Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Choosing the right Pkm?, your reasons
pinkriffic
post Sep 26 2012, 05:15 PM
Post #1

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 172 848

Active Squad

I was just wondering whether I'm alone on this, or whether other people pick Pokemon based on the design and nothing else, or for another reason apart from stats.

E.g.:

Dragonair > Dragonite
- why did an elegant, snake-like dragon suddenly sprout wings, antennas and turn orange? Slap an everstone on it at Lvl 54 :/

Emonga
- rubbish stats except speed, over-used mouse design electric pokemon, but it's too cute not to have.

Does anyone else do this? Also, do you ever get a Pokemon that you just feel doesn't get enough love?

Tentacool. No one wants a Tentacool. Or even worse... Mr. Mime.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

ShrapnelStars
post Sep 26 2012, 06:39 PM
Post #2

Well, I wish I'd wished you well
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 4 143

Let Us In

I never want to evolve my Gibles and Gabites because they're too cute and I'm not that keen on Garchomp. I don't want to evolve my Meowths, either, even though Persian looks fine to me. Ever since the start of Gen IV, I've kept my Spheals unevolved because of how cute it is, and I like to have a Dunsparce with me during postgame because I love them despite their unpopularity. (They tend to be quite strong once you teach them Poison Jab.)

It's rare that I like an unevolved form more than an evolved one, but it does happen occasionally.

I only care about stats during story mode, and after that, the only stats I pay that much attention to are Defense, Special Defense, and HP so that I don't get knocked out in one hit. Even with that, I've been breaking myself of being obsessed with the numbers and just using the Pokemon I want because I like them. Any Pokemon can knock out any other if you use the right moves and held items.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Myuberry
post Sep 26 2012, 06:55 PM
Post #3

Mew is the only pokemon <3
Group Icon

Member No.: 155 005

MEW

I choose Pokemon based on power, usefulness, and last evolution design. I love Dragonite. The only time when I would stop a Dragonair from evolving is if it's shiny.

--------------------

+Quote Post

LuciferMorningst...
post Oct 21 2012, 05:36 PM
Post #4

Fallen1
Group Icon

Member No.: 84 917

The Army

I tend to choose based on how well appearance wise they fit a nickname I have in mind but I also often take into account what they learn and how long it takes them to learn it.
+Quote Post

Quomimi
post Oct 21 2012, 05:41 PM
Post #5

Nerd
Group Icon

Member No.: 101 034

Babys <3

I usually pick Pokemon based on what I personally like, such as- For my team, I need atleast Flying and Water along with some other Base Types and Extra Types. Let's say I'm looking for Flying in Kanto. I wouldn't pick Fearow, I would most likely pick Pidgeot. Or, if I get the chance, one of the legendary birds.

Or, by their levels. I recently got a high level Magnemite over trade. Normally, I wouldn't keep a Magnemite in my team. But since it's at such a high level, it's staying in my team.

But if I come across a Pokemon I love, I usually try to beat the game then establish my dream team.

EDIT: I also try to nickname every Pokemon I find. If I can't find a good nickname, I name it Oplop. It's stupid, silly, and makes no sense at all.

This post has been edited by Quomimi: Oct 21 2012, 05:42 PM
+Quote Post

Chrome
post Oct 22 2012, 10:27 AM
Post #6

Catch me if you can.
Group Icon

Member No.: 168 510

Active Squad

I pick Pokemon purely for aesthetic reasons, though it might change. For Black/White, I had to pick Oshawott.
Tepig and Snivy don't catch my fancy, they get uglier with each evolution. Oshawottt too but it's less ugly for me.

I don't really nickname my Pokemon unless I really like them alot.

--------------------

↓ These shiny Pokemon wants you to click these ↓

GPX+ Groups (click to show)
+Quote Post

Giraffe A Laugh
post Oct 22 2012, 12:43 PM
Post #7

That one laughing Giraffe
Group Icon

Member No.: 66 646

Active Squad

hmm.. I never really cared what pokemon I had on my team up until black/white
All that really mattered was that I had as much as a diverse team as possible, and had an hm slave.
Up until those two games, I never bothered with nicknames (unless nuzlocke), nor nature/stats

Since bw/2 have been out though, I always nickname my main team, and when the daycare becomes available to me, I breed them for the right natures, I still don't care about iv's though, just natures xp

I think the only pokemon I could never evolve to its last form is Lairon.
I'm not really sure why, but I think Lairon is just incredibly adorable.

--------------------
+Quote Post

MrFuckUp
post Oct 22 2012, 01:47 PM
Post #8

breathe
Group Icon

Member No.: 80 019

team rocket

I, for one, adore the Tentacool line.
Excellent offensive typing in my opinion, interesting design scheme, and it's also a damn good supporter.
That and it's a mafia pokemon. It is bad-ass.

