Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Animal Cruelty, And other morally questionable actions in Pokemon
PeachyMomo
post May 22 2009, 05:16 PM
Post #21

Cuddlemaster.
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 15 423

Canine Dream Team

The only people taking it seriously are you - -; If you read the topic, you would have noticed, "Yes, it is fantasy, but the connection made with reality is a little gruesome." Get an imagination. God, how boring are you?

I debate serious issues all the time, so I make one Pokemon debate and you say we should debate serious issues? Annoying assumptions. Just leave instead of leaving useless, unwanted comments.

This post has been edited by PeachyMomo: May 22 2009, 05:17 PM

--------------------

I'd be happy to click back :]
I always click back full parties. I also click new pokemon/eggs you add to your party throughout the day.

Dream Team.

Claims (click to show)
Squiby - Please Click (click to show)
Groups (click to show)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Supreme Meep
post May 26 2009, 12:05 AM
Post #22

Giver of Odd Nicknames
Group Icon

Member No.: 9 379

Team. Sort of.

QUOTE(DragonSpear @ May 12 2009, 10:40 PM) *
I think pokemon introduces the idea of animal enslavement. In one of the anime episodes, do you really think that a rapidash would let ash on his/her back? That's like horse back riding, you whip or spur the poor animal until it gets traumatised to let you ride on its back.

I beg to differ on that horseback riding point, since that is not entirely the case. You do not actually have to whip a horse, they dislike the whip because it moves and makes noise.

Besides, I think rapidash are more intelligent than horses, and it has been suggested that all pokemon are more intelligent than any animal (Alakazam, among others, being more intelligent than humans). It would've let Ash on its back because it trusted him. To me, it did not look like there were any whips or spurs involved (or saddles, which makes me wonder how Ash actually stayed on Rapidash's back). Just a Team Rocket plot gone awry. If I remember correctly, they scared it when it was a Ponyta, Ash calmed it down, and it only became a Rapidash mid-race.

Eh-hm. I think Thundershock doesn't kill Team Rocket because really, if they died that easily, wouldn't they have already kicked the bucket when they fell out of the sky after blasting off?

It has been proven that pokemon die (all the towers with pokemon cemetaries), although causes have not been stated. Old age and disease are probably more likely to blame. Oh, and Team Rocket (in the case of Cubone's mother).

--------------------
My Pokemon & Eggs (click to show)

I click back as soon as I can.
*with correct berries*

I claim Silver Lucario (Brawl)

Brawler Card (click to show)
+Quote Post

Dazmi
post May 26 2009, 12:17 AM
Post #23

Veteran
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 2 482

Active Squad

In my opinion, it's not abusive at all.
Pokemon seem to enjoy battling (if they win a decent number of times), besides, it's only a video game after all.
Don't take it too seriously, folks happy.gif

This post has been edited by johnrichard1991: May 26 2009, 12:18 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

docd
post May 26 2009, 08:47 AM
Post #24

Professional Pokemon Wrangler
Group Icon

Member No.: 19 203

Type Mismatch

Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, and Sheer Cold are all instantly lethal grin.gif

--------------------
Forgive me if I do something wrong; I'm a newb :P

Apparently I'm a:
Type

Murkrow isn't poison type... O_o
+Quote Post

Lucy C
post May 26 2009, 08:55 AM
Post #25

Castiel = yummy
Group Icon

Member No.: 22 237

-<3-

I think it's just best not to think about it really. I mean you can make all those connections, but it's fantasy so normal rules don't apply i suppose

--------------------

~is not really back...but kind of is...~
+Quote Post

Seadragon
post May 26 2009, 04:58 PM
Post #26

Splash
Group Icon

Member No.: 926

Active Squad

QUOTE(PeachyMomo @ May 22 2009, 05:16 PM) *
The only people taking it seriously are you - -; If you read the topic, you would have noticed, "Yes, it is fantasy, but the connection made with reality is a little gruesome." Get an imagination. God, how boring are you?

I debate serious issues all the time, so I make one Pokemon debate and you say we should debate serious issues? Annoying assumptions. Just leave instead of leaving useless, unwanted comments.

As stated, I have indeed read the topic. And I have a very active imagination, thank you. I'm simply stating that debating about something as unimportant as Pokemon is pointless. I just stated my opinion, but it's your own fault for getting all defensive about it. I'm surprised you're so immature to say I should leave the site for merely stating my opinion.

