Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Pokemon that grew on you
Tazii
post Feb 14 2013, 11:12 PM
Post #1

Tikk Tokk
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 39 543

A Taste of The Fury

I think most of us have that one pokemon that we started out hating, but over time, for some reason or another, it stole your heart. Especially with the newer generations, when you first see them you can't help but ask 'what were they thinking?', but eventually you start getting use to that particular pokemon until you're fond of it.

So what's that one or more pokemon that grew on you?

Mine, personally, would have to be Patrat/Watchog and Trubbish. Patrat's design I found too dull, while I really didn't care at all for Trubbish. After fighting with Watchog in Pokemon White, I've become quiet fond of them and they've turned to be one of my favourite pokemon from that generation. The amount of hate Trubbish received made me pity the little guy. I find him quiet adorable, and he had started to grow on me in time too.

Hoppip is another. I'm not all fond of his evolution line, but Hoppip himself I found annoying as a kid because of how useless they were. Now that I'm older, I find his design to be adorable.

Chikorita I found pretty fragile looking and lacked in comparison to the other two starters. I always felt bad for Silver because I always chose Totodile and stuck him with Chikorita. Here's this bloke with a terrible attitude and a glum outlook on life, and he's tagging around this pokemon with a giant flower on its neck. I think Ash's Chikorita changed that seeing as she was a little badass.

So what about you? Who's that pesky little pokemon that tugged on your heartstrings?

This post has been edited by Karofsky: Feb 14 2013, 11:13 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Yum
post Feb 14 2013, 11:20 PM
Post #2

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 16 031

Yum in GPX+

I have no idea on this.
But I have no feeling towards Shinx,and I gradually grew in love with in because of the fact that I always transform into a Shinx in Explorers of Sky.

--------------------
+Quote Post

TiePhlosion
post Feb 15 2013, 12:35 PM
Post #3

Ruler of the Typhlosion Army.
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 190 303

My Precious

I have to say very honestly, when I first saw Cyndaquil, I nearly threw up. The way his eyes were constantly closed made me think that (when i was younger of course,) he would always strike attacks but they would miss the foe. But I tried him once in my Heart Gold, and the way the Quilava design came out was too awesome. <3

The second one I mostly disliked was Squirtle. When your playing Pokemon Rescue Team or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, the way the Squirtle smiled...It was horrible. And the way it cried when it was on the beach when Zubat and Koffing took its Relic Fragment I seriously thought to myself "Kill me now." But its evolution. GOD Wartortle was cute. So now, im perfectly fine with both pokemon! grin.gif

--------------------
Well, this is entertaining.

AMG, a Typhlosion with a tie. SO SEXEH. Lets call it TiePhlosion!
+Quote Post

Amberfunk
post Feb 15 2013, 01:06 PM
Post #4

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 105 850

Beautiful Change

I didn't like stunfisk too much at first. But I decided to use it on my white 2 team and he's pretty freaking awesome. He's the tank in my team. His derpy look kinda grew on me too. He's so adorable to me now:)

--------------------

Credits (click to show)
+Quote Post

The Madcap Laugh...
post Feb 15 2013, 07:03 PM
Post #5

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 191 057

Active Squad

Wartortle. I've always loved Squirtle and Blastoise, but for the longest time I never really cared for Wartortle. Recently, however, I've begun to love Wartortle. This has happened with me for a lot of middle evolutions, actually (Croconaw being another example)
+Quote Post

Aura Dynasty
post Feb 15 2013, 07:07 PM
Post #6

Guess who's back?
Group Icon

Member No.: 168 546

Jill Cortoma

I kinda hated Psyduck... I mean, he just stood there... doing nothing but having headaches and lousy attacks. I also didn't like his evolution but since I recieved W2 I started liking the little guy. Now he's one of my fave water-types and the strongest Pokémon on my W2 team.

psyduck.gif & golduck.gif are my buddies now woot.gif

--------------------
My body...
is made out of swords.
Iron is my blood
and glass is my heart.

