Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

READ ME FIRST

DO NOT make any 'click my eggs/Pokémon' threads/posts or any 'what is this egg' threads/posts or you WILL be warned 10% instantly!

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
wow the forums harsh
zeron
post Jun 8 2009, 08:26 AM
Post #1

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 21 312

Active Squad

i respect that this forum has actual active mods but some of the thing a kinda shot to kill any slight question about the eggs is immediately killed. even if its not what egg is this. some newer person was asking is there a major dif between legends and normal some one told him one word and it got it locked. yes i understand they dont want descriptions but just to ease a mind is kill thread.
i saw the recent kill of there only what egg is this thread. i thought this to be harsh toward legitimate users concidering two major things one they already have a warning a kill method were you get 10% or more against you thing. i've seen derogatory term said toward those asking why but melted together so not to be disciplined for it or saying you should be able to figure it out its easy with the description. i've played pokemon sense it came out in 95 for pokemon red and blue all the way to diamond and pearl, and i still can't identify alot of them either because description is fague or the egg looks nothing like the pokemon.
i feel sry for the legit players of this sight. but some times the innocent are cought in the line of fire
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Helios
post Jun 8 2009, 08:35 AM
Post #2

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 27 465

Soon:

I'm not sure i understood you , but i think you are talking about the identify your egg thread.
I believe it was deleted not only because it had spam , identifying your egg is a party of this game , so ask other people to identify it is ruining the fun.
Anyway i think this thread is not allowed.

--------------------

{}
Starters collection - COMPLETED (click to show)
+Quote Post

Nichaling
post Jun 8 2009, 08:42 AM
Post #3

Lurker.
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 7 777

You just have to hatch the egg to see what's inside. Easy. I don't see the problem here and it ended up that people knew what the egg was, but posting for it to be identify because they wanted clicks. And having a suprise when the egg hatches is always fun. Even if it's not the Pokemon you wanted, you can always get back to the shelter/lab to try to get the Pokemon you want.

Oh, and I don't want to be a "leche-botte", but I like the moderators here, they are strict and it's because of that that the forum/site can be enjoyable. Your making a good job guys~

This post has been edited by Nichaling: Jun 8 2009, 08:44 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

zeron
post Jun 8 2009, 08:54 AM
Post #4

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

so far i have been going through the rules and i have specificly tried to make the post so not against the rules and did make its own topic in a general discussion area. and mini-modding is technically against the rules. to tell others they did some thing wrong i know its weird but thats what they have up.
pokemon is suppose to be a friendly environment were people help each other and have fun. so if someone wanted to help its up to them. as i stated before i know people were abusing but thats what the warn system was for to weed those out. and if it really came down to every one putting there just to get clicked you can go to stats on gpx+ go to last member that did anything and click them and get clicked back it would be like getting rid of the user stat page if to get that techincal

as i stated to im happy to see a sight were the mods were active but generalizing people is something that hurts more than help at times shown in the past
+Quote Post

Twisted
post Jun 8 2009, 09:01 AM
Post #5

Resident Man-Dancer
Group Icon

Member No.: 17 296

Active Squad

QUOTE(zeron @ Jun 8 2009, 09:54 AM) *
so far i have been going through the rules and i have specificly tried to make the post so not against the rules and did make its own topic in a general discussion area. and mini-modding is technically against the rules. to tell others they did some thing wrong i know its weird but thats what they have up.
pokemon is suppose to be a friendly environment were people help each other and have fun. so if someone wanted to help its up to them. as i stated before i know people were abusing but thats what the warn system was for to weed those out. and if it really came down to every one putting there just to get clicked you can go to stats on gpx+ go to last member that did anything and click them and get clicked back it would be like getting rid of the user stat page if to get that techincal

as i stated to im happy to see a sight were the mods were active but generalizing people is something that hurts more than help at times shown in the past

I think what it's coming down to at this point was, "The Identify your Egg thread was a hassle, too much rule breaking posts in there, and the mods/admins have a life outside of GPX+". Correct me if I'm wrong. xD But anyways, the reason everything is so strict is to retain the fun value of the site.