--------------------
magnemite.gif poliwhirl.gif Poliwhirl and Magnemite are claimed by me! poliwhirl.gif magnemite.gif

If you want to have a uber on your team, fine. Use one. Don't let other people stop you from having Pokemon you want on your team unless you tell them to. I don't think there's anything wrong with ubers, so I gladly use my Lugia. If you want to have a uber on your team, don't leave them sitting in a box just because someone said they're wrong. Take them out and stick em' in your team, dangit!!

And remember kids, frogs are evil! They are. Have you ever looked at their eyes? PURE EVIL.

Click the eggs/Pokemon, I will ALWAYS return the favors. awesome.gif But if you're only going to only click one, click the Poliwhirl.
+Quote Post

Isfet
post Jun 19 2009, 06:03 PM
Post #27

Total Avatard
Group Icon

Member No.: 34 811

My dream team!

Yeah, it's really weird how the injuries in Pokemon work. Team Rocket, for example, can be blasted half a mile away by a move that would have been lethal to a normal human, yet get up and walk away to try to get Pikachu in the next scene. However, Zoe trips and falls and sprains her ankle, and can't move the rest of the episode. Bizarre much?

--------------------

Part of the Berry Smart group!

+Quote Post

Usagi Zakura
post Jun 20 2009, 04:52 AM
Post #28

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 30 763

Team Awesome

Yeah I have thought about it. And I often joke about it XD (Had a crack crossover fanfic once where I made an Animal Cops-like group who are basically insane and accuses everyone for animal abuse when two animals are fighting, regardless if they were forced to or not).

But what I really hate is how Ash accuses everyone of being mean for not having the same strategy as him or something... Take Paul for instance, he catches several pokčmon and then releases most of them because they don't have the moves he wants. Ash accuses him of being mean TO THE POKČMON HE RELEASED. Actually they're lucky, I'd be more worried about the poor thing he takes with him. Ash releases pokčmon left and right.
Or "You beat up my pokčmon meanie!" That's what Pokčmon battles are about. YOU do it all the time.
But hey what can you do. Ash is only ten years old (and has been for like 10 years...) so I guess I can't blame him for being childish..

--------------------

Uxie uxie.gif Anitarig giratina.gif Daisuke infernape.gif Weasley floatzel.gif Sceptile sceptile.gif Rika raichu.gif

+Quote Post

R o x a s
post Jun 22 2009, 05:53 PM
Post #29

Pkmn Trainer Roxas
Group Icon

Member No.: 29 848

Old Faithful

Pokemon isn't animal cruelty they love to battle!

--------------------

Badges (click to show)

Symbols (click to show)
+Quote Post

Linda 3046
post Jun 29 2009, 11:44 AM
Post #30

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 40 048

Active Squad

I don't think pokémon battles and dog fighting is comparable at all. The pokémon aren't forced to battle like dogs.. It's like comparing boxing with dog fighting.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Xerias
post Jun 29 2009, 11:50 AM
Post #31

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 14 110

My Fantasy Team

I was thinking about that the other day (about the animal cruelty bit) My friend and I then started a conversation on it and more. I was looking at some of the pokémon designs. They have similar features that of animals. I dont think it was meant to portayed at all in that kind of way but it does when you really think about. Still cool though. I wouldnt go out and pretend my dogs were pokémon and make them fight.

--------------------

Thank you so much to the Serenity Spirit for my Sig pic!!

+Quote Post

Karnox
post Jun 29 2009, 12:12 PM
Post #32

I will devour your soul!!!
Group Icon

Member No.: 30 869

Karnox Dark Squad

well pokemon in the pc box arent actually in the box, they live in oak's back yard XD

then as for fighting, yeah they like it, its just like boxing, wrestling and karate humans enjoy it...well i do anyway (doing it not watching it of course)

and i think your right about the whole team rocket thing, like it really isnt fair that team rocket cant catch other pokemon and also no one can catch legendaries too

--------------------
Click Darkrai or he will give you Nightmares

~~

+Quote Post

Linda 3046
post Jun 30 2009, 05:55 AM
Post #33

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 40 048

Active Squad

Well, the reason why they don't want team rocket to caught pokémon is probably because they use them for crime or threat them badly. I think thats a pretty good reason, just like people who threat they animals badly shouldn't have them.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Sandlion
post Jun 30 2009, 12:35 PM
Post #34

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 40 610

Active Squad

Y'know, I never thought about it like that.

I mean, I was pretty weirded out when they had the whole slowpoke tail thing. Like, "they can actually put that in the game!?"

