. It just makes me more spiteful.

--------------------
Elegant as the Wind,
Silent as a Forest,
Mysterious as the Ocean,
Fierce as Fire,
Immovable as a Mountain,
Righteous as the Light,
I am... KamiKazeKenji!
+Quote Post

Rofl Copter
post Oct 6 2010, 03:11 AM
Post #14

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 43 628

Sought Shinies

Because, people that either donate or view ads as normal are helping contribute to the site, whereas people that block ads are taking away funds from the site. Therefore, penalization.

Otherwise, everyone would just go back to blocking ads, and the site will either close down or not be up to it's full capacity.

--------------------

Doctor Octopus made this beasty thing. Go check her out!

+Quote Post

FiddleTwix
post Oct 6 2010, 03:14 AM
Post #15

No, this is Patrick
Group Icon

Member No.: 55 445

My faves

QUOTE(KamiKazeKenji @ Oct 6 2010, 04:00 AM) *
Why not just NOT penalize people who block ads? Penalizing me for blocking ads won't stop me from blocking them. It just makes me more spiteful.

Because ads are BB's main way of supporting the servers. So he's doing this to discourage use of ad-blockers so he can get the money so he can support the servers.

There may be some people unaffected in their blocker ways by this arrangement, but I've seen quite a few people turning off ad-blocks/asking how to turn off ad-block in it's entirety or for GPX at least so it does work. No arrangement would really stop all people from blocking. Unless it was like you block - No play GPX. Which would be a little outrageous.

Not only would not penalizing ad-blockers bring all the blocks back, but then donors would have no reason to donate. Well, of course some would donate out of kindness, but their main add-on is the ability to block ads without being penalized. If ad-blockers don't get penalized anymore, why donate $20 when you can turn it back on?

So, by not penalizing blockers, he'd lose money off ads due to influx of blockers and he'd lose money due to low incentive to donate.

--------------------

Like anime reviews, stuff and more stuff? Like western animation and things? I do those things here nom.gif http://fiddletwix.wordpress.com/
+Quote Post

Big Bidoof
post Oct 6 2010, 03:17 AM
Post #16

Watching YOU
Group Icon

Group: Root Administrators
Member No.: 1

Active Squad

QUOTE(KamiKazeKenji @ Oct 6 2010, 04:00 AM) *

You may not feel that way, but once upon a time there were no penalties, and about 70% of people blocked ads. Now, it varies from 10-25%, yup yup.

--------------------
"Java is to JavaScript as ham is to hamster."

+Quote Post

KamiKazeKenji
post Oct 6 2010, 03:33 AM
Post #17

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

I don't really know what it is with me, but I just don't like it when free things get involved with money. Perhaps I shall stop whining and get $20 to donate...

In any case, best wishes to the future of GPX+. I hope there will be a day when there will be nothing to gripe about. I just KNOW there is SOME way to fund the site without hurting or inconveniencing anyone in the process.

Well whatever it is, it's beyond my imagination. For now. happy.gif

--------------------
Elegant as the Wind,
Silent as a Forest,
Mysterious as the Ocean,
Fierce as Fire,
Immovable as a Mountain,
Righteous as the Light,
I am... KamiKazeKenji!
+Quote Post

Galahawk
post Oct 6 2010, 06:28 AM
Post #18

Legendary Dragon Empress
Group Icon

Member No.: 21 238

Best team ever

QUOTE(KamiKazeKenji @ Oct 5 2010, 03:15 PM) *

Because if they gave legends and novelties to those who donate, they'd be selling the sprites, which are copyrighted material. Which may I remind you IS against the law. Also that would be putting a HUGE margin between donors and non-donors because if there's certain things ONLY donors could obtain, that wouldn't be fair to younger users who don't have the means to pay for something like that.

There's virtually no margin as it stands because the ONLY benefit they're getting is to block ads for an indefinite amount of time.
And in reference to your last post, people will ALWAYS gripe. It's inevitable because some people just don't appreciate a good thing when they see it.

This post has been edited by Galahawk: Oct 6 2010, 06:32 AM

--------------------
[align=center]
- Click Latias for my deviantART | Click Latios for my Tumblr -

[spoiler=Shinies + Fat meeps]
(Shinies are not in chronological order. I stopped caring.)[/spoiler][/align]
+Quote Post

Darien
post Oct 6 2010, 07:15 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

Active Squad

Just to clarify Galahawk, they could sell Novelties if they wanted, as they're to creations of GPX and friends, not Nintendo/Gamefreak/anyone else legally involved. Nitpicking I know, I just didn't want people to be under the wrong impression about the site being able to sell Novelties ^^;;

--------------------

+Quote Post

Amal
post Oct 6 2010, 07:36 PM
Post #20

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 5 174

Battle Roster

Sorry to bust into your thread and potentially derail it - but with regards to donating to the site, everyone seems to have the wrong idea about it.

You should donate to keep the site free and up, not because you want something, number one.

Number two, if donors do get something, people shouldn't hate on it because they're not getting the same thing. It shouldn't be, "Wow that person is getting something I'm not because they paid RL money? Lame." It should be, "Wow, it's cool of that person to help out the site by donating money. This way I can keep paying it for free!"

So. Just sayin'. If you want to drop the cash like some of us have, you have the benefit of no ads (which I've enjoyed) and knowing that you're helping the site keep going. Once I'm not swamped with bills, I plan on donating again myself.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th June 2024 - 09:56 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.