Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Banned pokemon eps, What happend
Azureetti
post Aug 25 2009, 01:36 AM
Post #1

Inactive
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 19 495

Active Squad

i never thought pokemon would ever episods banned i only know of one though wich is Dennō Senshi Porygon (Computer Soldier Porygon)
This was banned due to the fact Six hundred and eighty-five viewers were taken to hospitals, but only two people remained hospitalized for more than two weeks. Due to this, the episode has been banned worldwide. 20 minutes into the episode, there is a scene in which Pikachu stops some vaccine missiles with its Thunderbolt attack, resulting in a huge explosion that flashes red and blue lights. Although there were similar parts in the episode with red and blue flashes, an anime technique called "paka paka" made this scene extremely intense, for these flashes were extremely bright strobe lights, with blinks at a rate of about 12 Hz for approximately 4 seconds in almost fullscreen, and then for 2 seconds outright fullscreen.

screenshot 1

One frame of the scene that caused the seizures.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

JDB1984
post Aug 25 2009, 12:17 PM
Post #2

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 48 423

Soul Silver team

-There's "Beauty and the Beach" which had James in a female suit with inflatable breasts.

-There was a second episode that occurred in the safari zone, but it was banned because there was an old guy that was a little trigger happy.

-There were a couple of winter episodes that weren't seen for a few years. They were meant to air after ESP, but the show was taken off the air for a few months after the seizure thing.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Izzy
post Aug 25 2009, 01:22 PM
Post #3

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 55 681

Active Squad

I read that one of the ADV episodes never aired (even in Japan) because it had an earthquake in it.

Then there was one with a Jynx in some Ice Caves or something.

--------------------
Yeah, Please Ignore This For Now... (click to show)

^ Leads To My Party! ^

totodile.gif totodile.gif I Claim Totodile! Yay! totodile.gif totodile.gif
Fear It's Toto-Awesomeness!
+Quote Post

bookist
post Aug 25 2009, 04:18 PM
Post #4

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 7 552

Active Squad

the jynx was because of the way it portrayed African Americans. Though i think the safari zone one was overkill.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Usagi Zakura
post Aug 26 2009, 12:27 AM
Post #5

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 30 763

Team Awesome

Many of these deletions cross me as pretty useless....

In the Porygon-episode, why didn't they remove the harmful scenes? I saw that scene. Its like they were ASKING for seizures o.O The entire screen is blinking!

The Safari-zone episode... Well it was for a reason, but I can't help but get bothered by it:
1- There were guns in the Squirtle Squad Episode too, but that wasn't banned.
2- In all the previous episodes there were so much talk of "we're going to the Safari-zone!" think of how exited the kids who were looking forward to that gets...only to have it not happen.
3- Tauros? What Tauros?

Wow 4Kids -_-.gif

--------------------

Uxie uxie.gif Anitarig giratina.gif Daisuke infernape.gif Weasley floatzel.gif Sceptile sceptile.gif Rika raichu.gif

+Quote Post

Elito
post Aug 26 2009, 01:44 AM
Post #6

My life's a theater.
Group Icon

Member No.: 50 181

MonoPoison

Banned 1
Episode 18: Holiday at Acopaulo (US Name: Beauty and the Beach)

Reason for Banning:
This Episode Was Banned because they gave James clevage so he could win a beauty contest. This took over a lot of the episode which is why when KidsWB aired a cut version of it, it was horribly mutilated and severely cut in time.

Banned 2
Episode 35: The Legend of Dratini

Reason for Banning:
This Episode was banned because of over use of a Projectile Weapon (A Gun), other eps use Guns but none involve the firing of guns towards other people. In the US there were many shootings by children and it was thought best not to subject children to this sort of thing. The lack of this episode also caused a lot of confusion as there were multiple captures by Ash in it which by going by the US airings...just magically appeared

Banned 3
Episode 38: Electric Soldier Porygon

Reason for Banning:
This episode is banned everywhere in the world including Japan. During the episode when Ash and co. are with Porygon in Cyber Space, missiles get fired at them from Team Rocket. Pikachu blasts the missiles with Thunderbolt causing a flashing of red and blue which put 800 Japanese children into hospital with epileptic seizures. After this the show was put on a 4 month hiatus and was almost totally banned with Nintendo to be blamed for it

Banned 4
Episode 252: The Ice Cave

Reason for Banning:
The first episode in almost 4 years that was banned made people think why was this episode banned. This Episode was banned due to some people having a problem with Jynx being a "racial stereotype" and since Jynx was prominently in these episodes, they decided not to air it

(OMG! dumblook.gif )

Banned 5
Episode 377: Shaking Island Battle! Barboach VS Whiscash!!

Reason for Banning:
The most recent episode has not been aired anywhere in the world, not even Japan. It was originally postponed due to massive earthquakes in the area and since it features Whiscash making Earthquakes it would have been bad taste. However this episode was scheduled for a further Japanese showing but didn't air. Now it has come to the US Airing and it again has been skipped

Poor Barboach, he never appeared in anime...that is so stupid...and the reason for Jynx episode being banned! i mean it is sooo stupid!

