Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Closed TopicStart new topic
Help me learn how to roleplay?, Uhh... I am familiar with roleplaying, but I really should be better.
Kid Penguin
post Jul 15 2009, 10:22 PM
Post #1

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 46 762

Active Squad

I come from the Runescape Roleplaying seciton, that is where I got my start, and am now on the Roleplay Addicts Anonymous site. I am very familiar with the ins and outs of roleplaying, but those on the RPAA(RP Addicts Anonymous) Shun me and keep me from having various privlages because I am not good enough of a roleplayer.

Is there anyone here who could teach me how to roleplay?

Things I need to learn:
How to fight better(whether that may be pokemon, or some other way of fighting)
How to be more descriptive
Better grammar and punctuation and such if needed
How to make just plain old better bios and posts.

I suppose you call them bios here... You know, things like

Name:
Appearence:
Personality:
Race:
History:
Other:

That is what I know as bio.

PLEASE HELP! crying.gif

--------------------

I am Kid Penguin, the Ice Type CHAMPION!

'Back off, Edward you poser!' -Dracula

Naruto is a ninja in a bright orange jumpsuit.... that kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Toogee
post Jul 16 2009, 07:45 AM
Post #2

Weak Livered Milk Drinker
Group Icon

Group: RP Moderators
Member No.: 208

And a Golurk

The best thing to do would be to read profiles and threads, preferably those you know to be good. For grammar and punctuation, write your posts in Word (and pay attention in English class wink.gif).

--------------------
PANE Mod

PANE x2 (click to show)

Credit for 2gamer's Seel of Approval (click to show)
+Quote Post

Kid Penguin
post Jul 16 2009, 01:00 PM
Post #3

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(2gamers @ Jul 16 2009, 06:45 AM) *
The best thing to do would be to read profiles and threads, preferably those you know to be good. For grammar and punctuation, write your posts in Word (and pay attention in English class wink.gif).

XD That was actually no help. Sorry. =P As I said earlier, I have had alot of roleplaying experience, but I actually need someone to teach me. I already do what you suggested.

Testing testing one two three.

--------------------

Naruto is a ninja in a bright orange jumpsuit.... that kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it?
+Quote Post

Fei Fei
post Jul 16 2009, 01:19 PM
Post #4

Is totally a chick.
Group Icon

Member No.: 21 742

PANE Party: Alex

I can see how 2gamer's may not have been very helpful, if you've already done as they say, but I wonder how you would define 'teaching'. It would make it much easier to assist you if you made that a tad clearer.

I have not been on this site for very long, but I have many years of RPing experience under my belt. Perhapse I can help.

--------------------
PANE (click to show)

PANE:
I've been dead. I'm back. Let's get our RP on.

+Quote Post

Kid Penguin
post Jul 16 2009, 02:51 PM
Post #5

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

Thank you, Fei fei!

Hmm... I suppose... we create a mock roleplaying situation, and then after a few posts, you rate/critiscize me?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fei Fei
post Jul 16 2009, 04:36 PM
Post #6

Is totally a chick.
Group Icon

Member No.: 21 742

PANE Party: Alex

Well, if that's the kind of thing you'd like to do, let me give you a counter offer.

At the moment, I'm in an RP, but it's ending in a few posts. After it's graded, the current RP-ers in said RP (myself and two others) will be starting a new one.

If you'd like (and if you have a character profile), then maybe you'd like to join in. The three of us (from the RP) all know each other in real life, and we're all experienced with RPing, so we could help you out and gives you tips. That way, you get training with some experienced and none too harsh (but still helpful) critics, and you also get level ups in the running.

Of course, you don't have to do it that way, but I thought it might be a practical way of doing it. You get to see how you do in a real RP, etc etc.

--------------------
PANE (click to show)

PANE:
I've been dead. I'm back. Let's get our RP on.

+Quote Post

Kid Penguin
post Jul 16 2009, 11:03 PM
Post #7

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Fei Fei @ Jul 16 2009, 03:36 PM) *
Well, if that's the kind of thing you'd like to do, let me give you a counter offer.

At the moment, I'm in an RP, but it's ending in a few posts. After it's graded, the current RP-ers in said RP (myself and two others) will be starting a new one.

If you'd like (and if you have a character profile), then maybe you'd like to join in. The three of us (from the RP) all know each other in real life, and we're all experienced with RPing, so we could help you out and gives you tips. That way, you get training with some experienced and none too harsh (but still helpful) critics, and you also get level ups in the running.

Of course, you don't have to do it that way, but I thought it might be a practical way of doing it. You get to see how you do in a real RP, etc etc.

Thats..... a really good idea. ^_^.gif Whats the thread name?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Kid Penguin
post Jul 16 2009, 11:33 PM
Post #8

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

Umm... Where I come from, it is traditional for an Introduction to be part or whole roleplaying... as though your roleplaying with yourself. This is form my thread, A Scary Place.

