Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Chick-Fil-A Comes Out Against Same-Sex Marriage
Dmitri
post Aug 2 2012, 04:42 AM
Post #1

Lecherous Demon
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 155 791

Team Scourge

I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about this yet.
QUOTE("Yahoo! News")
The president of Chick-fil-A, the fast food chain with more than 1,600 restaurants and $4 billion in revenue, has come out against same-sex marriage.

"I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,'" Dan Cathy, the company's president and chief operating officer, said in a recent radio interview. "I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about."

In an interview with the Baptist Press published this week, Cathy doubled down on his stance against same-sex unions.

"Guilty as charged," Cathy said. "We are very much supportive of the family—the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

"We know that it might not be popular with everyone," he added, "but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles."

The company, founded by Dan's father, Truett Cathy, in 1946, has a history of "unapologetic social conservatism," as the Daily Caller put it. All 1,608 of its stores are closed on Sundays, a day of rest for most Christians.

According to Queerty.com, the WinShape Foundation—Chick-fil-A's charitable arm—donated more than $1.1 million between 2003 and 2008 to anti-LGBT groups, doubling that amount to $2 million in 2009.

Earlier this year, students at Northeastern University protested a proposal to put a Chick-fil-A on its Boston campus because of the company's history of supporting anti-gay organizations. The school abandoned its plan.

To be honest, I really wouldn't have a problem if they didn't donate millions of dollars to anti-LGBT groups. IMO, that's really what disgusts me, is that what I potentially pay is going towards intolerance groups.

Thoughts?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Yamper
post Aug 2 2012, 05:28 AM
Post #2

Axew and Volcarona enthusiast
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 61 211

Invisible Kyurem

I'm not American but I've heard a lot of bad stuff about them.

I think one of the ones I heard was about Henson's company didn't want Muppets to be associated with a hompophobic company and actually donated the money Chik-Fil-A gave them to GLAAD. Their 'cover up' for pulling on the toys was something about a safety procedure about how kids were getting their fingers stuck in the puppets.

"I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about."

Not bible bashing or trying to, but religious people who think that are just fucking arrogant themselves >_> sorry but.. yeah.

I understand everyone has an opinion and everyone won't accept everything, but outstandingly donating to Anti-LGBT groups is just lineface. That... is just disgusting, like you said. You'd think with a more modern world people would be more accepting, which is the case, but of course there are these people who think this :/

But 2 million bucks to anti-lgbt groups... damn they're really anti everything aren't they?

--------------------

Don't forget to love yourself.
Add me for daily clicks: 873/1000

[align=center]---

Community Thread Shiny List!

---[/align]
[align=right]Breeding Incentives: Mission Cards
[/align]
+Quote Post

Dazmi
post Aug 2 2012, 10:40 AM
Post #3

Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 482

Active Squad

Same-sex marriage is one of a few controversies where I can comfortably say, flat out, "you're wrong" to those against it. Same-Sex Marriage is legal nationwide in Canada (the place where I live), so I have little worries being a homosexual myself... inside of that.

When it comes to Chik-Fil-A specifically... let me put it this way. Chik-Fil-A is apparently (never heard about it before now) widely considered one of the best fast food restaurants. But then you find out that they're a Christian organization. I mean, they're closed on Sunday's, but that shouldn't be anything of a problem. But then you find out about the Millions they've donated to anti-gay organizations and they allegedly have don't ask/don't tell hiring policies.

BUT THEIR CHICKEN SANDWICHES ARE GO GODDAMN TASTY! You've always loved Chik-Fil-A! They're fried in peanut oil, not gross corn oil and beef fat (thank you google). They have those charming cows in their advertizing campaigns! That sandwich is so good, it's just a sandwich! BUT. YOU FIND THAT YOU CAN'T LOOK AT THAT SANDWICH WITHOUT HEARING. <sandwich voice> It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve! *FRIGHTENED GASP* ~EEEHHHH~ *dramatic music*

Now, to what extent should you care? Is it okay to give them money? After all, if they make good product, their organization deserves to be profitable. Right? But what if my money is going to Anti-Gay stuff if I buy Waffle Fries? But I can't live without them! Ah, hell if I know the answer. All I know is that you can't pirate chicken.

