Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
12 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Homework ? Useful Or Useless
Chu Chu
post Jun 12 2010, 06:06 PM
Post #141

Elite Four
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 76 449

Active Squad

QUOTE(Night Spectre @ Oct 9 2009, 06:14 PM) *
I think it's a lot easier to learn in class.. homework should be optional so only the students that really need to practice more have a chance to. Or we could just study. That separates the serious students from the lazy bums. >>

QUOTE(Lord Raven @ Oct 10 2009, 10:45 AM) *
QUOTE(Suikun @ Oct 10 2009, 11:43 AM) *
Either way, the idea is that if you do your homework all the time then you'll understand the material. I think it's important to have homework.
I believe in optional homework and letting the tests, projects, and papers speak for themselves.

I agree. I for one can remember what we learned in the class without having to write it down on a piece of paper. True it's practice but still.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Ice Charizard
post Jun 29 2010, 06:53 AM
Post #142

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 55 430

Don't argue with me.

For some classes (i.e. band) you need to have homework. Though, I think History and Communication teachers shouldn't give homework.

--------------------
My Party-

Some people are like a slinky.
They really serve no purpose in life,
but they're fun to push down the stairs.

Awards (click to show)

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is a word and not just a blob of text.
+Quote Post

ChocolateVanilla
post Jun 29 2010, 08:41 AM
Post #143

Not LOLing, Laughing Out Loud. :D
Group Icon

Member No.: 24 686

Active Squad

If homework was optional, then why would anyone do it? That's kind of like when your teacher tells you to read the textbook to better understand an in- class discussion, and NO ONE does. Why would you take notes if you aren't going to get credit for it? Student A would probably reason that reading the chapter is just as good as taking notes. Then, they probably wouldn't even do that much.

For a fact, I know i would not have gotten A's if I hadn't done my homework, even if it wasn't counted as part of my grade. In math class, those review problems really are good. Plus, homeowork is a way for teachers to cover more material. Without homework, someone may decide its better to have more in- school time.

I have had crappy teachers, the kind that are too lazy to assign homework. They just go over to the board, mumble some, and then smile as you get out of their hair. And, i learned next to nothing in those classes. Maybe I would understand their lectures (though truthfully, it was a long shot), but the next day, when they try to grow on that idea, my base wouldn't be strong enough.

--------------------
Credit for Awesomely Awesome Pictures (click to show)

+Quote Post

Red Veist
post Jun 29 2010, 12:26 PM
Post #144

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 102 965

Pewter Gym

It depends on what type of homework it is, I always looked at Math and Writing as just busy work but history and science is something that homework is good for.

--------------------
+Quote Post

ChocolateVanilla
post Jun 29 2010, 01:12 PM
Post #145

Not LOLing, Laughing Out Loud. :D
Group Icon

Member No.: 24 686

Active Squad

QUOTE(Red Veist @ Jun 29 2010, 01:26 PM) *
It depends on what type of homework it is, I always looked at Math and Writing as just busy work but history and science is something that homework is good for.

I just finished Pre- Calc, and homework there is fairly challenging. If i came in and hadn't memorized the formulas for taking derivatives of fractions by doing the homework assigned, I would not have done well on the quiz/test. Same for history- unless a student has an awful good memory, it will take a lot more than a couple of glances to memorize names and dates.

Though, it is true that lower grades have a lot more busy work than the higher ones.

--------------------
Credit for Awesomely Awesome Pictures (click to show)

+Quote Post

shou75
post Jul 6 2010, 05:49 AM
Post #146

Chillin Like a Villain
Group Icon

Member No.: 61 630

Burning clouds

Homework is actually a waste of paper and quite useless actually.

Adults and teachers usually tell you that its for practice even though your already in school and you could just practice there.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Cinderella Amber
post Jul 7 2010, 06:44 PM
Post #147

WOOMY
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 1 165

Plushie Collection

Well, I certainly don't like going to school for 7-8 hours just to bring it home with me afterward! But there are sometimes when it's useful; one time in math class, I didn't understand what the teacher was saying but when I looked at the homework, it was easy.

Sometimes it just depends on the subject though. Math and science homework is appropriate, English homework (which is mostly reading a fictional book and answering questions on it) is not. I also don't appreciate how my English teacher made us write rough drafts and essays in one night (this wasn't common, but it wasn't rare either).

