Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Atheists
TheNightSeeker
post Feb 28 2011, 02:35 PM
Post #121

Kylie Minogue Fan!
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 12 017

Active Squad

I'm an atheist and I go to a catholic school. I think the catholic religion is interesting, especially when we are studying it in Greek and getting the meaning out of bible verses, but I have no belief in God or Jesus. I don't know about all atheists being 'evil' though. If I decided to be Christian, wouldn't I be evil in the Sikh religion? I'm also open to religions and I don't put people down for what they believe in. I am not completely ignorant, because I would be interested to learn about other religions. I know a lot of Christians, and most of them are really nice people and I get along with them well because they are genuinely nice people, and we don't really care about each others religions

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

roygbiv
post Feb 28 2011, 05:25 PM
Post #122

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 125 915

hg team

my brothers church group says they are evil but thats not true they can be nice or mean people should not be judged based on belief only on charactor theres plenty of nice athiests and some mean ones i beleive only god should judge religion

--------------------
pokemon white friend code 3096 0916 2525
+Quote Post

Hitaka5Ever
post Mar 6 2011, 06:00 AM
Post #123

is deep in Hitaka Hell
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 97 935

Battle Subway Team

I was raised in a Christian household/family and growing up I had to go to church and Sunday school most of the time. Once I hit middle school final year, I converted to Atheism because I do not believe in the bible and whatnot. I support Atheists who don't care if you're part of a religion and just keep it to themselves. But I don't like Atheists who go around being jerks to religious people. I am Atheist but I love my family and I have religious friends and we get along just fine. I may not believe in a God and scriptures of religions, but I can tolerate it being around and I don't go around being a jerk. As far as "evil Atheists go", I don't believe they exist. As I said already, I'm Atheist, but I was raised to be a kind, caring person. Sure you have mean Atheists who spout how much they hate religions, but that doesn't make one "evil". As long as people don't try shoving their beliefs down my throat and/or try to convert me, I tolerate religions and the people associated with them
+Quote Post

The Unholy Diver
post May 11 2012, 10:50 PM
Post #124

The asteriotypical one
Group Icon

From: The wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell
Member No.: 161 989

Z's Team (so far)

QUOTE(LiteSpeed @ Nov 12 2010, 08:57 PM) *
So I was talking to the person next to me in class today, and brought up the topic of Atheism as I often do. I don't often befriend people who believe Atheists are evil and will go to Hell just cause they don't believe in a higher power, blah blah blah. So I figured I'd ask the member base here. What's your view on being Atheist?

-------------

Personally, I don't see a problem with having your own thoughts and beliefs. It's not like either side can be 100% proven, you just usually lean towards the side you think is better argued or supported.

I'm sort of mixed view here. If you are a good person and aren't offensively athiest then i don't care. if you are one of those there-is-no-such-thing as this and that and are arrogent about it then i don't like that. as long as you are open minded and not arrogent about it atheism is technically a religion and i won't care about what someone believes in. now if you are arrogent and ignorant about it, that's just offensive.

--------------------
Thanks to the mobile site, I'm back on gpx!

I CAN CLICK BACK NOW

credit (click to show)
+Quote Post

shore14
post May 11 2012, 11:10 PM
Post #125

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 163 935

Active Squad

ok so ive been lookong for awhile now and cant get a hit so i know this is off topic but i really want a growlithe but i cant offer anything good for it egg would be best thanks
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post May 12 2012, 02:06 AM
Post #126

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

QUOTE(shore14 @ May 12 2012, 12:10 AM) *
ok so ive been lookong for awhile now and cant get a hit so i know this is off topic but i really want a growlithe but i cant offer anything good for it egg would be best thanks
This is not the trade station.

--------------------
+Quote Post

post May 16 2012, 01:55 PM
Post #127

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 10 232

My favourites =3=

Born a Catholic, raised a Catholic, went to a convent school, realised science held the answers, decided to become a geneticist, became an atheist because religion filed to make sense any more.
I was never really devout but it was just a matter of realising I didn't need to have a religion.

--------------------
Mawile. <3
+Quote Post

purple umbreon
post May 16 2012, 01:59 PM
Post #128

How is it like to have a family?
Group Icon

Member No.: 155 777

my favorite team

I am Christian. But I don't care for religions at all.
You just believe in what you want to believe, God or no god.