--------------------

x
+Quote Post

Azureetti
post Aug 26 2009, 01:58 AM
Post #7

Inactive
Group Icon

Member No.: 19 495

Active Squad

i read somewere that after the seizure ep the porygon clan was never included in the anime again
look porygon 2 was never in jhoto joerneys or advanced and porygon Z has not yet got an episode to its self or included in one
+Quote Post

Elito
post Aug 26 2009, 02:03 AM
Post #8

My life's a theater.
Group Icon

Member No.: 50 181

MonoPoison

yeah...they promised they will never show off any porygon in anime...but why then making one?
O.o
dumblook.gif
however, Porygon2 appeared as a cameo, but nothing more....

--------------------

x
+Quote Post

Usagi Zakura
post Aug 26 2009, 10:45 AM
Post #9

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Team Awesome

Banning Porygon is just ridiculous and stupid... Porygon wasn't the cause of the seizures...
Now who was that...if only I can remember the name...something yellow. electric and appears in every single episode...
(That makes me wonder if it was a coincidence that the episode that replaced Electric Soldier Porygon is named "Pikachu's Goodbye") -_-.gif
Porygon didn't do anything.

This post has been edited by Usagi Zakura: Aug 26 2009, 10:46 AM

--------------------

Uxie uxie.gif Anitarig giratina.gif Daisuke infernape.gif Weasley floatzel.gif Sceptile sceptile.gif Rika raichu.gif

+Quote Post

FiddleTwix
post Aug 26 2009, 01:05 PM
Post #10

No, this is Patrick
Group Icon

Member No.: 55 445

My faves

QUOTE(Usagi Zakura @ Aug 26 2009, 11:45 AM) *
Banning Porygon is just ridiculous and stupid... Porygon wasn't the cause of the seizures...
Now who was that...if only I can remember the name...something yellow. electric and appears in every single episode...
(That makes me wonder if it was a coincidence that the episode that replaced Electric Soldier Porygon is named "Pikachu's Goodbye") -_-.gif
Porygon didn't do anything.

Come to think of it, in the very first episode (With the Spearow) and the second episode (Against Team Rocket), both times Pikachu used a powerful electric attack in the end it was accompanied by a rather irritating dark/bright continuous flashing.

It's understandable to ban the episode if something that bad happened because of it. But why ban Porygon or it's evo's to ever appear in the anime again?
Is it deemed disrespectful or something? Afraid the same incident will happen again?

The Jynx one, though, is far more stupid. Anything that can be read into by overly-sensitive people, IS read into and crap like that happens. facepalm.gif Mr. Mime could be offensive to mimes. You don't see anyone editing him out of the picture. dumblook.gif

--------------------

Like anime reviews, stuff and more stuff? Like western animation and things? I do those things here nom.gif http://fiddletwix.wordpress.com/
+Quote Post

TripsOverFlatSur...
post Oct 4 2009, 08:22 PM
Post #11

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 39 530

Active Squad

QUOTE(JDB1984 @ Aug 25 2009, 12:17 PM) *
-There's "Beauty and the Beach" which had James in a female suit with inflatable breasts.

-There was a second episode that occurred in the safari zone, but it was banned because there was an old guy that was a little trigger happy.

-There were a couple of winter episodes that weren't seen for a few years. They were meant to air after ESP, but the show was taken off the air for a few months after the seizure thing.

I think they redid the episode but took out jame's breasts

--------------------

I need all the help I can get crazy.gif but I click back full party! nod.gif
+Quote Post

Rokoka
post Nov 8 2009, 04:17 AM
Post #12

Old School Pokemon Fan
Group Icon

Member No.: 71 356

Active Squad

QUOTE(Eliot Kovach @ Aug 26 2009, 01:44 AM) *
Banned 5
Episode 377: Shaking Island Battle! Barboach VS Whiscash!!

Reason for Banning:
The most recent episode has not been aired anywhere in the world, not even Japan. It was originally postponed due to massive earthquakes in the area and since it features Whiscash making Earthquakes it would have been bad taste. However this episode was scheduled for a further Japanese showing but didn't air. Now it has come to the US Airing and it again has been skipped

This episode was aired in japan and was never shown again after it's one airing it was record by a few and there is a leak that is going around for the episode that is the T.V. aired version quality wise so yes it was banned but it was aired so you know

--------------------

My Eggs

My Siblings Eggs - Icicle Was Pm'ed and Informed About them

+Quote Post

Blackjack Gabbia...
post Nov 8 2009, 05:51 AM
Post #13

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 43 266

Active Squad

No it wasn't. The preview was aired but the episode never was.

As for the Dratini episode, come on. 4Kids gave us the Invisible Gun. Do you really think they'd be to blame for banning an episode like that? (although I personally think it could have been easily solved if they'd said it was a laser gun like on Superman, but hey).
+Quote Post

Darkrai Princess
post Nov 10 2009, 01:02 AM
Post #14

Pokemon Lover
Group Icon

Member No.: 68 936

Team Natsu~ ღ

I never knew Pokemon caused seizures. O.e Wow powerful stuff ont hat one episode.

