Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
December Events, We're finally nearing the end of 2020
Zerxer
post Dec 7 2020, 11:36 PM
Post #1

Zerkadelic
Group Icon

Group: Root Administrators
Member No.: 2

My Favorites

From all of the staff here, we truly hope you're all having a safe and wonderful holiday season, making the most of what is possible as the global pandemic continues to cause us to pause most of our personal yearly traditions. To those who have been hit especially hard in any way, our hearts go out to you.

Normally when I make this post, I comment how I can't believe it's already December again and that I always feel like time is moving so fast by how frequently I have to do this. This year, however, hits far different. It feels like it's been ten years since last December, back when we were reflecting on the closing of the decade. So far this decade has been off to a very bumpy start.

It hasn't been ten years, though... It's only been one! You know what was ten years ago? The release of Pokémon Black & White, bringing with it the 5th generation of Pokémon and the Unova region.

It's interesting to look back at what the Pokémon franchise, and our site, were like then. Unova was the first new region to come after GPX launched in 2009. It was also the last set of games to not have a worldwide release date, having released in Japan in September 2010 and then not in North America until March 2011!

Because of this, we were able to start adding in the new Pokémon immediately as we were getting data from the Japanese release. We were very careful about spoilers for players in other regions who didn't want to immediately be exposed to the new Pokémon, so we had a setting to hide them site-wide, and we had a new section called the Dream World for obtaining them. We even came up with new vouchers – all of the "Plus" vouchers – with them being special in that they included 5th gen, while the original vouchers would never contain them. It's kind of funny looking back at that, because we use the Plus vouchers for everything now, including new Pokémon as they come out (thanks to worldwide releases), yet we still have those old vouchers lying around that only contain generations 1 thru 4. We even held a contest where the first 5 users to unlock some new achievements won a free copy of Black/White!

Sorry for the long story, I'm a really nostalgic person and am getting old. Let's get on with the event timeline!

The Hanukkah event
  • Begins: Tuesday, December 8th at 11:55pm EST (site reset), which is tonight, two nights before Hanukkah begins.
  • Ends: Sunday, December 20th at 11:55pm EST (site reset), which is two nights after Hanukkah ends.
This is always a favorite, so we're of course running our Hanukkah event. In the past we've given 1 Coin for every egg hatched that met that year's theme. Previous years have included: Fire-types (lighting of candles theme), Generation 1 Pokémon (a nostalgia theme), Generation 3 Pokémon (Pokémon GO theme), and Pokémon that were left out of the Galar region (missing from Sword and Shield).

This year, given everything I said earlier, we will be using Gen 5 Pokémon from Black and White. We're going to limit it to only Uncommon and Rare eggs from Unova.

List of Uncommon and Rare Pokémon from Unova (click to show)

You'll receive 1 coin for every Pokémon egg you hatch from the above list. You'll also earn 20 coins for completing a daily Scavenger Hunt task, which begins at the same time, but only up until the Hanukkah event ends. These coins are completely separate from all other currencies on the site and are used to determine the prizes you win in the end (as well as for Spinning the Dreidel).

Additional information on the Hanukkah event (click to show)

Scavenger Hunt
This month's Scavenger Hunt will also begin on Tuesday, December 8th at 11:55pm EST (site reset) and will end on Friday, December 25th at 11:55pm EST (site reset), but you'll only earn 20 coins for completing a task until the Hanukkah event ends (see above end date and time). So basically it'll run through and end on Christmas night.

Explorations
The two Christmas explorations, "The Twelve Days of Christmas" and "Secret of Christmas", have been activated and will run through the end of the month.

Secret Santa Exchange
Deposits will be open sometime on Tuesday the 22nd and will last thru Friday the 25th, with the exchange itself happening after reset. I will post additional information around that time, but it'll work about the same as previous years.

New Year's Raffle
This will work the same as always: you'll have a day to be as active as possible, and for every 2021 points of Activity Score earned, you'll get one entry. We'll then distribute a certain number of prizes (be it a voucher for a new Pokémon, or something else ... tbd), and you'll have a chance to get one based on the number of entries you earned (you are not guaranteed a prize, regardless of how many entries you earned). More information will come as we near the end of the month.

