Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
9 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Atheists
Ryuko
post Nov 22 2010, 05:52 AM
Post #61

Scarlet
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 83 356

Heaven's Wheel

QUOTE(Yumie @ Nov 22 2010, 01:41 AM) *
QUOTE(CrowFeather @ Nov 21 2010, 06:34 AM) *
QUOTE(StrawberryLoveIntervention @ Nov 21 2010, 02:26 AM) *
QUOTE(CrowFeather @ Nov 20 2010, 01:43 AM) *
Everyone is evil inside

It's impossible to know this unless one knows the thoughts and feelings of every single person.

The same applies to almost every "everyone is x ".

Can you prove that everyone is truly good?

I dont think it is necessarily saying that everyone is necessarily good, just that not everyone is not necessarily evil. I don't think I'm evil, as I do make attempts to help others as well as the environment (which any religion/belief could do). Though, I am not completely good, as I have done selfish things and have a bad habit for hogging large amounts of candy. But, hogging candy isn't exactly evil. It's not like I'm thinking "Oh! Now those kids in Africa won't be happy, as I have all of their candy!" Other people do good things as well: its not like they have this flawless facade they are able to put on and trick anyone.
QUOTE(StrawberryLoveIntervention @ Nov 22 2010, 02:42 AM) *
What Yumie said. Not everyone is good, but not everyone is evil. Also, not everyone is either.

Everyone has a bad personality trait or two, but that doesn't make someone evil.

Well, how would you two describe someone as being 'evil' or 'bad'?

--------------------

"Violence, Lust and Betrayal"
And so is the Golden City blackened with each step you take in my Hall. Marvel at perfection, for it is fleeting.
You have brought Sin to Heaven and doom upon all the world.
-Threnodies 8:13

signature image too large; removed

~ Raven
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

PinkiePie
post Nov 22 2010, 10:02 AM
Post #62

Sacred Guardian of the Ice-type
Group Icon

Member No.: 11 138

Cold as Ice

QUOTE(PikaDiety @ Nov 21 2010, 10:29 PM) *
That's why I'm not Christian. I hate the reward system. It makes God look like a big time company that's always doing those buy one, get one free things. "Believe in me or burn for eternity!" Seriously? If that's how God is, I'd rather be an atheist. (Even though I'm pagan.xD) If the only way to get to heaven is believe in god, then he isn't a loving god. Because someone can be an atheist and a wonderful person. But because of the fact the fact that they don't believe in god, they'll go to hell? While someone can be a horrible, cruel, heartless person and go to heaven just because they believe in god? I wouldn't want a god like that.

(http://isavedmegaton.tumblr.com/post/1481229229/in-response-to-the-concept-that-morality-and-god) I thought that was relevant to what I was saying.

Also, I don't think the Bible is a reliable source at all. Mainly because it was written by men, no matter how you spin it. God never actually wrote the Bible. He never came down to earth to write the Bible. Even if he did, it's been translated so many times it's lost it's original perfect meaning. And since men are flawed and no man is perfect, you can't say the Bible is perfect, because it was written by men.
And I could bring up all of it's contradictions, but I need to go to bed, and I don't want to get the link at the moment.

In response to LiteSpeed, Genesis, the book detailing the 2-3000 years before Moses, was not the first book written. It's just the first book in chronological order. Job was the first written. So, obviously, Adam and Eve didn't write Genesis, because their were dead. God inspired Moses to write the first five books of the Bible, or so we believe. I can argue the Bible is a reliable source, because it was written by God-inspired men; I picture God in a corner narrating what to write down to some scholar.

Also, did you know they found the oldest Bible in existence? They compared the text to a 2009 Bible. 99.9% accurate.

--------------------
This is my story series. I'm done posting the second book! Read it!

About me (click to show)
+Quote Post

BarkingChaos
post Nov 22 2010, 11:40 AM
Post #63

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 112 100

Sandshrew Army

They may have been God-inspired men, but they were still human. And humans still tend to either "add" things or exaggerate. I'm not saying everything in the bible is false, I'm just saying that its human nature to exaggerate things.

