Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Life In Outer Space, Do you believe in it?
Life in outer space
Do you believe there's other life?
Yes, I believe there's other life in outer space. [ 8 ]  [88.89%]
Nah, I think we're the only ones. [ 1 ]  [11.11%]
Total Votes: 9
Guests cannot vote 

Emmagurd
post Aug 7 2013, 01:56 AM
Post #1

Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 36 116

Mamolicious

I'm a space nut. I follow a space Twitter, which posts all sorts of interesting photos from outer space, because I just find it amazing!

My question to you guys is do you believe that there's life in outer space besides us?!

With photos like these that NASA took with the Hubble telescope, it's pretty difficult to think that we're the only ones in this massive universe.

Hubble Telescope Photos (click to show)

--------------------

I do gaming videos! grin.gif Please have a look!
Emmagurd's Youtube

My fiancé does gaming videos for Minecraft, PVK and other stuff! Please take a look! grin.gif
DavidiansLair's Youtube

Made by Bonnie Clyde

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Letan
post Aug 7 2013, 11:53 AM
Post #2

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 1 219

Lugia Hype

I wouldn't say that I immediately believe in life (particularly sentient life that isn't just microorganisms) elsewhere in space, but rather I hope that there is.

Being the only planet with sentient life is a scary thought. It's also a strange reality when you realize that the most advanced species we know of (spoilers: it's us) hasn't really existed for that long when you look at the bigger picture. Furthermore, the entire lifetime of our species and everything else on Earth could easily end very quickly (again, compared to the vast amount of time that has gone by since the universe existed). Not to mention, going down as the most invasive and destructive species we know of is pretty shitty, considering it's the antagonist of so many sci-fi pieces of media.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if our planet wasn't the only one with sentient life. From a statistics standpoint, it seems possible for a planet to exist within hospitable range of a star. However, because the universe, or hell even just our galaxy is so massive, life could exist somewhere far away from us. Even if there is life elsewhere within our galaxy, I feel that we wouldn't be aware of it for generations, if we even last that long as a species.

tl;dr I'm not crazy-knowledgeable about the subject more than reading a damn good book on the big bang theory and the origin of the universe in general as well as the odd article linked on reddit, but I believe that there could be sentient life out there. I just don't think we'll come into contact with it anytime within the next thousand years unless we get our shit together and fund space exploration (and resource gathering if we don't want to end up killing ourselves and the planet).

--------------------
[align=center]

=- Game Dev, currently making a game called Cursed Seasons. I tweet about it sometimes. -=
http://cursedseasons.tumblr.com/
Discord is a thing

[/align]
+Quote Post

Emmagurd
post Aug 7 2013, 03:12 PM
Post #3

Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 36 116

Mamolicious

Oh my days, yes. It is one of the scariest thoughts that we could be the only living things in the galaxy/universe/whatever (seeming as no one has yet found life out there just yet). But it's also equally as scary that we're probably not alone.

I rather hope that NASA find proof of life somewhere out there in my lifetime, even though it's extremely unlikely. But a girl can hope.

--------------------

I do gaming videos! grin.gif Please have a look!
Emmagurd's Youtube

My fiancé does gaming videos for Minecraft, PVK and other stuff! Please take a look! grin.gif
DavidiansLair's Youtube

Made by Bonnie Clyde

+Quote Post

Eldavey
post Aug 10 2013, 08:08 PM
Post #4

Super Special
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 49 980

dreamteam

A Question that has been asked many time before, but I'm convinced there is life out there. The Universe is so big that it's impossible for there not to be life besides us.

The thing that discomforts me most is the fact that the universe is expanding and other galaxies are moving away from us. I wonder how we will ever get to see other life when it's probably thousands of lightyears away. Meaning we would have to travel for thousands of years at the speed of light to reach it. I sure want to live to see that but i know this will not happen.
+Quote Post

ElectroniX
post Aug 14 2013, 12:43 PM
Post #5

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 115 249

Active Squad

I think it's impossible that there isn't life in space, even if not in the solar system, even if not in the Milky way, there is infinite number of other galaxies and I think that somewhere out there there is a planet that has as many "animal" species as earth and what I mean by that is that there is completely different "animals" and maybe even people (aliens) that adapted to that different planet

--------------------

+Quote Post

ZizanChan
post Aug 16 2013, 12:34 PM
Post #6

Zan the Kraken
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 58 123

Bring Me the Night

I think that there is life out there with no doubt whatsoever.
This life is probably a lot different than us. I think everyone can agree that theres more micro-organisms somewhere out there, but if our micro-organisms managed to evolve into everything we see now, then whose to say that other micro-organisms haven't gotten so far (or even further!) also?

I love thinking about this. The possibility that dragons and unicorns might exist somewhere out there.. I can dream, can't I?

However I don't think it's likely that other life forms have visited us. Even though theres near infinite planets out there, and aliens might be more advanced than us, the nearest of these planets are still loads and loads of light years away. And traveling over all of this vast distance just to inspect strange beings from another planet is just.. so time and resource consuming, I doubt it would be worth it for a species regardless of how advanced technologically they are.. Unless they have come to take our resources (and women), that is!

--------------------

I might make this part pretty eventually.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:54 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.