In short:
Math and science homework = useful
Everything else = useless

--------------------

Twitch Plays Pokemon has taught me three things:
- Praise Helix
- The PC and the B button are both evil incarnate
- Never bet on Entei

I have claims on Banette... but that should be obvious. wink.gif
+Quote Post

alex554
post Jul 7 2010, 06:46 PM
Post #148

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 30 171

Active Squad

useles, it hurts treez

--------------------

+Quote Post

Darkrai Master
post Jul 30 2010, 03:23 PM
Post #149

Darkrai Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 67 800

Favourites

While I agree with the majority that homework sucks; it isn't entirely useless. Sure, it takes hours to complete, but it hammers in the information needed to pass exams and stuff like that. However, that is only with some subjects. Other subjects (like Art, English, and Geography) have you do stuff that is completly different to what you are doing in class. My English teacher gives my class an essay to do over one night without explaining it and expects us to hand it in the next day.
So, in short; Homework that actually relates to stuff in lessons = Useful
Unrelated homework = Not so useful.

--------------------
-

+Quote Post

Reyo
post Jul 30 2010, 03:37 PM
Post #150

I'm in space...space...spacespace
Group Icon

Member No.: 30 281

space team

QUOTE(Yumie @ Jun 29 2010, 02:12 PM) *
QUOTE(Red Veist @ Jun 29 2010, 01:26 PM) *

I just finished Pre- Calc, and homework there is fairly challenging. If i came in and hadn't memorized the formulas for taking derivatives of fractions by doing the homework assigned, I would not have done well on the quiz/test. Same for history- unless a student has an awful good memory, it will take a lot more than a couple of glances to memorize names and dates.

Though, it is true that lower grades have a lot more busy work than the higher ones.

I always treated my math homework as a test prep. Luckily, most college Math professors have their homework set up to where you do it, and then turn it in any time you want, as long as it's before a certain day, hour, class whatever. What I'd do is, the week or so before the test, start doing the homeworks that had content relevant to the subject matter and finish with the last homework assignment that had to do with the material being put on the test.

There was one test where I failed to do this, and that was the worst test grade I got back out of that semester. What's better is the fact that most of the time, math homework is graded. It's usually the other sciences that have homework, but that homework isn't graded. I think there was one Chemistry class where the homework was graded, and it was an introductory course.

This post has been edited by Reyo: Jul 30 2010, 03:38 PM

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-
+Quote Post

Natsume Reiko
post Jul 30 2010, 04:31 PM
Post #151

Smiting Fundamentalists since the 1980's.
Group Icon

Member No.: 43 334

Active Squad

I can see the use for homework in math and the sciences, but then again most homework is just regurgitating what you gleaned from textbooks to satisfy whatever tests you're forced to take. More often than not I saw it as menial work that didn't really exercise my brain at all. I felt like I was just crapping out whatever the fuck the orofessor wanted to see for the most part. That's not learning at all. That's just giving them what they want to see. If I'm going to show that I have aptitude in subjects I would rather have extensive debates and discussions and why I have the opinions that I do. I learn more from debating and discussing than I would just reading a textbook and puking out the same info in the text on a test if that makes sense.

Sure it's good for rote memorization but it doesn't mean that you actually understand the content that you're learning/testing for. That's a completely different animal there.