But thats just me. I respect your opinion

I do believe the accuracy thing though. The bible is such a sacred book that every person who wrote it and translated it would make sure that it stayed accurate.

This post has been edited by BarkAtTheMoon: Nov 22 2010, 11:46 AM
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Nov 22 2010, 11:44 AM
Post #64

I'm in space...space...spacespace
Group Icon

Member No.: 30 281

space team

QUOTE(FancyGranola @ Nov 22 2010, 01:54 AM) *
QUOTE(Reyo @ Nov 21 2010, 09:33 PM) *
We are, but it seems like a lot of the comments have become an attempt to convert people to other religions. Shame that I've had to do it myself to try and respond to the other people who are doing it.

An attempt to convert... That's funny. The guilt is placed on both sides.

You saying that brings my hope for humanity back into existence. clap.gif

QUOTE(Vincent Lance @ Nov 22 2010, 11:02 AM) *
In response to LiteSpeed, Genesis, the book detailing the 2-3000 years before Moses, was not the first book written. It's just the first book in chronological order. Job was the first written. So, obviously, Adam and Eve didn't write Genesis, because their were dead. God inspired Moses to write the first five books of the Bible, or so we believe. I can argue the Bible is a reliable source, because it was written by God-inspired men; I picture God in a corner narrating what to write down to some scholar.

Also, did you know they found the oldest Bible in existence? They compared the text to a 2009 Bible. 99.9% accurate.

There's one big problem with the bible, though. Either it's 100% accurate to the oldest bible in existence, and we're basing our morals on a society that was scientifically and morally ignorant (as in women were less than dirt), or it isn't a recollection of that time period, in which case it isn't an accurate representation of the word of God. I have no quarrel with the Bible as a literary source, but when it comes to scientific understanding, moral values, and historical recollection...that's when it starts to fade. It's also one of the reasons no one brings up the bible anymore in the Evolution v God thread.

This post has been edited by Reyo: Nov 22 2010, 11:50 AM

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Nov 22 2010, 11:49 AM
Post #65

Group Icon

space team

doublepostfail

This post has been edited by Reyo: Nov 22 2010, 11:50 AM

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

+Quote Post

Ryuko
post Nov 22 2010, 04:00 PM
Post #66

Scarlet
Group Icon

Heaven's Wheel

QUOTE(StrawberryLoveIntervention @ Nov 23 2010, 07:04 AM) *
QUOTE(CrowFeather @ Nov 22 2010, 05:52 AM) *
Everyone is evil inside

It's impossible to know this unless one knows the thoughts and feelings of every single person.

I dont think it is necessarily saying that everyone is necessarily good, just that not everyone is not necessarily evil. I don't think I'm evil, as I do make attempts to help others as well as the environment (which any religion/belief could do). Though, I am not completely good, as I have done selfish things and have a bad habit for hogging large amounts of candy. But, hogging candy isn't exactly evil. It's not like I'm thinking "Oh! Now those kids in Africa won't be happy, as I have all of their candy!" Other people do good things as well: its not like they have this flawless facade they are able to put on and trick anyone.
What Yumie said. Not everyone is good, but not everyone is evil. Also, not everyone is either.

Everyone has a bad personality trait or two, but that doesn't make someone evil.

The first thing that comes to mind is someone who beats up, tortures, murders, rapes, kidnaps, etc., people to watch them go through physical, mental, emotional, sexual, etc. pain. It doesn't have to be someone who does that to people, though. It could also be someone who does so to other animals.

The second thing that comes to mind is someone who frames people for major things for the sake of money or whatever it is they're after. Evan Chandler using his son to frame Michael Jackson because he wanted money comes to mind.

People who play with others' emotions by pretending to be their friend and betraying them later might be evil or simply assholes, depending on how strong of a relationship the traitor built with the person. Or perhaps they're all evil.

There are probably a few other things that I'd consider evil, but those are the main ones that come to mind. Evil is a strong word that I generally reserve for the absolute worst people.

That's a fair point, but what you say to a person breaking the law? Speeding for example. It's fine if you speed a couple of times by accident, but what if a person has been speeding on purpose, putting lives at risk, for simply getting to a destination quicker?