I have overcome countless battlefields undefeated.
Not once have I retreated,
Nor once have I been understood.
Always alone....
On the hill of swords...
intoxicated by victory...

Thus, this life has no meaning...
This body...surely was...
Made out of blades.

PANE (click to show)

Uprising (click to show)
+Quote Post

Joltik
post Mar 4 2013, 06:56 AM
Post #7

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 27 562

Active Squad

I don't want to say I hated it to start with, because I really didn't, but Joltik. Joltik didn't stand out to me at all when Gen 5 was announced, I found the whole generation rather bland and had no favourites.

Then, one picture, one picture changed it all.

IT'S SO DAMN CUTE.

This started the OBSESSION that, as you can see, has yet to end.

Of course, the rest of the generation has grown on me since then as well, I have quite a few favourites now.

This post has been edited by Joltik: Mar 4 2013, 06:58 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Kerosene Zanchu
post Mar 4 2013, 06:10 PM
Post #8

Kerosene Zanchu
Group Icon

Member No.: 192 148

Legion of Awesome

Easy: Celebi
It wasn't too special to me. No signature moves, one of the 3 worst type pairings, etc. Sure it can travel through time, but Dialga can freakin' CONTROL time.
I started to like it because of an RP. Won't go into much detail, but it was my favorite character of mine and was also a popular one with everyone else. It made me start to like, and eventually LOVE the freakin' awesomeness packed into that little, green fairy body.

--------------------
+Quote Post

LiepardTrainer
post Mar 5 2013, 06:25 PM
Post #9

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 192 545

Active Squad

For me, even I'm surprised at times, when Gen 5 was announced, Pokemon revealed, every time I saw Watchog, I'm my mind back then was like "another easy Pokemon to defeat, nothing special about it" - from the pass of time, watching in the anime, using in the games - its now my #1 favorite Pokemon for now (taking over Liepard for first place by a 1%,) episode BW 115..... that sad expression with its eyes got to me, and instantly became #1, Everywhere I go while driving, I have to carry my Watchog keychain plush, hang it by the rear view mirror.

I never expect it to love Watchog or that it be my #1.

--------------------
Unova Fan! Love the PokeCats and PokeMustelids!
6 Favorite Pokemon in order: Watchog, Liepard, Patrat, Dewott, Mienfoo, Mienshao
+Quote Post

Mars Adept Enten
post Jun 18 2013, 12:52 PM
Post #10

Certified Psychotic Isaac Fangirl and Legendary Dogs Enthusiast
Group Icon

Member No.: 18 522

GS Crew

I'd have to say one of the 'mons that I was ambivalent about but now really love is Oshawott. I first saw his artwork when the BW starters were revealed, and I was like, "WTE is with that derpface? dumblook.gif And that huge nose?" Obviously, I had issues with his design. But one of my old Laptew pals was a huge fan of Oshawott, and his enthusiasm for it really warmed me up to that otter. cat.gif That, and once I saw his final evo, I was like, "WOW, that is so awesome.gif! A badass samurai otter!" And the fact that he has an IMO awesome shiny color scheme really helped that as well.

--------------------
I'm also known as Queen_Lugia on SPPf, and Queen-Articuno on dA, as well as a former aspiring trinketer on GPX+, a proud TheRunawayGuys fangirl, a proud participant of Extra Life, and proud supporter of TwitchPlaysPokemon.

I claimed Isaac from Golden Sun. Hands off mah bishie! tongue.gif And Capt. Linebeck, too!

Follow Isaac-kun to get to my party. I appreciate and try to return clickbacks! happy.gif

Thanks, xJesstheMess!