--------------------
+Quote Post

damo279
post Nov 10 2009, 02:37 AM
Post #15

Pokemon Hunter, Trainer, Master
Group Icon

From: Somewhere between the pokemon universe and kingdom hearts universe
Member No.: 20 199

My Platinum Team

@Bones It's the rapid red and blue flashing that triggers the seizures, or else nearly every Pokemon episode would cause a seizure whenever Pikachu used Thunder lol.

Also the safari zone episode in particular caused a lot of inconsistencies further in the series to do with Ash catching around 30 Tauros, (one of which he used to help win the orange islands league), as well as Oak showing Ash a room with shelves of Green Pokeball's and telling Ash that they were all his caught Pokemon, leaving many Western viewers to simultaneously, wtf.

--------------------

I always try to click back if you click my full party.
Get it? Clicks for me = Clicks for you! Everyone wins!
Special Pokemon (click to show)

Cool Stuff (click to show)
+Quote Post

Usagi Zakura
post Nov 10 2009, 09:53 AM
Post #16

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Team Awesome

I found a clip of the infamous Porygon-scene. (Fandubbed but that's fine, after all the VOICES don't cause seizures:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Oh6DdUyFcU...feature=related
You won't get a seizure from watching it on that tiny screen but imagine seeing it on a large TV-screen and doing as many kids do, sit as close to the TV as possible.
Can you blame them? :/
Makes me wonder whose brilliant idea it was to make the scene that flashy... It was ASKING for trouble.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Shinzu
post Nov 10 2009, 05:44 PM
Post #17

Giratina, Regigigas, and Hypno <3
Group Icon

Member No.: 41 210

The Favs

The one banned ep. that really makes me laugh is the one with Jynx. They didn't air that one because she had a black face and dark blue hands. It's an ANIMAL for crying out loud! xD

I refuse to watch the Porygon one, but I don't think they need to take it out of the series completely. Just don't have the idiot put in flashing lights again.

grin.gif I loved the safari zone one! I realized how Ash got so many Tauros after watching it!

There was another ep. with Wishcash that REALLY made me go, wth? They caused earthquakes and they freaked out because of the recent happenings.

This post has been edited by Kunzi: Nov 10 2009, 05:47 PM

--------------------

Pictures and links! (click to show)

Hypno! (click to show)

Credits- Thank you guys! <3 (click to show)

+Quote Post

RoboFloatzel
post Nov 13 2009, 04:36 PM
Post #18

Jacen the Robot Floatzel
Group Icon

Member No.: 4 066

Robot Pokemon

For the Beauty and the Beach, I just want to say that in many cartoons, the characters wear those coconut bras and those hawaiian skirts, incuding the men,, why could'nt 4Kids just do that

For the Dratini Episode, many kids cartoons have guns, even Looney Tunes, LOONEY TUNES FOR GODS SAKE! And they could have hust taken out the guns and make that "Stop right there or we'll shoot with our invisible guns" thing that they would do with Yu-gi-oh

Everyone blames Porygon for the seizures, but really, Porygon is innocent, Pikachu is the real culprit, as he blew up those missiles, yet, nintendo could not blame Pikachu because he is the star of the show, this is one of the main reasons why I hate that yellow rat, now really, I don't have a problem with Pikachu as a species, just THAT PARTICULAR PIKACHU, THE ONE OWNED BY ASH KETCHUM!!!!!!!!!

Also, I do not htink Jynx is racist, it's Al Kahn, 4Kids CEO who's the racist, he is a racist, he even admits that he hates the Japanese, he says "they were our enimies in world war 2, we can never trust them" then WHY ARE YOU DUBBING ANIME, 4Kids did the same in an episode of One Piece with the black kid, luckily, as of 2004, with the release of FireReed and LeafGreen, Nintendo redesigned Jynx to make her purple, and the next time Jynx appeared in the anime, she was in her purple new form, TAKE THAT 4KIDS!!!!!!

--------------------

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!

My icon was made by MelNathea on DeviantART
My DeviantART account

Water types are weak against Fire types if they use Thunder as armor. Flareon can use dive and aim for the horn. Then finish it off with False Swipe although it may faint if it uses Endure...but thats just because everyone knows Arbok evolves into Seviper
+Quote Post

Usagi Zakura
post Nov 14 2009, 06:43 AM
Post #19

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Team Awesome

If you ask me Looney Tunes is 100 times worse than the anime.
Most anime which uses guns they underline the fact that they are dangerous.
What if a child growing up watching Looney Tunes found their dad's gun somewhere and figured "yay! this will make my friend's face all sooty!" tries it and.... sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Chu Chu
post Jan 2 2010, 11:55 PM
Post #20

Elite Four
Group Icon

Member No.: 76 449

Active Squad

the dratini one was a bit err... odd. for one thing ash catches like a million tauros at once. then that guy with the gun shoots practicly every person he sees. the porygon episode is cool though. you can watch it on youtube but its in japanese. some have subtitles though. i enjoyed even though i had to read to find out what they were saying.

This post has been edited by Chu Chu: Jan 2 2010, 11:58 PM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:26 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.