Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
36 Pages V  « < 30 31 32 33 34 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Evolution or God?, Something every Forum should have...
bijoukaiba
post Jul 10 2011, 06:04 PM
Post #621

Proud NB Gator & writer
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 45 767

My Sapphires

QUOTE(The Frozen Dictator @ Jul 10 2011, 08:41 AM) *
I'd have to side with evolution. I used to be Christian, but I'm a turn away now since it doesn't really make sense to me. My family and friends are all Christians and only about 3 of my friends know about my atheism.
Evolution makes more sense to me.

Evolution:
Wouldn't fossils leave evidence of the evolution of creatures?
How would you explain the "founded" Noah's Ark on Mt. Ararat?

So yeah, sorry if my little brain wastes your time.

I'm also going through the same "phase" of starting to tell my friends/family about my atheism as well. I've told a handful of my closest friends, and only my cat (though that probably doesn't count sweat.gif), little brother, and mom know that I'm an atheist - as far as I can tell, I am the first non-Christian in the family.

Anyway, to answer your questions...

1) Do you mean transitional fossils? The problem with those is that it seems to suggest that you find every single generational fossil between species.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejbNVWES4LI

Watch this video, but click on random time intervals first to see random pictures... say, 0:01 .... 0:12 ... 0:35.. 0:48... 1:12 .... 1:23. Six different pictures of the same girl. We can see that she has changed over time, even without looking at the day-by-day pictures in between. Evolution is sort of the same... even if we can't get fossils from each and every generation of species, we can still see the evolutionary divergence present.

2) Three reasons why Noah's Ark on Mt. Ararat was a fake:

1. They claim that radiocarbon dates the wood to 4800 years before present, but the Ark was constructed of pre-Flood wood, which would mean that the carbon dating should be much, much older.

2. The modern "Mt. Ararat" (Agri Dagh) is a post-Flood volcano. The Ark could not have landed on Agri Dagh because it did not exist at the end of the Flood, and even if it did land on modern Agri Dagh, it would have been destroyed by the many, many eruptions of Ararat since the Flood. You can observe all the fresh lava flows on Agri Dagh at Google Maps.

3. Given that the Flood survivors left the Ark to find a devastated world, the Ark would have been the best source of timber for the first decade or so. I think it highly likely that the Ark would have been dismantled to supply the growing population with building material for shelter.

--------------------

I BLEED ORANGE AND BLUE!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Jul 10 2011, 07:06 PM
Post #622

I'm in space...space...spacespace
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 30 281

space team

QUOTE(The Frozen Dictator @ Jul 10 2011, 07:41 AM) *
I'd have to side with evolution. I used to be Christian, but I'm a turn away now since it doesn't really make sense to me. My family and friends are all Christians and only about 3 of my friends know about my atheism.
Evolution makes more sense to me.

Though, I still have questions for both choices.

Creation:
According to most/some Christians, things could not appear by chance. If so, then how did God came to be?

1. I've never heard that said in church, but maybe I'm jusy biased.
2. He/She/It was unintentional? Then there's the possibility that he's always been there, and thus never needed to "came to be".

How do you explain that there are still other religions that claim their own religion is the only true one?

Because people like to be right about ERRTHING. If you don't believe me, tell someone...anyone...hell, it could be some random guy on the street that he's wrong about anything.

If all the animals came out of the Ark, how did the kangaroos get back to Australia?

They swam.
/smartassanswer

I don't know, but then again I don't trust half of the stories in the bible as 100% truth anyway.

Quoted from Epicurus:
“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

All of those are human attempts to predict the personality of a being who is truely omnipotent and omniscient. Maybe God's just a dick. I don't know, but it's certainly possible. And evil is something I never did like hearing people try and say is this big bad thing that needs to be destroyed. For one thing, try defining evil. What makes someone evil? Some of the hugest dickheads that I've seen have had the most normal lives possible, and that's when they did that shit on purpose. Let's say a guy in his mid-forties runs over a kid who was playing in the street, and the kid dies. Now let's say that guy has a loving wife, 2 kids (one of which is in college as a science major (for obviouse reasons...(science is awesome))), a dog, and a hobby as an R/C plane flyer. Is he evil?

Evolution:
Wouldn't fossils leave evidence of the evolution of creatures?

They technically do, but the argument isn't whether or not the fossils show a chronological path of an organisms transition...or at least it isn't anymore. Now it's a matter of "WELL WHERE'S THE CONNECTION BETWEEN X FOSSIL AND Y FOSSIL!!!??!" Even if a new "missing link" is found, people will demand a "missing link" between that new fossil and the one before it. It's like proving that 2 is less than 3. Well...2.1 is greater than 2 but less than 3, so 2 must be less than 3.

BUT PROVE THAT 2.1 IS LESS THAN 3!!!!