--------------------

Click to see my gallery

other stuff (click to show)
+Quote Post

Dmitri
post May 16 2012, 02:12 PM
Post #129

Lecherous Demon
Group Icon

Member No.: 155 791

Team Scourge

Atheists and Christians and all religions can act the same way. Your religion has nothing to do with your personality. Not all Christians are amazing, not all Atheists are douchebags.
So, yeah.
/atheist myself

--------------------
+Quote Post

jellybean chi
post Mar 19 2013, 11:46 PM
Post #130

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 184 458

Avengers Assemble!

when i was younger i had a friend who was some kind of egyptian paganist or something but he didn't believe in God or Heaven, so i asked him why he believed that if he was going to go to hell for it. i was a stupid, ignorant kid, and that was before i got a full blast jesus mode education. i respect everyone's beliefs now that i'm educated, but i will lose that respect immediately if said atheist boasts they are more justified in claiming there is no God than i am for claiming there is a God just because his or her claim is "based on science." i may be a jesus freak, but i'm a really literal scientific one, and it doesn't seem very "scientific" to me for someone to claim something so definitely and sure with no proof to support their claim. an atheist can't prove the nonexistence of a higher being, it's just not possible. at least any more than i can actually prove the existence of the higher being, which i can't. that's why i respect their belief until a certain extent.
atheists should also know that religion isn't what makes us have faith, but the God Himself. That's what i believe, anyway.
+Quote Post

Vixenite
post Jun 4 2013, 12:17 AM
Post #131

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 119 451

Active Squad

QUOTE(FancyGranola @ Nov 17 2010, 04:47 AM) *
QUOTE(FrenzyClinic @ Nov 17 2010, 12:38 AM) *
I'm atheist/agnostic.

I'm not attacking you personally, but there is a distinct difference in the words you just used. Atheist means you do not believe in God. Agnostic means you believe there might be a God, a cosmic being, or whatever.

Do not get those two mixed up because they lead to very different discussions. I do not like how kids these days just throw around vocabulary that they might not 100% understand and yet they use it like they know what they mean.

It's funny how many completely wrong things you say in this discussion, like this. Atheist and Agnostic are not mutually exclusive, and you CAN label yourself as an atheist and still believe there's a possibility a god might exist.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Azor Ahai
post Jun 4 2013, 03:39 PM
Post #132

K N E E L
Group Icon

Member No.: 188 146

Diamond Defence

Topics like this are mostly decided by the people who post in it, you can only get a fair answer if equal amounts post here and give their perspective and obviously differing sides on it. So far i'm seeing one side's presence here more than the other.

In all honesty i believe there is a God but the way it's brought across to me as an individual is questionable. Same with there not being one/ even the possibility of there being one(this just shows being indecisive to me).

It's all in your questioning who you are and the inner mechanisms of how the World operates, that's what'll give you your answer, in my honest but humble opinion.

Atheism is a choice, just like doing anything in this world. No one should be bashed for it as respect is a pivotal part of human relations.

That's just my 2 cents.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Jun 4 2013, 07:22 PM
Post #133

Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Rainbow Dash x @ Jun 4 2013, 12:17 AM) *
I'm atheist/agnostic.

I'm not attacking you personally, but there is a distinct difference in the words you just used. Atheist means you do not believe in God. Agnostic means you believe there might be a God, a cosmic being, or whatever.

Do not get those two mixed up because they lead to very different discussions. I do not like how kids these days just throw around vocabulary that they might not 100% understand and yet they use it like they know what they mean.

It's funny how many completely wrong things you say in this discussion, like this. Atheist and Agnostic are not mutually exclusive, and you CAN label yourself as an atheist and still believe there's a possibility a god might exist.

chillll son that post is like 3 years old at this point lol

--------------------
+Quote Post

Vixenite
post Jun 5 2013, 01:45 AM
Post #134

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Lord Raven @ Jun 4 2013, 08:22 PM) *
QUOTE(Rainbow Dash x @ Jun 4 2013, 12:17 AM) *
I'm atheist/agnostic.

chillll son that post is like 3 years old at this point lol

Really doesn't matter - this place is for debate, and I'm debating. It's said that you debate more for your audience than the person you're actually engaged with, and that's very true. No one challenged him on his point, so I corrected it for the people who read it and actually thought it was true.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Jun 5 2013, 11:32 PM
Post #135

Group Icon

Active Squad

I don't really care too much about the content of your post nor the fact that you responded, it's your tone. Perception is reality and the fact that you sounded irritated and on top of that condescending to a semi-harmless post from 3 years ago is what I was talking more about than your actual point. The way you express your thoughts has almost equal weight as the thoughts themselves, perception is reality, etc

