Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Nintendo 2DS
Thunder Smash
post Aug 28 2013, 10:57 AM
Post #1

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 109 263

Some Favorites

So today just a little bit ago, Nintendo just released a 'Nintendo 2DS'. It's set for $129.99 and to be released on October 12th. It'll still play 3DS games, only without the 3D.

I think the design of the console is kind of clunky. It doesn't fold down like the 3DS does, which is a huge minus for me. Since I already own a 3DS, I won't be buying the 2DS, but those who don't already own a 3DS, well, this will be a great opportunity to buy the console at a lower price. A plus is that it's set for release on (again) October 12th, same as Pokemon X & Y!

What do you all think?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Snom
post Aug 28 2013, 11:11 AM
Post #2

IRL Dog Groomer
Group Icon

Member No.: 31 264

Favorites

Ew, no thanks. Not for me. I'll just keep my PikaDS.
I can see their niche in the market so hats off to Nintendo for finding it. The unfoldieness of the screen is very off putting for me, but would probably be better for younger children (not that I think younger children need to be in front of screens every long anyways).

--------------------

Cobalion -> Furfrou -> Snom
+Quote Post

Manah
post Aug 28 2013, 11:22 AM
Post #3

Made of random and Joltik love / Totally not a fangirl
Group Icon

Member No.: 6 080

Diamond Party

Just the fact that it doesn't fold would make me pay more for a 3DS, if I didn't already own one. I don't have that much space in my bag. confused.gif

But it's still a nice idea since so many people have trouble with playing in 3D (including myself). I'd probably still buy a regular 3DS because I like to use 3D occasionally, I just can't play like that for very long.

--------------------
Pokémon Moon FC: 0877-0881-6378 (Trainer name: June)

~
Buttons made by Arceus Awakened
+Quote Post

Snom
post Aug 28 2013, 11:35 AM
Post #4

IRL Dog Groomer
Group Icon

Member No.: 31 264

Favorites

QUOTE(Manah @ Aug 28 2013, 12:22 PM) *
Just the fact that it doesn't fold would make me pay more for a 3DS, if I didn't already own one. I don't have that much space in my bag. confused.gif

But it's still a nice idea since so many people have trouble with playing in 3D (including myself). I'd probably still buy a regular 3DS because I like to use 3D occasionally, I just can't play like that for very long.

But you can turn the 3D off very easily though. I don't even play with the 3D on. I just like the brightness and clarity of the screen. I'm like you. The 3D makes my head spin. I think a lot of people (and potential buyers) don't realize that the 3D capabilities can be turned off, even though there's instructions in the box. I'm aware there are technophobic people in this age that wouldn't understand the concept of turning the graphics off, so this is where the 2DS would come in, I suppose.

--------------------

Cobalion -> Furfrou -> Snom
+Quote Post

Darkrow
post Aug 28 2013, 11:53 AM
Post #5

Some frickin' video game nerd.
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 16 016

Unbreakable Team

I guess it works as a cheaper 3DS for people who have trouble affording the real thing, but it still feels unnecessary. Then again, I feel like Nintendo just likes releasing a dozen variations for their portable consoles, so eh.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Manah
post Aug 28 2013, 01:37 PM
Post #6

Made of random and Joltik love / Totally not a fangirl
Group Icon

Member No.: 6 080

Diamond Party

@Cobalion
Thanks, but I know I can turn it off happy.gif

I was more referring to the price. I guess many people just don't want to spend that much money on a feature they won't use at all, so it's nice that they can save some money here. I still think the 2DS has too many flaws to be worth buying, though.

This post has been edited by Manah: Aug 28 2013, 01:38 PM

--------------------
Pokémon Moon FC: 0877-0881-6378 (Trainer name: June)

~
Buttons made by Arceus Awakened
+Quote Post

Yamper
post Aug 28 2013, 04:39 PM
Post #7

Axew and Volcarona enthusiast
Group Icon

Member No.: 61 211

Invisible Kyurem

I understand everything is revolving around money but..

I really don't think it's necessary. Kids should be playing with toys and doing normal kid stuff, not being glued in front of a screen playing games :/ yano.. not learning the basics of making friends through playing.

I just don't think it's necessary at all, whatsoever. I'm not going to argue my reasons for this, it's just my opinion -shrugs-

This post has been edited by Samoo: Aug 28 2013, 04:40 PM

--------------------

Don't forget to love yourself.
Add me for daily clicks: 873/1000

[align=center]---

Community Thread Shiny List!

---[/align]
[align=right]Breeding Incentives: Mission Cards
[/align]
+Quote Post

Synx Itax
post Aug 28 2013, 07:57 PM
Post #8

A learning vessel of several lessons to make me more clever.
Group Icon

Member No.: 23 405

My Loves

QUOTE(Samoo @ Aug 28 2013, 04:39 PM) *
I really don't think it's necessary. Kids should be playing with toys and doing normal kid stuff, not being glued in front of a screen playing games :/ yano.. not learning the basics of making friends through playing.

