Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
I feel bad for some GPX+ users...
Pikagrue
post Jul 16 2009, 03:45 AM
Post #41

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8 690

herp derp

QUOTE(School Boy @ Jul 16 2009, 01:33 AM) *
And they know that in advanced?

You are failing to make sense.

Basically, you are proposing that an individual with no signs of depression and who isn't otherwise suicidal might be influenced to commit suicide merely by reading the relatively common flaming that occurs in some internet circles.

I am proposing that any such individual is probably too stupid to operate their computer without electrocuting themselves.

--------------------
|

It is pitch black. I am very likely to eat you.
90% of internet users fail to understand basic arithmetic. If you are one of the 12% that do, paste this into your sig.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Andy
post Jul 16 2009, 03:45 AM
Post #42

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 17 015

Active Squad

QUOTE(Chrys @ Jul 16 2009, 02:40 AM) *
If all you see is flaming, then you're seeking it out. I have personally not seen any flaming in my time here. I've heard of it happening but you know what? Rules are rules, and if you don't read them and don't follow them, you kinda deserve that slap to the hand [not YOU specifically, I mean in general]. XD This is the interwebz, but c'mon. Don't leave common sense at the door.

I've met some really nice people and seen others who have extended great kindness. I guess it really all depends if you see the glass half empty or half full, as the saying goes.

And woah. Let's not question if people are suicidal or depressed or any of that. I mean sure, it happens, but seriously? You can't think that everytime you go to post something. That's not fair or realistic and does no one any favors.

Really, it all burns down to, the rules are made for a reason. If you go to any other site/forum and break the rules, guess what? You'll get warned/banned. I think picking out GPX for that is a little silly. The staff is interactive [I had the Commander say I made her sad today because I posted a link before she did XD], most of the members are friendly and fun. Just because there's one or two of those people - and you'll find those people everywhere you go, from internet to real life - doesn't make it fair to say GPX is like that as a whole.

If tl;dr, then here's the summary: rules are in place for a reason, abide by them and flames will be kept to a minimum. Don't think all of GPX as flammers or mean people, 'cause we're not! And above all, this is the internet! Not everyone will be nice, but that's life. ;3

So have fun, sheesh! XD
I understand perfectly the rules, honestly.
xD
Truly, I do.
And I honestly know EXACTLY where you're coming from.

I hate to make you guys look stereotypical, because I KNOW some people are nice out there, or, in these forums; but some people, just, like you said, are people.

Also, this forum wasn't aimed for the admins. It was aimed for those... people in general.

@Avegaille: Did I ever tell you I thought you knew about his problems?
I said afterward.
How you just blew that off like it was nothing.

--------------------

Your touch intensifies,
And I'm in the Quicksand
+Quote Post

omgEMILY
post Jul 16 2009, 03:46 AM
Post #43

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 44 149

Active Squad

The staff are quite nice, actually.

They're simply doing their jobs to keep the forum running. Let's not have them do their job for a day and have everything become chaotic, because they deal with a lot of crap and god forbid they can't keep a cheery disposition for a day. You obviously didn't listen to something in the rules to get a warning, and, srsly; it's not like you were banned - and if you had been, like Ave, get over it - you were let back in if you were. You did something wrong, you were told you were, let's move on, please? If you're going to flip out about something, do it in a civilized fashion - not returning comments with flames - because that's what I see.

And Zex wasn't flaming. o3o

And that's my input. -salutes staff members-

Edit :: And to address people that are "jerks", so to speak; after reading a bunch of your posts in here (referring to those who believe the site needs people to be nicer), I wouldn't want to become friends with you. ;/

This post has been edited by omgEMILY: Jul 16 2009, 03:47 AM

--------------------
Come on, put on your lederhosen
And try not to stamp on little Pikachu

(totally that one girl who did stuff.)

[ o m g E G G S ]
+Quote Post

Andy
post Jul 16 2009, 03:51 AM
Post #44

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Blu Aardvark @ Jul 16 2009, 02:45 AM) *
QUOTE(School Boy @ Jul 16 2009, 01:33 AM) *
And they know that in advanced?

You are failing to make sense.

Basically, you are proposing that an individual with no signs of depression and who isn't otherwise suicidal might be influenced to commit suicide merely by reading the relatively common flaming that occurs in some internet circles.

I am proposing that any such individual is probably too stupid to operate their computer without electrocuting themselves.