--------------------
+Quote Post

Vixenite
post Jun 6 2013, 06:17 AM
Post #136

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Lord Raven @ Jun 6 2013, 12:32 AM) *
I don't really care too much about the content of your post nor the fact that you responded, it's your tone. Perception is reality and the fact that you sounded irritated and on top of that condescending to a semi-harmless post from 3 years ago is what I was talking more about than your actual point. The way you express your thoughts has almost equal weight as the thoughts themselves, perception is reality, etc

You shouldn't debate tone, you should debate the points. I really disagree with the assertion that tone can be equal to the actual content. My tone was not intentionally aggressive. It's a fact that he was saying a lot of incorrect things throughout his postings, it's not an insult to say someone is wrong. I never once insulted him.

His tone was very rude and condescending to begin with. With sentences such as "I do not like how kids these days just throw around vocabulary that they might not 100% understand and yet they use it like they know what they mean." - made even worse by the fact that he is wrong. I find it odd that you call out my tone whilst ignoring his much worse and much more hostile tone. I understand the post is old, but you did call it "harmless" while insinuating that there was something wrong with my tone.

This post has been edited by Rainbow Dash x: Jun 6 2013, 07:36 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Jun 6 2013, 05:46 PM
Post #137

Group Icon

Active Squad

Rainbow Dash let us continue this in another thread. Note that I'm not warning you or anything near that extent, by the way, I'm just stating my opinion that you should probably chill, evaluate the context, and take into account how your post could look when evaluated in context before picking a point to dissect lol

--------------------
+Quote Post

Yamper
post Jun 6 2013, 06:01 PM
Post #138

Axew and Volcarona enthusiast
Group Icon

Member No.: 61 211

Invisible Kyurem

QUOTE(Rainbow Dash x @ Jun 4 2013, 06:17 AM) *
I'm atheist/agnostic.

Throwing my own penny in the fountain here but

What's the point in having 2 groups if they're not exclusive? I just. What.

If you don't believe in a God or some higher power then that's fine. But surely if you don't believe in something like that, then you can't say they also think there's a possibility that a God might exist. Because that would be pretty much Agnostic.

I'm probably reading this entirely wrong or I fluked my religion class, but I'm pretty sure you can't be both Agnostic and Atheist at one time :l Essentially saying you're Atheist but also believing there's a possibility of a God cancels out the whole Atheist thinking and sits you in Agnostic.

My brain hurts trying to understand all of what you said and how you thought of it in the first place graaaah (this is also the part where I look like a complete tit because I'm wrong)

This post has been edited by Samoo: Jun 6 2013, 06:03 PM

--------------------

Don't forget to love yourself.
Add me for daily clicks: 873/1000

[align=center]---

Community Thread Shiny List!

---[/align]
[align=right]Breeding Incentives: Mission Cards
[/align]
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Jun 6 2013, 06:05 PM
Post #139

Group Icon

Active Squad

Yeah I definitely thought Atheists were firm with their beliefs but Agnostics were generally soft and open. I know Agnostics are further split up into something along the lines of weak and strong - the former being more apathetic (and probably actually Apatheistic) and the latter being very contemplative. Of course, there's probably more of a spectrum thing here, because I have a hard time believing Agnostics come in two flavors. Here's to say, it may seem like they're the same on the surface but they're pretty mutually exclusive as far as I can tell lol

--------------------
+Quote Post

Synx Itax
post Jun 9 2013, 07:42 PM
Post #140

A learning vessel of several lessons to make me more clever.
Group Icon

Member No.: 23 405

My Loves

Atheism and agnosticism are not mutually exclusive. The former deals with belief, and the latter deals with knowledge. I am an agnostic atheist -- I don't believe any kind of god exists, but I don't claim to know if he/she/it/they does/do. I used to subscribe to the "agnostics just aren't sure..." but if you look at the roots of the word, belief vs. knowledge makes sense.

There are also gnostic atheists (or as well call them "hard atheists") who claim to know that a god doesn't exist. Same applies to religious people.

But surely if you don't believe in something like that, then you can't say they also think there's a possibility that a God might exist. Because that would be pretty much Agnostic.

Nope. I admit that there is a possibility that a god exists of some kind, just like there's a possibility that the Loch Ness monster exists. I just don't believe in either until the burden of proof for believing in them is met.

This post has been edited by Synx Itax: Jun 9 2013, 07:44 PM

--------------------

Check my GPXPlus journal to see what I contributed to the site!

Interested in a commission? PM me.
+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:21 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.