Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Pokemon types that make you go 'Wait WUT?'
emilypemely
post Apr 14 2012, 09:05 PM
Post #41

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 126 371

Active Squad

i think regigigas should have been a ground type

--------------------

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Thermos Bandit
post Apr 16 2012, 06:15 PM
Post #42

Self Proclaimed Best Physics Professor
Group Icon

Member No.: 88 528

seeing red

Honestly, Arceus, Mainly because if It/He/She/Thing created EVERYTHING I would personally think it would have to be something other than normal... Probably like a ??? type walloftext.gif

--------------------
On a long journey without no destination, a compass without a direction, and this post is just another destination on the joke filled journey of no caring
+Quote Post

Dmitri
post Apr 19 2012, 02:57 PM
Post #43

Lecherous Demon
Group Icon

Member No.: 155 791

Team Scourge

Altaria being part Dragon. :T

--------------------
+Quote Post

rt117
post Apr 19 2012, 05:51 PM
Post #44

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 52 812

PANE Team

I never figured that:
- Paras/Parasect were part grass, though I suppose it could have something to do with the mushrooms carried
- Lucario was part steel
- Frillish and Jellicant were part ghost
- Bulbasaur was part poison (being the only dual typed starter)

--------------------

Click above to go to the Party!
PANE RP Character profile: Tikal Faylen: @ lv. 18 : @ lv. 17 : @ lv. 17 : @ lv. 18
Uprising RP Character profile: Sera Taisa: @ lv. 20 : @ lv. 18 : @ lv. 18
PANE Character Progress- - - - - - - - - - - Tikal Faylen - Furoh Wiki
Uprising Character Progress- - - - - - - - - - - Sera Taisa - Uprising Wiki
+Quote Post

AOPSUser
post Apr 21 2012, 12:23 PM
Post #45

Professional Battler
Group Icon

Member No.: 161 074

My BW Team

QUOTE(Matt Cat @ Jun 9 2011, 11:41 PM) *
QUOTE(StrawberryLoveIntervention @ Jun 10 2011, 04:36 PM) *
QUOTE(Matt Cat @ Jun 10 2011, 02:03 AM) *
The fact that Gyarados is part flying instead of part dragon really baffles me.

It's based on a Chinese legend about a carp that jumps over a waterfall and gains the ability to fly, or something like that.

The fact that it doesn't learn fly contradicts the legend though; that's the part that baffles me more than the cosmetic side of it. It does look remarkably like one of those Chinese Dragons, yes, but I don't recall any of those being able to take to the air -- unless I missed something? *shrugs*

I would've added the legend, but I forgot what it was after I first heard of it.

It does get Bounce, but that's by Tutor...

Anyways, why is Latios not part Flying and part Dragon instead?

--------------------

My Shinies will guide you to my party.

Come to Smogon. (We'll teach you to battle.)

Group Banners (click to show)

Other Stuff (click to show)
+Quote Post

rt117
post Apr 21 2012, 12:32 PM
Post #46

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 52 812

PANE Team

QUOTE(SomeRandomDude314 @ Apr 21 2012, 01:23 PM) *
It does get Bounce, but that's by Tutor...

Anyways, why is Latios not part Flying and part Dragon instead?

Theres only room for two types, and because Flying can be thought of more like a 'secondary' type, it was omitted. Other Pokemon are missing a third type as well, such as Flygon (missing Flying, but has the Levitate ability to replace it), and Lugia (which should have the Water type attatched, being the 'Diving Pokemon', but is instead a Psychic/Flying type).

--------------------

Click above to go to the Party!
PANE RP Character profile: Tikal Faylen: @ lv. 18 : @ lv. 17 : @ lv. 17 : @ lv. 18
Uprising RP Character profile: Sera Taisa: @ lv. 20 : @ lv. 18 : @ lv. 18
PANE Character Progress- - - - - - - - - - - Tikal Faylen - Furoh Wiki
Uprising Character Progress- - - - - - - - - - - Sera Taisa - Uprising Wiki
+Quote Post

Mars Adept Enten
post Apr 21 2012, 05:15 PM
Post #47

Certified Psychotic Isaac Fangirl and Legendary Dogs Enthusiast
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 18 522

