Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
People ADD/ADHD, Docs Taking Advantage?
shou75
post Aug 11 2010, 08:49 AM
Post #1

Chillin Like a Villain
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 61 630

Burning clouds

Most Newborns and other younglings to even adults nowadays pretty much all have something in common.

They all seem to have ADD/ADHD including myself but when you see a 6 yo Kid diagnosed with It Dont you think that sounds i dont know Retarded?

Since little kids are supposed to be hyperactive yet the doctor insists that you buy them these pills and that they must take it.

Some people might actually do require it (well not require it but yaknow mroe stable)

So doctors giving 6yo kids ADHD pills for them being happy and full of engery?

Does anyone really think this sounds right?

--------------------

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

nirvana
post Aug 11 2010, 10:23 AM
Post #2

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 95 799

Lovely zombis <3

I think they should ban this "medicine".It`s so wrong to try to fix people just becouse they are diffrent mellow.gif Almoust all of these children are fine,but the ones that are sick are the so called doctors...

--------------------
Nobody knows,where they
might end up...nobody knows.: )
+Quote Post

Picanco
post Aug 11 2010, 03:17 PM
Post #3

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 4 847

My Favorites

I imagine some doctors do take advantage of parents that either don't know better, or are being run over by their hyper kids. Parents always have the last word though, so to blame the doctors for doing their jobs and getting more money and never blame the parents is silly. Of course, we expect people like doctors to all be noble people, but the fact is that they aren't and I think parents should research themselves or at least get a second opinion before starting their kids on anything. -shrug- Just my two cents.

I'll agree that it does seem that everyone has ADD these days.

This post has been edited by Picanco: Aug 11 2010, 03:18 PM

--------------------

Claims & Random Stuff (click to show)
+Quote Post

Crystal Shards
post Aug 12 2010, 04:40 PM
Post #4

Iced Out
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 250

Favorites

It depends on how the diagnosis is reached. If the kid is given medication just because (s)he is hyperactive, then yes, I'd say it's not correct diagnostic procedure. But people are using misdiagnoses as proof that ADHD doesn't exist, and it does. There's a significant difference between the way a normal brain works and how an ADD/ADHD brain works, and medicine DOES have an effect on brain activity, especially in the frontal and prefrontal lobes.

It's further confused because of the fact there are different kinds of ADD/ADHD, and the effects on the brain depends on what type of ADD/ADHD there is. It is both the parents' and the doctors' responsibility to understand as much as possible about ADD/ADHD and the different methods of helping someone diagnosed with ADD/ADHD. It is not a matter of willpower or maturity like people make it out to be, if it's really ADD/ADHD.

--------------------
Administrator of Mercury Ice Forums

I click full party even after you switch out Pokemon.

DieHard GameFAN
+Quote Post

imdyinginside
post Aug 30 2010, 09:25 AM
Post #5

Raiden
Group Icon

Member No.: 7 829

Hell on fire

I'm quiet experianced at this topic.. my brother was diagnosed when he was 3.... but it was VERY obvious.. he didn't talk, he could only say "AH GA" till he was 6. His behaviour was crazy, if he didn't want to go somewhere he would lie in the middle of a main road! My nephew has also been diagnosed.... it's also very obvious.. he is 5 now.. and when I see a boy of the same age.... well I can have a convosation with them.. my nephew.... you have to talk like he is 2.... saying things like "more juice? yellow straw?" very basic language or he won't answer.

My brother is now 16.. but you now wouldn't know there is anything wrong. He stutters alot (due to learning speach late) and can only read and write of the age of a 7 year old.. but other than that.. you wouldn't know anything was wrong with him. And he improved so much... without drugs or pills.... but by being in the correct school for him

This post has been edited by imdyinginside: Aug 30 2010, 09:26 AM

--------------------
Raiden: It was never going to work out for me. It even rained the day I was born.
Snake: You've got it all wrong. You were the lightning in that rain. You can still shine through the darkness.

Special Card (click to show)

+Quote Post

Lyrical
post Aug 30 2010, 09:45 AM
Post #6

On the other hand, there are fingers.
Group Icon

Member No.: 92 856

Silver Team

There is a difference between ADD and ADHD. ADD is Attention Deficit Disorder, which I have been diagnosed with ever since 3rd grade, and means that the person who has it has a sever lack of concentration and focus. My grades were horrible because I couldn't sit down and write a little paragraph, or in fact, a sentence; it would take me like three hours just to write like 8 sentences, and days to write a paper. Ever since I got prescribed an ADD drug, I've been able to write more fluently and efficiently, like this.