If there is such a thing as a fun value. xD

--------------------

I really like it when people click these eggs, because I like returning clicks...more than random clicking.
+Quote Post

Archae
post Jun 8 2009, 09:05 AM
Post #6

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 25 472

Active Squad

QUOTE(zeron @ Jun 8 2009, 06:54 AM) *

They're just trying to get people to be independent and pay attention. If they want to know what their egg will be, they could look at its heritage or find other eggs like it and look at those eggs' heritage. The moderators are very strict because they don't want anyone posting useless threads that already have been answered or, if about the events, that they don't want publicly discussed so that you can get a surprise from it. This isn't about what "Pokemon" is, it's about Pokemon and having a website that's not falling apart. I think the mods are good at what they do, I've never been on a forum with such active mods and it's definitely a new experience for me too.

--------------------

Shiny Pokemon

I click back every time unless somehow unfortunately I don't make it to the day's recorded clicks on time. But that hasn't happened yet!
I claim Lapras lapras.gif and Ampharos ampharos.gif
+Quote Post

zeron
post Jun 8 2009, 09:13 AM
Post #7

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

well im happy to see everyone keeping a positive attitude and no major slander like some sites i've been to. when i get up in a couple hours i hope to read some more positive post on this thread please no bashing peoples opinions. after all like i said pokemon is suppose to be a positive community with people supporting each other i don't mind if any one pm's me good or bad ill read it but please keep the post positive
+Quote Post

Pokii
post Jun 8 2009, 09:23 AM
Post #8

Adorable Demonic Pinecone
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 2 319

ORAS Team

I suppose this was inevitable, as my good friend Agent Smith would say...

Ok

Why we lock so many threads like that: Because there are so many. You have no idea how many of those things pop up, even while the Identify your egg thread was still open. But now Zerxer's decided to close it and I'm not going to cover why because I already did in a couple threads in B/Q/S.

And in all honesty, we're not trying to be mean. It's just that the same dumb questions on the same things we've either A) already answered in the stickied threads and/or the FAQ Thread, or B) something that's not allowed to have a thread created for it because it's causing too many problems or the admins just don't want threads about it.

But this forum is crazy. I'm sure it's easy to believe that this forum gets the most posts a day, and it also gets the most reports. Reports of people making unnecessary copies of existing threads and threads that we post at the top of every page in big giant text that we don't want any more threads of and that they will be locked on sight and warned for because again, for the millionth time, they're unnecessary and people don't look for existing ones or read the rules...

I'm sure there have been threads where mods/admins have been unfair in locking/warning them, myself included, but you have to see it from our perspective. When you've got a forum full of a huge flood of posts flowing in and a ton of them are ones you've repeatedly had to deal and are against the rules that everyone was supposed to read anyway, I think you can sort of see how that'd get on your nerves a little?

I try to be as nice as possible. I was a normal member once. I still am. The only difference is a different status and some funky powers. I still have to follow the rules, just like everyone else, so I don't see why it should be so hard...

--------------------
| | | | |

Make me an avatar!

Spoiler (click to showhide)
+Quote Post

Letan
post Jun 8 2009, 03:08 PM
Post #9

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 1 219

Lugia Hype

The Identify Your Egg thread was closed with good reason. There were 112 Reports that pertained to posts within that thread. Just one thread. Saying that's bad is a severe understatement. At first, people were behaving in it, but as time went on, people began using it as a chatroom, using it for click-begging, etc. It's not that we're generalizing and saying that everyone here is misbehaving, it's that a large portion of posts in that thread broke the rules. Trust me, dealing with 30+ reports daily doesn't go by quickly.

