Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Cheating in Pokémon Games
Commander Wymsy
post Jun 17 2008, 11:39 AM
Post #1

Megalomaniac out for world domination
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 3

Greatest Team Ever

Yes, after the couple of threads made in the Ranting Zone about it, I want an actual debate about cheating in Pokémon games. Basically, we will be answering and arguing amongst these points:
  • Is cheating good or bad, or is it mixed depending on the situation?
  • Why do you think people cheat?
  • Does exploiting glitches count as cheating, or does it depend on what exactly the glitch does?
  • What do you think of people who trade hacked Pokémon?
  • What do you think of people who do not cheat themselves but will still accept hacked Pokémon from others knowing full well the Pokémon are hacked?
  • What do you think of the people who use Pokémon created by things like Pokésav to battle others?
  • What is your stance on cloned Pokémon?
  • Do you think that cloned Pokémon devalue certain types of Pokémon (shinies, event Pokémon, etc.)?

And now I'll answer all of them myself...

1. I believe that, depending on the situation, cheating can be either good or bad. There are people who scam others with hacks, yes, but not every cheater does that. Cheating for items or for event Pokémon (and other trivial things which don't affect anybody but the person cheating), is fine in my opinion. Hacking Pokémon and passing them off as real, or making illegal (impossible movesets, 999 stats, etc.) Pokémon and fighting people with them and not telling is bad. Basically, I only think cheating is bad if it negatively affects somebody else.

2. I think people cheat mostly for items, Pokésav made Pokémon and event Pokémon. There are, however, people who cheat for illegal Pokémon (again, impossible movesets, 999 stats, etc.) just because they don't feel like making a legal Pokémon on Pokésav or raising their own to beat the game and/or fight others.

3. I don't really think that exploiting a glitch counts as cheating. In some cases, the glitch in question is really just a completely moronic programming mistake. Things like being able to surf through the Elite 4 doors in early Japanese versions of D/P and Missingno. appearing on R/B are examples of that. For those who don't know, Missingno. appears because that infamous stretch of half-land half-water on Cinnabar (and at Seafoam) have no Pokémon set to appear there. When you talk to the old man and watch him catch the Weedle, the game stores your name in data slot for what wild Pokémon appear so that it may recall it later. The characters in your name correspond to certain Pokémon in the game, which is why you have high-leveled Pokémon appearing. The marker at the end of your name makes Missingno. appear. Basically, all of that could have been avoided had they actually made sure that they set something to appear on those spots at Cinnabar and Seafoam. Much like how they could have avoided people getting to Shaymin and Darkrai in early Japanese D/P games had they made sure that you couldn't surf through the Elite 4 doors. They are incredibly stupid and simple mistakes. Things like Pokémon cloning glitches, however, are a bit more complex and are more like real glitches than they are just silly mistakes.

4. I think that so long as the person trading the hacks tells people that they are hacked, then there is nothing wrong with what they're doing. It's your choice if you choose to accept the hack or not. However, people who scam other people with hacks are lying scum and give good cheaters a bad name.

5. If they don't mind the hacks, then don't lecture them. Let them use the Pokémon they want and trade with whomever they want. Odds are it doesn't affect you in the slightest.

6. I say, so what? If they're making legal Pokémon, why should it matter? Most of the people who do that are mostly only into the battling aspect of the games anyways. And some people don't have the time to breed for a perfect or near-perfect Pokémon but still want to be able to battle. Once again though, people who hack illegal Pokémon and fight people with them need to learn some real strategy and fight others like a real trainer.

7. Let them clone. They're exact copies of the originals. Some people only clone a little, whilst others do mass cloning. All in all, cloning is fine by me. However, I believe that trading somebody a clone when they say that they don't want one is wrong. It's like trading hacked Pokémon to a person who doesn't want one.

8. Probably on a small scale, it does devalue shiny Pokémon a bit. But for event Pokémon (only counting the ones you actually get from going to the event here, not from Pokésav or hacking the event item) there only ends up being a limited amount of them. Many people can't get to these events, and if they don't mind the clones, why lecture them?

Anyhow, go nuts everybody. I'll most likely reply to some posts made here.