This post has been edited by Dazmi: Aug 2 2012, 10:48 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Galahawk
post Aug 2 2012, 01:10 PM
Post #4

Legendary Dragon Empress
Group Icon

Member No.: 21 238

Best team ever

QUOTE(Dazmi @ Aug 2 2012, 11:40 AM) *
Same-sex marriage is one of a few controversies where I can comfortably say, flat out, "you're wrong" to those against it. Same-Sex Marriage is legal nationwide in Canada (the place where I live), so I have little worries being a homosexual myself... inside of that.

When it comes to Chik-Fil-A specifically... let me put it this way. Chik-Fil-A is apparently (never heard about it before now) widely considered one of the best fast food restaurants. But then you find out that they're a Christian organization. I mean, they're closed on Sunday's, but that shouldn't be anything of a problem. But then you find out about the Millions they've donated to anti-gay organizations and they allegedly have don't ask/don't tell hiring policies.

BUT THEIR CHICKEN SANDWICHES ARE GO GODDAMN TASTY! You've always loved Chik-Fil-A! They're fried in peanut oil, not gross corn oil and beef fat (thank you google). They have those charming cows in their advertizing campaigns! That sandwich is so good, it's just a sandwich! BUT. YOU FIND THAT YOU CAN'T LOOK AT THAT SANDWICH WITHOUT HEARING. <sandwich voice> It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve! *FRIGHTENED GASP* ~EEEHHHH~ *dramatic music*

Now, to what extent should you care? Is it okay to give them money? After all, if they make good product, their organization deserves to be profitable. Right? But what if my money is going to Anti-Gay stuff if I buy Waffle Fries? But I can't live without them! Ah, hell if I know the answer. All I know is that you can't pirate chicken.

That may be true, but many people have publicly posted recipes for how to make two of Chik-Fil-A's most popular menu items: Their chicken and lemonade.
I didn't like their food to begin with so boycotting them isn't a loss for me whatsoever. The only things of theirs I ever liked were their lemonade and desserts, meanwhile Panera's lemonade is way better IMO and I can find their desserts in the refrigerated section of any store.

I agree that, if it weren't for them donating money to such horrible organizations, I'd have no problem with them expressing their opinions. It's just when, BECAUSE of their opinions, they make choices that lead to people all over the US having less choices and less freedom that they seriously need a good old fashioned punch in the mouth/groin.

These people give good Christians everywhere a bad name, and I frown upon anyone who would rather put their palette above the rights and freedom of the people that this company is openly fighting to eliminate. :\

This post has been edited by Galahawk: Aug 2 2012, 02:18 PM

--------------------
[align=center]
- Click Latias for my deviantART | Click Latios for my Tumblr -

[spoiler=Shinies + Fat meeps]
(Shinies are not in chronological order. I stopped caring.)[/spoiler][/align]
+Quote Post

Silverydoe
post Aug 2 2012, 09:30 PM
Post #5

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 169 115

Active Squad

Well me, personally, being both gay and an avid lover of Chick-fil-a... don't really care.
Everyone has an opinion, and although it's a poor choice to take a side on such a controversial topic (I mean really, they're running a food business, not politics), I feel like boycotting them just because they expressed their opinion is in poor taste. Although I was raised Christian, I now a Pantheist. In short, I believe that all religions could be right, but I would never side solely on Christianity, and to be honest, I find it kind of silly sometimes. The thing I don't really like is that Chick-fil-a is such a huge fast-food chain, but they side with specific religions and opinions. It is not their place to do that! Religious values have no place in a business.
I actually heard this in the news quite a while ago (a few weeks?), and found a video on how to make chicken just like Chick-fil-a. I'll link it for Dazmi C:
Chick-fil-gay!

--------------------
+Quote Post

Galahawk
post Aug 3 2012, 01:25 AM
Post #6

Legendary Dragon Empress
Group Icon

Best team ever

QUOTE(Silverydoe @ Aug 2 2012, 10:30 PM) *
Everyone has an opinion, and although it's a poor choice to take a side on such a controversial topic (I mean really, they're running a food business, not politics), I feel like boycotting them just because they expressed their opinion is in poor taste.

Except they haven't just expressed an opinion. That's not why people are as mad as they are. On top of them announcing their anti-gay status they also donated millions of dollars to strongly anti-gay organizations. The very kinds that actively work/attempt to strip the LGBT community of their rights rather than just passively state their opinion. "Hate groups which have been listed next to the KKK, hate groups which try to cure gay people like it’s a disease, and hate groups that have disseminated information claiming that gay people are pedophiles." (I snagged that quote from someone who wrote about it themselves)

Hell if they just said they were anti-gay and nothing more my family and I would still probably still give them our business but the minute you donate that much money to horrible religious hate groups on top of it then that's just crossing a line in my books.