How would you explain the "founded" Noah's Ark on Mt. Ararat?

Some guy a bamillion years ago crashed his boat in the side of a mountain and it's been there ever sense? That boat being compared to Noah's Ark is founded in human emotion, like saying that a parking spot is a gift from God for you to get where you're going on time. It's a normal event being glorified as a supernatural phenomenon.

So yeah, sorry if my little brain wastes your time.

<filler quote>

This post has been edited by Reyo: Jul 10 2011, 07:07 PM

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-
+Quote Post

Skins T
post Jul 11 2011, 06:47 AM
Post #623

Feel the Fire, Break your Vision
Group Icon

Member No.: 68 079

Favourite Pokemon

I don't reject the concept of divine intervention, but am baffled by the idea of people believing a random book or two would know about said intervention.

Evolution vs. Creationism is no contest, not to mention a rather pointless argument. Creationism is a religious story, made real by evangelists who take a book too seriously. Evolution actually has proof.

--------------------

Click above for party~
+Quote Post

PawsrentOrigin
post Sep 8 2011, 09:10 PM
Post #624

Seasons Greetings!
Group Icon

Member No.: 126 421

Active Squad

I believe that the FSM, in all of His infinite wisdom and glory, first created the mountains, the trees, then a midget. Then he dipped His noodly appendage in the primordial ooze, and created the sea creatures. Then he made more species to make future scientists believe it was all evolution, to keep the pastarazzi away from his macaroni gates and beer volcano.

But seriously, to qoute the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, there is a conversation that occurs.

God: I refuse to prove that I exist, for proof denies faith, and without faith, I am nothing.
Man: But [life] proves that you exist, and therefore, you do not.
God: Oh dear, I hadn't thought of that.
The God promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
Man: Well, that was easy.
Man then goes on to prove that black is white, and gets trampled by a herd of stampeding zebras.

This post has been edited by PawsrentOrigin: Oct 9 2011, 12:32 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

kirby163
post Sep 13 2011, 05:28 PM
Post #625

Stuck in a dungeon~ Gonna save the day~
Group Icon

Member No.: 65 892

Adventure Team

I'm going to say this: if God does exist, then I want to have a long talk with him. A very long talk.

What really bothers me about religion is when people use it as an excuse to hurt people.

In my opinion, any God who encourages pain and death is not a God, and should be ignored and forgotten.

--------------------
Shiny race with Mack

+Quote Post

Reyo
post Sep 16 2011, 06:07 PM
Post #626

Group Icon

space team

QUOTE(PawsrentOrigin @ Sep 8 2011, 09:10 PM) *
I believe that the FSM, in all of His infinite wisdom and glory, first created the mountains, the trees, then a midget. Then he dipped His noodly appendage in the primordial ooze, and created the sea creatures. Then he made more species to make future scientists believe it was all evolution, to keep the pastarazzi away from his macaroni gates and beer volcano.

I HATE HATE HATE it when someone decides to bring the FSM into any religious conversation. It's an attempt to avoid a legitimate conversation for the sake of bashing the side of religion. Some dick decided to try that with me when we were having a discussion about evolution vs. creationism (I was playing devil's advocate). We were on something related to the validity of the bible and out of nowhere he says "Well I have a book detailing the death, and eventual resurrection of the Flying Spaghetti Monster."

"Dude...what's the point of bringing the FSM into this?"
"The point is you're masking your ignorance for evolution by hiding behind a fiction book"
"......you DO know that I'm making a better grade in Biology class than you...right?"
"Whatever dude, you're just a closet believer."

In 99% of the religious conversations I've had with someone, the SECOND they run out of a clear and concise argument, the FSM rears it's head to muck it up.

So please, if you will...don't.

QUOTE(kirby163 @ Sep 13 2011, 05:28 PM) *
I'm going to say this: if God does exist, then I want to have a long talk with him. A very long talk.

What really bothers me about religion is when people use it as an excuse to hurt people.

In my opinion, any God who encourages pain and death is not a God, and should be ignored and forgotten.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_will

Don't assume that just because a group of people are dicks in the name of God, that God himself is truly in agreement with what they're doing. If God wanted a group of people dead, he'd use his omnipotence to kill them. Plain and simple.

This post has been edited by Reyo: Sep 16 2011, 06:09 PM

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

+Quote Post

Dragonflames1994
post Sep 16 2011, 09:52 PM
Post #627

Dragonflame1994 is a fake
Group Icon

Member No.: 119 057

Interrupting Rayquaza

God: No proof.

Evolution: Proof.

The End. happy.gif

--------------------
Click below for my party.

My legit shiny female Haxorus is awesome.
Ask me something on formspring.

+Quote Post

nitrodog96
post Oct 12 2011, 05:05 PM
Post #628

bewm
Group Icon

From: In a burning ring of fire, channeling the power of the flames.
Member No.: 61 870

Platinum Team

That's true. But God does make sense.