--------------------
Overtaken by Net & Zodi on that track!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

crissy66
post Jun 17 2008, 12:55 PM
Post #2

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Validating
Member No.: 2 116

Active Squad

QUOTE(Wymsy @ Jun 17 2008, 11:39 AM) *
Yes, after the couple of threads made in the Ranting Zone about it, I want an actual debate about cheating in Pokémon games. Basically, we will be answering and arguing amongst these points:
  • Is cheating good or bad, or is it mixed depending on the situation?
  • Why do you think people cheat?
  • Does exploiting glitches count as cheating, or does it depend on what exactly the glitch does?
  • What do you think of people who trade hacked Pokémon?
  • What do you think of people who do not cheat themselves but will still accept hacked Pokémon from others knowing full well the Pokémon are hacked?
  • What do you think of the people who use Pokémon created by things like Pokésav to battle others?
  • What is your stance on cloned Pokémon?
  • Do you think that cloned Pokémon devalue certain types of Pokémon (shinies, event Pokémon, etc.)?
And now I'll answer all of them myself...

1. I believe that, depending on the situation, cheating can be either good or bad. There are people who scam others with hacks, yes, but not every cheater does that. Cheating for items or for event Pokémon (and other trivial things which don't affect anybody but the person cheating), is fine in my opinion. Hacking Pokémon and passing them off as real, or making illegal (impossible movesets, 999 stats, etc.) Pokémon and fighting people with them and not telling is bad. Basically, I only think cheating is bad if it negatively affects somebody else.

2. I think people cheat mostly for items, Pokésav made Pokémon and event Pokémon. There are, however, people who cheat for illegal Pokémon (again, impossible movesets, 999 stats, etc.) just because they don't feel like making a legal Pokémon on Pokésav or raising their own to beat the game and/or fight others.

3. I don't really think that exploiting a glitch counts as cheating. In some cases, the glitch in question is really just a completely moronic programming mistake. Things like being able to surf through the Elite 4 doors in early Japanese versions of D/P and Missingno. appearing on R/B are examples of that. For those who don't know, Missingno. appears because that infamous stretch of half-land half-water on Cinnabar (and at Seafoam) have no Pokémon set to appear there. When you talk to the old man and watch him catch the Weedle, the game stores your name in data slot for what wild Pokémon appear so that it may recall it later. The characters in your name correspond to certain Pokémon in the game, which is why you have high-leveled Pokémon appearing. The marker at the end of your name makes Missingno. appear. Basically, all of that could have been avoided had they actually made sure that they set something to appear on those spots at Cinnabar and Seafoam. Much like how they could have avoided people getting to Shaymin and Darkrai in early Japanese D/P games had they made sure that you couldn't surf through the Elite 4 doors. They are incredibly stupid and simple mistakes. Things like Pokémon cloning glitches, however, are a bit more complex and are more like real glitches than they are just silly mistakes.

4. I think that so long as the person trading the hacks tells people that they are hacked, then there is nothing wrong with what they're doing. It's your choice if you choose to accept the hack or not. However, people who scam other people with hacks are lying scum and give good cheaters a bad name.

5. If they don't mind the hacks, then don't lecture them. Let them use the Pokémon they want and trade with whomever they want. Odds are it doesn't affect you in the slightest.

6. I say, so what? If they're making legal Pokémon, why should it matter? Most of the people who do that are mostly only into the battling aspect of the games anyways. And some people don't have the time to breed for a perfect or near-perfect Pokémon but still want to be able to battle. Once again though, people who hack illegal Pokémon and fight people with them need to learn some real strategy and fight others like a real trainer.

7. Let them clone. They're exact copies of the originals. Some people only clone a little, whilst others do mass cloning. All in all, cloning is fine by me. However, I believe that trading somebody a clone when they say that they don't want one is wrong. It's like trading hacked Pokémon to a person who doesn't want one.

8. Probably on a small scale, it does devalue shiny Pokémon a bit. But for event Pokémon (only counting the ones you actually get from going to the event here, not from Pokésav or hacking the event item) there only ends up being a limited amount of them. Many people can't get to these events, and if they don't mind the clones, why lecture them?

Anyhow, go nuts everybody. I'll most likely reply to some posts made here.

i really dont think it should matter, except for hacked pokemon they may cause a problem for some people.

--------------------

I love Umbreon!