This post has been edited by Galahawk: Aug 3 2012, 11:02 AM

--------------------
[align=center]

+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Aug 3 2012, 09:39 AM
Post #7

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

im still gonna eat there, even though i'm an avid fan of gay rights their chicken sandwiches are soooooooo gooooooooood. it's the best comfort food on campus, since I go other places if I can help it

I think Boston is right in denying their business btw

EDIT: Chick Fil-A is popular enough that any boycotting will not affect them. We may as well target the organizations he donates to and not the businessman because he's entitled to donate to whoever the fuck he wants and absolutely no amount of protesting will change his view.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Nemu
post Aug 3 2012, 11:23 AM
Post #8

Craziest cat lady of all time.
Group Icon

Member No.: 162 933

I wish

I had heard about what they had said before, but they're donating...wha...-faints-

This is just horrid. I never really ate there before (totally dirt poor XD), but I surely don't ever plan on it.

My brother watches TYT and stuff, and he talks about this a lot. Honestly, it's kind of sounded to me like (and I could be wrong) there are people acting like Chick-Fil-A is some big victim. I know they have on this RPG board he goes to. Which I mean, they decided to contribute this money to these things. People can decide not to buy their stuff.

--------------------
Stuffs. cat.gif (click to show)
+Quote Post

Sharkosaurus
post Aug 4 2012, 06:21 AM
Post #9

Gentleman Bastard
Group Icon

Member No.: 93 071

smogon ban genies pls

"We know that it might not be popular with everyone," he added, "but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles."

"Share our values and operate on biblical principles."
Pfft. More like: Rudely insinuate that our beliefs are correct and mistreat the group we hate.

I simply won't understand why they even do this. The result of this may only let them lose two types of customers: the LBGT community, and those who support the LGBT community.

You know what? Fuck this. Let's all go to KFC.

This post has been edited by Wings of Sorrow: Aug 4 2012, 08:26 AM

--------------------
ayy
+Quote Post

Toogee
post Aug 4 2012, 08:04 AM
Post #10

Weak Livered Milk Drinker
Group Icon

Group: RP Moderators
Member No.: 208

And a Golurk

What the hell, I'll play devil's advocate here:

QUOTE(Better Lexxie Alicroy)
To be honest, I really wouldn't have a problem if they didn't donate millions of dollars to anti-LGBT groups. IMO, that's really what disgusts me, is that what I potentially pay is going towards intolerance groups.

Thoughts?

I'd like to know what exactly constitutes an "anti-LGBT" group. The article excerpt doesn't exactly clarify what that means. Do these groups want genocide or segregation? I'm pretty sure that's not the case. In fact, I would not be surprised if anti-LGBT really meant for man-woman marriages. In which case, of course a guy who supports one opinion on marriage is going to support other groups who share that opinion. This begs the question: Does being in favor of heterosexual marriage make you a homophobe?

QUOTE(Lord Raven)
I think Boston is right in denying their business btw

Denying people to build their business based on their unpopular opinion is a very bad idea. If no one likes their opinion that much, they shouldn't go there. Loss of profits will take care of the rest.

QUOTE(Wings of Sorrow)
Pfft. More like: Shoving what we believe down your throat whether you like it or not.

You're not forced to eat there, so I don't see how his opinion is being forced down your throat.

--------------------
PANE Mod

PANE x2 (click to show)

Credit for 2gamer's Seel of Approval (click to show)
+Quote Post

Sharkosaurus
post Aug 4 2012, 08:22 AM
Post #11

Gentleman Bastard
Group Icon

Member No.: 93 071

smogon ban genies pls

QUOTE(Toogee @ Aug 4 2012, 08:04 AM) *
QUOTE(Wings of Sorrow)
Pfft. More like: Shoving what we believe down your throat whether you like it or not.

You're not forced to eat there, so I don't see how his opinion is being forced down your throat.

I didn't mean it that way. :P
Hmm, let me explain what I mean. Say, it's like you have the idea of hating gays and are insinuating that you are right. Kinda like what they're implying from their statement: "I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,'" Pay attention to the latter sentence and you'll probably know what I mean.