Now with ADHD, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, is where you are impulsive and do things without thinking, like throwing a bouncy ball at the back of someone's head. They're generally bouncing off the walls and will not talk in a calm quiet voice. Now this I do think is being taken advantage of by doctors, seeing as most 6 year-olds are that crazy. They should at least get them checked when they're 8 years-old (like I was) so that they would know it isn't the little kid fun-loving spirit that is driving them wild.

This post has been edited by Royolis: Aug 30 2010, 09:45 AM

--------------------
~I'm back~

Random Things (click to show)

--
--
+Quote Post

Stratospheric Co...
post Sep 6 2010, 01:05 PM
Post #7

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Group: Restricted
Member No.: 107 360

Active Squad

I do think they take advantage. They don't need this medicine. It's all pshycological. You tell someone that the meds will make them better then they'll think it will, so there brain believes them and it "helps" the child. And that crap isn't cheap.
+Quote Post

WildMareep
post Sep 8 2010, 04:53 AM
Post #8

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 113 158

Active Squad

To be diagnosed properly the patient needs to have shown symptons before the age of 6 I think it is, they must have a certain number of symptons out of a set list which significantly negtaively affect 2 out of social, work, study (I think it is). If the psychiatrist is thorough in the his methods and diagnosis then there should be no problems.

The ethics of some psychiatrists and whether AD/HD is over or even underdiagnose is a whole different argument.

But the definition of a disorder only requires that there are identifiable features that deviate significantly from the mean and which cause demonstrable problems. In fact, for practical purposes it is not necessary to obsess about whether an individual meets criteria for the diagnosis (are they fidgity enough) but rather to focus on whether they are having identifiable problems, and then address those problems.

From http://www.theness.com/neurologicablog/?p=876 puts it quite eloquently.

also from the same blog lol

This brings us to the new study – published in this week’s JAMA, a study by Nora Volkow et al. shows that untreated adults (to rule out the effects of medication) had lower dopamine transporter and receptor activity in key brain regions when compared to typical controls. The results seem fairly robust and confirm what we would predict from our current model of ADHD. So yes, Tom Cruise, ADHD is a problem with brain chemistry.

I'd reccommend reading the whole blog post though, if it's your kind of thing. It's a very interesting read.

Further reading by the same guy
http://www.theness.com/neurologicablog/?p=895
http://www.theness.com/neurologicablog/?p=172
+Quote Post

Rugal
post Sep 8 2010, 02:10 PM
Post #9

What?
Group Icon

Member No.: 76 953

Active Squad

I actually have a real funny story regarding this topic.

Back in the mid 90s I was diagnosed with ADHD, which sorta had this social stigma of "SUCK IT UP AND BE A MAN!" instead of an actual legitimate problem. My parents freaked out and put me on the Ritalin regiment that was common in those days for kids who had social problems. Over the years I was bounced around the entire market of antidepressants and picked up a hilarious tolerance for them as a result. I was diagnosed with mild Aspergers Syndrome when I was 17, which in the end was the real root of the problem and was a tad too late to do anything about my childhood. When I turned 18 the last medication I took was Geodon, which was 180mg a dose, where 100mg could easily kill a normal person. Once I turned 18 I immediately canceled all my prescriptions because my tolerance was just too high for the meds to have any real benefit without grotesque side-effects.

--------------------
Metaphysics explained in simple terms (click to show)
Important info about myself (click to show)
Things I may or may not be directly responsible for (click to show)
+Quote Post

Sarge
post Sep 12 2010, 03:39 PM
Post #10

is one hoopy frood
Group Icon

Member No.: 11 406

Some of my Faves

QUOTE(imdyinginside @ Aug 30 2010, 07:25 AM) *
I'm quiet experianced at this topic.. my brother was diagnosed when he was 3.... but it was VERY obvious.. he didn't talk, he could only say "AH GA" till he was 6. His behaviour was crazy, if he didn't want to go somewhere he would lie in the middle of a main road! My nephew has also been diagnosed.... it's also very obvious.. he is 5 now.. and when I see a boy of the same age.... well I can have a convosation with them.. my nephew.... you have to talk like he is 2.... saying things like "more juice? yellow straw?" very basic language or he won't answer.

My brother is now 16.. but you now wouldn't know there is anything wrong. He stutters alot (due to learning speach late) and can only read and write of the age of a 7 year old.. but other than that.. you wouldn't know anything was wrong with him. And he improved so much... without drugs or pills.... but by being in the correct school for him

This does not sound like ADD/ADHD to me, it sounds like something much more severe. Granted they may have ADD/ADHD along with some other learning disability. I think you're talking about autism.

--------------------
.:: You click; I click. ::.

