Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
I feel bad for some GPX+ users...
Diana Marie
post Jul 16 2009, 01:21 AM
Post #1

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 45 166

Active Squad

I've seen so many people get flamed on these forums.
I just think that GPX+, as a small community, should try to be more affable.
Do you think GPX+ needs to work on being friendly, or is it fine the way it is?

--------------------
Warm my eggs & Feed my pokemon? Click here.

I return clicks && Full party click everyone!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Andy
post Jul 16 2009, 01:24 AM
Post #2

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 17 015

Active Squad

There's way too much fighting, too much tension. Obviously, there's something wrong in that picture.
*Coughs.*

-Hugs.-

Yay love.
<3

--------------------

Your touch intensifies,
And I'm in the Quicksand
+Quote Post

DoggyEars
post Jul 16 2009, 01:25 AM
Post #3

Fire and Flames~
Group Icon

Member No.: 18 414

~<3

GPX+ isn't really small >>; People here seem nice enough. But, I haven't gone many places other then this board, the General RolePlay, and Art Request.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Diana Marie
post Jul 16 2009, 01:28 AM
Post #4

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

GPX+ isn't really small >>; People here seem nice enough. But, I haven't gone many places other then this board, the General RolePlay, and Art Request.

Believe me. It's very small.

&& I know this topic can be controversial (and most likely admins and mods will lock it), but I think the opinions could help others maybe try and be nicer.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Minccino
post Jul 16 2009, 01:39 AM
Post #5

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 40 903

Active Squad

Yeah I get what you mean. The staff are definitely different to other online communities I've been to. I saw Wymsy's post where she stated you aren't allowed to talk about events.. From what I remember, she didn't state why.. she just said she wants to see how many would actually listen. dumblook.gif I've grown up with a control freak for a father so I'm used to it. I won't complain. facepalm.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

Diana Marie
post Jul 16 2009, 01:42 AM
Post #6

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

Yeah I get what you mean. The staff are definitely different to other online communities I've been to. I saw Wymsy's post where she stated you aren't allowed to talk about events.. From what I remember, she didn't state why.. she just said she wants to see how many would actually listen. dumblook.gif I've grown up with a control freak for a father so I'm used to it. I won't complain. facepalm.gif

Don't you think just seeing how many people would listen is kind of mind game material?
The point of game discussion thread is to discuss current events and such.

Anyways, I've seen people get flamed by admins and such.
The users are probably small maybe even like 7 and 9. It probably hurts some of them when they get flamed.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Avegaille
post Jul 16 2009, 01:42 AM
Post #7

Stalker of Eggs.
Group Icon

Member No.: 15 075

Kinky Team

I am not sure if I get what you mean.

You can't expect everyone to be friendly with you right away. It takes weeks, or even months before you can say that this place is full of friendly people (and a lot of posting around all areas, if you ask me). It's the internet, you can't expect people to be friendly with you right away. Of course, whoever those flamers are, they don't really last long in this kind of place since, well, either they get banned or they just leave after they've done their work and become forgotten eventually.

A little tip: Follow the rules, stalk/lurk the threads before making any topic, post in places like Forum Games, and make sure your posts are understandable and you'll see that some people will start to take interest in you and ask to become friends with you.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Diana Marie
post Jul 16 2009, 01:48 AM
Post #8

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

You can't expect everyone to be friendly with you right away. It takes weeks, or even months before you can say that this place is full of friendly people (and a lot of posting around all areas, if you ask me). It's the internet, you can't expect people to be friendly with you right away. Of course, whoever those flamers are, they don't really last long in this kind of place since, well, either they get banned or they just leave after they've done their work and become forgotten eventually.

A little tip: Follow the rules, stalk/lurk the threads before making any topic, post in places like Forum Games, and make sure your posts are understandable and you'll see that some people will start to take interest in you and ask to become friends with you.

Oh, I know that. The thing is, as administration, it's your job to politely, in the most friendly manner, correct the user if there is a mistake. I think this place is a little tense with the moderating.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Pikagrue
post Jul 16 2009, 01:52 AM
Post #9

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 8 690

herp derp

QUOTE(Diana Marie @ Jul 15 2009, 11:48 PM) *
Oh, I know that. The thing is, as administration, it's your job to politely, in the most friendly manner, correct the user if there is a mistake. I think this place is a little tense with the moderating.