GS Crew

Actually, the Lugia not being Water/Flying is because GF probably didn't want a Legendary to have a 4x weakness to a rather common type. And as for Altaria being part Dragon, it's based off of the Chinese Peng, which are birds of enormous size often represented with a dragon's head and whiskers whom also have cloudlike wings. Its Japanese name, Tyltalis, could also come from the name for the star Epsilon Draconis, also known as 'Tyl', which in itself is a reference to the play L'Oiseau Bleu, a play by Maurice Maeterlinck, a Belgian playwright. The play is about two siblings, Mytyl and Tyltyl, who are searching for the 'blue bird of happiness'. Their names are translated as ミチル and チルチル in the Japanese version of the play.

Information on Altaria courtesy of http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Alt..._(Pok%C3%A9mon)

EDIT: Just saw the post asking why Lucario is part Steel. The most likely reason is that its name in Japanese, Rukario, can be interpreted as either the word 'oracle' or 'orichalcum' in reverse then transcribed to Katakana. Orichalcum itself is thought to be an alloy of metals ranging from gold/copper, copper/tin, copper/zinc/brass, or even a metal no longer known about. The word itself is derived from the Greek word oreikhalkos, which is derived from oros (mountain), and chalkos (copper or bronze).

Information on orichalcum courtesy of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orichalcum

This post has been edited by Mars Adept Enten: Apr 21 2012, 05:26 PM

--------------------
I'm also known as Queen_Lugia on SPPf, and Queen-Articuno on dA, as well as a former aspiring trinketer on GPX+, a proud TheRunawayGuys fangirl, a proud participant of Extra Life, and proud supporter of TwitchPlaysPokemon.

I claimed Isaac from Golden Sun. Hands off mah bishie! tongue.gif And Capt. Linebeck, too!

Follow Isaac-kun to get to my party. I appreciate and try to return clickbacks! happy.gif

Thanks, xJesstheMess!

My shop! I appreciate requests! cat.gif

Entei stuff! (click to show)

Other stuff... (click to show)

Credit to: (click to show)
+Quote Post

Kazyx
post Apr 21 2012, 06:26 PM
Post #48

Veteran Kaz would like to battle!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1 227

ElecPsy Team

Let's see. Might as well add a few more Pokemon to my list. Doing Gens 1 and 2 for now.
(Images thanks to Poke Elite 2000)
    • Suspected Type -
    • Reasoning - Due to the anime, Psyduck was said to have psychic abilities, and in the games, learned a good amount of Psychic moves. Due to this, I figured it evolved into a Water/Psychic, but was disappointed when I found out that wasn't the case.
    • Suspected Type -
    • Reasoning - Due to my own general confusion, Horsea upon becoming a Seadra was able to use Poison Sting, as well as a couple of other Poison moves. This caused me to think that it was part Poison. Haha! Boy, was that ever silly thinking.
    • Suspected Type -
    • Reasoning - Tree = Grass, right? Right?! NOPE. Boy was my poor Quilava ever surprised to be greeted by a Rock Slide to the face. I was so infuriated I didn't care what type it was, and went out of my way to DESTROY it. Yep. Didn't catch it. I KO'd both it and Red Gyarados in my first playthrough of Silver, back when they first came out.
    • Suspected Type -
    • Reasoning - Zubat (the only bat to date at this point) was Poison/Flying. Gligar kinda looks like a bat, but with a socrpion tail. This caused my childish mind to think "Oh! It's a Poison/Flying!". *shrugs* We learn eventually, thank goodness.
    • Suspected Type - 1 / 2
    • Reasoning - 1Due to it being a part of the legendary trio, I had imagined it having a similar set of typings, like how Gen 1's Bird Trio worked. This resulted in the thought of being an Ice type.
    • Reasoning - 2After watching Pokemon 4Ever (Still a silly title but whatever), and watching Suicune run on water, I began to think it was then part Water. Afterall, it was called the North Wind, and the North is cold, and there's ice there. Aurora Beam didn't help my confusion either. Oh how silly I was.