My shop! I appreciate requests! cat.gif

Entei stuff! (click to show)

Other stuff... (click to show)

Credit to: (click to show)
+Quote Post

Manah
post Jun 19 2013, 04:48 PM
Post #11

Made of random and Joltik love / Totally not a fangirl
Group Icon

Member No.: 6 080

Diamond Party

Vanilluxe. The first time I saw it I thought "WTF is that thing?", now I have one in my White 2 team. Silly ice cream.
(I tend to eventually love the things I find weird at first, so I half expected that to happen. xD)

Also, Vesus Levide made me appreciate Oshawott's cuteness

This post has been edited by Manah: Jun 19 2013, 04:50 PM

--------------------
Pokémon Moon FC: 0877-0881-6378 (Trainer name: June)

~
Buttons made by Arceus Awakened
+Quote Post

ShrapnelStars
post Jun 19 2013, 06:05 PM
Post #12

Well, I wish I'd wished you well
Group Icon

Member No.: 4 143

Let Us In

Conkeldurr is the strongest example of this for me so far. I didn't care much for him at first, but when I read his Pokepark entry on Bulbapedia, I fell in love with him. I'd get a stuffed animal of him if I could.
QUOTE(Pokepark Entry)
He looks stubborn, but he is very gentle at heart. He is strict with himself and others, but he takes good care of them, so Pokémon in the Area like him.

I wanted to give him a big hug after reading that. :3

I warmed up to Drapion, too. I'm not sure how it happened, but I love him now.

Kangaskhan is another pokemon that I never paid any attention to, but now I love her. For some reason, I always though her stats were something like Smeargle's or some other random Normal type. That's far from true, I found out. XD

--------------------
+Quote Post

Mars Adept Enten
post Jun 23 2013, 12:20 PM
Post #13

Certified Psychotic Isaac Fangirl and Legendary Dogs Enthusiast
Group Icon

Member No.: 18 522

GS Crew

The Timburr line is another one that's slowly gotten my love. At first, I saw Conkeldurr, and thought to myself, "Man, why did GF go for a derpy elderly fighter who's obviously just Dumb Muscle? -_-.gif" It wasn't until I raised a Timburr of my own that I started liking him. cat.gif Probably the biggest catalyst for that was Wake-Up Slap. Around Pinwheel Forest, I leveled one up to learn that and said to myself, "Man, it' be so funny to see a piece of fanart having Hilda command a Timburr to use Wake-Up Slap on a Team Plasma goon and the Timburr bitchslaps the Plasma Grunt with that 2x4. cackle.gif" And then I checked out Conkeldurr's name etymology, and it turns out that it wasn't meant to be a derp reference. It's actually from concrete and elder portmanteau'd together. That really changed my attitude towards the entire line. ^_^.gif

--------------------
I'm also known as Queen_Lugia on SPPf, and Queen-Articuno on dA, as well as a former aspiring trinketer on GPX+, a proud TheRunawayGuys fangirl, a proud participant of Extra Life, and proud supporter of TwitchPlaysPokemon.

I claimed Isaac from Golden Sun. Hands off mah bishie! tongue.gif And Capt. Linebeck, too!

Follow Isaac-kun to get to my party. I appreciate and try to return clickbacks! happy.gif

Thanks, xJesstheMess!

My shop! I appreciate requests! cat.gif

Entei stuff! (click to show)

Other stuff... (click to show)

Credit to: (click to show)
+Quote Post

Silverwynde
post Jul 5 2013, 03:06 PM
Post #14

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 77 467

Party

Easy: Sawk. I hated the design at first but when I went up against Lenora, I needed a Fighter. It was a choice between Timburr or Sawk. I caught the Timburr first then went for a Sawk...who proceeded to break several of my Poke Balls even at 1HP! When I finally caught him, I took him to the Gym and he went completely nuts on the place; there was no stopping him. That Sawk became my power hitter in Black and I fell in love with him. Now I'm an admitted Sawk fan.

--------------------

Lugnut used Punch of Kill Everything! It's super effective!
+Quote Post

Letan
post Jul 5 2013, 10:10 PM
Post #15

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 1 219

Lugia Hype

With a more recent example, I'd probably have to go with Ferrothorn.

