Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Let's break the stigma of mental illness together, We exist, we are here and we want to be respected
LucarioGirl
post Sep 29 2017, 07:20 PM
Post #81

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 18 814

Platinum Roster

QUOTE(Gryphaena @ Aug 23 2017, 10:41 AM) *
Hello LucarioGirl!

My second therapist and second psychiatrist both thought I was on the autism spectrum and I think I agree, so I think I can relate to feeling wierd, I too, knew I was different than other people.

I was picked on when I was younger as well.

Instead of OCD and resistant eating, I have depression with psychotic features and am pre-diabetic.

I was only employed once, and I think it was because the people conducting the interview for that job knew me already, so that's why it was so easy.

I also like being on the computer, but I cannot stand an indoors job. I need to be outside working with plants or I'll get bored.

I have to be moving or I start feeling sleepy.

Do you have any people you feel comfortable around?

My clinic was wise enough to start social skills groups for us so we could socialize with other people with mental illnesses.

I was even fortunate to be able to make some shallow friendships who I still see on campus and say "Hi" to.

I am sorry you were once locked in a trunk, that is a cruel thing to do in my opinion.

Thanks. I'm starting to get out a bit more now that I've moved to a new place. Pokemon Go has actually given me the opportunity to talk to people when I wouldn't normally be willing to try. It's a small step, but a step nonetheless.

Also, with the car trunk, I accidentally locked myself in there. I thought it would be a good hiding place for hide-and-seek, and I didn't realize until I was in there that I couldn't get out. I'd also locked the keys in the car with me, but they were on the back seat and I couldn't get them. My brother found me and got the spare keys, thank goodness.

--------------------
Please trade Trinkets with me! If I refuse, I already have it or someone made me a better offer. Bold trinkets I have to get through trades.

October Trinkets: None
December Trinkets: Litten Ornament, Shiny Xmas Rowlett Doll, Shiny Xmas Litten Doll, Salmiakki, Claw Turquoise Birthstone, Shiny Christmas Hat, Golden Mistletoe Heart
February Trinkets: Love for Gardevoir Print, Vapcargo Sticker, Old Picnic Cloth, Sordid Kimono, Sapphire Valentine Heart, Drive Amethyst Birthstone, Sweet Kiss Plush, Oshawott's Love Pokedoll, Red Dancing Shoes, Alomomo Ring, Cupido Clefable, Heart Shaped Electrode, Entei Heart
April Trinkets: Easter Egg Garland
July Trinkets: Firework Dud
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Gryphaena
post Oct 29 2017, 02:29 PM
Post #82

She Who Can Be Voracious
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 79 103

My Purple Ones

I don't know too many people who are still playing Pokemon Go, but it must be great exercise!

I hope everyone's experiences throughout the year are mostly positive.

I'm coping with grief by writing.

There was a day three weeks ago when I felt inspired and wrote poems for some of my Facebook people.

That was fun!

May I ask what coping strategies you use?

--------------------
+Quote Post

LucarioGirl
post Oct 29 2017, 11:21 PM
Post #83

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 18 814

Platinum Roster

I usually just try to stay away from anything that might set me off. It's hard, though; the biggest things are food smells and small children. That's part of why it was so difficult to get a job back in my old hometown; it's a small town, and pretty much everyone's first job was at the grocery store.

I'm an extremely picker eater because when I smell something, I also taste it a little, and I usually don't like it. I'm even nervous about trying new foods that don't smell. Touching food that I don't acknowledge as mine, even if it's wrapped up, sends me running to the bathroom to scrub my hands afterwards. And dirty dishes that aren't mine are a nightmare.

Kids are the absolute worst; no matter how far away I try to get, I can usually still hear them. The only coping mechanism I have isn't a very good one; I plug my ears as hard as I can and mutter to myself. Usually it's the mean things I want to say to the parents, but I can't because it'd be mean; things like 'shut that thing up'. Their voices are just physically painful to me until they hit puberty. And it's not just crying; even kids talking normally hurts.

On another note, why is it that when you say you hate kids, everyone looks at you like you're crazy? I hate kids because, intentionally or not, their presence is painful for me.

