Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Legendary Pokemon and RPs, When is it appropriate?
Cube
post Jul 31 2009, 09:32 PM
Post #1

Factory Head
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 20 693

PANE Party

Alright, so I'm a bit curious about this...

Legendary Pokemon, they're a major aspect of the Pokemon Franchise. Obviously no PC can capture a legendary Pokemon. That would never be allowed.

But in the anime and manga, Legendary Pokemon have been encountered as parts of special story lines.

Here are some generic scenarios I'd like to evaluate.

1.) The Sighting:

Happens quite frequently in the anime and manga. A trainer sees a legendary, and either doesn't recognize it, or attempts to catch it. This frequently leads to a later, unrelated adventure.

Examples: Trainer sees a flying legendary over head, trainer notices a pokemon such as Mew lurking in the grass, which promptly disappears.

2.) The Encounter:

A plot occurs that is both instigated by, and revolves around a legendary Pokemon.

Examples: A Darkrai causes nightmares for a small town, trainers fight to write their wish on a sleeping Jirachi for it's upcoming awakening. Obviously major pokemon like Arceus wouldn't show up in a plot like this. Too much overkill.

3.) The Protection:
Trainers fight to protect a legendary Pokemon from a villainous organization (read: Team Deception)

Examples: Transferring a Manaphy egg from one town to another, protecting a Lugia and it's young from capture.

4.) The Epic

More of an event RP than anything else, that would most definitely require mod permission. This can be anything short of capture really.

Examples: Villain clones a Shadow Mewtwo, trainers struggle to purify it. Trainers get sucked into the Distortion world and have to escape. Villain attempts to hijack Dialga to rewrite Furoh's history, trainers attempt to stop him with the help of a friendly Celebi.

5.) The Illusion

An RP that looks like it involves a Legend, when in reality it's really a robot, or a mirage, or something:

Examples: Getting trapped in a Battle Simulator, Encountering robot or mirage pokemon in a lab.

6.) The Resolution
Sort of like the Sighting, an RP in which a legendary appears briefly, does something, and leaves.

Examples: Summoning Celebi to a shrine with a Time Flute. The aforementioned Jirachi selecting a wish to grant. (Something minor, naturally).

Obviously, every single one of these requires mod approval, and Master Houndoom said that when his group tried an RP with Celebi it caused problems.

The Epic would have to be like, a massive crossover mod run RP event.

The sighting and the illusion I could see. The Encounter, Protection, and Resolution... maybe.

And no one except a mod can make an Epic. Otherwise everyone would be running into Arceus all the time.

And while we're at it, why not limit which legendaries you encounter?

Like, the occasional Mew, or a legendary beast, or Lat@s, okay with approval.

Arceus, Dragon Trio, etc, not so much.

So I wanted a mod's opinion on this, when it would be appropriate, etc.

This post has been edited by Cube: Aug 1 2009, 01:16 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Troy Bolton
post Aug 1 2009, 01:55 AM
Post #2

Bet On Me
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 282

Active Squad

QUOTE(CubeB @ Jul 31 2009, 10:32 PM) *
1.) The Sighting:

Happens quite frequently in the anime and manga. A trainer sees a legendary, and either doesn't recognize it, or attempts to catch it. This frequently leads to a later, unrelated adventure.

Examples: Trainer sees a flying legendary over head, trainer notices a pokemon such as Mew lurking in the grass, which promptly disappears.

Probably the only one one could manage without moderator permission, as long as the sighting itself isn't the main point of the roleplay itself.

2.) The Encounter:

A plot occurs that is both instigated by, and revolves around a legendary Pokemon.

Examples: A Darkrai causes nightmares for a small town, trainers fight to write their wish on a sleeping Jirachi for it's upcoming awakening. Obviously major pokemon like Arceus wouldn't show up in a plot like this. Too much overkill.

If you played Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, the first series, Jirachi was damn hard to get to. This one would require permission, and a well-thought out beginning, middle, and end.

3.) The Protection:
Trainers fight to protect a legendary Pokemon from a villainous organization (read: Team Deception)

Examples: Transferring a Manaphy egg from one town to another, protecting a Lugia and it's young from capture.

I'm cool with this one, as long as the trainer doesn't turn around: "Now that you're weakened, you're all mine, Celebi! Kekekek!"

4.) The Epic

More of an event RP than anything else, that would most definitely require mod permission. This can be anything short of capture really.

Examples: Villain clones a Shadow Mewtwo, trainers struggle to purify it. Trainers get sucked into the Distortion world and have to escape. Villain attempts to hijack Dialga to rewrite Furoh's history, trainers attempt to stop him with the help of a friendly Celebi.

Shadow Mewtwo? B-but...that'd be really hard to beat! noes.gif XD002, anyone? Yeah, definitely mod-permission zone, maybe even an alternative prize to an RP Contest.

5.) The Illusion

An RP that looks like it involves a Legend, when in reality it's really a robot, or a mirage, or something:

Examples: Getting trapped in a Battle Simulator, Encountering robot or mirage pokemon in a lab.

I'm okay with this. Woodrow has 'fought' with legendary Pokemon through Battle Sims, but since robots =/= reality, the legendary would not react like its real counterpart would, being...you know, a robot.

6.) The Resolution
Sort of like the Sighting, an RP in which a legendary appears briefly, does something, and leaves.

Examples: Summoning Celebi to a shrine with a Time Flute. The aforementioned Jirachi selecting a wish to grant. (Something minor, naturally).

Obviously, every single one of these requires mod approval, and Master Houndoom said that when his group tried an RP with Celebi it caused problems. Of course, now they can go ahead and DO AS THEY PLEASE, having two moderators. Maybe I should make Webby one? :P

The Epic would have to be like, a massive crossover mod run RP event.