I'm a college student. Be patient!
==| Sarge uses your Poke'mon's favorite berry |==

yay quizzes (click to show)

+Quote Post

Dochavoc
post Sep 12 2010, 03:47 PM
Post #11

Cookies are your friend. Your delicious friend. NO DON'T EA
Group Icon

Member No.: 106 899

Pokemon Online Team

QUOTE(nirvana @ Aug 11 2010, 10:23 AM) *
I think they should ban this "medicine".It`s so wrong to try to fix people just becouse they are diffrent mellow.gif Almoust all of these children are fine,but the ones that are sick are the so called doctors...

That's what I think.
Just because people are different doesn't mean we have to drug them so they'll become "normal."

--------------------
ლ(゚д゚ლ)
Omg Formspring
NOTE: On hiatus from everything-except laptew, of course. cat.gif
BRONY PRIIIIDE
SEIZURE TIME (click to show)

I feel free...

I am a... (click to show)

Groups Of Awesomeness (click to show)

+Quote Post

WildMareep
post Sep 15 2010, 09:48 AM
Post #12

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 113 158

Active Squad

Just say you have migraines and can't perform very well due to it.
Have arthritis/paralysis/amputee and can't move around very well because of it.
You are short sighted and don't perform very well in your job/social life due to it. (this is without glasses, as that's an aid in the same way medication is for those who have adhd)
Have x which means you can't do normal activity y very well and affects your quality of life significantly.
etc.

Should we not allow medication/other aids for these people so they can perform at their best? As long as it's thoroughly reviewed by their psych idk why you wouldn't give an add kid/adult medication (although sensibly it should be along with behaviour therapy as well), so they don't continue to fall behind in their study, bills, life with their distractability and quit being a danger to themselves, others and quit pissing people off with their hyperactivity.

Just because it's not a visible thing doesn't mean it doesn't have a huge affect on their life. If they can be helped why the hell not, there's so many other things you can't do shit for idk why you wouldn't do stuff for what you can treat.
+Quote Post

roygbiv
post Jan 2 2011, 09:21 AM
Post #13

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 125 915

hg team

i agree medication doesnt work

my cousins have the one my age is hyperactive and never pays attention

the older one is super weired she refuses to do research on pets she cant even get straight c grade card and she is nuttier than me

and guess what they both take medicine

This post has been edited by rileyup: Jan 2 2011, 09:21 AM

--------------------
pokemon white friend code 3096 0916 2525
+Quote Post

coolcat101s
post Jan 15 2011, 11:03 AM
Post #14

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 106 454

Active Squad

There are some doctors who are taking advantage of people in this way, but there are also those who really need the medication like me. I had and still have a lot of trouble paying attention in class, my doctor didn't feel the need to medicate this until 3rd grade when I bit a kid. The medication works for me. I find paying attention much easyer and unless I eat exesive amounts of sugar I'm not very hyper.

--------------------
links and quizes (click to show)

my pokésona (click to show)

thank you ^^ (click to show)

+Quote Post

Last Angel the K...
post Mar 6 2012, 08:01 PM
Post #15

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 140 639

My Party

I personally have ADD and take medicine for it, my grades have gone up noticeably since I began taking the meds. But I'm almost 12, and this definitely tilts my hand (er, opinion).
I think they should WAIT and watch the kid. As you mature you calm down, and half the time the kids don't have anything wrong them and the meds aren't helping. If the symptoms persist over a few years or worsen, yes, by all means put them on medicine. They need to be able to focus in school. But the mis-diagnoses are kind of silly.

--------------------

I'm sorry in advance if I don't make sense sometimes, or ramble, it's a bad habit of mine, and I have mild Autism... sorry! And thank you for being understanding! happy.gif
"Why are you walking away?
Was it something I did?
Did I make a mistake cause
I'm trying to deal with the pain
I don't understand this, is this how it is?
I will try to understand
"
-Sleeping with Sirens, A Trophy Father's Trophy Son
+Quote Post

Dmitri
post Mar 10 2012, 10:28 PM
Post #16

Lecherous Demon
Group Icon

Member No.: 155 791

Team Scourge

Being hyper =/= ADHD/ADD.

Doctors do not prescribe ADD and ADHD medicine just because a kid is hyper or happy(Not saying misdiagnoses do not happen, but, seriously, this seems way overboard how you guys are putting it.). :\
One thing that angers me is when people say things like "Doctors don't diagnose with certainity!" and blah, blah.
Most things like ADD and ADHD are supposed to be diagnosed when the child is young, and I know for an absolute fact they do not have children take medicine just because they get hyper, or whatever you guys think ADD/ADHD is. I personally have ADHD, and was diagnosed when I was six, which is normal.
ADD = Attention Deficit Disorder
ADHD = Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder
It means your attention span is naturally shorter and you cannot, say, sit still for long periods of time. It does NOT mean your hyper, or have more energy. Shut up with that nonsense, please and thanks.