Really, though, it's not. An administrator can set the rules however they want to, and they can enforce and apply them however they want to. There is nothing that says the owner of a site has to be polite, friendly, or nice to anyone. It's their playground, after all. They're just letting you use it.

--------------------
|

It is pitch black. I am very likely to eat you.
90% of internet users fail to understand basic arithmetic. If you are one of the 12% that do, paste this into your sig.
+Quote Post

Rua
post Jul 16 2009, 01:52 AM
Post #10

No-life shiny collector
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 9 747

~o-O-o-O-o~

QUOTE(grabbit @ Jul 16 2009, 02:39 AM) *

Though I never did agree with the decision to ban event threads entirely - in Wymsy's defense, there actually was a reason. Basically, the last one became a huge (and I mean 100 page huge, or something to that degree if I remember correctly) off-topic mess.

With that said, the admins on here have an... interesting sense of humour (read: Ragetillery) so I think the 'how many would actually listen' was another inside joke.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Toda
post Jul 16 2009, 02:02 AM
Post #11

Darling, don't be afraid
Group Icon

Member No.: 14 208

Alpha Sapphire Team

QUOTE(Diana Marie @ Jul 16 2009, 02:48 AM) *

Seriously, think about it.

You have a rather large forum (check the online users) full of people that range from the ages of 7 to let's say....40. That is a HUGE age range and having as little fights/flaming as their is, I'd say this board is doing rather well. Like someone pointed out, it's hard to judge a person's attitude by just text and seeing that some of these younger kids can be brash due to their nature of age, the adult are doing rather well dealing with it.

As for mods, you're going to have to expect that. I'm sure they had closed, locked and warned people about the same thing at LEAST 10 times a month if not more. Also, a rule is to report threads to them and I'm sure a lot of users do so. They close them or redirect them. After doing this SO many times, I can see why they aren't the most pleasant at times. It's human nature. We all get annoyed at repeated things.

About being strict, tough luck. It's their place, their rules. It keeps unnecessary and multiple things from popping up. Just today someone made a thread about something that was back 1 page and they never bothered to look. I'm sure it's also to keep people on their toes so they don't think twice about making unnecessary threads more than some already do. The BIGGEST problem on this forum is people not READING anything in which ticks off the mods and other members.

There are a lot of factors that play into what you're pointing out. Especially since you've only been on the forum for a few days. You have to look at the big picture and put yourself in others shoes before judging things.

And if some of what I said doesn't make sense, sorry. It's 3am here.

--------------------
[align=center]
I was once a berry smart person and a mass clicker (when it was hard to do).
Now I am an old man and don't understand your technology.
[/align]
+Quote Post

Diana Marie
post Jul 16 2009, 02:04 AM
Post #12

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Blu Aardvark @ Jul 16 2009, 12:52 AM) *
QUOTE(Diana Marie @ Jul 15 2009, 11:48 PM) *

Really, though, it's not. An administrator can set the rules however they want to, and they can enforce and apply them however they want to. There is nothing that says the owner of a site has to be polite, friendly, or nice to anyone. It's their playground, after all. They're just letting you use it.

It would be smart as an administrator to be nice.
Seriously, a lot of people will stop being active in forums because of the rudeness of some of the staff.
This site was created for others. As an admin to the site they should try and please their customers.
Eventually it will come back at you.
For instance, if I was flamed by Zerx, like Drifty was in her thread, I would be seriously hurt.
It's mean,
It's hurtful,
And no one appreciates it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Diana Marie
post Jul 16 2009, 02:10 AM
Post #13

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Toda @ Jul 16 2009, 01:02 AM) *
QUOTE(Diana Marie @ Jul 16 2009, 02:48 AM) *

Oh, I know that. The thing is, as administration, it's your job to politely, in the most friendly manner, correct the user if there is a mistake. I think this place is a little tense with the moderating. If they are stressed by their jobs, that's their own problem. There is no need to take it out on the users.

Seriously, think about it.

You have a rather large forum (check the online users) full of people that range from the ages of 7 to let's say....40. That is a HUGE age range and having as little fights/flaming as their is, I'd say this board is doing rather well. Like someone pointed out, it's hard to judge a person's attitude by just text and seeing that some of these younger kids can be brash due to their nature of age, the adult are doing rather well dealing with it.