--------------------

And so is the Golden City blackened with each step you take in my Hall. Marvel at perfection, for it is fleeting.

~ Raven
+Quote Post

Ryuko
post Nov 22 2010, 04:25 PM
Post #67

Scarlet
Group Icon

Heaven's Wheel

QUOTE(StrawberryLoveIntervention @ Nov 23 2010, 08:18 AM) *
QUOTE(CrowFeather @ Nov 22 2010, 04:00 PM) *
Everyone is evil inside

The first thing that comes to mind is someone who beats up, tortures, murders, rapes, kidnaps, etc., people to watch them go through physical, mental, emotional, sexual, etc. pain. It doesn't have to be someone who does that to people, though. It could also be someone who does so to other animals.

The second thing that comes to mind is someone who frames people for major things for the sake of money or whatever it is they're after. Evan Chandler using his son to frame Michael Jackson because he wanted money comes to mind.

People who play with others' emotions by pretending to be their friend and betraying them later might be evil or simply assholes, depending on how strong of a relationship the traitor built with the person. Or perhaps they're all evil.

There are probably a few other things that I'd consider evil, but those are the main ones that come to mind. Evil is a strong word that I generally reserve for the absolute worst people.

That's a fair point, but what you say to a person breaking the law? Speeding for example. It's fine if you speed a couple of times by accident, but what if a person has been speeding on purpose, putting lives at risk, for simply getting to a destination quicker?

I think most people who speed a lot don't really think of themselves in such an incident, in which case I'd just think them ignorant and undeserving of a driver's license.

If they've considered that they're putting others' lives at danger and still do it, though, yes, I'd consider them evil.

Good, but would you also say that anyone who breaks the law is evil?

--------------------

~ Raven
+Quote Post

PikaDiety
post Nov 22 2010, 04:37 PM
Post #68

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 92 309

Active Squad

Just so the people responding to me know: I do have faith. I have very strong faith in my gods. This is a debate about atheists, but is turning in to one about the Christian God. So I thought I should put in my opinion.

I believe in a heaven, and I believe I'm going to that heaven. But I don't think that people who believe differently are going to hell. That's honestly stupid. I don't choose to not believe in it because I don't like it, I choose to not believe it because I think the entire idea behind it is false. So, it really isn't a choice. I think it's false, therefore I don't believe. I don't choose to believe the moon isn't made of cheese, I know it isn't.
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Nov 22 2010, 04:55 PM
Post #69

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

i'm more of an apathetic than an atheist, because i honestly don't care about religion lol, but i guess that still makes me an atheist so..

--------------------
+Quote Post

Kira Wolf
post Nov 22 2010, 06:18 PM
Post #70

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 121 092

Active Squad

Honestly, in my opinion I have nothing against atheists, that is if they have nothing against me. I am a christian so...yeah. If a atheist has sometihng against me, I have something against me.
Pretty simple and not compelx, really. :/

--------------------
+Quote Post

Ryuko
post Nov 23 2010, 02:14 AM
Post #71

Scarlet
Group Icon

Heaven's Wheel

QUOTE(StrawberryLoveIntervention @ Nov 23 2010, 08:55 AM) *
QUOTE(CrowFeather @ Nov 22 2010, 04:25 PM) *
QUOTE(StrawberryLoveIntervention @ Nov 23 2010, 08:18 AM) *
QUOTE(CrowFeather @ Nov 22 2010, 04:00 PM) *
Everyone is evil inside

I think most people who speed a lot don't really think of themselves in such an incident, in which case I'd just think them ignorant and undeserving of a driver's license.

If they've considered that they're putting others' lives at danger and still do it, though, yes, I'd consider them evil.

Good, but would you also say that anyone who breaks the law is evil?

It largely depends on what the law is and/or why they broke it.

That question actually reminds me of a hypothetical situation that my psychology teacher described last year. I unfortunately don't remember all of it, but I'll try my best.

