Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Nightmare Fuel, Pokemon is full of it. Here's some of the bad stuff.
COBRALALALALALA
post Mar 8 2010, 03:28 AM
Post #1

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 4 279

Q-Ts

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Nigh...tlei015gc004kw4

Go ahead, just skim that link. You guys remember that fun game/tv show/manga where these cute little pokemon had battles and -

Battles. Let's pause on that one for a moment now. Pokemon can die, this is well-known. So, here's a terrifying tidbit: Pokemon, even babies, are so loyal to their masters that they will fight until they black out. They will keep fighting even if they have been burned alive, almost drowned, been hacked up, and so on... just for their owner's amusement. Then, after they faint, they will be dragged out to fight and experience terrible pain time after time. It's not such a cute concept anymore, is it?

Then you have the moves themselves. Think about it. Slash. Dream Eater. Any other move. Let me just quote a few things from that link I just gave you guys.
"[I] was deeply disturbed by the fact that the ghost version of Curse involved the user shoving a nail, slowly, into its own face, then doing the same thing to its opponent."
"Dark Void. A move that, supposedly, puts you to sleep For All Eternity when combined with Darkrai's ability. And Darkrai causes nightmares accidentally! So let's say that you're a trainer with insomnia, and you have your Darkrai help you fall asleep. Suddenly, you are sucked into a demonic hellscape that you can only wake up from if Darkrai leaves. Thing is, your Darkrai, EVER so loyal, stays by your side until you wake up, which is never."
"Any one hit KO move. Being sliced in half (Guillotine), dieing from hypothermia (Sheer Cold), being drilled into (Horn Drill) and falling in a near endless abyss (Fissure). "

And that's not even getting started. And here's another point:

[I am] amazed that this question hasn't been asked: How in the hell do the researchers fill out these Pokedexes? You have Houndoom (whose flames inflict never-ending pain), Nidoking (whose tail is able to snap an opponent's spine with ease), Haunter (whose lick attack can have someone shake to death), Froslass (she ices her victims as trophies), Spoink (if it stops hopping, its heart stops beating) Dusknoir (it sends souls to the spirit world) and and countless other creatures that have been named on this page. Moreover, most of these descriptions aren't think you'd reasonably expect to see in nature. So again, I have to ask: How do the professors learn all of these things about Pokemon? Could the likes of Oak, Elm and Ivy be the Nightmare Fuel of the Nightmare Fuel?

Someone commented: Why do you think they recruit ten year old kids to help them? No one else is gullible enough.

So, why? Why is it never touched upon about just how very sick and horrifying the whole concept is? I think the only time someone pointed it out was in the first Pokemon movie. And apparently they got a whiff of amnesia because they forgot the whole point.

If Pokemon hasn't become sick on a whole new level for you, you are a braver person than I.

Thoughts?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

The Red Ghost
post Mar 8 2010, 08:37 AM
Post #2

The Ninja Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 56 686

Tsurugi Squad

Charizard, use Flamethrower!

--------------------

Credit (click to show)

+Quote Post

todedilelover
post Mar 8 2010, 10:29 AM
Post #3

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 88 191

Active Squad

Lol who cares? It's not real, they don't feel pain

--------------------

^Click the Tauros to go to my party!
+Quote Post

Elito
post Mar 8 2010, 11:06 AM
Post #4

My life's a theater.
Group Icon

Member No.: 50 181

MonoPoison

Its just an anime, it isn't supposed to be realistic. I dont know how you guys take all this so personally. Sure, there are some things that are dumb, but its just a game, fun, no need to think about it so deeply. cat.gif

--------------------

x
+Quote Post

Dar Ksereth
post Mar 8 2010, 11:59 AM
Post #5

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 3 614

My favorite party

after reading that... i wanted to pit my happiny against a charizard "wry so srs?"

in all seriousness, it's a game, i see you complaining about this, but why don't you complain about the thousands of innocents gutted, ripped or zombified in games like god of war, dead rising or resident evil? oh that's right, they are naught but data on a disc, which by the way never dies (unless you take really bad care of that data) so pokemon, too, never die, or at least the ones you caught, seeing how every other pokemon you beat, albeit only "fainting", will never, ever again be seen.

when you take things seriously, shit gets real pal, so don't trouble your mind as much, and just train your pokemon, kay?