As for mods, you're going to have to expect that. I'm sure they had closed, locked and warned people about the same thing at LEAST 10 times a month if not more. Also, a rule is to report threads to them and I'm sure a lot of users do so. They close them or redirect them. After doing this SO many times, I can see why they aren't the most pleasant at times. It's human nature. We all get annoyed at repeated things.

About being strict, tough luck. It's their place, their rules. It keeps unnecessary and multiple things from popping up. Just today someone made a thread about something that was back 1 page and they never bothered to look. I'm sure it's also to keep people on their toes so they don't think twice about making unnecessary threads more than some already do. The BIGGEST problem on this forum is people not READING anything in which ticks off the mods and other members.

There are a lot of factors that play into what you're pointing out. Especially since you've only been on the forum for a few days. You have to look at the big picture and put yourself in others shoes before judging things.

And if some of what I said doesn't make sense, sorry. It's 3am here.

I see your point. I do understand. I'm an admin at a forums site also.

The thing is, as a moderator, it is your JOB to moderate the forums and lock topics and such. If they can't handle the repetition that comes with the job, then it isn't the job for them. If they can't handle the stress of the job, they shouldn't take it out on others.

Note: I'm sorry about the double posting. I didn't know that the post above was mine.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Pikagrue
post Jul 16 2009, 02:13 AM
Post #14

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

herp derp

QUOTE(Diana Marie @ Jul 16 2009, 12:04 AM) *
Seriously, a lot of people will stop being active in forums because of the rudeness of some of the staff.

And I'm sure those staff are shedding huge crocodile tears over the members that stop being active.

This site was created for others. As an admin to the site they should try and please their customers.

There are no customers. There are only guests. Those who follow the guidelines of the community are welcome guests. Those that don't follow the guidelines are unwelcome guests, and if the admin wants to make that clear to them, that is their right.

Please note, I speak only from my own experience moderating forums.

For instance, if I was flamed by Zerx, like Drifty was in her thread, I would be seriously hurt.
It's mean,
It's hurtful,

Hi, and welcome to the internet.

This post has been edited by Blu Aardvark: Jul 16 2009, 02:14 AM

--------------------
|

90% of internet users fail to understand basic arithmetic. If you are one of the 12% that do, paste this into your sig.
+Quote Post

Diana Marie
post Jul 16 2009, 02:19 AM
Post #15

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Blu Aardvark @ Jul 16 2009, 01:13 AM) *

And I'm sure those staff are shedding huge crocodile tears over the members that stop being active.

There are no customers. There are only guests.
Those who follow the guidelines of the community are welcome guests. Those that don't follow the guidelines are unwelcome guests, and if the admin wants to make that clear to them, that is their right.

Please note, I speak only from my own experience moderating forums.

It's mean,
It's hurtful,

Hi, and welcome to the internet.

Yes, they are customers. I don't think the money to pay for the site falls out of the sky.
It comes from the amount of people on a site that click the banners and such.
Less people = less cash.
That's how . com's work
FYI: .com stands for commercial otherwise known as advertisement. It's basically a money making business. Hence: customers

--------------------

+Quote Post

Avegaille
post Jul 16 2009, 02:20 AM
Post #16

Stalker of Eggs.
Group Icon

Kinky Team

QUOTE(Diana Marie @ Jul 16 2009, 02:48 PM) *

Netiquette? Ah, let me check it up first... hmm, doesn't say anything about that. All I see is this:

http://www.albion.com/netiquette/rule3.html happy.gif

Admins can do whatever they want since they run the place, as Toda says... (and even did all the coding for this plus paying for the site). And we're only members here, so... we can't do anything about it. Read that, see if it helps you.

And also this: http://www.albion.com/netiquette/rule5.html

It seems that you're already not making good use of Rule no. 5 by creating this topic here. xD;

----

Oh btw, that's nothing compared to SPPf when it comes to staff flaming members. Have you seen a mod there change the topic title a member created (but of course this member didn't lurk enough and yeah, it turned out to be a duplicate topic). Happens all the time. Heck, there was also an incident where mods there were ganging up on a certain member for simply "being annoying" and that member left eventually. But you know what, SPPf, as of today, still has many members posting. Of course, the quality of the place degraded.

If you feel that this place will degrade like what I gave as an example, well, that's the choice of the staff.