The sighting and the illusion I could see. The Encounter, Protection, and Resolution... maybe.

And no one except a mod can make an Epic. Otherwise everyone would be running into Arceus all the time.

And while we're at it, why not limit which legendarily you encounter?

Like, the occasional Mew, or a legendary beast, or Lat@s, okay with approval.

Arceus, Dragon Trio, etc, not so much. I stared at that for 3 minutes till I figured out the Dragon Trio was Sinnoh. >_>

So I wanted a mod's opinion on this, when it would be appropriate, etc.

You could -possibly- eke out the Sighting or Illusion without moderator permission, though it's still far better to ask. If my bolded comments didn't help, ask away.

--------------------
[align=center]
[/align]
+Quote Post

Master Houndoom
post Aug 1 2009, 02:27 AM
Post #3

Team Rogue: Houndoom
Group Icon

Member No.: 804

Uprising Mod

QUOTE(Bill Nye @ Aug 1 2009, 01:55 AM) *
1.) The Sighting:
Obviously, every single one of these requires mod approval, and Master Houndoom said that when his group tried an RP with Celebi it caused problems. Of course, now they can go ahead and DO AS THEY PLEASE, having two moderators. Maybe I should make Webby one? :P

I actually made it a point to tell CubeB that this had been frowned upon, and not to gloat that I had the right to do it now. I would still ask you, in the future, if anything like this was planned :P!!!

--------------------
[align=center]Uprising Mod

||
Jaima Kuonji and Meiko Omura||Branwys Muphenz
[spoiler=Jaima's Gym Badges][/spoiler]
PANE

||
Jay Lange||Olivia Prewitt
Uprising

As of January 29, 2010, at approximately 7:50am CST, 2gamers helped me complete my pokedex!

:houndoom: I claim Houndoom! :houndoom: [/align]
+Quote Post

Cube
post Aug 1 2009, 02:37 AM
Post #4

Factory Head
Group Icon

PANE Party

Of course it would be hard to beat! It's a Shadow Mewtwo! It would require liberal application of the power of friendship!

And maybe a CareBearStare. Is there a TM for that?

But yeah, obviously mod permission is required for pretty much everything.

Also, in the Jirachi movie, there was a carnival surrounding Jirachi's awakening, and Jirachi was a rock. (Which would make catching it useless, since... you know... it's a rock.)
...Though considering what happened in that movie, that would slide into the "epic" category.

I used bad examples.

But yes, Mod Approval.

Just checking. sweat.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

Troy Bolton
post Aug 1 2009, 03:03 AM
Post #5

Bet On Me
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 282

Active Squad

QUOTE(Master Houndoom @ Aug 1 2009, 03:27 AM) *
1.) The Sighting:

I actually made it a point to tell CubeB that this had been frowned upon, and not to gloat that I had the right to do it now. I would still ask you, in the future, if anything like this was planned :P!!!

'Twas merely my little joke. I know you would. But no objections to my points, right?

--------------------
[align=center]
[/align]
+Quote Post

Master Houndoom
post Aug 1 2009, 08:55 AM
Post #6

Team Rogue: Houndoom
Group Icon

Member No.: 804

Uprising Mod

QUOTE(Bill Nye @ Aug 1 2009, 03:03 AM) *
QUOTE(Master Houndoom @ Aug 1 2009, 03:27 AM) *
1.) The Sighting:

'Twas merely my little joke. I know you would. But no objections to my points, right?

None whatsoever. And I figured it was a joke, but I was too tired to remember to ask "Wanna know how I got these scars..?"

--------------------
[align=center]Uprising Mod

||
Jaima Kuonji and Meiko Omura||Branwys Muphenz
[spoiler=Jaima's Gym Badges][/spoiler]
PANE

||
Jay Lange||Olivia Prewitt
Uprising

As of January 29, 2010, at approximately 7:50am CST, 2gamers helped me complete my pokedex!

:houndoom: I claim Houndoom! :houndoom: [/align]
+Quote Post

Living Arrow
post Aug 1 2009, 12:59 PM
Post #7

Team Rogue: Pidgeotto
Group Icon

Group: RP Moderators
Member No.: 814

PANE: Darryn Kellor

1.) The Sighting:

*Technically* I wasn't a part of the whole Celebi scandal :p (Plans a Suicune-link RP)

And I thought it was just the telepathy and time travel that was the issue in "Return of the Lost" but the use of Celebi herself was actually commended as I recall...

Anywho, thanks to Cube for the summary. It was very useful and would probably clear things up for new players. I suggest it gets transcribed into the Rules and Information section for safe keeping!

--------------------
Darryn Kellor ~ ~ PANE Moderator ~ ~ Lori Pardare
PANE Characters (click to show)
LA's Plays (click to show)

Unovalocke (click to show)
+Quote Post

Cube
post Aug 1 2009, 01:13 PM
Post #8

Factory Head
Group Icon

PANE Party

QUOTE(Living Arrow @ Aug 1 2009, 01:59 PM) *
1.) The Sighting:

*Technically* I wasn't a part of the whole Celebi scandal :p (Plans a Suicune-link RP)

And I thought it was just the telepathy and time travel that was the issue in "Return of the Lost" but the use of Celebi herself was actually commended as I recall...

Anywho, thanks to Cube for the summary. It was very useful and would probably clear things up for new players. I suggest it gets transcribed into the Rules and Information section for safe keeping!

Return of the Lost Grade (click to show)

I think the issue wasn't that Celebi appeared, but rather what happened as a result of it's appearance. (Crazy time travel adventure go!)

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 09:35 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.