This has occurred MANY, many times on the internet.
Just because you cant get yourself to believe that it has happened before, doesn't mean that it hasn't.
Google it?

@Emily: I don't act like this. I act like this when I see something I don't like. Obviously, there's things like that everywhere; and I don't do something like this about it normally.

I'm completely over it.
I don't care if I got warned.

But I care about people's attitudes towards others.

I'm not flaming anyone in here, what-so-ever. I haven't cussed once.
Re-read this forum, please. O:

&& follow your own advice; because that was pretty rude of yourself, too. :]

--------------------

Your touch intensifies,
And I'm in the Quicksand
+Quote Post

Avegaille
post Jul 16 2009, 03:51 AM
Post #45

Stalker of Eggs.
Group Icon

Member No.: 15 075

Kinky Team

QUOTE(School Boy @ Jul 16 2009, 04:45 PM) *
I said afterward.

Well, excuse me, I never said that I knew what his problem is when I met him for the first time. I only found out about "that problem" when a certain staff member of SPPf (as well as all of the staff members there) found out he committed suicide and the posts that he made before he committed suicide. Of course, it was a little researching in the online world and an article written.

I mean, it was 2004 when I met him. I haven't seen him after 2005. And then the news about his suicide came out 2007-2008. That's a long gap if you ask me.

This post has been edited by Avegaille: Jul 16 2009, 03:54 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Andy
post Jul 16 2009, 03:53 AM
Post #46

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Avegaille @ Jul 16 2009, 02:51 AM) *
QUOTE(School Boy @ Jul 16 2009, 04:45 PM) *
I said afterward.

Well, excuse me, I never said that I knew what his problem is when I met him for the first time. I only found out about it when a certain staff member of SPPf (as well as all of the staff members there) found out he committed suicide and the posts that he made before he committed suicide. Of course, it was a little researching in the online world and an article written.

Okay~

--------------------

Your touch intensifies,
And I'm in the Quicksand
+Quote Post

Diana Marie
post Jul 16 2009, 03:55 AM
Post #47

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 45 166

Active Squad

People, listen to reason! This is exactly what I'm talking about! I can tell you all feel hurt or offended. See? The point of this thread was to address that we should avoid doing this.

--------------------
Warm my eggs & Feed my pokemon? Click here.

I return clicks && Full party click everyone!
+Quote Post

exdream
Post #48

Group Icon

Member No.: 24 882

QUOTE(School Boy @ Jul 16 2009, 04:30 PM) *
Another thing, Diana didn't even start off targeting admins. Diana just pointed them out; but were aiming for the users like you.

Could anyone in this forum be a LITTLE more understanding?

That's not how I saw it unfortunately. 6 posts down and your friend starts talking about people getting 'flamed' by admins (which I have not seen personally). In fact this whole thread appears to about admins. Evidence:

"Yeah I get what you mean. The staff are definitely different to other online communities I've been to. I saw Wymsy's post where she stated you aren't allowed to talk about events.."

"Anyways, I've seen people get flamed by admins and such.
The users are probably small maybe even like 7 and 9. It probably hurts some of them when they get flamed. "

"Oh, I know that. The thing is, as administration, it's your job to politely, in the most friendly manner, correct the user if there is a mistake. I think this place is a little tense with the moderating."

"It would be smart as an administrator to be nice. "

"The other two read others' forums that have been locked, and rude moderators posting comments like, "Good for you" or just being rude, and they're honestly SCARED to post."

I don't think I want to go on, but from what I read this entire thread seems to revolve around what people think of the mods.

QUOTE(School Boy @ Jul 16 2009, 04:30 PM) *
If everyone was capable of moving on, countries wouldn't exist, opinions wouldn't exist, rallies and fighting for what you think are right, YOU, and this thread, wouldn't exist.

Uh huh. It is also my personal opinion that you are overreacting about mod action. I still stand by my opinion that this place is relatively flame free and peaceful, which is not what you described. If you think I was being rude for having a different opinion as you, okay.

Anyway, off to click eggs

QUOTE(Diana Marie @ Jul 16 2009, 04:55 PM) *

People, listen to reason! This is exactly what I'm talking about! I can tell you all feel hurt or offended. See? The point of this thread was to address that we should avoid doing this.