--------------------
Click one of the images below to be directed to my profile on the shown website

+Quote Post

unearthly
post May 10 2012, 03:00 AM
Post #49

Game Over
Group Icon

Member No.: 136 493

Active Squad

I didn't realize that magnamite picked up the 'steel' type until I joined gpx.
I guess that one makes sense though.
Why is seedots later evos dark? Idk you tell me.
Sudowoodo always confused me too ^w^

This post has been edited by unearthly: May 10 2012, 03:06 AM

--------------------

{GPX Home}
Art (click to show)
+Quote Post

Durppie
post May 13 2012, 07:18 PM
Post #50

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 145 444

Wingull Squad 9

For a while, I thought Victini was a Normal/Fire type, not a Psychic/Normal. *shrugs*

For an even longer time, I thought Dratini was Water/Dragon. Must've been the blue coloration, and that they're found near water at times.

--------------------
Hello there fellow poster...

There is nothing to see. No Wingull Squads hankering to steal your Poffins, nothing.
You can trust the Angel of Death! She isn't lying, seriously~

wingull.gif wingull.gif wingull.gif wingull.gif wingull.gif wingull.gif wingull.gif wingull.gif wingull.gif wingull.gif wingull.gif
+Quote Post

PokeCo
post May 14 2012, 03:40 AM
Post #51

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 161 006

Favorite POKeMON

Just got my hands on LARVESTA on this site. And a BUG/FIRE type makes me a tad confused...

--------------------
+Quote Post

Mars Adept Enten
post May 30 2012, 12:40 PM
Post #52

Group Icon

GS Crew

Regarding Nuzleaf and Shiftry's Dark typing: they happen to be based off of Japanese goblinlike spirits known as tengu, which are classified into two types:
Daitengu (Lit: Great tengu): The more benevolent variety, is often regarded in a protecting role. Shiftry is based on this variant of tengu. This type is also referred to as hanatakatengu (Lit: Tall-nosed tengu).
Kotengu (Lit: Small tengu): The malevolent variety, prone to playing nasty pranks on people. I theorize that Nuzleaf is based off this variant of tengu. This type is also referred to as Karasu-Tengu (Lit: Crow tengu) or koppatengu/konohatengu (Lit: Foliage tengu).

An additional clue lies in Shiftry's Japanese name, Dirteng, a corruption of daitengu. Although Bulbapedia has a different etymology for that name, this is the one I deem more fitting. (Bulbapedia derives it from dark or dirty and tengu).

Information on tengu courtesy of this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tengu and back issues of Beckett Unofficial Pokémon Collector.

--------------------
I'm also known as Queen_Lugia on SPPf, and Queen-Articuno on dA, as well as a former aspiring trinketer on GPX+, a proud TheRunawayGuys fangirl, a proud participant of Extra Life, and proud supporter of TwitchPlaysPokemon.

I claimed Isaac from Golden Sun. Hands off mah bishie! tongue.gif And Capt. Linebeck, too!

Follow Isaac-kun to get to my party. I appreciate and try to return clickbacks! happy.gif

Thanks, xJesstheMess!

+Quote Post

Umi ko
post Jun 2 2012, 06:58 PM
Post #53

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 165 187

Active Squad

That ugly Stufisk thing...The one that looks like a derpy pancake. It being ground and electric. I don't even know how that works. If it uses electric attacks, it'd cancel the attack out since it's a ground type B|

--------------------

Meet Altaďr and Ezio. These two can't wait to grow up and be the greatest fighters of the sky. Help these two fulfill their dream to become the best Wargles of all time!

+Quote Post

Glover
post Jun 9 2012, 11:37 PM
Post #54

Lead Representative, Orre Region League
Group Icon

Member No.: 163 868

Bain of Criminals

I just now discovered that Jirachi was Psychic AND Steel! He was in my first Pokemon movie when it came out, my friend let me borrow his Jirachi on Diamond, and that thing was is one of my favorite Legendaries! When the /hell/ did he gain a Steel type? .__o'

Don't get me started on the Creation Trio... '>.> (Yeah, Giratina, I'm lookin' at you...)
Uh, Jirachi's always been part Steel. Has to do with the metallic alloys often found in comets.

Giratina is a ghost type because Giratina is essentially the ruler of the underworld. Granted, it's not the underworld of our lore, Giratina's realm is more like the backstage of a theatre than it is a realm of death, but that's what it is. Note the broken halo on its forehead.