(but if the Good Book is right, then am I related to Chinese people I don't even know?

I've got a pretty good compromise here.

God might have made evolution, then all that bible stuff with Noah's Ark and Jesus and everything happens.

If no one likes that, I say God. His way is much more believable, and seriously, the average human isn't as hairy as a monkey.

--------------------
I used to be Cyogre, ILoveTaillowHesCute, TaillowIsCuteAndCool, Tart Spop, Tartius Spopius, Tartii, King of the Eevees and MasteroftheFlames. If you know me under any of those names, yeah, that's me.

In-Game Teams (click to show)

Hoping to get Social Networking! I'd really appreciate an add.

Arcanine! (click to show)

Miscellaneous (click to show)

Credits (click to show)

+Quote Post

Reyo
post Oct 12 2011, 06:04 PM
Post #629

Group Icon

space team

QUOTE(Tart Spop @ Oct 12 2011, 05:05 PM) *
That's true. But God does make sense.

(but if the Good Book is right, then am I related to Chinese people I don't even know?

I've got a pretty good compromise here.

God might have made evolution, then all that bible stuff with Noah's Ark and Jesus and everything happens.

If no one likes that, I say God. His way is much more believable, and seriously, the average human isn't as hairy as a monkey.

horrified.gif
*brain cells start popping*

While I agree in your stance that God and Evolution are compatible, that statement right there leads me to believe you have VERY little of understanding of even the fundamental workings of evolution.

I'll make it quick: 2 things!

1. Hair and hair alone isn't what determines how similar, or dissimilar two species are to each other.
2. That statement is under the impression that you believe in the argument "If people evolved from apes..." which has been shot down multiple times in this very thread alone, so many times in fact that now it's nothing more than a siren that goes off whenever somebody is unfortunate enough to ask "CAN I go to the bathroom" instead of "MAY I go to the bathroom."

This post has been edited by Reyo: Oct 12 2011, 06:10 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Me Gusta
post Nov 6 2011, 12:58 PM
Post #630

Hockey Brawl!
Group Icon

Member No.: 152 455

Me Swamsta

i don't believe in religion so it'll be stupid if i believe in a god. there are fossils that prove that the earth is way older than what the bible says and some people even try to fix or teak their believes which are flawed in the first place.

--------------------
Click Them
CLICK ALL THE EGGS
+Quote Post

Lugia182
post Nov 8 2011, 03:35 PM
Post #631

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 127 341

Favourites

I haven't read most of the replies to this thread (there are too many), so sorry if I'm just re-hashing what others have said.

I'm not religious in the slightest, so (for now*) evolution is the only thing I can believe in that I can think of. It's logical to me, and I'm largely logical-minded, so yeah. The evidence for it (that I've seen, anyway) is overwhelming. For that reason, it angers me that some schools don't teach it. To me, that's a form of brainwashing!

*I say "for now" because who knows? Scientists might discover something in the future that contradicts evolution completely and that offers some new explanation as to where we came from.
+Quote Post

nokrow889
post Nov 10 2011, 02:10 PM
Post #632

what would you do for a Klondike bar?
Group Icon

Member No.: 24 628

Pokemon Pearl

the one fatal flaw i always see in evolution is how it all started the big bang is what most people support but let me ask how did that single atom or mass of junk or w/e get there? most scientists dont even have an explanation for that and the ones that do are so far out of this world to make any sense the movie exspelled (while i know not the best thing out there) does have real scientists on it and one of them said he believes aliens place that first blob of everything that exploded but then the question arises who made the alien??? has anyone ever thought what if the big bang did happen the odds of everything going the way they did is astounding considering how little room for error there was...also scientists have stated that life cant be made from nothing so how did the first atom come to be? honestly i dont know if God is real but there has to be something greater than us that did all this it happened in a way that just isnt possible thru any other means other than divine intervention.

(sorry for bad grammar i never picked it up in school :/)

--------------------

Vdex
(me and my brother)

Group Banners (click to show)

+Quote Post

Reyo
post Nov 11 2011, 04:08 AM
Post #633

Group Icon

space team

QUOTE(Nokrow889 @ Nov 10 2011, 03:10 PM) *
the one fatal flaw i always see in evolution is how it all started the big bang is what most people support but let me ask how did that single atom or mass of junk or w/e get there? most scientists dont even have an explanation for that and the ones that do are so far out of this world to make any sense the movie exspelled (while i know not the best thing out there) does have real scientists on it and one of them said he believes aliens place that first blob of everything that exploded but then the question arises who made the alien??? has anyone ever thought what if the big bang did happen the odds of everything going the way they did is astounding considering how little room for error there was...also scientists have stated that life cant be made from nothing so how did the first atom come to be? honestly i dont know if God is real but there has to be something greater than us that did all this it happened in a way that just isnt possible thru any other means other than divine intervention.

