Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
12 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Homework ? Useful Or Useless
Last Angel the K...
post Mar 6 2012, 07:30 PM
Post #201

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 140 639

My Party

I spend all day sitting in a classroom, going over things for the three-thousandth time. I don't want to have to spend another 3+ hours at home working on MORE work. (and yes, I DO get that much homework.) I have a LIFE outside of school, teachers; band/music, Pokemon, writing, and *shocker* FRIENDS. I'd like to spend time with them instead of mindlessly repeating work that I already understand in my room. So, yeah, homework, for me, is pointless because I get the work. I think they (the teachers) should assign the work to students who do not understand the work!

--------------------

I'm sorry in advance if I don't make sense sometimes, or ramble, it's a bad habit of mine, and I have mild Autism... sorry! And thank you for being understanding! happy.gif
"Why are you walking away?
Was it something I did?
Did I make a mistake cause
I'm trying to deal with the pain
I don't understand this, is this how it is?
I will try to understand
"
-Sleeping with Sirens, A Trophy Father's Trophy Son
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Velocity
post Mar 25 2012, 10:24 PM
Post #202

Pokemon Master!
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 40 800

Mew!

Urghhh I hate doing homework, though I actually find it quite useful when it comes to final exams. I find it a lot easier to remember things if you go over it and revise. So all in all I think its necessary. Do I like it? No, but its better than failing right?

This post has been edited by Velocity: Mar 25 2012, 10:25 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Yamper
post Mar 27 2012, 07:33 AM
Post #203

Axew and Volcarona enthusiast
Group Icon

Member No.: 61 211

Invisible Kyurem

I'm not too fond of Homework - however when it comes to revision I'll quite gladly throw away all forms of a Social Life I have. Although, I'm fond of it in a way when I don't understand it.

It gives me a chance to sit down and read over something, without having the pressure of a teacher asking me questions on something I'm unsure of. I can sit down with friends and we help each other and further develop our understanding of various subjects cat.gif

--------------------

Don't forget to love yourself.
Add me for daily clicks: 873/1000

[align=center]---

Community Thread Shiny List!

---[/align]
[align=right]Breeding Incentives: Mission Cards
[/align]
+Quote Post

Alphaeon
post Mar 27 2012, 10:55 PM
Post #204

May the stars watch over you.
Group Icon

Member No.: 78 909

Legends of Age

Whether you think homework is useful or not, it's best you get used to it. Because the amount of homework I had in high school is absolutely nothing compared to the amount I get here in college.

My college is known for being real intense with homework, but still.

And it's done to prepare you for the real world. When you have a job and they give you things to do, you need to do them whether you like it or not. Whether it's tedious or not.

This post has been edited by TheOceansGuardian: Mar 27 2012, 11:02 PM
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Mar 29 2012, 02:34 PM
Post #205

I'm in space...space...spacespace
Group Icon

Member No.: 30 281

space team

QUOTE(TheOceansGuardian @ Mar 27 2012, 10:55 PM) *
Whether you think homework is useful or not, it's best you get used to it. Because the amount of homework I had in high school is absolutely nothing compared to the amount I get here in college.

My college is known for being real intense with homework, but still.

And it's done to prepare you for the real world. When you have a job and they give you things to do, you need to do them whether you like it or not. Whether it's tedious or not.

A lot of it depends on the school you go to, and what classes you're going to be taking. Generally, the science classes at my school base the grade on 3-4 tests, and small bits of weekly homework (no more than 3-4 hours for that week in homework). The English and History classes are stereotypical for busywork. What I've noticed is the amount of homework you're expected to be responsible for is dependent on how required it is for everyone, and how far up the totem pole it is in your major. Core classes meant for everyone tend to have a lot of homework, while those that are specific to your major will have smaller amounts of homework. Then you get to higher level classes where your homework is this single big project worth the whole grade.

With that, though, I will say this (again, given I've said it twice already), in classes that you don't have a higher degree of skill or interest in, you want homework. Mine was History, and I was barely floating above the surface in one class based entirely on two tests and a quiz. Homework makes a good grade buffer, and tends to be a good study aid. You shouldn't automatically condemn it just because it gets in the way of your sleep, or social life. If you're going to college, school should be your main priority anyway. No one makes you go to college, or cares if you quit, not like they do for high school, which is mandated.