Uh, surfskit {..epic spell fail} is like bug and water.
and like no.
>:u those don't go together.
Surskit is based on a spider, who ejects oil (you know, oil thicker than water) from its feet and can walk on water. This is real, folks.

On another note,HOW IN THE %&^%^$ WORLD CAN GOLETT LEARN FLY?!?!?!?!

Rockets. And because Golurk can. (by folding in his legs and hands and sprouting rocckets. Now, explain to me how the ancients managed to do with rocks and fire what NASA needs a multi billion dollar budget to do?)

"GOLETTE, USE FLY!" Golett: *Takes superman pose and farts fire like there's no tomorrow*

Thank you. Thank you SO much for putting it so eloquently. You are a god amongst us.
Spoiler (click to showhide)

QUOTE(Logannaruto @ Jun 16 2011, 12:41 AM) *
why is delibird ice/flying. I know its a penguin but penguins cant fly and it looks misleading

Probably
A)So that Delibird can learn other flying moves. Well, TMs
B)Because Delibird fly (See Anime)
C)Becasue Santa Claus, whom Delibird is based off of, can fly.

That ugly Stufisk thing...The one that looks like a derpy pancake. It being ground and electric. I don't even know how that works. If it uses electric attacks, it'd cancel the attack out since it's a ground type B|

Actually, you're forgetting that Nidoking (Poison/GRD) can learn Thunder too. Stunfisk is a Mudfish Pokemon, specifically a flounder (lives on the seafloor to wait for prey, has eyes in odd places) and a eel or electric stingray who can also zap a fish and cook its own lunch. The fact that the fishy is not water is a bit odd, but then if it was, it'd be a ripoff of Lanturn. I do wish that its ground type would protect its electric type weakness, but oh well.

Just got my hands on LARVESTA on this site. And a BUG/FIRE type makes me a tad confused...

Firebug. Kinda like a lightning bug.

Sudowoodo always confused me too ^w^

Sudowoodo= Pseudo (meaning fake) wood. Fake Wood. Rock type who looks like a tree. Ta da!

[Golduck]◦Suspected Type -
◦Reasoning - Due to the anime, Psyduck was said to have psychic abilities, and in the games, learned a good amount of Psychic moves. Due to this, I figured it evolved into a Water/Psychic, but was disappointed when I found out that wasn't the case.

Brotha' you ain't alone.

What is it with no one reading PSEUDOwoodo's name? Hint! Big Hint! Fake wood. (Granted, I didn't know what Pseudo meant when I played Silver the first time, but I read up on it beforehand

The type that surprised me was Litwick's Ghost typing. It doesn't look like a ghost.
True, but how many seances involve candles?

Honestly, Arceus, Mainly because if It/He/She/Thing created EVERYTHING I would personally think it would have to be something other than normal... Probably like a ??? type

Arceus's multitype, Like, You'd think the default type would be somethin better, Not normal

You forget, Normal is supposed to be a baseline. most normal types can learn a huge range of types as well, because they are a baseline. Ditto's a baseline who can become anything.

8 the pan'swhy are you normal until you evolve?.
Fixed due to annoyingness meme.

It's because they are still young. And they evolve with the stones, so their evolutions are inheiring the powers from the stones.

Although, I hadn't really looked to check and see that they were normal types, so what do I know?

3. Giratina. Why are you NOt a DARK type?
Probably because we got Darkrai at the same time. Simple as that. Also, Giratina is supposed to be more of an underworld ruler than truly evil.

fixed due to annoyingness meme,

--------------------
I like to write!

"You don't want a Donphan materializing in your pants."
- A Pearl fo Wisdom from Jovi, Rachhand extrodinaire-Orre Region Lab.

Credit (click to show)
+Quote Post

daniff
post Jun 28 2012, 10:06 AM
Post #55

not really a dog
Group Icon

Member No.: 17 244

Active Squad

i was convinced that luxray was part dark, i had an argument with my brother about it, i lost.
but I've heard a lot of people say this

--------------------
plz click my little girls

and yes the pink one is shiny grin.gif crazy.gif
and yes i did just realise it was shiny
and no i haven't only just got it
+Quote Post

Mars Adept Enten
post Jul 1 2012, 04:25 PM
Post #56

Group Icon

GS Crew

^I've heard a lot of people are curious about that exact thing. Truth is, the Luxray line was meant to be an ATK-based counterpart to the SATK Manectric line. That, and its unusual blue/black/yellow color scheme calls to mind darkness and night.