Emily Crummins, the mother of Courtney and Gerald, drove up on the gravel driveway, smiling persevearingly towards the large house infront of her as she listened to the tires make faint crunching sounds as they moved across the rocks. "Are we there yet...?" Gerald sighed, laying back on his seat in the small Mustang. Courtney flicked her brother because of his laziness and lack of will to look for himself. "Hey!" he complained, "What was that fo-" He then saw the large building, making a small 'ooo' sound. "Thats why." She scolded tartly, and went back to her book, Dracula. When they parked, Emily turned around and said to them "Welcome to your new home, guys." She opened her door and stepped out, Courtney going out of thier doors as well. Sighing and putting one hand to her forehead in the late morn sun and the other on her hip, she smiled, saying "Its amazing we got such a great place for only 100,000 dollars." Grumbling about wanting to stay in thier old town of Seattle Washington, he did not see why they had to move to this dump in hicksville, nowhere, as he put it. Shaking her head, Courtney turned to her brother and flicked him again, scolding "Its because we couldn't keep renting our last house because the landlords sold it!" Muttering something incomprehensible and rubbing the back of his head where she had hit him, Courtney sighed and folded her arms, disappointed in her brother. Despite this fact, after they had finished bringing in thier suitcases full of clothing, her mother turned to the twins and announced "While I wait for the movers to get here, you two can go off and explore. Courtney's face gleamed when she heard this, grabbing her brothers arm and dragging him throughout the many twisted, decrepid hallways, stepping on the squealing boards and getting themselves perfectly lost. "Do you think any Vampires live here?" She asked Gerald hopefully, opening a large closet door and looking up. There ewre many shelves inside, and it did not seem to stop when she looked up into the darkness. "Or maybe a Frankenstein Monster? It would be really cool if some elves or brownies lived here," She added, turning on her heels to Gerald who was looking around the octagonagal room, "It would be cool if your soccer shoes were fixed in the night." She was refrencing some old sneakers that Gerald had had for seemingly forever, which had many holes and patches, and the soles were barely connected to the top part. The only reason his mother let him keep them was because of 'sentimental value' when actually he was trying to learn how to sew so that he could mend them. Gerald flicked his sister, or at least attempted to. Courtney quickly dodged out of the way, saying "Hey! No fair! Only I'm allowed to flick people!" The two then proceeded to get into a flicking-fight, which then evolved into pinching and hair-pulling, and probably would have gotten even worse if thier mother had not come in and told them that the movers were there.

Later that night and after an exhausting time moving packages from inside the truck to the large house, Courtney and Gerald somehow got stuck with sharing a room, even though there were many more left. "Its because they have rotted floors, and I don't want you falling through to the ground level or the basement." Emily had replied ot them when they protested. Gerald grumbled. "I don't understand how I couldn't have shared rooms with Eric..." He was refrencing his 'cool' older brother, who was a 14 years-of-age jock. "Don't complain." Courtney told him off, "And just go to bed." Gerald mumbled a reply and ducked under his covers, turning on a flashlight and began to read a sewing manual, hidden behind his old comic books in the classic 'I want to read comic books and not a history book in school' manuver. A few hours later, Gerald was sound asleep, having pricked himself multiple times after attempting to do something the book called the 'in and out' sew. He woke up, hearing a faint crash from the large closet, followed by a small but deep voice. Very much terrified, Gerald shook his sister, whose bed was just an arm's length away, who raised her head, hairy quite messy indeed, and looked at him with sleepy eyes, asking "What do you want?" Gerald pointed to the closet, saying "I heard something come from there." Courtney sighed adn rolled over in bed, pulling her blanket over her head and saying "It was probably just this old house creaking." "No..." Gerald said, getting out of his bed and slowly stepping towards the closet, "I heard a voice." Courtney's eyes widened at this statement, quickly jumping out of bed and running towards the closet, not bothering to make an effort in being quiet when her brother was virtually silent for once. She basically slammed the door open, seeing only a large, green, fuzzy tail disappear into the wall. "Oh. My. Gosh." She said, gawking at where it had gone. She reached over and pressed against the wall, wondering how the beast had gone through. "I think we have a case of monsters in this house." She summed up, turning to Gerald with dramatic infulence.

Everyone knows that common childhood fears are not real, such as the boogeyman, the thing in the closet, and the monster hiding under your bed. Of course, this also includes the Dark, a horrible beast that hides in the dark, just waiting to gobble up little kids. We all know none of these exsist, but what if they did? What if there was a large, grey plate-shaped monster under your bed, just waiting to stretch out one of its many arms to sweep you under, or a large, green, furry beast in your closet just waiting for your parents to fall asleep and you as well so you will not know you are being eaten until it is too late, or possibly even the Boogeyman, leader of them all? This is the world of Courtney and Gerald Crummins. Enjoy.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Duck Tape
post Jul 20 2009, 05:19 PM
Post #9

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 21 724

Dynh's crazy party

I wouldn't mind letting you appear in our RP, as Fei Fei had suggested, as just a guest. But currently we are no where near anything plausible for another person to enter.