Quick Update

I may end up moving the Scavenger Hunt dates so that it also begins tonight and ends sooner than the 31st.

12/8: Updated the Scavenger Hunt to begin tonight, the same as the Hanukkah event, and it'll end on Christmas night (site reset) on the 25th.

This post has been edited by Jen: Dec 8 2020, 07:54 PM
Reason for edit: Updated Scavenger Hunt dates

--------------------
Want a rotating avatar like mine? Check out my website: randimg!
Thanks to all of the people in this thread and this thread for the various avatars!

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

The Majestic Mr ...
post Dec 8 2020, 01:04 PM
Post #2

The Green Thunder, Kell of L's, Keeper of Stars
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 212 177

Exuberant

QUOTE(Zerxer @ Dec 7 2020, 11:36 PM) *
Sorry for the long story, I'm a really nostalgic person and am getting old.

You and me both. I remember the days of the summer after Black and White came out were some of my favorite moments I've ever spent with my best friend. I remember we'd spend hours out on his deck playing our DSis until it got late. Hard to believe it's been more than 10 years and so much has changed since then. I remember joining the site in 2013 and when XY mons were added.
But anyway, I likewise won't get all sappy and nostalgic.

I've been away from the site for quite a while, and I'm doing my best to get back into it. I've always loved the Dreidel event and am super excited for it! Glad to hear the Secret Santa is running again, and I've got quite a few spare shinies to throw in there.

And lastly, hope everyone's doing alright. This forum seems a bit less active than I remember, but to those who've stuck around, hopefully your families are safe and doing well. If anyone here knows anyone with the virus I wish them nothing but the best and a speedy recovery. Talks of vaccines are happening now, and while the "normal" so to speak may never truly return, let's hope some semblance of it returns soon.

We're in the final stretch, let's hope next year is better.

--------------------

Light is a spectrum. Why limit yourself to a single hue?

Nintendo 3DS FC: 1950-9577-7656
Switch FC: Mr. L: 5429-0347-5697

PM me if you want to add me. happy.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. L banner made by Luigi Mario
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I'M REALLY FEELING IT!
+Quote Post

Eryth Violet
post Dec 8 2020, 02:43 PM
Post #3

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 16 400

Shiny

My memories of that time on GPX are really fuzzy, but I can vaguely remember the dream world in the shelter. I feel like Blitzle was one of the first I found? It's really cute that the event this year centers on them! (And boy am I glad Munna is included)

--------------------

hi kingis
+Quote Post

Kingis
post Dec 8 2020, 07:47 PM
Post #4

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 89 638

Exploders~ (no pun)

Cannot believe it's December again. Crazy. Happy to see Unova get a special mention this time around, I like how the theme is always different.

I've got really busy recently but we'll see what I can do for the event. Have fun, everyone!

(pS. You missed the bold closing tag at the end of the Scav Hunt edit, heh.)

--------------------

Also helping edit the GPX Wiki, PM me if you have any information that can be added
Spread the positivity! (GPX+ Appreciation Station)
Kormi#1421 @ Discord (click below to join and say hi!)

Shiny list (144) (click to show)
+Quote Post

Rookie Roo
post Dec 8 2020, 09:28 PM
Post #5

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 196 476

Active Squad

I'm just gonna leave this here, if somebody is interested in some more information about the Pokemon for this year's event...

If I'm wrong in something though, please let me know grin.gif

Maturity (click to show)

SWSH (click to show)

Last year, I decided to play it safe with the Dreidel. This time around, I'm gonna go wild with it just to see how it works better for me, even though putting 20+ coins in one go makes me yell from nervousness, lol.
See, this is why I don't bet kids. I'm too afraid of losing to actually try to win.

But ANYWAY, I hope everyone has a nice event, and even nicer days because we deserve those too. Happy December! grin.gif

This post has been edited by Rookie Roo: Dec 9 2020, 08:34 AM

--------------------
Look at friend please cat.gif

If you need Social Network, or if you have it, you might be interested in reading this.