There was a husband and wife. The wife was sick, I think to the point where she would die if not treated in time. The husband went to get the medicine she needed, but the doctor wouldn't give it to him because he didn't have enough money, even though he explained what his wife was going through. Eventually, he took it anyway.

I wouldn't call the husband evil, since his wife needed the medicine in order to continue living (if I remember correctly). He didn't steal it just for the sake of stealing.

But what about the convicts in London, 1800's. who simply stole bread to feed their families? They did it for a good cause, but broke the law doing so. They had committed a crime.

--------------------

~ Raven
+Quote Post

FancyGranola
post Nov 23 2010, 03:02 AM
Post #72

Elite Double Battler
Group Icon

Member No.: 80 673

Life

QUOTE(CrowFeather @ Nov 22 2010, 11:14 PM) *

But what about the convicts in London, 1800's. who simply stole bread to feed their families? They did it for a good cause, but broke the law doing so. They had committed a crime.

So are you for "Atheism is evil" or "Atheism is not evil?" I'm at a loss here.

Stop asking stupid questions. Debate, don't ask a stream of useless questions that again do not really contribute to a side. Get something more original.

And you just now implied that religion is a crime or is evil. Please explain.

--------------------

Credits (click to show)
+Quote Post

Ryuko
post Nov 23 2010, 04:20 AM
Post #73

Scarlet
Group Icon

Heaven's Wheel

QUOTE(FancyGranola @ Nov 23 2010, 07:02 PM) *
QUOTE(CrowFeather @ Nov 22 2010, 11:14 PM) *

So are you for "Atheism is evil" or "Atheism is not evil?" I'm at a loss here.

Stop asking stupid questions. Debate, don't ask a stream of useless questions that again do not really contribute to a side. Get something more original.

And you just now implied that religion is a crime or is evil. Please explain.

What I'm trying to do, is getting a final definition of the word. And they're not stupid questions, it's called using logic to find an answer.

And I'm not implying that religion is evil, I'm proving a point that everyone in general is.
And what part did I, exactly?

--------------------

~ Raven
+Quote Post

proxSam
post Nov 23 2010, 06:05 AM
Post #74

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 61 970

Pink Cat Brigade

QUOTE(PikaDiety @ Nov 22 2010, 04:37 PM) *
This is a debate about atheists, but is turning in to one about the Christian God. So I thought I should put in my opinion.

Thank you. This is the point I was trying to make earlier.

@Reyo, this is what I was trying to say. I wasn't trying to add the the conversation going on at that time but merely commenting that several arguments didn't make sense because they were based on only one religion.

Example: On page 3, I saw people who were rejecting God because of a "reward" system. That's dumb, because not all religions have such things. As I said in another post, in Judaism, there is no hell. You don't do the right thing on fear of punishment or hope of reward; you do the right thing because it's your responsibility.

To anyone who doesn't like the "reward system," what do you make of that?

@CrowFeather: You used the examples of speeding and stealing to feed your family to make your point.

But what if the speeder was an ambulance trying to get to a hospital quickly? I know of a case from about a year ago where a woman was killed in an accident by a speeding ambulance. I can try to find the citation if you want. Also, as someone who takes an interstate highway to get to school and back 5 days a week, I speed frequently. However, the only time I've ever caused an accident (no one was hurt, btw) I was going under the speed limit.

In the case of someone stealing food to feed their family: what if the person who was stolen from was no longer able to feed their family?

The adverse effects that could result in these cases are absolutely not intended so how exactly does breaking the law prove that people are inherently evil?

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Nov 23 2010, 12:52 PM
Post #75

Group Icon

space team

QUOTE(Ruby Spritz @ Nov 23 2010, 07:05 AM) *
@Reyo, this is what I was trying to say. I wasn't trying to add the the conversation going on at that time but merely commenting that several arguments didn't make sense because they were based on only one religion.

Example: On page 3, I saw people who were rejecting God because of a "reward" system. That's dumb, because not all religions have such things. As I said in another post, in Judaism, there is no hell. You don't do the right thing on fear of punishment or hope of reward; you do the right thing because it's your responsibility.

To anyone who doesn't like the "reward system," what do you make of that?