On Golett learning Fly: It's a Shout-Out to the movie The Iron Giant. Check this page for more info (you'll need to scroll down to the New Pokémon Tropes to find it.)

Regarding Litwick and its line: It's not meant to be a reference to seances, but rather a combination of Hitodama (a blue, black, or purple flame associated with ghosts and youkai, roughly the Japanese equivalent of the Western will-o'-the-wisp) and candles. Its Japanese name also holds a clue, being potentially derived from the Japanese hitomoshi, 火点し (Lit: to light a lamp, or a funeral-procession leader) or hitomoshi, 人燃し (to burn a man [to death]). Both of these words are death-related, and Ghost-types do have a tendency to be death-themed. A candlelike Fire/Ghost 'mon makes sense in light of this. Likewise, Lampent (a combination of the aforementioned Hitodama and an oil street lamp) and Chandelure (a combination of Hitodama and a chandelier) continue this 'soul-fire' concept.

And even though Giratina's typing has been brought up, I'd like to add something to what's already been said.
I believe the Ghost typing has something to do with the fact that Giratina is a representation of antimatter. Word of God from Junichi Masuda has confirmed this, as well as in-game confirmation in the HGSS Arceus event. I have the April 2009 issue of Nintendo Power, and there is an interview with Masuda and Takeshi Kawachimaru in the cover story on Platinum Version. Here's an excerpt from the interview (Question will be in Bold, responses distinguished by italics):

NP: Did you have the ideas for Pokémon Platinum in mind when working on Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl, or did they come about later?

Masuda: While developing Diamond and Pearl. Giratina originally embodied the idea of an "antiworld", which is a paradox of Time and Space. It exists in relation to Dialga and Palkia. That's what I had in mind when I was developing Diamond and Pearl.

Kawachimaru: I was not aware of any of that during the Diamond and Pearl development. Masuda told me about it when we started developing Platinum. So it was after Diamond and Pearl for me (laughs). I normally receive key terms from Masuda in the first stage of development, but there were many random terms like "antimatter" and "e=mc2", "Reversed Mt. Fuji" ("Sakasa Fuji") and so on. He explained that "Sakasa Fuji" is the reflection of Mt. Fuji on the lake, and it's the antimatter world. It was challenging to put that concept in the game, so we did extensive research. I didn't know what exactly "antimatter" was either. I personally think that I comprehend it well, but I wonder....

Masuda: Yes. It exists but it actually doesn't. That sort of thing. The mountain exists on the lake through human eyes, but it's only a reflection and doesn't exist. It's a diverse world. You see it only because you are looking at it with your eyes. I'm impressed (with Kawachimaru) for being able to take ingredients that were not substantial and incorporate them into Platinum.

So there you have it. Straight from the producer and director themselves.

Information on Litwick, Lampent, and Chandelure obtained from: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Lit..._(Pok%C3%A9mon), http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Lam..._(Pok%C3%A9mon), and http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Cha..._(Pok%C3%A9mon)

Quote of interview from the article "Pokémon Goes Platinum", from Nintendo Power issue #240, April 2009.

This post has been edited by Mars Adept Enten: Jul 2 2012, 10:29 AM

--------------------

Thanks, xJesstheMess!

+Quote Post

Not Gizmo
post Jul 2 2012, 03:38 PM
Post #57

it's not a trolley
Group Icon

Member No.: 115 631

*splahes about*

^ Agreed with everything in Kazyx's post... except for Seadra, sort of. I never really saw Seadra as a part poison type all that much, but I guess it varies from different people's point of views~

QUOTE(Mars Adept Enten @ Apr 21 2012, 06:15 PM) *
Actually, the Lugia not being Water/Flying is because GF probably didn't want a Legendary to have a 4x weakness to a rather common type.

...but Ho-oh is 4x weak to rock.

The only real thing I'm kinda disappointed in, in terms of typing, is Gyarados. It would be nice if it was dragon and water, as I'm sure everyone else would like the same thing as well.