Let me just edit that line to express what I really mean. Sorry, I'm horrible at expressing myself, and I can't seem to express what I meant back there.

This post has been edited by Wings of Sorrow: Aug 4 2012, 08:27 AM

--------------------
ayy
+Quote Post

Galahawk
post Aug 4 2012, 03:55 PM
Post #12

Legendary Dragon Empress
Group Icon

Best team ever

QUOTE(Toogee @ Aug 4 2012, 09:04 AM) *
I'd like to know what exactly constitutes an "anti-LGBT" group. The article excerpt doesn't exactly clarify what that means.

Have you heard of Exodus International? Focus on the Family?

The former supports programs to "cure" gays of their gayness and they actually introduced their beliefs overseas, which caused Uganda to introduce a bill which, if passed, would make it legal to publicly execute gays.
The latter is just plain bad. It not only openly slanders and spreads false information on members of the LGBT community, but also encourages teaching that homosexuality is wrong and should be frowned upon, goes around claiming that the Holocaust is the result of when the church becomes marginalized, and a bunch of other horrible shit that goes outside the range of JUST LGBT (including encouraging abused spouses to stay in abusive marriages).

Reading these organizations' websites made my skin crawl, everything I was reading about what they think of people who go outside their norms was just so unbelievably horrible and hateful.
These are just the main two that come to my mind, there are a few others; these are just the two organizations I've done the most looking into in the past.

This post has been edited by Galahawk: Aug 4 2012, 03:56 PM

--------------------
[align=center]

+Quote Post

eddiexelite
post Aug 4 2012, 05:59 PM
Post #13

Shorts: Easy and comfy to wear!
Group Icon

Member No.: 40 847

Active Squad

I've never eaten there and at first I didn't mind this whole issue until I heard that they were funding anti-LGBT groups.
Most of the people that I've talked to say this Chick-fil-A thing is stupid and that people are just overreacting, but they also don't know that the president didn't just say he's against gay marriage.

--------------------

Jaze
post Aug 4 2012, 06:14 PM
Post #14

raise me up
Group Icon

Member No.: 141 668

brite lites

~unpopular opinion~

the ceo of chick-fil-a has his right to his beliefs. all of this boycotting, gay couples standing outside of the restaurants kissing, etc is extremely childish and is not going to help anything get better.

so they donate to anti-lbgt groups? why isn't the media targetting these groups instead?

on a more popular opinion, however, i think the ceo was extremely stupid to bring this to the light, especially how america gets their panties in a bunch over the issue. it's not helping the business.

also, i had a chicken biscuit there this morning because idgaf about anything in the media, i just ~really~ like their chicken. sue me.

also before anyone points fingers, no i am not anti-gay and i'm all for gay rights. i just don't think chick-fil-a needs all of this hate. their employees are going through a rough time and not all of them share the ceo's beliefs - maybe they just need a job??

good lord, people.

--------------------

telling me that basically you're not looking out for me
everything is true to me, never words where you would see
+Quote Post

Nemu
post Aug 4 2012, 06:38 PM
Post #15

Craziest cat lady of all time.
Group Icon

Member No.: 162 933

I wish

I have heard that the employees are going through a lot. Which lets face it, the job market, especially in some areas is...well abysmal.

I don't agree with Chick-Fil-A, but people do need jobs and don't have to agree with what they are doing to pay bills. I wouldn't eat there, as I have stated, but I'm not dissing anyone who does either. Or works there.

I mean it's better than having no job because people can't just quit due to this and just pick up another job.

So that isn't really fair what they are going through.

As far as why not target those groups, I'm not entirely sure. Maybe they have been, maybe not. I find things out very sporadically. Maybe it's because even if they do go after them, the anti-gay people will still give them money. Saying things about them won't change it.

Hey, he doesn't have to like things, though I think it's closed minded I have no right to tell him what to do. I can only hope that all this makes him think about giving all this money to these groups, as that is probably the worst of it.