(sorry for bad grammar i never picked it up in school :/)

Evolution was never meant to explain how life started, only how life gets from point A to point B. Evolution is more fit to explain how you got from your house to school than it is fit to explain how you came to be (Ironic given that biology is actually pretty fluent as the specifics of just that). Besides, there are several cases exploring just how life most likely started by trying to replicate it in a lab, and they're being mildly successful at it.

Discussion posting given by my biology professor (click to show)

So far the best bet is that the raw materials were around, and a catalyst (lightning, if you read the posting) caused the initial chemical reactions that lead to very simple life forms made of a lipid bi-layer, proteins, and DNA/RNA until it grew more complicated. That's not even evolution though, that's biochemistry.

has anyone ever thought what if the big bang did happen the odds of everything going the way they did is astounding considering how little room for error there was

I have actually, and it's easily explained by the notion given in statistics that, given an infinite amount of time, and an infinite amount of trials, an anticipated outcome can be said to have 100% certainty. That's why I like to think of some parts of evolution as one big trial and error experiment.

This post has been edited by Reyo: Nov 11 2011, 04:10 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

BurnedHeart
post Nov 13 2011, 12:13 AM
Post #634

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 153 830

Teamy team

Evolution. Sorry, don't have a big statement why like everyone else.

--------------------
YGOTAS FAN!
Livin' life as it comes, bro. grin.gif
Please warm up my eggs! I'll warm up yours!
+Quote Post

RoboFloatzel
post Nov 16 2011, 06:22 PM
Post #635

Jacen the Robot Floatzel
Group Icon

Member No.: 4 066

Robot Pokemon

The answer was always so simple: God created evolution, so everybody wins!

This post has been edited by Masterge77: Nov 16 2011, 06:22 PM

--------------------

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!

My icon was made by MelNathea on DeviantART
My DeviantART account

Water types are weak against Fire types if they use Thunder as armor. Flareon can use dive and aim for the horn. Then finish it off with False Swipe although it may faint if it uses Endure...but thats just because everyone knows Arbok evolves into Seviper
+Quote Post

Ariana Grande
post Nov 16 2011, 09:58 PM
Post #636

azumarill @ vdexproject
Group Icon

Member No.: 121 837

fav pokemon

I really don't know enough to participate in this debate but I do have a question for all of you.

If evolution is the correct theory, where did the ideas of gods originate from?
And seriously, don't say the Bible.

I don't think one day, some random person thought about creating this idea of a super human that created all existence, but hey, I could be wrong.

--------------------
thank u, next
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Nov 16 2011, 10:44 PM
Post #637

Group Icon

space team

QUOTE(Maiko @ Nov 16 2011, 10:58 PM) *
I really don't know enough to participate in this debate but I do have a question for all of you.

If evolution is the correct theory, where did the ideas of gods originate from?
And seriously, don't say the Bible.

I don't think one day, some random person thought about creating this idea of a super human that created all existence, but hey, I could be wrong.

You can say that about any idea.

I don't think one day, some random person thought about creating this device that harnesses free flowing electrons in the form of light, but hey, I could be wrong.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Uwtkhgs
post Nov 19 2011, 06:16 PM
Post #638

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 114 755

Dream Team

QUOTE(Dragonflames1994 @ Sep 16 2011, 09:52 PM) *

The End. happy.gif

where is that proof. tell me. i want to know. what is it. I have a beautiful counter-argument for carbon dating btw, if thats your proof for a billion year-old earth.

--------------------
Click my Poke's! (or is it Pokes? I'm not sure)

Quotes! (click to show)
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Nov 19 2011, 10:55 PM
Post #639

Group Icon

space team

QUOTE(Uwtkhgs @ Nov 19 2011, 07:16 PM) *
QUOTE(Dragonflames1994 @ Sep 16 2011, 09:52 PM) *

The End. happy.gif

where is that proof. tell me. i want to know. what is it. I have a beautiful counter-argument for carbon dating btw, if thats your proof for a billion year-old earth.

Sounds like your specific beef is with Carbon dating, which is actually a topic I don't have much experience with. Besides, carbon dating is only really a sliver of Evolution, much like genesis is for the entire bible. Is there any specific quarrel with evolution you have? Macroevolution, Microevolution, Natural Selection, human evolution specifically, I know immunology has it's own little tentacle in evolution. Problem is I'm lazy and don't want to over explain something you already agree with.

--------------------

+Quote Post

The Dark Assassi...
post Nov 19 2011, 10:59 PM
Post #640

Blaze 77
Group Icon

Member No.: 126 803

Blaze 77

i think its all of GOD....... unimpressed.gif

--------------------

- THE DARK ASSASSIN
+Quote Post

36 Pages V  « < 30 31 32 33 34 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2024 - 03:12 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.