Also
"We should ban the medicine"
What?
It helps people(like myself) function. Without it, I could not sit through school everyday.
I don't really understand by there's something wrong with ADHD/ADD diagnosed people, as the medicine is certainly helpful.
Actually I take offense to how you used "fixing."
Fixing implies there was a problem in the first place. ADD/ADHD is barely considered a problem, as it is hardly interfering with people's daily lives. You seem to be horribly shortsighted on this topic and I highly suggest you do your research before making posts like that.

Also, what.
This entire topic seems highly based on opinion and little fact.

This post has been edited by Narcissistic Cryosphere: Mar 10 2012, 10:31 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

SilverLugia456
post Mar 15 2012, 03:09 PM
Post #17

None
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 102 120

Top Favorites

Now is quite a debate,

To be honest no I don't think medicine should be give at such a early age

Now me for example....when I was little my doctor Diagnosis me as having ADD, and that was because i was very disorganized, i have an attention problem where I couldn't pay attention for a long period of them and so with that my mom was then asked if she wanted me to be put on medicine and she said no....ever since then going through to the 12 grade my school never knew or anything about my ADD cause mom say no need for medicine, she treated me like a normal kid and didn't tell the school cause she knew they would put me into like special classes and stuff and there was no need for it. so yes i kinda think at such a young age there is no need for kids to be put on medicine especially some of the side effects that happen with today's medicines.

--------------------

Visit my youtube Page: SilverLugia345

GPXplus Groups Joined (click to show)

Contest Ribbons and Credits (click to show)
+Quote Post

jayrachi
post Mar 15 2012, 06:25 PM
Post #18

Janitor
Group Icon

Member No.: 133 427

wat

I know little on this subject, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents. 'Cause it seems to me that almost everyone ever has ADD/ADHD, and that to me seems odd.

--------------------
+Quote Post

The Unholy Diver
post May 6 2012, 05:05 PM
Post #19

The asteriotypical one
Group Icon

From: The wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell
Member No.: 161 989

Z's Team (so far)

i think this "adhd" and "add" are complete lies. i have adhd and it SAVED MY LIFE countless times. one example: i was riding my bike. one guy called my name, talking, yada yada.. anyway, when i was looking the other way, i was runnung into a parked truck!!!! without adhd, i wouldn't have looked in time to avoid the truck. that is only one example. i think it's just another way of controlling us. trying to medicate people who have nothing wrong with them. also, adhd is the only reason why i'm as inteligent as i am. it allows me to reflect on my knowledge, analize, synthesize, then make inferinces. it also allows me to explain things that people think of as "irrational" such as magic or religion and explain such scientificly and intermingle scientific facts into such.
ex: definition of magic: a transverse wave or particle similar to light that is able to affect our daily lives
note: i could use more detail, but i want to keep this post short

im not an anti-medicinal person, it's just that medicating someone for their personality is wrong. it's because humans always want everyone to be the same or there is something wrong with them. i would bring a conspiracy theory into this, but i think it's more rational(even though i resent rationality) to say it's a way for doctors to exploit some parents' intolerence. if someone is breaking most rules, don't make up a name for it and blame it on genetics, blame it on our society's inability to teach people right from wrong. going back to the "everyone has to be the same" way of thinking, most of the time bad people are idolized. it has nothing to do with a disorder. adhd is an evolutionary trait that wich, in the real world of nature, would vastly improve survival rate.

"We should ban the medicine"
What?
It helps people(like myself) function. Without it, I could not sit through school everyday

i have adhd and i can sit through school all day with absolutely no medicine. if you are actually interested in school and really want to be worth something, you can make yourself pay attention. i cant sit still in a room for more than 30 seconds without getting up and pacing, but i can still pay attention if i try. (it sortta helps if you have good teachers who give alot of examples and can trail off into real life situations like my teachers)
btw: im in no "special" classes and two, maybe three by next year, accelerated clases!!!!!!!

--------------------
Thanks to the mobile site, I'm back on gpx!

I CAN CLICK BACK NOW

credit (click to show)
+Quote Post

Wanderlust
post May 6 2012, 09:14 PM
Post #20

woot.
Group Icon

Member No.: 163 037

Loyalty Awardees

It really depends. Children have "growth spurt" ages wherein they really are energetic. ADHD may or may not be the case. The problem here is with the doctors checking in on 6 y/o. Try checking the older ones because that is where it is more observable. Children are children.

--------------------

Click them, you must
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 09:33 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.