--------------------
The One and Only

Viral

you are compelled to poke them.
+Quote Post

COBRALALALALALA
post Mar 8 2010, 03:33 PM
Post #6

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Q-Ts

Oh no, this isn't something that's gonna scar me forever... that, frankly, would be dumb. I still love the game and the show, it just seems sorta sick to me, now. Since this game is meant for children and it's all treated in such a happy way...

XD It's like a game where you go around and have this guy rape people in a sense. The reason why I'm not complaining about the god of war games and such is because they aren't meant for little kids, they aren't meant to be cute, and they aren't really meant to be innocent. =V If it was just a game, then I could see how the main character is actually a sadist, but since it's an anime, too... this line just keeps popping up in my head.

"Hey, Ash. Looks like your friend is still here."
"Alright, Turtwig, use Energy Ball!"
"Now use Gust!"
"Bye, see you all later! *waving at the terrified Gligar flying away*"

It's like, in context, it's a little less stupid, but... XD This is how Ash treats his friends! Homicidal tendencies, yay!

Personally, I'm a person that believes in looking into things a bit deeper. Doesn't mean I don't love it still, but, yeah, my opinion for it changes. And, frankly, Pokemon has horrified me since I was, like, 5. I just wanted to see if anyone else thought the concept was sick.

Some people look into Silent Hill and try to find out exactly what's going on, who the enemy is, why you're doing this, and so on. I just do it with Pokemon. =V

This post has been edited by Zovesta: Mar 8 2010, 03:36 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Smeargle Guy
post Mar 8 2010, 04:17 PM
Post #7

Smeargle Lover
Group Icon

Member No.: 87 480

Active Squad

*facepalm* I knew this thread was going to be bad news when I saw the tvtropes link.

Jeeze. It's not a big deal, they just say that to make the pokemon sound dangerous.

Even in a realistic sense it's not too improbable. I mean hell, I've read books/info cards about how some animals are 'supposedly' anti-human killing machines. Emphasis on the 'supposedly'.

--------------------

Signature made by Riversong of Serebii. If you see anyone besides me or Chiper12 of Serebii using it, then that is art theft.
+Quote Post

Xal
post Mar 8 2010, 05:39 PM
Post #8

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 65 113

PANE Party

To the critics of this thread, you are aware that some things aren't meant to be taken seriously, right?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Dar Ksereth
post Mar 8 2010, 06:47 PM
Post #9

Gym Leader
Group Icon

My favorite party

QUOTE(Smeargle Guy @ Mar 8 2010, 04:17 PM) *
*facepalm* I knew this thread was going to be bad news when I saw the tvtropes link.

Jeeze. It's not a big deal, they just say that to make the pokemon sound dangerous.

Even in a realistic sense it's not too improbable. I mean hell, I've read books/info cards about how some animals are 'supposedly' anti-human killing machines. Emphasis on the 'supposedly'.

this, did you know there are spiders/ants that can kill you in less than a minute? and you still live happily in this world, the same but with pokemon

QUOTE(Xal @ Mar 8 2010, 05:39 PM) *
To the critics of this thread, you are aware that some things aren't meant to be taken seriously, right?

but of course pal, i don't take many things seriously, this thread, nor pokemon for the matter.

and at TS, have you ever wondered where they get those delicious meaty burgers from, i havent seen cows on pokemon... but quite a good amount of tauros, now what do you say we go to KFT, kentucky fried torchic eh?

(i loled while writing this btw)

--------------------
The One and Only

Viral

+Quote Post

COBRALALALALALA
post Mar 8 2010, 07:43 PM
Post #10

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Q-Ts

"now what do you say we go to KFT, kentucky fried torchic eh?"

XD Ok, I lol'd at that.

My problem isn't about them eating pokemon or pokemon being killers... it's that pokemon are forced into fighting. It reminds me of dog fighting waaay too much. It isn't real, but the people that made it are, and the people that watch it are. Aware of it or not, people are influenced by these sorts of things.