<Beware of its darkness> O_o
+Quote Post

Darck
post Jun 17 2008, 01:05 PM
Post #3

The Demon of Darkness, GTS+ PL Dark Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 1 539

Dark gym

Alright my take on cheating.

I agree on number 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 (Because I clone happy.gif )

I disagree on 2..and 8 simply because

2 - of all the 'cheaters' I've run into they hack there pokemon's IV or EV's, True they also hack the items and certain pokemon they cant get because of events or lack of owning a certain game.

8 - I cant clone my darkrai... sad.gif It wont let me.

Oh and @Crissy ...quoting such a long post for a one line reply...is really really REALLY annoying.

--------------------
[align=center]
Click me ---><--- Please

[spoiler=GTS+PL]

[/spoiler]
[/align]
+Quote Post

TCoZ
post Jun 17 2008, 01:19 PM
Post #4

Anything worth reading isn't in txtspk.
Group Icon

Member No.: 297

Active Squad

1) Mixed. There are a lot of games where if not for hacking, we would know a lot less about the game. If people cheat and make super pokémon, but either a) don't trade and battle against humans with them or b) trade and battle only if the opponent/partner is okay with it, that's fine too, because they're not affecting anyone, but people hacking pokémon just to trade and/or battle against humans without telling them is wrong.

2) Sometimes to find out more about the game, sometimes to complete the game quickly, sometimes to make the game easier, sometimes to trade with people to get really good legit pokémon, sometimes to win against people, and sometimes for no reason but it's fun.

3) No. It's the programmers' fault.

4) They're fine, provided they they tell people the pokémon are hacked before the trade.

5) Nothing wrong with that, surely?

6) As I said for 4, it's fine, provided they tell people the pokémon are hacked before the trade.

7) It's fine. It helps trading, and breeding an amazing pokémon is even more valuable, because you can trade it more than once.

8) Yes, but that's not a problem.

This post has been edited by TCoZ: Jun 17 2008, 01:20 PM

--------------------

TCoZ: The Claw of Zangoose claims Claydol
+Quote Post

crissy66
post Jun 17 2008, 01:20 PM
Post #5

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 116

Active Squad

QUOTE(Darck @ Jun 17 2008, 01:05 PM) *
Alright my take on cheating.

I agree on number 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 (Because I clone happy.gif )

I disagree on 2..and 8 simply because

2 - of all the 'cheaters' I've run into they hack there pokemon's IV or EV's, True they also hack the items and certain pokemon they cant get because of events or lack of owning a certain game.

8 - I cant clone my darkrai... sad.gif It wont let me.

Oh and @Crissy ...quoting such a long post for a one line reply...is really really REALLY annoying.

*embarrassed look* srry, im new at this i dont really have all this down pact. sad.gif sweat.gif

--------------------

I love Umbreon!

<Beware of its darkness> O_o
+Quote Post

Rhonut
post Jun 17 2008, 03:15 PM
Post #6

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1 928

Active Squad

Ok, here goes:

1. Is cheating good or bad, or is it mixed depending on the situation?
Mixed me thinks. Sometimes when people can't get to events or don't live in that area (like me, grr) then they have no way of getting poke's like deoxy or shaymin etc etc. I see this as unfair as the game gives the american and the japanese all these new features, while we in those other countries pay the same amount of money for these games yet we can't do as much on it because of where we live. Hacking (which some may say is a form of cheating) simply gives us the features we normally don't get. However, hacking can be over used to max out pokemon stats or give them illegal moves which means if someone wants a fair battle with someone they may not always get it and i think it kind of detracts from the whole purpose of the game and isn't as fun or as rewarding. Other types of cheating like missigno (from red, blue and yellow) to get mew or 100's of mater balls also kind of detract from the fun value of the game, what fun is it to catch all 150 poke's so easy and then you have no sense of accomplishment. I remember when i complete my yellow version 100%, i thought it was ace after all the work i'd put in (and the hour or so i just sat clicking to buy 9999 coins for the last pokemon on my list: porygon). I'll get onto cloning later.

2. Why do you think people cheat?
See the first half of question 1. Mainly to get all legendaries, fill the pokedex or trounce their friends in battle.