-----------------------

As for picking the "right" pokemon, I base teams off what gives me more of a challenge.
For my Black 1 run, I picked a team with a huge weakness to Ground- and Fighting- type moves, bar one with a disadvantage to Ice- types. It turned out to be the best in-game team I've ever made.

For Black 2, I'm doing a trio of exceptionally difficult pokemon to raise, bar one which can evolve at any time.

White 1 was a full team, which I regret doing. White 2 was a team of 4, with an incredibly difficult pokemon to raise. But again, it was a challenge worth exploring.

-----------------------

As for not evolving pokemon... I can understand why people wouldn't evolve their team mates, but unless they're just "novelty" pokemon, they're useless in a lot of situations. The evolutions allow for full benefits, but just because they look ugly, doesn't mean they play just as bad. Take Eelektross for example; from a cute little leech into a draconian monstrosity capable of wrecking shit if played right. Sure, it looks ugly, but I find it to be beautiful in battle. That makes it all the better, in my opinion.

-----------------------

As of B/W 1, I've been nicknaming all my Pokemon save for Platinum because I don't have the last member. I went from random gimmicky names to full out Irish themes for all my teams. Masterpieces, if I do say so myself.

-----------------------

Emolga is a flying squirrel, not a mouse. A FLYING SQUIRREL.
It is NOT a Pikachu Clone. Plusle and Minun are.
If anything, it's a Pachirisu with wings.

--------------------
"something will go here"

+Quote Post

Dragonwish2
post Oct 22 2012, 10:25 PM
Post #9

Take a story and craft it well...
Group Icon

Member No.: 63 755

PANE Team

When it comes to the 'right' Pokemon, I think it depends on opinion and personality. I typically dislike poison types; they all just seem ugly or incredibly disadvantaged to me, except maybe Bulbusaur. I love Pokemon like Riolu and Ralts, even though they're usually harder to get. Some I love simply for a certain abundance of memories attached to hem; I first played Emerald, and therefore like Hoenn Pokemon generally better than others.

Team wise, however, I usually go by what types are practical and easy to get at the right times. My first Black team had a main Darmantan and Zebstrika, but post game, they got replaced by my new Milotic and Dragonite, two Pokemon I love but can rarely get my hands on.

I plan to make my Black 2 ten either full of challenging Pokemon or my top favorites. I may even *gulp* choose tepig. I'm now tempted to buy extra copies (or the opposite games fromthe same gen) of my games and choose the last team I'd ever have and just go with it. A totodile HG, a chimchar Diamond, and a Tepig white. It might be fun.

However, one things for sure; I'm having a riolu on my black 2 team!

--------------------
Pane (click to show)

Percentages and Truths (click to show)
+Quote Post

ShadowMightyena
post Oct 24 2012, 09:32 PM
Post #10

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 101 678

Favorite Pokemon

I rarely let Dragonair evolve and my shiny one will never see dragonite. I train Pokemon based on appearance and power. Most of the time even if a Pokemon is considered weak I will try to make it work on a team and every now and then it does.

--------------------

[/url]
+Quote Post

s09076
post Nov 14 2012, 03:25 AM
Post #11

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 181 207

My Love

Pikachu. I wont give it a thunderstone

--------------------
There are bad ways to win and good ways to lose. What's interesting and troubling is that it's not always clear which is which. A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...——Grimsley
+Quote Post

Yamper
post Nov 14 2012, 09:47 AM
Post #12

Axew and Volcarona enthusiast
Group Icon

Member No.: 61 211

Invisible Kyurem

I just choose stuff on personal tastes and typings. Mostly typings though.

If I have a Water type on my team, I wouldn't get an Ice Type. Why? Because pretty much every Water Pokémon can learn Ice Type attacks.

Although there are 2 I must have on my team in bw2, Volcarona and Haxorus. No choice about it lmao. Majority of my teams involve a Water, Flying and Ground type. The ones I've only recently started having are Bug and Dragon (I've never really bothered with them until now) and then something else to cover other weaknesses. Usually something which can take a few hits and knows a Fighting type move or two (not necessarily a Fighting type Pokémon itself)

--------------------

Don't forget to love yourself.
Add me for daily clicks: 873/1000

[align=center]---

Community Thread Shiny List!

---[/align]
[align=right]Breeding Incentives: Mission Cards
[/align]
+Quote Post

Ford Prefect
post Jan 2 2013, 03:58 PM
Post #13

Windows Apologist
Group Icon

Member No.: 97 629

Active Squad

Timburr is fantastic but I hate the designs of it's evolved forms for some reason. I have a shiny timburr I am never evolving because of that xD
I usually decide on what poison types I use because of what is easier to get and evolves sooner. I don't know why but I don't like waiting a long time to evolve a pokemon during the story of the game. After I beat it I get all the best pokemon or my favorites and level them up and use whichever I like more.