--------------------
Stuffs. cat.gif (click to show)
+Quote Post

Dreexpuppy
post Aug 4 2012, 08:15 PM
Post #16

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 41 672

Active Squad

Here's the thing, I dislike it how so many people are calling Christians hateful.. First off it was Cathy's opinion so people do not need to go as far as hating all Christians. I was raised Christian but don't really identify myself as Christian but I think they're far from hateful. Mr. Cathy did technically say his opinion in a respectful manner, he didn't bash them. Not only that, that isn't their hiring policy, if they didn't hire gays and what not then I'd have a problem with that. Plus I believe Chicago, Boston, and San Francisco and banning them... I mean this is America I know he donated to that group and is against it but still.. If you don't like it don't eat there they didn't have to ban it. People should at least have the option of having chick fill a in those cities.. Plus it seems like the boycotting side is being a bit irrational [both sides are irrational of course] but they said chick fill a is full of hate but what about that guy that pretty much yelled at an employee who worked there, it doesn't mean she shared their view. So I think the boycotting side can be just as hateful as they claim Christians are. ._.
I love oreos and ben and jerrys, and they're for gay marriage and probably donate to the cause and I will eat oreos because they're delicious.
I llke chicken, and I'll eat chick fill A if i really want it... I like both oreos and chick fill a and they're both on opposite sides, i eat them because of the product quality and taste. Not because of their political beliefs. :0

--------------------

- - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Aug 6 2012, 06:33 PM
Post #17

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

QUOTE(Toogee @ Aug 4 2012, 09:04 AM) *
Denying people to build their business based on their unpopular opinion is a very bad idea.

Counter devil's advocate: why?

--------------------
+Quote Post

The Grouch
post Aug 14 2012, 12:25 AM
Post #18

And this is how the world ends.
Group Icon

Member No.: 96 726

but a whimper.

I'm going to stop eating at Chik-Fil-A because their chicken turns me into a bigoted Christian.

See how much sense that made?

Yeah, okay, it sucks they donated millions of dollars to an anti-gay group, it sucks that they're Christian; but fuck, man, eating their chicken isn't going to infect you or anything. Those three dollars you just gave them is so insignificant, you may as well given me a nickel. And it's not like that donation is going to do much. What are those anti-LGBT groups gonna do anyways? Fan themselves with money in front of the Senate singing, "Oooh, Dan Cathy gave me money!"? That'll change their minds, because those groups have such significant political standings.

Yeah, right.

BRB, gonna eat some chicken.

--------------------
Team (click to show)
+Quote Post

Pizza Guy111
post Aug 21 2012, 03:50 AM
Post #19

Humble Soldier
Group Icon

Member No.: 41 986

The Brigade

I like their food enough to eat there, even though I don't support what they're doing with my money after... Well, after it isn't my money anymore. But hey, even Chick-Fil-A shutting down entirely most likely won't impede anti-LGBT groups.

--------------------
Stuff (click to show)
+Quote Post

lorks
post Aug 22 2012, 05:02 AM
Post #20

Faberry
Group Icon

Member No.: 72 645

Shinies

QUOTE(Toogee @ Aug 4 2012, 02:04 PM) *
This begs the question: Does being in favor of heterosexual marriage make you a homophobe?

yes.

i don't care how 'supportive' someone is of gay people or how many gay friends they have. if they don't think they should be allowed to marry, they're heterosexist. you don't have to want to kill gay people to be homophobic. what if someone said "oh, yeah, i have black friends, and i'm totally supportive of the african-american community, but i don't think they should be able to get married. i mean, that's just my belief!" someone'd probably say that they can't help being african-american, but neither can gay people.

QUOTE(Toogee @ Aug 4 2012, 02:04 PM) *
I'd like to know what exactly constitutes an "anti-LGBT" group. The article excerpt doesn't exactly clarify what that means. Do these groups want genocide or segregation? I'm pretty sure that's not the case. In fact, I would not be surprised if anti-LGBT really meant for man-woman marriages. In which case, of course a guy who supports one opinion on marriage is going to support other groups who share that opinion. This begs the question: Does being in favor of heterosexual marriage make you a homophobe?

how about the anti-gay organization (i forget the name but it definitely happened) that paid millions of dollars to try convince multiple powerful us politicians to not condemn the recent ugandan law that, if passed, would make it punishable by death to be gay. also, the fact that these groups are even trying to stop gay marriage is an infringement of the human rights of every non-straight person in the us.

that said, i am tired of the gay rights movement being solely focused on marriage equality and i think the chick-fil-a debate needs to be over because it's getting insane.
also, i don't think people should be hating on the employees at the restaurants. that is totally stupid & they do serve anyone, so instead of going to chick-fil-a and getting a glass of water then harassing the employees, people should donate to pro-lgbt groups.

--------------------
i always click back

--

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:08 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.