3. Does exploiting glitches count as cheating, or does it depend on what exactly the glitch does?
See question 1 again. Exploiting features in the game (like glitching in many other games) that weren't meant to be there is cheating in my eyes, especially when they can end in undesirable results or a huge advantage of some kind. Some glitches though like the one in yellow, red and blue where you get to that stupid island by flying from the safari zone give no extra advantage to the game and so i don't think it can really be classed as cheating.

4. What do you think of people who trade hacked Pokémon?
Well, it depends. First i'll deal with the sending end of the trade. If the person trading their hack does not tell the receiver it's a hack then i just think thats really low, especially when their getting a legit pokemon for it in which a lot of effort has been put in. Whenever i look for legendaries or event pokemon though i look for hacks and trade for them because i know that legit ones will request shinies or high levelled pokemon i just can't get very easily. If i offer to trade and the person tells me theirs is a hack i'll normally have no problem with it except for certain ones i want legit as it is easier to trade them and i could breed the more common ones and make egges, which would be half legit i suppose. The important thing is i'd still have to put the effort in to raise it. I think people who trade hacks are fine as long as they're honest about it.

5. What do you think of people who do not cheat themselves but will still accept hacked Pokémon from others knowing full well the Pokémon are hacked?
See question 4. I do it myself and i think its fine, it gives us access to pokemon we can't normally get because of where we live or don't have the time or patience to find shinies. (spending hours looking in grass is not my idea of fun)

6. What do you think of the people who use Pokémon created by things like Pokésav to battle others?
Depends, if both battlers are using those kinds of pokemon then they are equally as strong as they can only go to max then i supppose its fair. Also, if the other battler knows their opponent is created and agrees to that then thats fine too, its them who have agreed to it for one reason or another and they are not being lied to in any way. If the creater decides to keep it a secret though then they are lying tot he other person and giving themselves an unfair advantage, the person with legit poke's who spent weeks to get their party to very high levels would be crushed, as all that work they put in would have been for nothing.

7. What is your stance on cloned Pokémon?
I'm fine with it. Again it makes the legendaries more accessible for those in non-pokemon-friendly-areas and makes it easier to trade for the ones i want as they often require less in return. I would want to know if it's cloned though as i would feel as though i'd been lied to and want to know which ones are legit. If i traded a pokemon on the wifi and got a hack or shiny which i didn't know then later on i could want to put that back on the trade station and if someone finds out its hacked then i get accused and a bad rating, not fair. If someone told me its clones or hacked i would still trade (unless its for level 100 shinies or summat i'd have to give in return) and give them a higher rating for being truthful about their poke.

8. Do you think that cloned Pokémon devalue certain types of Pokémon (shinies, event Pokémon, etc.)?
Only to an extent at the moment. Legit ones still tend to trade for more but someone might pick an easier option like trading a zigzagoon for darkrai so it would be harder for legit ones to trade. I think people when they do go through the game realise that they can only get kyogre etc once in their game so know its special. Also when i go on it takes a long time for me to sort out trades with not having wifi at home and so i have to put in some effort arranging times and stuff so personally i feel that i have worked a bit for my shinies and legendaries so it doesn't decrease their value for me, its cool as well because i can say i got this from japan or america or wherever.

Currently i don't hack, clone, or cheat myself on most of my pokemon games (missigno cheat was so tempting) but i will trade for hacks or clones because i still feel i have put some effort in for them. I will however cheat on emulators as i cant trade or battle with them and it is fun for a bit to try out some of the codes like walk through walls and getting all the legendaries but i quickly get bored when after i've done them all.

Ok, i think thats all of it, don't think i've missed anything, tell me if i have.

--------------------

Various sprites, credits are at bottom of sig (click to showhide)

Adoptables n' stuff (click to showhide)

Credits (click to showhide)
+Quote Post

Leki
post Jun 17 2008, 03:43 PM
Post #7

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 1 093

Fighters

Neh.... Lessee, my opion as follows:

Cheating is only bad if cheating for uber stats, and making your Pokemon, basically, infintely strong.

I find it mildly better to hack for those rare not able to get Pokemon... and for items, I don't find it that bad. But I choose to wait for stuff, like the Master Balls, by matching up ID numbers, the way it was supposed to be. Or I'll trade for my items, and Pokemon.