'Sides, this isn't a thread about banning pokemon or whatever. It's about discussing the sicker levels of pokemon.

--------------------
+Quote Post

The Letter W
post Mar 8 2010, 08:14 PM
Post #11

Smo-o-o-oth
Group Icon

Member No.: 79 571

Six Survivors

I guess since they have the technology to cure their broken bones in an instant, it's a-okay.

--------------------
Hella.

Click the dancing Maxwell to visit my art thread.

+Quote Post

COBRALALALALALA
post Mar 8 2010, 08:48 PM
Post #12

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Q-Ts

QUOTE(Unholy Shadow @ Mar 8 2010, 07:14 PM) *
I guess since they have the technology to cure their broken bones in an instant, it's a-okay.

Eh, true... but still, it's pretty sick. Do they give them drugs so they don't feel anything or something?

--------------------
+Quote Post

The Letter W
post Mar 9 2010, 12:15 AM
Post #13

Smo-o-o-oth
Group Icon

Member No.: 79 571

Six Survivors

QUOTE(Zovesta @ Mar 8 2010, 05:48 PM) *
QUOTE(Unholy Shadow @ Mar 8 2010, 07:14 PM) *

Eh, true... but still, it's pretty sick. Do they give them drugs so they don't feel anything or something?

I don't think so, since they still cry out in pain when they're stricken. MAYBE LOYALTY OVERCOMES PAIN.
Idk.

--------------------
Hella.

Click the dancing Maxwell to visit my art thread.

+Quote Post

COBRALALALALALA
post Mar 9 2010, 12:30 AM
Post #14

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Q-Ts

XD Well thanks for at least not going with the generic "Dun think too hard about it , cause that causes brainhurt" response.
Yeah, so... I mean, Pokemon are aggressive, we all know that. But gawdamn... it's not like each and every one is going to be so aggressive that they are going to kick until they faint. >_> The thing that gets me is that it's for fun. No other reason. At all.

--------------------
+Quote Post

bloodyego
post Mar 9 2010, 01:10 AM
Post #15

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 7 109

Active Squad

With all the horrifying crap going on in the world I don't think a pokemon dodging rainbows and skipping through flowery fields would sell very much.

--------------------

Spare a click?
+Quote Post

COBRALALALALALA
post Mar 9 2010, 02:01 AM
Post #16

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Q-Ts

bloodyego: How very true.

So... Spongebob, Fairly Odd Parents... how are they still going?

--------------------
+Quote Post

Dazmi
post Mar 9 2010, 02:16 AM
Post #17

Veteran
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 2 482

Active Squad

QUOTE(Zovesta @ Mar 8 2010, 02:28 AM) *
So, why? Why is it never touched upon about just how very sick and horrifying the whole concept is?

This is because it's not.
You're just trying to analyze it in a way that seems wrong.

--------------------
+Quote Post

COBRALALALALALA
post Mar 9 2010, 04:14 AM
Post #18

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Q-Ts

Adorable things fight with attacks such as Surf, Guillotine, Flamethrower, and Sheer Cold for the amusement of people. How is that not bad?

--------------------
+Quote Post

Dar Ksereth
post Mar 9 2010, 07:14 AM
Post #19

Gym Leader
Group Icon

My favorite party

QUOTE(Zovesta @ Mar 9 2010, 04:14 AM) *
Adorable things fight with attacks such as Surf, Guillotine, Flamethrower, and Sheer Cold for the amusement of people. How is that not bad?

so very adorable innit?

Spoiler (click to showhide)

but when you think about it, barely no pokemon has opposed to fight, pikachu throws thunders left and right, charizard refused because he was a lazy piece of awesome, etc etc etc. apparently, fighting is pretty cool, so long as the trainer and pokemon respect each other.

basically, street fighter but with pokemon, ryu and ken are pretty good pals that love to shorykken the shit out of each other.

--------------------
The One and Only

Viral

+Quote Post

COBRALALALALALA
post Mar 9 2010, 05:08 PM
Post #20

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Q-Ts

=V Maybe I'm a little old on the pokemon shows, but doesn't Ash make the pokemon fight even when they don't want to?

... Gligar? =V

Still, you have a point.

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:40 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.