This post has been edited by Aishling chan: Jan 2 2013, 04:02 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

BarkingChaos
post Jan 20 2013, 02:43 PM
Post #14

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 112 100

Sandshrew Army

I pick pokemon that I like. I don't battle online or anything so as long as the stats are high enough to deal with the elite 4, it has a chance of being on the team. But again, I have to like the design. Unfortunately, since I generally like flying and water types, my team gets OWNED by electric teams irritated.gif
+Quote Post

Tazii
post Jan 20 2013, 03:22 PM
Post #15

Tikk Tokk
Group Icon

Member No.: 39 543

A Taste of The Fury

Seeing as I never battle others, excluding a few close friends, I base my teams around pokemon I love instead of which is more powerful. I do, however, spread out typing. It usually works out for me because my favourites of each gen tend to be spread out anyway. It was a pain playing through White with a Liepard. Even though she's gorgeous, she's pretty useless in battle.

I adore Zubats, so I don't like evolving them. That works out fine seeing as I never have them in my actual team, unless in a Nuzlocke.
I love Wartortle too and hate evolving it, but I never have them in my party either. I always choose Charmander first and Kingler usually takes my water spot in the first Gen games.
The only pokemon I don't evolve that I try to have in my team is Haunter. I love Ganger, I just adore Haunter more. It's one of my all time favourite pokemon, so I can't bring myself to do it, even if Haunter is much weaker than Ganger.
I don't like the Gen 4 evolutions of past generations (except Honchkrow. I adore Honchkrow). I refuse to evolve my Rhyhorns, Electibuzz, and Magmars. It's probably why I love Gen 5 so much, because they didn't add anything to the past gens.

Other than those few, I don't have any trouble with evolving or not evolving.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Sora the Pikachu
post Jan 20 2013, 03:48 PM
Post #16

Sora the Pikachu
Group Icon

Member No.: 174 779

Leafgreen Nuzlocke

I catch Pokemon based on Final Evolution Design and if they are a type I don't already have. I usually evolve all of my Pokemon because I have a bad habit of making them faint all the time. My only exception is Shieldon, because Bastiodon looks ugly, in my opinion.

This post has been edited by Sora the Pikachu: Jan 20 2013, 03:48 PM

--------------------
Yep, I'm Serious. srsbsns.gif
I am infecting all of the Game Forums! Mwa ha ha ha!

Organization XIII (click to show)

Oh, yes. I own monocle.gif emoticon. monocle.gif
Other Stuff (click to show)
+Quote Post

LemonWeenie
post Jan 23 2013, 09:54 PM
Post #17

Lemon Weenie
Group Icon

Member No.: 29 831

MY BUDS

I really like a lot of Pokemon because of the designs and not stats. Sometimes they have nice designs AND great stats, sometimes they don't!

I actually love Dragonite. It is so cute and fat.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Amberfunk
post Jan 23 2013, 10:33 PM
Post #18

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 105 850

Beautiful Change

I pick based on if I like the pokemon itself. If I don't like it then I most likely won't use it. After that then I consider move pools and somewhat balance on the team.

--------------------

Credits (click to show)
+Quote Post

PheonixGRX
post Mar 6 2013, 10:40 AM
Post #19

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 38 264

Active Squad

For me, a pokemon would have to suit my character, and my style at the time. On Soul Silver, I had a Ratticate on my team, not because he was useful or anything, but because at the time, I was going through nicknames, and based them on what I thought was fitting, so Fang worked for him.

Other times, I think of a pokemon I just love, and must have it. I love Dragonite, yet Dratini is rather weak when you get him in most games (when early on) yet I will put up with it happy.gif

--------------------
Help Bring back an old pokemon manga, visit and like this page HERE!

Join in on the adventure, and help decide our characters fate. Click HERE!
+Quote Post

LiepardTrainer
post Mar 7 2013, 10:30 PM
Post #20

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 192 545

Active Squad

I choose my team based on what my favorite Pokemon are, and their design. I will try my best to work around them to create a diverse team with different move sets. If I need a Pokemon that knows a certain HM (like fly) then I will substitute one until I reach my destination, then substitute again.

choosing my teams:
1st - Favorite Pokemon
2nd - Design
3rd - everything else

--------------------
Unova Fan! Love the PokeCats and PokeMustelids!
6 Favorite Pokemon in order: Watchog, Liepard, Patrat, Dewott, Mienfoo, Mienshao
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:58 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.