Sure, I somewhat agree about locking topics unfairly. That's why I wait for questions to be answered AND for the original poster to make another post after the question has been answered before I close it. However, so many people don't read important topics or even use the Search function to find their question before asking. Answering the same question over and over again gets irritating not just for those whom are charitable enough to answer the question, but for the staff members that take a moment of their time to close the thread after it has been answered, or to close it because it's been answered numerous times before.

As for your opinion on mini-modding, I have a story to share. Long ago, when I was a Newbie, and even a Member, I held the opinion that mini-modding was a stupid rule. Once I became a Mod, I knew why it's been set in place: because people won't give a damn about what you say unless you have a bold purple/blue/green/orange name. If a normal member warns another member about not to do something, there's a chance that they'll just ignore the member or worse, flame them. Whereas if a Moderator or Admin warns them, they know to behave otherwise they're going to receive more than just a verbal warning. Nothing gets solved if basic members try to take things into their own hands.

The reason for us cracking down on people begging for clicks, asking for egg identification, and exploiting glitches is because we want players to enjoy GPX+ the way it was meant to be: as a fun interactive raise-your-own-Pokemon game. Not some game where you know what you have in your egg, so you know that you can abandon it in 12 hours.

Yes, the staff is human too. We actually convey emotions and live ordinary lives. Of course we aren't going to be perfect. No one is.

--------------------
[align=center]

=- Game Dev, currently making a game called Cursed Seasons. I tweet about it sometimes. -=
http://cursedseasons.tumblr.com/
Discord is a thing

[/align]
+Quote Post

Zerxer
post Jun 8 2009, 03:23 PM
Post #10

Zerkadelic
Group Icon

Group: Root Administrators
Member No.: 2

My Favorites

I admit I get very tense and angry at A LOT of the stupid threads that pop up that have been answered SO. MANY. TIMES. to the point where I would probably start cracking my knuckles if I hadn't already gotten out of that habit years ago.

For the first couple of months GPXPlus was around, I was pretty much the only one with all of the knowledge to be able to answer the bugs and questions threads, because I know the coding inside and out. And it was so aggravating to have more than 3 people ask the same question or report the same "bug" that wasn't really a bug all the time or to post a GPXPlus bug/question in the GTSPlus section.

Now that the site is becoming more mature, a lot of members here know the answers too, and they've thankfully been answering a lot of the stupid questions posted so I don't have to. One thing that still irks me to no end is all the threads about "I hatched my egg but it still shows an egg image!", as well as all the other stuff that's been answered numerous times and is in the pinned FAQ thread.

As Letan said, we're all human too, and we all have pet peeves and a certain level of nerves that can be broken. I don't really think this forum is that hard to navigate. There's a little search box on the bottom left side of every section to search that section for a certain thread as well as a "Search" link at the top of the site to search the entire forum. Plus, stickied/pinned threads are easy to spot.

As for the "Identify your egg" thread, there was already a big thread or two about why it was closed. Try finding one using the search methods I mentioned. happy.gif

Looking at this section right now, there's a lot of threads about whether to get the itemfinder or amulet coin, about "funny failures", and probably 10 other things, because people can't be bothered to look around first before making a thread themselves. I hate this section.

--------------------
Want a rotating avatar like mine? Check out my website: randimg!
Thanks to all of the people in this thread and this thread for the various avatars!

+Quote Post

Drifty
post Jun 8 2009, 05:43 PM
Post #11

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 7 405

I wish. xD

QUOTE(Zerxer @ Jun 8 2009, 03:23 PM) *
I admit I get very tense and angry at A LOT of the stupid threads that pop up that have been answered SO. MANY. TIMES. to the point where I would probably start cracking my knuckles if I hadn't already gotten out of that habit years ago.

For the first couple of months GPXPlus was around, I was pretty much the only one with all of the knowledge to be able to answer the bugs and questions threads, because I know the coding inside and out. And it was so aggravating to have more than 3 people ask the same question or report the same "bug" that wasn't really a bug all the time or to post a GPXPlus bug/question in the GTSPlus section.