As of now, I don't see it happening. If only members would behave, yep.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Kazz
post Jul 16 2009, 02:25 AM
Post #17

Elite Four
Group Icon

Member No.: 32 330

Active Squad

On many sites I always see people saying "It's just the internet" as if that means courtesy only applies to the "real world." Last time I checked it was real people using the internet. I don't think this forum is as bad as some but there's two mods in particular who can't seem to post without a smart alecky comment. I understand that it's not easy and they may be dealing with things outside of GPX+ but guess what, so is everyone else. Doesn't give anyone the right to be a jerk.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Diana Marie
post Jul 16 2009, 02:29 AM
Post #18

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Avegaille @ Jul 16 2009, 01:20 AM) *
QUOTE(Diana Marie @ Jul 16 2009, 02:48 PM) *

Netiquette? Ah, let me check it up first... hmm, doesn't say anything about that. All I see is this:

http://www.albion.com/netiquette/rule3.html happy.gif

Admins can do whatever they want since they run the place, as Toda says... (and even did all the coding for this plus paying for the site). And we're only members here, so... we can't do anything about it. Read that, see if it helps you.

And also this: http://www.albion.com/netiquette/rule5.html

It seems that you're already not making good use of Rule no. 5 by creating this topic here. xD;

----

Oh btw, that's nothing compared to SPPf when it comes to staff flaming members. Have you seen a mod there change the topic title a member created (but of course this member didn't lurk enough and yeah, it turned out to be a duplicate topic). Happens all the time. Heck, there was also an incident where mods there were ganging up on a certain member for simply "being annoying" and that member left eventually. But you know what, SPPf, as of today, still has many members posting. Of course, the quality of the place degraded.

If you feel that this place will degrade like what I gave as an example, well, that's the choice of the staff.

As of now, I don't see it happening. If only members would behave, yep.

Well, I guess it's the choice of the staff. It's their money.
And as for rule 5, I don't see how this topic would make me look "bad". If anything the site should be welcome to feedback to it's users. They want to please their users, or at least they should.

QUOTE(Nayz)
On many sites I always see people saying "It's just the internet" as if that means courtesy only applies to the "real world." Last time I checked it was real people using the internet. I don't think this forum is as bad as some but there's two mods in particular who can't seem to post without a smart alecky comment. I understand that it's not easy and they may be dealing with things outside of GPX+ but guess what, so is everyone else. Doesn't give anyone the right to be a jerk.

Amen, sistah! or brother?
This is my point exactly.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Avegaille
post Jul 16 2009, 02:35 AM
Post #19

Stalker of Eggs.
Group Icon

Kinky Team

QUOTE(Diana Marie @ Jul 16 2009, 03:19 PM) *
Yes, they are customers. I don't think the money to pay for the site falls out of the sky.
Less people = less cash.
That's how . com's work
FYI: .com stands for commercial otherwise known as advertisement. It's basically a money making business. Hence: customers

You know what, you're not making sense anymore. Do you know that domain we're using? It's .net, not .com. happy.gif Yeah, this is what I mean by Rule no. 5. Also, if you wanted to give feedback, wouldn't doing it privately be more appropriate? We're not customers, we don't pay for anything, the ads we see is what we used to pay (I only view text ads due to lagging dial up thanks to my newly discovered FlashBlock if you're wondering... >_>), we're only users. If we were customers, we would be referred to that in the first place by this forum, but you know what, we're not.

Net means network (obviously). Their network. You don't like their network, then, I suggest you find a place where "your standards will actually be met."

FYI, I don't consider the post Zerxer made there "flaming". He made a good point there "somehow" without insulting the person with random bullshit.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Pikagrue
post Jul 16 2009, 02:35 AM
Post #20

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

herp derp

QUOTE(Diana Marie @ Jul 16 2009, 12:19 AM) *
Less people = less cash.
That's how . com's work

Thank you for your deliberately condescending post. I'm quite aware how commercial websites make money by selling advertisement space, thank you very much.

It's all a moot point anyway, however, as any user who is stupid enough to come to a forum and get on the wrong side of the administrators almost immediately probably wouldn't stick around that long in the first place - even if the administrator had the patience of Yoda and a hippy-go-lucky attitude. And here's the kicker - nobody really misses them..

This post has been edited by Blu Aardvark: Jul 16 2009, 02:36 AM

--------------------
|

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 08:49 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.