Shinies of 2020: 112 (click to show)

Shinies of 2021: 130 (click to show)

Shinies of 2022 (click to show)

Special Achievements (click to show)

+Quote Post

Cytosine
post Dec 9 2020, 12:06 AM
Post #6

shloop
Group Icon

Group: +Contributor
Member No.: 37 706

swabbies

I love those reflections Zerxer! I also remember black and white coming out, and the dream world was really really exciting. I can't remember the first gen five pokemon I hatched, though I think I could check in the dex?

Looks like it was Woobat. Neat! I remember being super excited for Joltik since that was one of my new faves from the gen. Looks like I got that one third, after Blitzle.

The + vouchers, yes. I've been wondering why they haven't changed lol. And also the dex achievements reference the unova pokemon haha. I do remember when I was playing I wanted to get Unova pokemon, but I was avoiding spoilers on the English names. So I turned the pokemon names to Japanese. I knew all the Unova japanese names, so that's how I was recognizing them, but then I realized I didn't know any of the gen 1-3 names haha. Gen 4 I knew the japanese names because that was the first generation where I kept up with the news and leaks and stuff of a new pokemon generation online as a kid.

Anyway, fun times.

--------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+Quote Post

Darky
post Dec 10 2020, 05:01 AM
Post #7

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 7 680

Active Squad

Ohmygosh, it was so long ago. Goo luck, guys. I barely get any coins , I don't understand how some of you manage to get high numbers, but I am not a fast hatcher and gambler=)
+Quote Post

Amberfunk
post Dec 10 2020, 02:42 PM
Post #8

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 105 850

Beautiful Change

Always fun with the events. Such nostalgia. I loved the dream world and was sad when it shut down.

--------------------

Credits (click to show)
+Quote Post

ThunderMoss
post Dec 10 2020, 09:10 PM
Post #9

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 47 440

Active Squad

The Dream World certainly takes me back to simpler days. But... the simple joy of the site is what drew me back after an extended time away. The pokemon just make me smile as they hatch one after another.

Happy holidays fellow trainers!

Regards,
-TM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Jade
post Dec 10 2020, 10:23 PM
Post #10

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 58 868

My Favorites

QUOTE(Rookie Roo @ Dec 8 2020, 07:28 PM) *
Last year, I decided to play it safe with the Dreidel. This time around, I'm gonna go wild with it just to see how it works better for me, even though putting 20+ coins in one go makes me yell from nervousness, lol.
See, this is why I don't bet kids. I'm too afraid of losing to actually try to win.

But ANYWAY, I hope everyone has a nice event, and even nicer days because we deserve those too. Happy December! grin.gif

Considering you're in lead, I think it's working pretty well for you xD

I'ma be honest, this is my favorite event of the year, and I'm going to try my damndest but I have a feeling there is no way I'm staying in the top numbers with everyone else. I'm gonna do my best though!

I can't wait for the exchange though! I need to decide what to throw in... Can't decide if I wanna do a legendary or a novelty shiny.
Do we know, will shiny summonable legendaries, header events and Ultra Beasts be in the same category?

--------------------
Follow Shay-Shay's flight and he will bring you to a place where eggs and Pokemon need much love.
Shaymin cares, do you?

+Quote Post

Rookie Roo
post Dec 11 2020, 01:28 AM
Post #11

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Jade @ Dec 10 2020, 09:23 PM) *

Not gonna lie, it's been RNGesus blessing me.
I got a lot of Gimmel when betting 30 coins and I was like ?!?!?!
BUT I also saw, in the first day, Enji go from 200 to 17 or something so when I'm in the lead I play it safe and start betting just 4-10 coins. When I'm not in the lead, I just try to not stay behind. After all, my goal is to get a top prize just to prove it to myself that I can, and for that I don't necessarily need to be first place so, yeah.

Like, for example right now I just decided to bet 20 coins to try and get closer to Thunder, and got Nun... Help.

So, my advice? Just go HAM with the Dreidel when you wanna get to a certain point, and once you get to that point, just play it safe, if that makes sense?
I mean, someone else might prefer to just go ham all the way, but again, I'm too chicken for that, lol.

Also, I went into a hatching spree too, so that DEFINITELY helped a lot. Like almost 500 eggs hatched, HELP.