Now that the site is becoming more mature, a lot of members here know the answers too, and they've thankfully been answering a lot of the stupid questions posted so I don't have to. One thing that still irks me to no end is all the threads about "I hatched my egg but it still shows an egg image!", as well as all the other stuff that's been answered numerous times and is in the pinned FAQ thread.

As Letan said, we're all human too, and we all have pet peeves and a certain level of nerves that can be broken. I don't really think this forum is that hard to navigate. There's a little search box on the bottom left side of every section to search that section for a certain thread as well as a "Search" link at the top of the site to search the entire forum. Plus, stickied/pinned threads are easy to spot.

As for the "Identify your egg" thread, there was already a big thread or two about why it was closed. Try finding one using the search methods I mentioned. happy.gif

Looking at this section right now, there's a lot of threads about whether to get the itemfinder or amulet coin, about "funny failures", and probably 10 other things, because people can't be bothered to look around first before making a thread themselves. I hate this section.

Yeah, I definitely understand deleting/locking repetetive threads and ones that ask questions answered clearly on the site. There's really not excuse for just not paying attention. Also, I think people are just plain too quick to report on this site. It's ridiculous. When someone makes a mistake, people often assume it's diliberate even if looking at the date they joined on would make it clear that it was an honest mistake.

I also understand that many times it can be difficult to discern and therefore people must be warned in order to tell them what they're doing wrong and give them motivation to fix it.

I guess that although I realize it's unavoidable most of the time, it just frustrates me that it's necessary, and not often open for discussion.

--------------------

staravia.gif :egg: piplup.gif
I click full parties regardless of the number of clicks I've received!
I would appreciate some full party clicks - but either way thanks to anyone who clicks!

Daycare:
zangoose.gif & bidoof.gif
100 eggs produced
+Quote Post

Naegi Makoto
post Jun 9 2009, 04:13 AM
Post #12

Super High-School Level Luck
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 12 609

Platinum Team

Mm. On the whole, as an Admin at another site, I think this one is run quite well. Sure, it can be a bit discouraging to see that many locked threads, but the mods are quite right to point to where the questions are already answered; it's what I do on my forum too. There's no need to clutter up a forum with questions that have been previously answered, not when there's a search function. (And I would kill for people to use Search more on my site; I'm sure the mods here would too.)

As for egg identifying--well, get them hatched, like everyone else said. Look at their heritage if they're from the shelter, search for lookalikes when clicking if they're from the Lab.

This is not harsh modding. Strict, yes, but with this many members, that much is necessary. On the whole, I can see why people would think this unnecessary, but with any site there must be moderation, and not everyone is going to agree with it.

I feel for the mods and admins here, really. I know what it's like being bombarded with pointless silly questions. They don't get much to keep this place running, you know; they're volunteers here, and most of them came to enjoy themselves at first (and some just to keep the peace and get it running, it seems). They're the same as we are, and since they're the ones who keep the place running (and smoothly! Your guys' code isn't nearly as buggy as ours is in places and you get it smoothed out much faster than we're able when it is, I envy you) I don't think we should really complain. It's not like they're running around shutting everything down, and I bet there are some threads that are annoying to them that haven't been locked. So I salute them for this place, and hope they'll forgive me for soapboxing and the odd stupid question before I clued into site functions.

*steps off soapbox*

--------------------

Now breeding for Eiscue and (Snowy) Girafarig!
+Quote Post

Morgaln
post Jun 9 2009, 05:54 AM
Post #13

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 20 216

Pearl Nuzlocke party

I am frequenting a number of forums and at first I was a bit angered by the very tight rein mods hold on here on gpxplus. However, after a few days I came to understand that this is actually a blessing. With the sheer number of people on the site, there is heavy traffic and someone has to watch it. Also, no offense to anyone, but there are a lot of quite young people here and that leads to a greater amount of spam and immature comments, at least in my experience.
Last but not least, a collectibles site always invites more spam than any other because people are itching to post just so their signatures are being seen.