This post has been edited by LucarioGirl: Oct 29 2017, 11:24 PM

--------------------
Please trade Trinkets with me! If I refuse, I already have it or someone made me a better offer. Bold trinkets I have to get through trades.

October Trinkets: None
December Trinkets: Litten Ornament, Shiny Xmas Rowlett Doll, Shiny Xmas Litten Doll, Salmiakki, Claw Turquoise Birthstone, Shiny Christmas Hat, Golden Mistletoe Heart
February Trinkets: Love for Gardevoir Print, Vapcargo Sticker, Old Picnic Cloth, Sordid Kimono, Sapphire Valentine Heart, Drive Amethyst Birthstone, Sweet Kiss Plush, Oshawott's Love Pokedoll, Red Dancing Shoes, Alomomo Ring, Cupido Clefable, Heart Shaped Electrode, Entei Heart
April Trinkets: Easter Egg Garland
July Trinkets: Firework Dud
+Quote Post

Gryphaena
post Oct 30 2017, 08:09 AM
Post #84

She Who Can Be Voracious
Group Icon

My Purple Ones

Oh man, thank you for sharing, LucarioGirl.

It must be frustrating to have a section of the population be painful to you.

Would it help if you bought earplugs, maybe?

I have some that are supposed to decrease decibels by 25 decibels.

The brand is http://www.howardleight.com/

I've worn my earplugs at work and whenever any place I'm in is beginning to stress me out with noise.

It's working for me so far.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Beauty Shannon
post Nov 13 2017, 04:29 AM
Post #85

Perfection is nine tails and red eyes.
Group Icon

Member No.: 83 729

Mascara Massacre.

I'm glad to see some awareness of this going around, I struggle with it myself.

I was a victim of domestic violence from birth until I was about 15 and it left me with some pretty bad emotional scars that I kept pretending didn't exist until the symptoms got nasty. I've always struggled with depression (not in the sadness of life sense, more of a laziness and procrastinating form) and severe anxiety because of it but I started to have pseudo seizures from the anxiety so I finally had to see a doctor.

I have a service dog who I bought and raised as a puppy who responds to my seizures, performs various odd tasks to help with my disability symptoms (blocking strangers from bumping me, guiding me to my car when I forget where I parked, reminding me to take pills etc) and he helps my anxiety by just being there as well.

Another symptom of mine is always feeling the need to justify myself, so although I'm glad that he's here to help me live my life easier, sometimes I also want to just leave him home because I don't like admitting to strangers that I have "anxiety" because it's a word so commonly thrown around and used. Everyone has "anxiety" today, so the people who are just stressed out have no idea what it's really like to have heart palpitations, ice cold blood and the feeling your stomach gets when you're on a roller coaster but at any given moment. They don't understand what it's like to be plagued by so many thoughts and emotions at once that you can't even remember which way you came into the mall or where your car is in a 5 story garage. They don't know what it's like to not be able to hold a conversation on the phone without freezing up and getting more and more petrified the longer you sit in silence because you realize it's awkward and embarrassing but you can't remember what to say or how to talk. I'm sure most people just think I'm being a baby and taking advantage of the system when they hear that I have a service dog for anxiety, but when I'm able to hear and see everything around me but I can't talk or communicate because I'm in my own nightmare of flailing and odd gasping sounds, he's very needed.

--------------------
ascaraassacre

Lanore |Volcom | Frightmare | Loki | Helsing | Sionna

+Quote Post

Gryphaena
post Nov 13 2017, 01:26 PM
Post #86

She Who Can Be Voracious
Group Icon

My Purple Ones

Hello Beauty Shannon, thank you for sharing a slice of your story.

I am glad that there are fellow users here who feel comfortable using this thread and I hope we can all support each other.

Thank you for the picture of you and your service dog as well!

I do not think I have anxiety, although, there was one time when my heart was beating amazingly fast and I didn't know what was going on. Perhaps that was a mini panic attack?

I'm glad that you are receiving some help you need.

Shame on those people that pretend to have a service dog or therapy dog, I think they just help spread suspicion to everyone else who has a documented need for them.

I don't disclose my health conditions to everyone around me either but sometimes I start stimming and I've let classmates that I think will be understanding know.

--------------------
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 05:01 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2017 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.