I just don't think it's necessary at all, whatsoever. I'm not going to argue my reasons for this, it's just my opinion -shrugs-

I don't really understand your logic here. Clearly this thing is marketed to kids, but even if it didn't exist, they'd still be playing the 3DS alternatively. Or some other game system. Or a phone or tablet or something. Either way, they'd be glued to a screen. I assume you'd just rather they not be glued to ANY screen for that long. I agree that kids shouldn't be glued to a screen because it makes them potentially less active, but not because they won't be making friends that way. I met tons of friends (most of them, actually, and my gf) because I was "glued to a screen" -- the internet is an amazing thing, and the 2DS (or any other system) at least gives them opportunities to cooperate with their friends through games. I'd argue that these things are far more beneficial than regular toys since they do potentially allow for more interaction (or at least in a different way), and kids who go to school will still be exposed to other kids, so there's time for interaction there, too. But yeah, obviously everyone would do well getting up and moving around every now and then.

Not really trying to argue; just offering a different perspective.

Anyway, I think the thing looks really dumb. I get that it's marketed towards kids and all, or at least I assume that's the case due to the lack of breakable hinges, but it just looks silly. If I didn't have a 3DS, I'd still get a 3DS. I like being able to fold my device (particularly if it's a square shape as opposed to a rectangle like a PSVita or phone or something), and I also like to avoid scratching up the screen(s). The wedge aspect is also understandable but weird. Reminds me of a doorstop.

I also remember that when the GPA SP was released, people noticed how it looked like a sleeker, more mature GBA. I'd say that the same analogy can be made with the 3DS and 2DS -- the former is a sleeker, more mature model compared to the 2DS, which frankly reminds me of a Leapfrog-type system.

This post has been edited by Synx Itax: Aug 28 2013, 08:20 PM

--------------------

Check my GPXPlus journal to see what I contributed to the site!

Interested in a commission? PM me.
+Quote Post

ShrapnelStars
post Aug 28 2013, 08:44 PM
Post #9

Well, I wish I'd wished you well
Group Icon

Member No.: 4 143

Let Us In

Why are all the buttons shifted up to the top? XP

Even the little Leap Frog and Vtech game systems (that desperately try to emulate Nintendo, mind) either fold or have a single, manageable screen, complete with rubber grippers and borders to help the clumsiest of kids. The stylus is attached by string to help keep kids from losing it, too. This thing isn't designed with kids in mind. I find it hard to believe that people couldn't just slide the 3D slider down, or that Nintendo couldn't just drop the price of the 3DS. (I know money is their goal, but I think affordability was one of the selling points, IIRC.)

I'm glad that there's a more affordable version of the 3DS, but the execution rubs me the wrong way. It's like: "You're too stupid or poor to get with the standard model? Here, have this unwieldy thing. That's as low as we're stooping for you. When your screen is busted and you've got carpal tunnel syndrome, you'll see that the 3DS was clearly worth your money. Now buy that after you're done with your regret buying this."

That looks like what the first 3DS should have been before they released the current models, like the GBA and SP, or the DS and every other incarnation after it.

Good god, can you imagine a 2DS XL? :V

--------------------
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Aug 28 2013, 08:55 PM
Post #10

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

the 2DS should also be known as the Nintendo Doorstop

--------------------
+Quote Post

Emmagurd
post Sep 1 2013, 06:19 AM
Post #11

Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo
Group Icon

Member No.: 36 116

Mamolicious

See, all I have is a Nintendo DSi, so what with Pokémon X and Y coming out next month, I was all prepared to go and buy a Nintendo 3DS just to play X and Y.

I had no idea that Nintendo had launched a 2DS... and quite frankly, what is the point of it? It doesn't fold down, which is what I thought was a big selling point of a Nintendo - it folds down, it's more compact to carry around, and the screen doesn't get scratched.

Also, it's made so it plays 3DS games, but doesn't have the 3D. Again, what's the point? You can pay a little bit more money for the 3DS, which you can turn the 3D on and off at your own will. So you see a game that looks really good in 3D, you can actually buy it and play it in 3D or 2D if you want to.

Iwon't be buying the 2DS. I'm going to stick to original plans and buy the 3DS. The 2DS is obviously marketed at kids, but even so... I just don't see the point in it :|

--------------------

I do gaming videos! grin.gif Please have a look!
Emmagurd's Youtube

My fiancé does gaming videos for Minecraft, PVK and other stuff! Please take a look! grin.gif
DavidiansLair's Youtube

Made by Bonnie Clyde

+Quote Post

MonoSpectator
post Sep 28 2013, 05:29 PM
Post #12

Embodiment of Nightmares
Group Icon

Member No.: 206 807

Nightmares in Heaven

My only interest in the 2DS is the price reduction, but the fact that it doesn't fold is VERY off putting for me. I usually carry my regular DS Lite in my purse, so it's better for me if it folds. Really, I might just upgrade to a 3DS since it can play normal DS games as well and it folds. I'll just turn off the 3D. I really don't have much need for it anyway. Either way, I need to upgrade soon ^^'' since I really want to play X and Y, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and a few other 3DS games pinch.gif

--------------------

~Come and GET IT one more time, if you want to LOSE your MIND~
I am... (click to show)
My Links (click to show)
Stuff Made For Me! (click to show)
+Quote Post

Sundaisy
post Dec 2 2016, 06:44 PM
Post #13

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 235 852

Favorite Active squad

Yeah I not need 2DS to be because I already have 3DS and original one likely you can add a advance card can work with before 3DS come out I can use old and new game works well for 3DS. I just turn off the 3DS screen make me headache. happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:05 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.