So all in all, good job mods, you're doing your best here and it shows.

--------------------

I'll shiny race for any pokemon I don't have a shiny of yet. Feel free to challenge me at any time.

+Quote Post

Beru
post Jun 9 2009, 07:08 AM
Post #14

♪ #1 princess in the world ♪
Group Icon

Member No.: 12 895

Active Squad

I comprehend both sides.
I know how's annoying (often) as a Mod/Admin to take care of "holding a Forum clean", since I'm one too whereelese.
I do think our Mods/Admins here are making a great job of taking care of it, so far a lot of helpful User too. Thats why I really like this Forum and its really enjoyable here if its "cleaned". Well, its everywhere enjoyable if its cleaned...

Although I understand the "opposite". Between all this "begging-posts" in the "Identify your Egg"-Thread were some User who really wanted to know what the Egg might be (often via Egg description) because they got it from the Lab and didnt found any related Information even if they Used the Search-Option before. But to pick every Single out, this would be a hell of a work...I dont think this would be worth it. It was already too messed up sad.gif Well, this comes to the fact that a lot of People are lazy to read (mostly Rules, Stickys, FAQ etc) *sigh* and also often impatient to search first any Information and if nothing was found than to ask sad.gif

I often used the search option here on this Forum a lot if I was uncertain about an Egg but mostly if you used the Search-Option you still had to read thought a lot of sites just to find the right one (I dont know if its just for me like this O_o I tried a lot different Keywords...and mostly the same result).

At least, there are a lot of other options to get the related information you need. A friend of me just told me to copy-paste the Egg description simply into any Searchengine and you mostly found the answer. I didnt tried this so I dont know the result at least. Thats just a friend told me. All other helpful Options to get any Information which Pokemon could hatch from which Egg are already written here ^^

This post has been edited by Beru: Jun 9 2009, 07:11 AM
+Quote Post

Flamer
post Jun 9 2009, 07:48 AM
Post #15

Insert whitty phrase here
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 757

Faves

Might as well add my two cents to this.

Firslty, I think it says a lot that not one, not two but 3 mods have come down here and written really lenghtly posts explain why they take such actions regarding the closure of threads etc. To me at least, it shows that the mods actually care about members opinions and respect thier views. Its something I think is very important and something I really love these forums for. And its not just the mods. Other members as well are always very considerated, respectful and helpful to others. Yeah, there's execptions, but they are very much the exception, not the rule.

On to the points at hand, I completly see where the mods are coming from. I know nobody asked me to spend my time writting the FAQ thread or anything else, but it does annoy me when you put all the time in doing it, and people can't take the minute or two just to browse through and find the answer to thier question. I presume its a similar feeling for the mods when they have to repeatadly answer the same questions and lock duplicate threads.

With regards to the Identify your egg thread, I never liked it being there in the first place. Always thought it went against what the game was about so I'm glad to see it go for that reason.

With regards to Drifty's point about members reporting stuff too quickly, I personally feel its not my, (or any other members) position to judge if somebody should be punished, have thier thread locked etc. If somebody does something against the rules I will report it, regardless of thier age, join date or whether I think they did it delibratly or not. I don't feel its for me to deicede. And often, even if they did it by acident, a thread will still need to locked, or a double post deleted etc so it needs to be reported just for that reason.

This post has been edited by Flamer: Jun 9 2009, 07:50 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Mousekiro
post Jun 9 2009, 07:56 AM
Post #16

Bad Fan-Fic Writer
Group Icon

Member No.: 10 105

Soulsilver Team

I know I'm a newbie here, but for the most part, I've seen the mods doing an excellent job. Everything around here seems to run pretty smoothly, and suggestions and comments often get taken directly on board since the people responsible for GPX+ are right here with us on the forums. Coming from Neopia, a place where you often have to wait two weeks just to get a reply from the support team, it couldn't be more different.