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-
+Quote Post

Avadeya
post Apr 5 2012, 01:20 AM
Post #206

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 90 306

My Favorites

I don't think anyone actually likes homework, and most people would rather go without. However, at my school, the teachers are very thorough in class when going over examples and things like that with us, but I know that I would rather have an hour of math homework just to be sure I understand everything that's going on so I know I can do it when it comes time for testing and exams.

Some subjects might not need as much homework as say, Mathematics, but practice makes perfect and I'd rather do homework over and over again to the point of redundancy and annoyance than come into class during an exam and have forgotten everything we learned.

Because if we didn't have homework and the teachers did their normal speeches and one/two examples per lesson/chapter, and then left us to our own devices, how can you know that it's going to stick in your head?

So, I don't know if my ramblings made any kind of sense as it's 1:18 AM, but here's my point: I'd rather waste my time and be annoyed as hell with doing homework than come to class unprepared and end up failing.

Also, a tip: Homework isn't going to go away. Suck it up and do it instead of complain about it. point.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Apr 5 2012, 07:04 PM
Post #207

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

I like homework.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Ryuko
post Apr 6 2012, 04:16 AM
Post #208

Scarlet
Group Icon

Member No.: 83 356

Heaven's Wheel

QUOTE(Mercenary Raven @ Apr 6 2012, 10:04 AM) *
I like homework.

Not sure if serious...

As said somewhere above, I do six hours of school and I am now expected to do an extra 3 when I get home? I don't think so. I have failed 4 / 6 classes in the first term because I didn't do revision questions for each subject, but I am a fucking A grade student, I never take sick days or anything, but because I refuse to do questions about shit we're already learning I fail? Screw you.

I don't care about ATAR scores or going to university, I'm joining the fucking army as soon as I can leave. How do you like them fucking apples?

--------------------

"Violence, Lust and Betrayal"
And so is the Golden City blackened with each step you take in my Hall. Marvel at perfection, for it is fleeting.
You have brought Sin to Heaven and doom upon all the world.
-Threnodies 8:13

signature image too large; removed

~ Raven
+Quote Post

Nymatic
post Apr 6 2012, 12:11 PM
Post #209

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 148 092

Pokepals

Well, I find homework occasionally helpful on a subject that I don't really get, as long as we go over it in class the next day. That's originally the reason why schools made it up in the first place.

But nothing's worse than going to school, and having a teacher who gives out homework to simply keep kids " out of trouble " by giving them something to work just cause they can. Or a teacher who's too lazy to make up a curriculum, and simply assigns homework to make the students do work for them.

It could do so much more in the right hands, but I feel that isn't happening.

--------------------

On the hunt for fossil pokemon~
+Quote Post

LuckyDarkness
post Apr 6 2012, 12:39 PM
Post #210

The Name's Lucky...
Group Icon

Member No.: 67 867

The Guild Favorites

Well first I would like to say homework can be useful and non-useful. Say there is a subject you dont really understand. Homework can help you figure it out. Now say there is a subject you completely understand and you spend hours re-learning that subject, then you think homework is not useful. So there you have it. Personally I think homework is sometimes useful. But I would much rather be playing on gpx, or Pokemon mystery dungeon explorers of time. Haha nuf said.

--------------------

Groups Joined So Far... (click to show)

+Quote Post

Dmitri
post Apr 6 2012, 12:42 PM
Post #211

Lecherous Demon
Group Icon

Member No.: 155 791

Team Scourge

I personally think homework could be useful, but when it's something that takes hours to do, it shouldn't happen. People get enough of school at school. When you get home, you don't want to spend an extra two or three hours working on something you understand already.

I actually wouldn't mind school if there was a reasonable amount of homework, but when you spend an hour on reading and shit, that's just a little overboard. That's what I think is wrong with teachers these days; they assign homework freely without thinking of other assignments students must do, or if the students want free time to hang out.

--------------------
+Quote Post

LuckyDarkness
post Apr 6 2012, 12:46 PM
Post #212

The Name's Lucky...
Group Icon

Member No.: 67 867

The Guild Favorites

QUOTE(Narcissistic Cryosphere @ Apr 6 2012, 01:42 PM) *
I personally think homework could be useful, but when it's something that takes hours to do, it shouldn't happen. People get enough of school at school. When you get home, you don't want to spend an extra two or three hours working on something you understand already.

I actually wouldn't mind school if there was a reasonable amount of homework, but when you spend an hour on reading and shit, that's just a little overboard. That's what I think is wrong with teachers these days; they assign homework freely without thinking of other assignments students must do, or if the students want free time to hang out.