And as I said before, it sounds like your quarrel is with the stereotype of atheists v Christians which, to be honest, wasn't really supposed to be the main focus of the thread. I don't like that it's turned into yet another "Let's ell at each other about religion" thread, but adding "Let's ell at EVERYONE, not just one group" to the mix doesn't help. I'd rather there be no yelling.

QUOTE(CrowFeather @ Nov 23 2010, 05:20 AM) *
What I'm trying to do, is getting a final definition of the word. And they're not stupid questions, it's called using logic to find an answer.

And I'm not implying that religion is evil, I'm proving a point that everyone in general is.
And what part did I, exactly?

Evil is an abstract term that changes from generation to generation based on the social evolution of man. If you want the definition of evil, you look at the majority at one point in time. If you want the shift of evil, you look at the majority as it changes from generation to generation. There is no definition for "evil" anymore than there's a definition for "love". It's a human emotion that varies from person to person, generation to generation.

There is your final definition.

This post has been edited by Reyo: Nov 23 2010, 01:00 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Luneon
post Nov 23 2010, 01:21 PM
Post #76

The older I get, the less I seem to care for things....
Group Icon

Member No.: 33 779

The Chosen Ones

i'm an Atheist and i'm not "evil" :|

since when do people think we're evil?!!!?????
:c

--------------------

Banners&Quotes (click to show)
+Quote Post

FancyGranola
post Nov 23 2010, 02:27 PM
Post #77

Elite Double Battler
Group Icon

Member No.: 80 673

Life

QUOTE(Luneon @ Nov 23 2010, 10:21 AM) *

When Atheists tried to argue against the Bible.

Stop quoting so much. I don't want to read what is before -three posts ago-. I obviously can't care less about what is posted before. Don't quote so much. Make a tl;dr.

--------------------

Credits (click to show)
+Quote Post

LiteSpeed
post Nov 23 2010, 02:53 PM
Post #78

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 39 978

hue

So Fancy, what you're saying is that we become evil when we argue against your beliefs, yet when you guys argue against the beliefs of Atheists it's perfectly fine and you're good? Doesn't that seem sort of stubborn?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Luneon
post Nov 23 2010, 02:56 PM
Post #79

The older I get, the less I seem to care for things....
Group Icon

Member No.: 33 779

The Chosen Ones

QUOTE(FancyGranola @ Nov 23 2010, 08:27 PM) *
QUOTE(Luneon @ Nov 23 2010, 10:21 AM) *

When Atheists tried to argue against the Bible.

Stop quoting so much. I don't want to read what is before -three posts ago-. I obviously can't care less about what is posted before. Don't quote so much. Make a tl;dr.

:|

but what's wrong with not believing in God?
i don't get this.. you guys are allowed to say we're evil and if we say you are.. it's against idontevenknowwhat and almost a crime :|

--------------------

Banners&Quotes (click to show)
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Nov 23 2010, 03:50 PM
Post #80

Group Icon

space team

QUOTE(LiteSpeed @ Nov 23 2010, 03:53 PM) *
So Fancy, what you're saying is that we become evil when we argue against your beliefs, yet when you guys argue against the beliefs of Atheists it's perfectly fine and you're good? Doesn't that seem sort of stubborn?

I don't know about Fancy, but what annoys the piss out of me is when atheists decide to ignore when I say "I don't respect the Bible as a credible source of science or moral values." and quote the damn thing further.

Yes, I know how funny it is that the bible tells us to stone queers to death and treat women like slaves. What I find more fascinating is why you're telling me this AGAIN as if it'll magically turn me into an atheist.

And no, I know that not all of them are like that, but damn it all the ones who do seem to do it the loudest.

QUOTE(Luneon @ Nov 23 2010, 03:56 PM) *
:|

but what's wrong with not believing in God?
i don't get this.. you guys are allowed to say we're evil and if we say you are.. it's against idontevenknowwhat and almost a crime :|

Yeah, I believe this entire thread has shown that no...that does not happen...does not happen at all.

This post has been edited by Reyo: Nov 23 2010, 03:51 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:26 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.