No site's moderation can ever be perfect and there will always be problems for one reason or another. I must admit that I was particularly disturbed by the "There is no discussion required on this issue" line in the locked update about shelter egg death-- it seemed like a deliberate sidestep of what the mods must surely have known would be a game-changing move for a lot of people. In the majority of cases, though, I don't think the mods' locking powers are abused, and I did appreciate their coming into this thread to explain their reasons.

--------------------
Barring emergencies, Lucy and Fae will always be in my party.
You don't have to click them, though they always appreciate visitors!
+Quote Post

Gumshoe
post Jun 9 2009, 07:58 AM
Post #17

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH
Group Icon

Member No.: 18 683

~

QUOTE(Morgaln @ Jun 9 2009, 11:54 AM) *
I am frequenting a number of forums and at first I was a bit angered by the very tight rein mods hold on here on gpxplus. However, after a few days I came to understand that this is actually a blessing. With the sheer number of people on the site, there is heavy traffic and someone has to watch it. Also, no offense to anyone, but there are a lot of quite young people here and that leads to a greater amount of spam and immature comments, at least in my experience.
Last but not least, a collectibles site always invites more spam than any other because people are itching to post just so their signatures are being seen.

So all in all, good job mods, you're doing your best here and it shows.

I agree with everything you've said. Its a good thing, because people we're meant to read the rules in order to get access to the site, but they've not read them well enough to know what is allowed to be posted and what isn't allowed to be posted. If they'd have read the rules like before they wouldn't have had their thread locked in the first place. Thats what rules are for. sweat.gif

--------------------
{}
"Bzweeeeep! Sorry, don't mind me.
What I'm using is an invention of mine.
"

{}

I'll always click back asap and feed the best berries. <3
+Quote Post

Sandywhiskers
post Jun 9 2009, 10:15 AM
Post #18

help I became a homestuck
Group Icon

Member No.: 12 082

idk

When I first came here I got a 10% warning for going off topic. My impression of the site in my first few weeks was "WHAT THE HECK? This site has stuuuuupid rules." Now I realise that it's so busy they NEED to be strict.

No hard feelings, whoever gave me a warning. XD

--------------------

i had hope
i believed
but i'm beginning to think
i've been deceived

+Quote Post

TeeTop
post Jun 9 2009, 10:55 AM
Post #19

Pokemon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 30 868

Current Omicron Party

*cough* *cough*

I was simply curious as to what my first eggs would hatch as, and I got suspended! ON MY FIRST DAY! And I only posted twice before that happend! You don't know how extremely mad I was. I went on another forum to vent.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Zerxer
post Jun 9 2009, 01:07 PM
Post #20

Zerkadelic
Group Icon

Group: Root Administrators
Member No.: 2

My Favorites

QUOTE(Mousekiro @ Jun 9 2009, 08:56 AM) *
I must admit that I was particularly disturbed by the "There is no discussion required on this issue" line in the locked update about shelter egg death-- it seemed like a deliberate sidestep of what the mods must surely have known would be a game-changing move for a lot of people.

Eh, I pretty much saw almost all of the replies complaining about it for one reason or another. It was something that needed to happen and something we weren't going to change our minds on. Every day, THOUSANDS of eggs are generated between the Lab and all the breeders. Before we set it up to delete old Shelter eggs, there was nothing in place at all to ever delete eggs, so the database just kept growing and growing at a remarkable pace. It just wasn't healthy. At least we haven't decided to kill off your eggs/Pokémon if they don't mature at a certain pace like some other sites. happy.gif

--------------------
Want a rotating avatar like mine? Check out my website: randimg!
Thanks to all of the people in this thread and this thread for the various avatars!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:26 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.