--------------------
~~~~Credit goes to Commander Wymsy.

Important info about myself (click to show)
+Quote Post

Stratospheric Co...
post Aug 1 2010, 03:39 AM
Post #152

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Group: Restricted
Member No.: 107 360

Active Squad

QUOTE(Stardust Snorter @ Jul 30 2010, 05:31 PM) *
I can see the use for homework in math and the sciences, but then again most homework is just regurgitating what you gleaned from textbooks to satisfy whatever tests you're forced to take. More often than not I saw it as menial work that didn't really exercise my brain at all. I felt like I was just crapping out whatever the fuck the orofessor wanted to see for the most part. That's not learning at all. That's just giving them what they want to see. If I'm going to show that I have aptitude in subjects I would rather have extensive debates and discussions and why I have the opinions that I do. I learn more from debating and discussing than I would just reading a textbook and puking out the same info in the text on a test if that makes sense.

Sure it's good for rote memorization but it doesn't mean that you actually understand the content that you're learning/testing for. That's a completely different animal there.

Quoted for truth.
+Quote Post

Rumn
post Aug 1 2010, 04:23 AM
Post #153

Cooltrainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 71 933

Raburabu~

Useful! There's subjects that're really work-heavy like maths and physics that if I didn't do homework I would fail the exam...

Yeah pretty much same as ^^

This post has been edited by Rumn: Aug 1 2010, 04:23 AM

--------------------
~*GPX+:*~
~~ ~ ~ ~~
~~ Party Violet Dragonite with First Hatch-chan and First Shiny-kun~~
~Shinies~ (click to show)
~Kreativ~ (click to show)
+Quote Post

xXRainingBlood
post Aug 4 2010, 08:52 PM
Post #154

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 97 120

Platinum Team

Well, later on it becomes useful. Earlier on it is just busy work and doesn't really help much. When someone is in high school and whatnot, it helps a lot more since the work is more difficult. proudbow.gif

--------------------
thrust.gif Time For A Dance Party!!! thrust.gif

+Quote Post

Crystal Shards
post Aug 4 2010, 10:29 PM
Post #155

Iced Out
Group Icon

Member No.: 250

Favorites

It really depends on the type of homework. Synthesis (integrating what you know with other things you know and with real life applications) does help learning. Worksheets do not. I'm pro-homework, just not time wasting fill-in-the-blank shit.

--------------------
Administrator of Mercury Ice Forums

I click full party even after you switch out Pokemon.

DieHard GameFAN
+Quote Post

pichu egg
post Oct 29 2010, 03:34 PM
Post #156

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 73 877

Pokemon Lab Team

Very useful! It teaches kids self-responsibility and makes kids smarter also. clap.gif

This post has been edited by pichu egg: Oct 29 2010, 03:36 PM

--------------------

Shoddy Battle record: 15 wins/ 6 losses

Runescape account name: Sir Koopaman
Shoddy Battle account name and Smogon account name: Sir Koopaman
+Quote Post

Taryn
post Oct 30 2010, 12:46 AM
Post #157

Papillion
Group Icon

Member No.: 112 325

Lovely Legend Squad

Totally useful. Though I will admit as a kid, I hated my homework because it was boring crap. XD

The only homework that is 100% USELESS, is Algebra homework. The only folks who need to worry about Algebra are the people who are going to use it in the future...

--------------------
"Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet."
--Dave Barry--
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
--George Carlin--
"I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult."
--E. B. White-- (1899 - 1985)
" No fear. No distractions. The ability to let that which does not matter truly slide."
--Chuck Palahniuk-- (1962 - ), Fight Club, 1996
+Quote Post

pichu egg
post Oct 30 2010, 05:55 PM
Post #158

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 73 877

Pokemon Lab Team

Which is pretty much everybody who isn't gonna work at WalMart or something like that.

This post has been edited by pichu egg: Oct 30 2010, 05:55 PM

--------------------

Shoddy Battle record: 15 wins/ 6 losses

Runescape account name: Sir Koopaman
Shoddy Battle account name and Smogon account name: Sir Koopaman
+Quote Post

Eryth
post Nov 1 2010, 05:41 PM
Post #159

Even if I can't see the future, I'll keep walking.
Group Icon

Member No.: 26 202

GHOSTIES

^Well yeah people are going to look at your grades and crap when you apply for a job, but there are a lot of jobs out there that don't require much algebra at all.

As much as I hate homework, it CAN be useful...well, more than pointless, anyway...in the right amount. Studying is something that's definitely needed (for most people...I get straight A's and B's and I literally never study), maybe something to review...but like the OP said, isn't seven hours in school enough time to teach us what we need?

And I saw some people say that homework doesn't even count toward their grade! Lucky them! dry.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

Thel Vadam
post Nov 2 2010, 12:48 AM
Post #160

Were it so easy.
Group Icon

Member No.: 96 898

Mah Platinum Party.

QUOTE(Stardust Snorter @ Jul 31 2010, 08:31 AM) *

Agreed.

--------------------
Thel 'Vadam: "We must go, the brutes have our scent.
Sgt. Johnson: "Then they must love the smell of bad a**. And I left you a little present,
Arbiter. And I'm walking away. Ha-ha-ha!" ~Halo 3, Arrival. (The fisrt level)

Eggs!
Mah Pokemanz/Eggs:

What Pokemon am I, you ask? (click to show)
+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:56 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.