Actually, no I'm not. It's your assumption that people are. I'm going off to return clicks and hunt for my Manaphy egg and eat some chocolate

This post has been edited by exdream: Jul 16 2009, 03:57 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

omgEMILY
Post #49

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 44 149

Active Squad

You don't need to cuss to flame. And I've read this whole board.

And actually, that's quite civilized of me. Personally, I believe your snarkyness is quite rude, which is what you're fighting against. But I'm done here, I was simply stating my opinion and a few facts.

<3

--------------------
Come on, put on your lederhosen
And try not to stamp on little Pikachu

(totally that one girl who did stuff.)

[ o m g E G G S ]
+Quote Post

Andy
post Jul 16 2009, 03:57 AM
Post #50

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

Bye everyone~

--------------------

Your touch intensifies,
And I'm in the Quicksand
+Quote Post

Pikagrue
post Jul 16 2009, 03:57 AM
Post #51

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 8 690

herp derp

QUOTE(School Boy @ Jul 16 2009, 01:51 AM) *
This has occurred MANY, many times on the internet.
Just because you cant get yourself to believe that it has happened before, doesn't mean that it hasn't.
Google it?

Cite your sources, then. "Google" is not a source. Personally, I find it highly unlikely that a person is going to suddenly become suicidal upon being called a wanker by some anonymous dude from Raleigh. And if that person is going to suddenly become suicidal, well, shit, good riddance.

Perhaps you are speaking of true cyberbullying, but that is not what I am referring to. True cyberbullying generally occurs where the attackers personally know the victim, and vice verse - say, a group of people launch an internet campaign to smear some kid who goes to their school. It also can occur when many users gang up one in order to ostracize him and exclude him from the community. Neither are particularly common occurrences, and neither are occurring here, on this forum.

QUOTE(Diana Marie @ Jul 16 2009, 01:55 AM) *

Seriously, don't try to psychoanalyze people based upon the text they write on an online forum. You're not very good at it. Leaping to luvvy-duvvy conclusions doesn't get anyone anywhere; it just makes you look like a tool. And I say that in the nicest possible way.

This post has been edited by Blu Aardvark: Jul 16 2009, 04:22 AM

--------------------
|

It is pitch black. I am very likely to eat you.
90% of internet users fail to understand basic arithmetic. If you are one of the 12% that do, paste this into your sig.
+Quote Post

Gacko
post Jul 16 2009, 04:49 AM
Post #52

There's a goat on the lam, Sir!
Group Icon

Member No.: 9 523

Flying Monkeys

QUOTE(Diana Marie @ Jul 16 2009, 04:55 AM) *

Seems as if the matter didn't even need to be pressed on in the first place... :\ It seems almost a slap in the face to most to have such a thing called into question. Especially when it seems as if most didn't seem to have a problem in the first place.

The Staff is nice and can be understanding at times, but maintaining such with some of the things we have to deal with is nigh on impossible. The reports we receive, The reports we don't receive (ie; report-worthy matters that slip under the radar), Trying to maintain peace in the IRC... It can all get rather frustrating. Especially considering that some reports come to be nothing but pure spam, or mass reports (Though in a small time-frame) on a topic/matter not yet handled.

Then you take into account the Administration, Wymsy and possibly to a lesser extent Zerxer likely get countless PMs on various matters that honestly shouldn't be there (Begging for an event egg, other things in the same vein) Are you telling me that in such a position you would be able to keep a calm and level head as each day goes on?

As for the user-base... I honestly don't see what you mean. Quite a great deal of the user-base is Kind, calm, and civil in nearly all they do, some only showing any sign of hate towards another user if it was rightly deserved (Constant spamming, openly flaming others, etc.), of course there is always the bad seed that is likely to pop up.

Attempting to force users to change with a few, what you assume to be, nice words does next to nothing, and probably turns even more off to the idea.

If you or anyone see what you believe to be even the slightest bit of flaming, Do not hesitate to report it, Even if it is a Moderator who you believe may be guilty of it. None of us are perfect and even the moderating staff can screw up sometimes.

I figure another of the staff will come in and say their 2 cents far better than I had, but just wanted to put things into a bit of perspective for some.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Talasia
post Jul 16 2009, 05:10 AM
Post #53

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 20 639

Phione~~

Just going to throw my two cents in.