--------------------

If you need Social Network, or if you have it, you might be interested in reading this.

+Quote Post

Professor Eucaly...
post Dec 11 2020, 02:09 AM
Post #12

Not really Australian, but Koalas still bite me.
Group Icon

Member No.: 56 534

GODSQUAD

Merry Holidays, GPX. Thanks to all the staff for the work they've put in, especially NOM. I've nearly forgot all the GPX traditions but the gift exchange is kind of a cool thing, I remember doing some kind of legendary trade a long time ago but that was before they were rebirthed as eggs so I was stuck without an eggdex entry. Oh well. I also only have faint recollections of B/W's release on GPX but the spoilery stuff was entertaining.

Oh, the cursed dreidel. At first I didn't want to spin it at all but I'm a sucker for these kinds of things. I'll set the modest goals of spinning every day and breaking even. I'm not the sort to go big and risk 30-something coins though if we get another big multi I'll probably be willing to try at least. We can't be lucky, but we can be grateful. Also I'm glad the dreidel still remembers me from 2012.

Also the Unova theme is cool! It's low-key one of my favorite regions, for all its faults. Who the heck decided Frillish and Golett were uncommon? Unfortunately this selection favors Munna and Venipede... generally for these kinds of events I'd prefer it if there were multiple 2ks/3ks for a bit of variety but I suppose stocking up on fetuses can't hurt. I'm not sure how the prizing system will work but I hope I can still get some cool stuff without supreme dreidel luck. Syncing the Scavenger Hunt is also a cool idea to ensure people who are into that can get a decent coin bounty.

igglybuff.gif simply having a munnaful christmastime cleffa.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Jade
post Dec 11 2020, 04:05 AM
Post #13

Gym Leader
Group Icon

My Favorites

QUOTE(Rookie Roo @ Dec 10 2020, 11:28 PM) *
QUOTE(Jade @ Dec 10 2020, 09:23 PM) *

Not gonna lie, it's been RNGesus blessing me.
I got a lot of Gimmel when betting 30 coins and I was like ?!?!?!
BUT I also saw, in the first day, Enji go from 200 to 17 or something so when I'm in the lead I play it safe and start betting just 4-10 coins. When I'm not in the lead, I just try to not stay behind. After all, my goal is to get a top prize just to prove it to myself that I can, and for that I don't necessarily need to be first place so, yeah.

Like, for example right now I just decided to bet 20 coins to try and get closer to Thunder, and got Nun... Help.

So, my advice? Just go HAM with the Dreidel when you wanna get to a certain point, and once you get to that point, just play it safe, if that makes sense?
I mean, someone else might prefer to just go ham all the way, but again, I'm too chicken for that, lol.

Also, I went into a hatching spree too, so that DEFINITELY helped a lot. Like almost 500 eggs hatched, HELP.

I'm at a 72 coin loss today, so safe to say the dreidel is hating me today xD

I so remember last(?) year I dreideled a lot and it sometimes worked out great - other times I was struggling to just regain my losses.

--------------------
Follow Shay-Shay's flight and he will bring you to a place where eggs and Pokemon need much love.
Shaymin cares, do you?

+Quote Post

The quiet wolf
post Dec 11 2020, 09:11 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 80 437

Naturally there will be cold streaks and I feel reticent myself to gamble unless I have a full 30 coins to spend (so I don't hit a cold streak and prevent myself from getting to the optimal max bet). But based on Nick letting us know the expected value of each spin, it is statistically optimal to spin as often as possible. happy.gif

Like I said this is a do as I say not as I do - I often hold back from spinning every 15 minutes myself even if my stats part of the brain gets mad at the rest of it.

QUOTE(Zerxer @ Dec 20 2019, 03:07 PM) *
QUOTE(jeanmichel @ Dec 20 2019, 04:37 AM) *
Hey!

I would advice against spinning the dreidel for profit as the expected value is 0.875, ie a loss. But if you don't care much about losing more than winning, then spin for fun!

Happy holidays everyone!

It's not a 25% chance for each of the sides. I've actually weighted them.