--------------------

.: x :.
+Quote Post

Kazyx
post Jul 2 2012, 11:04 PM
Post #58

Veteran Kaz would like to battle!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1 227

ElecPsy Team

Hey there, Kaz here with Generation 3 and their effing confusion!
(This time, pictures from Pokecheck)
    • Suspected Type -
    • Reasoning - Due to Surskit being a Bug/Water type, it was only natural that my younger self had thought that Masquerain was a Bug/Water type. I was shocked when I one-shotted it with a Rock move.
    • Suspected Type -
    • Reasoning - Azurill, being a part of the Marill, only made sense to think that it was a Water type. Boy was I ever surprised to find out it was a Normal type!
    • Suspected Type -
    • Reasoning - No idea why, but I thought Mawile was a Dark type. Could be the large mouth and the fact it was only found in caves. *shrugs*
  • &
    • Suspected Type - 1 / 2
    • Reasoning1 - Volbeat and Illumise, when I heard they were Fireflies, made me instantly think of Ampharos, who was Electric typed. I was stoked, going "Oh boy, a Bug/Electric type! That sounds cool! NOPE.
    • Reasoning2 - Then when I encountered them, I actually thought they were Bug/Flying types, like almost all bugs with wings are (Once finding out Masquerain was Bug/Flying helped this out). NOPE. GUESS AGAIN.
  • & &
    • Suspected Type - & &
    • Reasoning - Trapinch! Wow, was I ever wrong about it! I thought it was a Bug type, that became a Bug/Flying, and then into a Dragon/Flying! I have no idea why I thought that as a kid, but I sure feel pretty silly about it now.
    • Suspected Type -
    • Reasoning - Another confusing one. Thought this was going to be Normal/Flying. NOT TODAY. <__<;;

Needless to say, younger me was a very confused individual and I am not sure how I feel about it.

--------------------
Click one of the images below to be directed to my profile on the shown website

+Quote Post

Not Gizmo
post Jul 4 2012, 10:59 AM
Post #59

it's not a trolley
Group Icon

Member No.: 115 631

*splahes about*

^And again, I most certainly agree with Kazyx (well done on gathering them, by the way~).
Except for volbeat and illumise; I always saw them as pure bug type at first glance.
Same thing with trapinch, as I instantly assumed it was a ground type, and embarrassingly, for almost 90% of all the time that I've been playing R/S/E in my past years, it never crossed my mind that it evolved into vibrava, and I was so confused on how to get a Flygon until I eventually got bored and started to train a trapinch; it came to an extreme surprise to me when it evolved.

This post has been edited by Gizmokarp: Jul 4 2012, 11:04 AM

--------------------

.: x :.
+Quote Post

Mars Adept Enten
post Jul 7 2012, 12:02 PM
Post #60

Group Icon

GS Crew

Oh, yeah. Gen III 'mons had some deceptive typings. I also thought Azurill was a Water type. So I was quite surprised to find out it was Normal type. And (even though I personally never suscribed to the idea) I remember reading a preview of some of the R/S 'mons, and one of the 'mons in the preview was Kecleon, which was theorized to be a Grass type, most likely due to its green coloration and the fact that it was an arboreal lizard. Nope. And same thing with Volbeat. I thought it'd be Bug/Electric too, what with being a firefly and all. Nope.

On Ho-Oh's predicament (x4 Rock weakness): Fire/Flying was an already established typing at the time, with Charizard and Moltres. So, having one Legendary with a x4 weakness, they didn't want the other version exclusive following suit. And the basis for Lugia's design, the ocean kami Ryūjin, has aquatic, avian, and psychic characteristics. (And if you look at the name, draconic characteristics.) The physical design of Lugia wasn't taken from Ryūjin's physical design (who is more like Gyarados or Rayquaza, appearance-wise), but its personality/mythos were. Ryūjin-focused stories tend to be violent or dark in nature. Fortunately, that particular characteristic wasn't carried over to Lugia.

TL;DR: Lugia is based off of an aquatic-dwelling dragon god in Shintoism, which also has some psychic characteristics.

(Information on Lugia obtained from Beckett Pokémon Unofficial Collector issue #125)

This post has been edited by Mars Adept Enten: Jul 7 2012, 12:02 PM

--------------------

Thanks, xJesstheMess!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:09 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.