I, for one, support the way this forum is run. Sure, sometimes a mod post can come off as sounding a little rude, but try to think of it more as exasperated, rather than rude. If you say they have a job to run, then their job is MODERATING, as that is what their job is called, not the "answer the same question 50 times a day, when we have the answer already in a rule post, with a smile on our face" position.

Moderating on a forum means keeping it running smooth; to remove spam posts, duplicates, or posts that go against the rules, which are there for a reason, and to remove problem people should it arise. Any community, online or offline, has rules, and it's their job to uphold them and OUR job, which we take on willingly by perusing this site, to obey them. If you DON'T read the rules, or break the rules for whatever reason, honestly, do you think you have a right to complain when you're scolded?

So keep up the good work, Moderators and Admins. Keep the ship running tight and ship-shape!

This post has been edited by Talasia: Jul 16 2009, 05:11 AM

--------------------

Thank you very much to those who help my eggs hatch!

DAYCARE:
+
A Watched Daycare Never Produces Eggs.

GROUPS:

all buttons created by me. free to use them if you're part of the groups~
Please don't take my avatar. Thank you!

Other Adoptables (click to show)
+Quote Post

Sheria
post Jul 16 2009, 05:16 AM
Post #54

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 12 468

Oc party

To be honest, I have had no problem with anyone so far with being on GPX+, everyone has been really nice and if anything trying to make things fun! You have to understand for the moderators its a tough job having to keep up to such a big site everyday and countless things of exactly what they just answered keep popping up and they have to sort it out all over again. Don't you think that both annoying and stressful? I think they are friendly and they are just trying to make this place fun for everyone. If people aren't happy with someone else then have obviously done something, or they want to know someone before they start glomping and hugging all over them ect. =/

They also participate in games, when they could just ignore them. They actually interact with users, which is a rarity for a site. I think its pretty considerate of them actually. So, all this really is just showing how ungrateful someone can be.

although this has probably been repeated many of times now.. I just wanted to support them ^^

--------------------

Not so much of a Hikaru x Haruhi fan anymore...
<3 GO TAMAHARU <3

Clubs (click to show)

+Quote Post

MDFang
post Jul 16 2009, 05:31 AM
Post #55

In Soviet Russia, the bill pays YOU!
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 35 374

D:

but wymsy looks so scary ._.

Even though it's a nice forum and all, this place could use a LITTLE BIT more love
*hugs everyone*
That's what I'm talking about cat.gif

Even though I'm not very active, I almost never see real flaming of fights of some sort. All I see is threads being closed after five seconds saying "you didn't read the rules"
what rules? almost every board has its own set of rules attached to it.

ah, nevermind that. It's just that I come from a small forum, which is waaay less strict than most bigger forums. (although we had to deal with some spammers a while ago, and strengthened our rles for a bit)

anyhoo, about the niceness
It may be because it's a big forum, so not everyone knows each other well. That's why it's a lot less humble than a small forum.

Meh, all that may be just me, though. You guys decide ;D

--------------------
-/-
Randomisation of images done by randimg. Images by me.
+Quote Post

geeklord
post Jul 16 2009, 05:58 AM
Post #56

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 42 712

Active Squad

QUOTE(Diana Marie @ Jul 16 2009, 03:55 AM) *

Agree!

--------------------

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
I GIVE
FULL PARTY CLICK BACKS!

(。◕‿‿◕。)

http://gpxplus.net/user/geeklord
+Quote Post

MoogleSam
post Jul 16 2009, 09:05 AM
Post #57

A Defensive, Protective, Fair, Happy and Playful Lion~
Group Icon

Member No.: 11 034

Roster in Diamond

I think it actually is quite nice and friendly. Not everyone is friendly but most are. I am friendly, kind and try to be friends with everyone but I am too kind, I give people too many chances and act nice to them when they are my enemies.

Staff get stressed out and can snap at people for doing what other people did many times in the past. They can't always remain calm when they end up having to warn people, lock topics, tell off people for doing something they have been told not to do already etc.

They are not nasty, they just have their own problems and stress.

--------------------
If any of my old friends want to contact me, please email me!
+Quote Post

lunari
post Jul 16 2009, 09:18 AM
Post #58

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 20 722

Active Squad

This thread is just stirring crap.

You realise that the mods are people too? All your preaching about BE NICE TO PEOPLE THEY MIGHT KILL THEMSELVES IF YOU'RE NOT applies to them, too. You're calling them crap at their jobs, despite the fact that they're basically doing all this for free, in their spare time. You don't know how much crap they put up with. You don't know how much people attack them, 'cause it's often behind the scenes that moderators are attacked.