But I can give you this advice, learning this really does take time, Charlie, Fei and myself have all been RPing since the tender ages of our youth. But I really was able to develop my skills through reading, like legit books. Develop your own style of RPing, true it might start out a little astranged, but it will come along with time.

--------------------
+Quote Post

LarkortheNightin...
post Jul 27 2009, 05:27 PM
Post #10

The Soul of Blood
Group Icon

Member No.: 34 628

SoulSilver Team

I may be new to PANE but that doesn't mean I'm new to RPing. If you need help on making bios, I can show you a few that I've done. A good way to keep readers interested in roleplaying is suspense. Take, for example, my new PANE RP thread. I keep saying things about how my character listens really hard or about how she asks her Piplup for confirmation on a lot of things. I don't exactly say what's wrong with her, but it makes people interested and they want to hear more.

Or take, for another example, my Warriors Unleashed RP in the regular roleplaying section. It's about cats, and I've added suspense in the form of a bunch of mysterious cats that only myself and a few other RPers know about. the rest don't have a clue and that makes them want to keep going.

Suspense is always good, to shorten it up.

Also, add details. The thesaurus is your friend! If you post this:

Everything felt good to Bob. The air was good. The day was good. The temperature was good. It was all good.

You might like to change it to this:

Everything on this perfect day felt wonderful to Bob. The air rushing past his face felt good. The day was beautiful. The temperature was perfect. All in all, it was an amazingly wonderful day.

See the difference? If you need any more help or have a question, I'm usually available. Just PM me wink.gif

This post has been edited by MystykFyre: Jul 27 2009, 05:28 PM

--------------------

And here is my party. grin.gif

Most of my information and crap is in my journal so go look at that <w<
+Quote Post

ROMANA
post Jul 30 2009, 07:52 AM
Post #11

Connie Plinth
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 11 833

Connie's Team

I'm always dubious about the thesaurus recommendation that tends to happen when people ask for advice about roleplaying. In moderation, I grant you, it can be a good thing. Used too much though, well... purple prose can be less than pleasant. And really, mystery and intrigue can be overdone, too.

None of the advice in this thread is bad, at all, I just think that any advice on 'better roleplaying' that goes beyond 'read and practice a lot' should have a 'handle with care' warning grin.gif

This post has been edited by MAREEP: Jul 30 2009, 07:55 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Spanish Inquisit...
post Aug 31 2009, 04:19 PM
Post #12

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! >:D
Group Icon

Member No.: 57 822

Expect the unexpected

i am by no means a skilled writer, but I just want to butt in and rate that.. It wasnt actually bad in any way, but one thing that bugged me was the lack of a view-point character. you dont HAVE to have one to make a good post - but its easier to describe a characters feelings. In your post, you describe the characters reactions, but not their actual feelings, which makes it a lot harder to identify with them and your rp can become dull and boring. Its also too long for my taste, but i guess opinions are like butts. everybody has one.

Now, there is one detail that didnt make sense to me:

Shaking her head, Courtney turned to her brother and flicked him again, scolding "Its because we couldn't keep renting our last house because the landlords sold it!"

This kind of stuff is better to be kept down to a minimum. I think it would be better if you had told the readers that through Geralds thoughts - because there´s no way he wouldnt have known this already, so why should courtney bother to tell him? You need to think about that. Also, keep you sentences shorter and like pyrus and mareep said, the thesaurus is your friend(as long as you dont overdo it, or else, innocent braincells will be brutally murdered) cat.gif

--------------------
NOBODY expects the Spanish inquisition! o3o.gif

"90% of teens would die if Facebook had a system failure and crashed. If you are part of the 10% that would die laughing, copy and paste this into your signature."
+Quote Post

Master Houndoom
post Aug 31 2009, 04:49 PM
Post #13

Team Rogue: Houndoom
Group Icon

Member No.: 804

Uprising Mod

Please remain aware of the date of the last post. There is a rule in the GTS+ forums about necroposting, and we here at PANE wih to keep it to a bare minimum if it can't be weeded out completely.

Such comments, pointing out a specific post, is also better kept to PMs. I am closing this topic. Feel free to open a similar one.

--------------------
[align=center]Uprising Mod

||
Jaima Kuonji and Meiko Omura||Branwys Muphenz
[spoiler=Jaima's Gym Badges][/spoiler]
PANE

||
Jay Lange||Olivia Prewitt
Uprising

As of January 29, 2010, at approximately 7:50am CST, 2gamers helped me complete my pokedex!

:houndoom: I claim Houndoom! :houndoom: [/align]
+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:36 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.