Completely agree.

--------------------

Groups Joined So Far... (click to show)

+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Apr 7 2012, 12:20 AM
Post #213

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

QUOTE(Marian Hawke @ Apr 6 2012, 05:16 AM) *
I like homework.

Not sure if serious...

No I'm serious, some of the stuff I do in homework is mind-blowing. It's hard to want to do it sometimes (well, a lot) this semester, but during semesters where I have more free time I absolutely love my homework because of how interesting some of the problems tend to get in my major.

--------------------
+Quote Post

purple umbreon
post Apr 7 2012, 06:16 AM
Post #214

How is it like to have a family?
Group Icon

Member No.: 155 777

my favorite team

I hate homework but I think its usefull.
But I often make homework on the train and the bus so I dont mind that much.

--------------------

Click to see my gallery

other stuff (click to show)
+Quote Post

Zombie Zekrom
post Apr 9 2012, 12:28 AM
Post #215

Got brains? σɰσ
Group Icon

Member No.: 136 881

Randoms <3

I think homework is useful when there's a reasonable amount. By 'reasonable', I mean 10-15 questions at most from each chapter or section for a grade, depending on the subject matter; if some people want/need to do extra practice problems to make sure they understand the material, then by all means go ahead and do it. I don't mind sitting down and doing a few problems/questions as long as it doesn't take me a long time (like an hour or two) to fully answer one question. It's even worse if I spend so much time focusing on one problem that takes a while to finish only to figure out I got the answer wrong, especially in something like math or chemistry.

Then again, all my classes are online, so I guess technically everything I do for them is homework... o3o.gif

--------------------

Various Things (click to show)
+Quote Post

Ryuko
post Apr 9 2012, 06:13 AM
Post #216

Scarlet
Group Icon

Member No.: 83 356

Heaven's Wheel

QUOTE(Mercenary Raven @ Apr 7 2012, 03:20 PM) *
QUOTE(Marian Hawke @ Apr 6 2012, 05:16 AM) *
I like homework.

Not sure if serious...

No I'm serious, some of the stuff I do in homework is mind-blowing. It's hard to want to do it sometimes (well, a lot) this semester, but during semesters where I have more free time I absolutely love my homework because of how interesting some of the problems tend to get in my major.

I guess when you find something you're interested in, all the work is worth it. You're lucky, not many people have what you have and I can honestly say I'm quite jealous.

--------------------

"Violence, Lust and Betrayal"
And so is the Golden City blackened with each step you take in my Hall. Marvel at perfection, for it is fleeting.
You have brought Sin to Heaven and doom upon all the world.
-Threnodies 8:13

signature image too large; removed

~ Raven
+Quote Post

FairyCharmed
post Apr 9 2012, 09:22 AM
Post #217

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 143 163

My Emerald Team

Homework... I'm neutral, to be honest. I mean, homework for some classes, it's easy, and so it's easy grades for me. However, for those longer ones, like essays and practice quizzes, are just... :/ Essays, yeah, they're really needed to help me learn how to research and see how it applies in the real world. However... I sometimes think more than one essay in a quarter (I live in the US, and I'm in high school) is just useless... One is enough per quarter, I think sad.gif

--------------------

Original art: Official Dream World art of Roserade
Pixelover (and subsequent recolor to shiny colors) by: Queen of Thorns
Nicknames: Rose, torchie (former name on here), Emmie (after a Pokesona of mine)
+Quote Post

NiteFrites
post Apr 11 2012, 09:45 AM
Post #218

The lovely bone that grew around me...
Group Icon

Member No.: 162 052

The Lovely Bones...

I'd say both. Homework is a consumption of time, yet it prepares a person for what is yet to come, and it helps a person practice what the've learned.

--------------------

+Quote Post

KrazyKarp
post Apr 29 2012, 07:40 PM
Post #219

KarpKarp
Group Icon

Member No.: 135 419

Super Karps

It depends on your school hours, when you come & exit the school, how many days a week, & how many days a year.
Some are having school year-round, so that is enough work for them and they should not be doing homework.
People like me, who have it Monday-Friday 8:10 A.M.-3:15 P.M., should have homework... I don't like it, but I think it's esential for life preperation.

--------------------
Hello everyone! I'm back from hiatus!
+Quote Post

post May 16 2012, 01:52 PM
Post #220

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 10 232

My favourites =3=

I liked homework, gave me a chance to test my knowledge.

--------------------
Mawile. <3
+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:33 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.