I know that getting grief from bad moderators can ruin a forum. But a forum of this size, and with some of the levels of idiocy that goes on in here - and no, that's not a direct attack at anybody, it's simply that some people refuse to read the rules - I can understand why they get a bit snidey at people sometimes. Yes, some people make mistakes, and raging at them is a bad thing, but it's often hard to tell the difference between "oops, sorry, I made a mistake" and "lol rules? what rules?"
However, if you DO read the rules, and pay attention to what you're doing, you can pretty easily get by without being shouted at. If you make a mistake, ignore the shouting and learn from it. That's how real life works, isn't it?

tl;dr, get a grip of yourself, the internet is a hostile place, Mods Are People Too and if you're scared to post then don't.
+Quote Post

necromanticize
post Jul 16 2009, 10:47 AM
Post #59

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 21 183

Active Squad

As a frequent poster on many other forums before this, I can safely say that I am actually shocked by some of the things the mods/admins say to members.

I understand that as an administrator of a free site you have the ability to say and do whatever you please, but isn't the point of the site to get more members? If you give your members any reason to believe that you don't enjoy having them around, they're not going to stay. And they're certainly not going to be convincing any of their friends to join.

Maybe you think they're not going to be "heartbroken" about people leaving, but why would they have made such a large and successful site in the first place if they didn't care about members?

Plus, I don't think most people want their members to tell people, "Man, these moderators are nasty." Or "Shit, our admin's a bitch!"
I know if I were an admin of a site I were trying to represent, I'd feel bad if my members thought I was a bitch.

Maybe some people don't care how the general public views them, and maybe a lot of the members don't think this way, but sometimes it still seems a bit harsh.

Especially when an admin or mod will come into your thread, post one word and then lock your thread with absolutely no explanation. It seems awfully... passive aggressive to me. And this is coming from experience.

The mods give more explanation to locking event threads, something that has been mentioned over and over not to start, than they do when they lock a legitimate discussion topic.

--------------------

I always click back when I can!
I always click full parties.

Currently breeding in the Daycare:
kangaskhan.gifsnorlax.gif

+Quote Post

Natsume Reiko
post Jul 16 2009, 12:01 PM
Post #60

Smiting Fundamentalists since the 1980's.
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 43 334

Active Squad

Plus, I don't think most people want their members to tell people, "Man, these moderators are nasty." Or "Shit, our admin's a bitch!"
I know if I were an admin of a site I were trying to represent, I'd feel bad if my members thought I was a bitch.

As a person in power you're subjected to hatred from everyone no matter what. It's bloody impossible for a HUMAN to make EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHERS HAPPY. It's like being a principle for a stupid high school. You're expected to run a huge populace where:

1. The teachers bloody hate you and want to kill you.
2. The parents hate you and want to kill you.
3. The students hate you and want to kill you.
4. The school board hates you and wants to kill you.

On top of it all you're in charge of making the bloody school run smoothly. So no matter how hard you try to be nice; how hard you try to meet everyone's expectations of you...YOU'RE ALWAYS GOING TO FALL SHORT ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.

With a site with thousands of people. You have your share of bulls**** on all sides. So no matter how much you DON'T want to be a BITCH. You're always going to be VIEWED as a BITCH by OTHER PEOPLE NO MATTER WHAT. People are a**h***** like that.

Especially when an admin or mod will come into your thread, post one word and then lock your thread with absolutely no explanation. It seems awfully... passive aggressive to me. And this is coming from experience.

Have you thought that perhaps the topic may have mentioned something against the board rules or that it's been dead for a while? Why do they need to explain the obvious? Or the topic was something that was STATED in the rules to never be discussed?

End Note:

The mods are more helpful than the ones on WoW's response team and I think they're at liberty to be a little strict when it comes to dealing with idiots who spam them over the same s*** on a daily basis. And at least they apologize for their mistakes. There's only so much of CAN I HAVE AN EVENT EGG shit that they can handle when the event forum has said: DO NOT ASK ME FOR A F***** EVENT EGG. If you can't READ go back to school. It's a F****** Important Skill.

--------------------
~~~~Credit goes to Commander Wymsy.

Important info about myself (click to show)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th June 2024 - 09:28 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.