But here's another weird thought: If they don't have animals, just pokemon... What do they eat? xD;
More importantly, what do the POKEMON eat?

--------------------
<-- Click Sandlion to see my party!

A member of the Ninja Army
+Quote Post

Vanilla Villa
post Jun 30 2009, 12:45 PM
Post #35

Let's decadence!
Group Icon

Member No.: 14 114

Oh hai

Wow, I've never thought about this before, 0.o and I suppose cramming Pokemon into tiny Pokeballs and then putting them inside a computer (how do you even do that?) is pretty bad, but you can't sugarcoat everything shown on TV.

--------------------
+Quote Post

eagleblackbelt
post Jun 30 2009, 01:03 PM
Post #36

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 5 289

My Shiny Party

Nah, I think that those pokeballs are pretty roomy. I think that your ideas of it being animal cruelty is messed up and makes no sense whatsoever. These animals are made for this, and the attacks don't kill people, I think that Arceus made them that way.

--------------------
Collector of Shinies!

Shinies I have but are not willing to trade
(click to show)

Shinies I am willing to trade
(click to show)

My Pride and Joy:
(click to show)

If u want to battle, sure. I'll battle from between levels 60-73, and in a separate party around lv. 100
0731 1827 6059
Here are my eggs! Please click them! I ALWAYS click back, and I mean it!

+Quote Post

exdream
post Jul 6 2009, 04:44 AM
Post #37

Group Icon

Member No.: 24 882

I can't speak for the anime, but in the game they are just plot devices.

Your entire team of dragons and slugs can't plod around Kanto with you so they have to invent pokeballs. You can't carry 100 pokemon with you because that way, you'd never be defeated. You're supposed to try and only win with 6 pokemon. So they invented the PC, which is a convenient way of retrieving pokemon everywhere.

When a pokemon 'faints' in battle, it has battled to its best of abilities before getting knocked out. They don't say 'die' because it doesn't sound good, but obviously your pokemon HAS to go down in some way or another.

And as for team rocket... How are you gonna tell a 6 year old he can't be a pokemon master? Remember, they're selling these games to kids and they need to make the game run smoothly. I don't think they mean anything bad at all.

--------------------
+Quote Post

sqtodd
post Jul 10 2009, 01:46 AM
Post #38

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 18 885

Active Squad

ok well yes catching pokemon and making them fight might be mean but it seems they want it. the creators made it that way. thats why Pokemon have personality in the show

yes it wrong how ash always stops team rocket from catching wild pokemon

they are made into pure energy and put in the ball....i think

--------------------
I click your whole party!!

i dont update my sig often. just come to my profile!

http://gpxplus.net/user/sqtodd

if you want your Pokemon in my sig, pm me. you have to have my pokemon in your sig too.
+Quote Post

JustNobody
post Jul 13 2009, 03:43 PM
Post #39

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 41 040

Active Squad

Pokeballs are supposedly like space pockets, fortified with a hologram of the Pokemon's natural habitat. Or the Pokemon is turned into energy and is held inside the ball. Pokemon fighting isn't like animal fighting because they choose to do it, it's probable that the entire race has a fighting and 'pleasing the master' (like dogs) instinct. I also have a theory that Pokemon's moves are made out of energy, that only causes pain and supeficial damage to the body, witch explains how come Pokemon never bleed. It, however, when attacked enough, it can cause knockouts and even death. That's probably why Team Rocket never dies, the 'lightning' that Pikachu shoots isn't lightning at all, it's compressed energy given off by Pikachus. They probably lie on the ground frazzled for a couple miniutes then get back up and sulk. When a Pokemon is in a PC, maybe they're put into a 'hibernation' state until they're taken out? In the anime Ash just drops then off at Prof. Oak's. Bill originaly created the technology that did that, then it was elaborated on by others, such as Bebe. But I'm probably taking things to seriously. It really is just a game, PCs and Pokeballs are just plot devices......but the whole fighting thing still sends negatice moral issues to some and I think it is something that is worth discussing.

--------------------

I know you have no obligation whatsoever to click my team, but I hope you will do it anyway because I asked nicely and I will click you back. monocle.gif And because I have a monocole
+Quote Post

chidori5000
post Jul 20 2009, 06:07 PM
Post #40

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 32 309

Active Squad

dude the difference is that the pokemon has a choice like they can run away or something dog are trained to kill sometimes and stuff
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:20 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.