--------------------
|Pearl ~ 2277-5074-2140 ~ Lots of Dex Entries|
Team/Torterra/Staraptor/Gengar/Manetric/Garchomp/Gastrodon
|White ~ 4298-2640-8630|
Team/Emboar/Unfezant/Scolipede/Zebstrika/Audino/Whisicott
+Quote Post

Swordsalmon
post Jun 18 2008, 08:12 PM
Post #8

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 299

Active Squad

Is cheating good or bad, or is it mixed depending on the situation?
Why do you think people cheat?
Does exploiting glitches count as cheating, or does it depend on what exactly the glitch does?
What do you think of people who trade hacked Pokémon?
What do you think of people who do not cheat themselves but will still accept hacked Pokémon from others knowing full well the Pokémon are hacked?
What do you think of the people who use Pokémon created by things like Pokésav to battle others?
What is your stance on cloned Pokémon?
Do you think that cloned Pokémon devalue certain types of Pokémon (shinies, event Pokémon, etc.)?

This'll be a fun debate. ^_^.gif

1. I believe cheating is perfectly fine with some limits. I mean, alot of people don't have the time to EV train their team and what-not, but they should be able to have a fighting chance competatively. As long as they don't do things like hax stats and give perfect IVs, I see nothing wrong with it.

2. If it's a part of a game, it's part of the game. Only in something like a debate (FE Debates come to mind, such as Mine Glitch) should glitchploitation be not allowed.

3. If they notify their trading partners that their Pokémon are hacked, nothing wrong.

4. It's perfectly fine. I enjoy collecting Pokémon, even if hacked. Some people, including myself, can't go to special places to get the rare ones, so it's our only option often.

5. Nothing wrong, as long as they are within game limits. Though I must admit, battling with a Bidoof with Wonder Guard, 500 HP, and using Aeroblast would be fun. ^_^.gif

6. I'm perfectly fine with it.

7. Easily, but the Pokémon really are only hex programs. They don't carry much value to begin with. :/

So basically, I'm a big advocate of game hacking.

--------------------
I have claimed Kanghaskhan.
+Quote Post

Wastelander
post Aug 7 2008, 01:59 PM
Post #9

True king
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 552

The Runaways

1. Its not the best option but its helpfull, especially the shiny Pokemon cheat for Action Replay. shift.gif

2. To gain unfair advantages such as hacking for Event Pokemon like Mew or Darkrai.

3. It depends on the glitch, like the clonning glitch on Pokemon Emerald.

4. Cheaters. >.>

5.Half the time they only want to recieve the Pokemon in question because they have no way of gaining a legit one.

6. Idoits! I tried a pokesav code on an old Action Replay I owned and not only did the Pokemon end up turning into a Bad Egg when I copied it on Battle Revolution, the very code screwed up my Action Replay!

7.Well for starters you have no way of proving that a Pokemon is cloned, second trying to clone a Pokemon has its advantages, e.g clonning a Event Darkrai then putting it up for trade which any smart person will know that people are willing to trade anything to get one given a legit Darkrai's rarity. Lasty clonning on Diammond/ Pearl is risky because Nintendo can ban you from using Wi-Fi if they catch you clonning.

8.Nope.

--------------------

Software engineer by day. Hermit writer by night.
nothing is impossible chasing a super hero on the run
+Quote Post

serviper2008
post Aug 7 2008, 02:40 PM
Post #10

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 566

Active Squad

it depends on what sort of cheating you do, i mean if your just using the code for shinys isnt exactly "cheating". its speeding up the time for you to encounter shinies, i only used cheats after i completed the game atleast a few months after, i used to like chaining and thought it was "cool" but then i just got fed up with my chain breaking all the time, im sure others will agree, cheating is completely up to you and you shouldnt be called a noob and all that for it, hope this made sence.

last note: although some people use them cos they are lazy:)
+Quote Post

Viktoriya1998
post Aug 7 2008, 04:10 PM
Post #11

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 483

SoulSilver Party

QUOTE(serviper2008 @ Aug 7 2008, 08:40 PM) *
it depends on what sort of cheating you do, i mean if your just using the code for shinys isnt exactly "cheating". its speeding up the time for you to encounter shinies, i only used cheats after i completed the game atleast a few months after, i used to like chaining and thought it was "cool" but then i just got fed up with my chain breaking all the time, im sure others will agree, cheating is completely up to you and you shouldnt be called a noob and all that for it, hope this made sence.

last note: although some people use them cos they are lazy:)

I agree with you that pokemon that break your chain are really really anoying! I did use a cheat to make the only pokemon I want (ponyta for example)appear wherever I am so the chain isn't broken.Although I go to the route where the pokemon live.I NEVER USE CHEATS FOR LEGENDARY POKEMON THOUGH!