I hated it aesthetically from the moment I saw it. However, it wasn't until White 2 when I really started to like Ferrothorn. I ended up using one towards the end of the game and loved it. It could tank hits like a champ, as long as they weren't a strong fire attack, and it'd be able to slowly take down some tough opponents. As for Ferrothorn's appearance, this TCG card made me start to like it. I don't get why they put it in the dumbest pose in Gen V, I get that it hangs from ceilings in caves but it's weird when you're fighting outside.

--------------------
[align=center]

=- Game Dev, currently making a game called Cursed Seasons. I tweet about it sometimes. -=
http://cursedseasons.tumblr.com/
Discord is a thing

[/align]
+Quote Post

PinkRapThor
post Jul 9 2013, 04:51 AM
Post #16

Not a human
Group Icon

Member No.: 148 389

Find treasure

Probopass, and now I really like it!

This post has been edited by ElectricWindmill: Aug 7 2018, 03:33 PM

--------------------
I'm a huge metal fan
+Quote Post

Totodile
post Jul 11 2013, 12:39 PM
Post #17

Irish
Group Icon

Member No.: 60 912

FireRed All Stars

When I was younger, I absolutely despised Zubat. Most people do too. I never really used repels, so I had to run through a cave full of Zubat all the time.
When HeartGold came out, I wanted to try something different and use a Zubat. Let me tell you now, I fell in love with that Crobat. He was so fast, so physically strong and he was a brilliant sweeper for my team.

More recently, I decided to return to fifth gen after postponing my White Adventure. I was looking for a Fire type when I opted for Darumaka. He was so cute and tiny that I initially named him Pipsqueak, but I soon learned that he was anything but. Darumaka (and Darmanitan) are absolute beasts. Good speed and outrageous attack. Darmanitan became my best Pokémon and he is definitely in my top ten.
+Quote Post

Daisy14
post Jul 29 2013, 12:27 PM
Post #18

Get'em Shiny Pokemons!
Group Icon

Member No.: 146 200

My Favorites

umm.. I think umbreon, pikachu and oshawott that really grew on me since I love this few pokemons like that. happy.gif

This post has been edited by Daisy14: Jul 29 2013, 10:34 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Naixatloz
post Jul 30 2013, 03:20 PM
Post #19

A-set, you bet!
Group Icon

Member No.: 56 857

So, when Gen V was released, I hated Trubbish and Garbodor, just like everyone else. Then I got Black 2, and decided I wanted to go through the game with a whole team of only the stupidest, ugliest, derpiest Pokemon I could think of. And that is how I found out that Garbodor is a badass. It has a less than ideal special attack stat, and it still completely wrecks stuff with a combination of Toxic and Venoshock.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Kazyx
post Jul 31 2013, 03:21 PM
Post #20

Veteran Kaz would like to battle!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1 227

ElecPsy Team

A long time ago, I used to hate Cradily. I was like "This thing is odd looking and a pain in the arse to take down. Why would I want this". It wasn't until more recent generations that showed Cradily has the capability to take on just about anything. Stockpile, combined with Leech Seed and/or Recover allows it to have amazing survival capabilities, and with Suction Cups, it isn't going to be taken away by phazing moves. This allows a teammate to stock up on Swords Dances and some speed buffs, and Baton Pass to this monster right here.

Another Pokemon I originally didn't like but ended up liking after using it was Terrakion. I was like "Virizion is my bro, yo. So stand back and let Virizion show you how it's do-" and then Virizion faints to Gust. Cobalion suffers from "Wannabe Lucario" syndrome, and sucks at its job sadly. Terrakion is a whole other story though, as it can take a hit, dish out the pain, and is pretty decently fast for a Rock type. Good movepool assists him as well, which makes sense now as he's one of the strongest contenders in the OU tier of the competitive play.

--------------------
Click one of the images below to be directed to my profile on the shown website

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:39 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.