I sent all the odds of each spin to Raven and we crunched the numbers and it's more like an expected value of 1.20

@Manchee -- one of the prizes for Coins is always a handful of Scratch Cards, and you can get a Dreidel from that. I'll see if we want to put it in the shop at all too though.

edit: The expected value of my next spin was 0 after making this post and I won't hear otherwise wink.gif

This post has been edited by Jon Snow: Dec 11 2020, 09:13 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Rookie Roo
post Dec 11 2020, 10:45 AM
Post #15

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Active Squad

Yeah, I also abuse the Dreidel each time I can, even if it's only 4 coins when i'm feeling like to hide myself behind my own cowardice despite me saying I was wiling to go nuts on the Dreidel.
WHELP.

It's also pretty funny how my left brain is telling me to BET A LOT since you could gain a lot out of it, but my right brain pipes in saying "Oh, but do you want to feel that small feeling of despair when you bet 30 and get Nun?" and I just go :scared hamster meme: and decide to go with 16-18.

I'm not good at bets, and the fact that I'm on the top 3 is just RNGesus loving me for a couple of days (thank you RNGesus!).

This post has been edited by Rookie Roo: Dec 11 2020, 10:47 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Jade
post Dec 11 2020, 11:55 PM
Post #16

Gym Leader
Group Icon

My Favorites

The fact I'm somehow in 11th place shocks me. Because I absolutely am unable to dedicate any real play time I used to in years past. Hopeful goal is to use this weekend to gain some extra ground though.

I spent today dreideling and at the end of the day I broke even LOL I have to wonder if maybe I'm betting incorrectly somehow. RNG is a cruel mistress for me lol

Edit: P.S. Merry holidays everyone <3 Coming onto this site to take place in all the holiday events is one of my favorite yearly traditions and I'm so happy so many of us come together for it every year!

This post has been edited by Jade: Dec 12 2020, 11:55 AM

--------------------
Shaymin cares, do you?

+Quote Post

Ghostium
post Dec 12 2020, 03:06 PM
Post #17

Pokémon Feeder
Group Icon

Member No.: 65 172

woop :)

Man, all that talk about B/W makes me really nostalgic. This site was actually what got me back into Pokemon after missing out on gen 4, and I remember being introduced to that and gen 5 through here. I have a lot of great memories of seeing new Pokemon for the first time after hatching them, and getting excited to use them in game. It's crazy to realize it's been more than 10 years already!

Anyway, best of dreidel luck to anyone who's going after coins! I'm not exactly a skilled gambler so I doubt I'm gonna climb much higher in the ranks, but I'm honestly just having fun being able to hatch a ton of random Unova eggs thanks to all the higher activity. Hope everyone has safe and happy holidays <3

--------------------

+Quote Post

Mystickatt
post Dec 13 2020, 03:33 AM
Post #18

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 100 541

Active Squad

Happy Holidays everyone!

--------------------
+Quote Post

Rabies Girl
post Dec 17 2020, 10:58 PM
Post #19

Pokemon Breeder
Group Icon

Member No.: 69 572

My unexpected SS team

it's been 11 years for me on this site last month. and wow. it has been an amazing time. honestly what makes me most nostalgic is remembering getting that clicker achievement on the old site layout using fire fox to open tabs and starting at 1 in the morning and finished I think at like 11 that night XD I think about that sometimes and am just amazing at how the site has changed and grew and at first I was like "no change!" but now I can't think of it any other way. I remember getting my first shiny RIGHT before the shiny counter came out XD and the excitement of seeing a plain egg in the shelter that told me it was something I never had before. watching team members come and go, marry and pass. its been an adventure and I'm excited to continue it!

good luck to everyone! I myself can never keep many coins for long XD

--------------------
Deviantart

Must hatch/level up! crazy.gif
+Quote Post

AkaruTheYoshi
post Dec 21 2020, 12:07 AM
Post #20

Video Game Nerd Extraordinare
Group Icon

Member No.: 111 128

Favorites

Got as many coins as I could. Man, I remember when Gen 5 first came out on GPX, the separate shelter for new Pokemon, every Pokemon being known only by their Japanese names, seeing all the new sprites...good times.

--------------------

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:37 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.