This post has been edited by viktoriya143: Aug 7 2008, 04:29 PM
+Quote Post

Wastelander
post Aug 7 2008, 04:31 PM
Post #12

True king
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 552

The Runaways

QUOTE(serviper2008 @ Aug 7 2008, 08:40 PM) *
i only used cheats after i completed the game atleast a few months after

I had finished my game back in Feburary and only started using action replay a month later, but even still I just use the shiny cheat to hatch shiny Pokemon from eggs.

I NEVER USE CHEATS FOR LEGENDARY POKEMON THOUGH!

Neither do I.

--------------------

Software engineer by day. Hermit writer by night.
nothing is impossible chasing a super hero on the run
+Quote Post

pokepurist
post Aug 21 2008, 04:19 PM
Post #13

Pokemon Raiser
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 692

Active Squad

I think any kind of cheating is just moronic because it takes all the fun out of the game. Pokemon illegitamately obtained or with riduculusly high stats make the game just a matter of pressing buttons, with no satisfaction.

--------------------
If a torterra falls in the forest, but no one can hear it, will it make a noise?
+Quote Post

Blax8192
post Aug 21 2008, 06:26 PM
Post #14

Never turn down a really good pie...
Group Icon

Member No.: 961

Active Squad

It increases replay value of some games. Think. How many times in a row can you play a game before getting totally bored with it? My parents don't buy new games so I invested in AR and play with it for a few hours every once in awhile. Sometimes I play through it again legit, but it's all in what you do with it.

All my answers are basically it depends on what you do and how you do it.

Never hack unless you beat it at least twice! That I cannot stress enough.

--------------------
These are my Topics which you should read, but probably won't (click to showhide)
=mine
A glimpse into my mind(by clicking you are signing a waiver on your sanity) (click to showhide)
(\_/)
\(n.n)/
(")_(")
this is evil bunny, copy and paste him into your sig and help him keep bunny from taking over the world!!!
I didn't want to put this in tags but the length was bugging me . . . just open it (click to showhide)
+Quote Post

Tiamat
post Aug 22 2008, 04:17 AM
Post #15

everything is happening so much
Group Icon

Member No.: 70

Active Squad

1. Is cheating good or bad, or is it mixed depending on the situation?
2. Why do you think people cheat?
3. Does exploiting glitches count as cheating, or does it depend on what exactly the glitch does?
4. What do you think of people who trade hacked Pokémon?
5. What do you think of people who do not cheat themselves but will still accept hacked Pokémon from others knowing full well the Pokémon are hacked?
6. What do you think of the people who use Pokémon created by things like Pokésav to battle others?
7. What is your stance on cloned Pokémon?
8. Do you think that cloned Pokémon devalue certain types of Pokémon (shinies, event Pokémon, etc.)?

1. I think it varies, like most people said. If you're doing it for kicks and don't plan on trading out the pokemon and whatnot, it shouldn't matter. If you're passing off hacks as legit, though... That's bad, because your trading partner should know.
2. Depends on the cheat. Some do it because they like playing with cheats and have beaten the game before. Some, like myself, cheat to get pokemon they wouldn't be able to get otherwise. And others cheat because they suck. smile.gif
3. It doesn't matter unless you're debating, honestly. Most glitches and whatnot are just the results of programmers forgetting to do X to Y area, and for the most part they're pretty harmless. cat.gif
4. As long as the other person know they're hacked, I don't think it matters. But, like I said above, if you pass it off as legit and your trading partner doesn't want a hacked Pokemon, you're ripping the other person off.
5. Doesn't matter. If they're accepting it, they want the pokemon, and that's all that matters.
6. Depends if the pokemon is otherwise legit, and isn't like a Spiritomb with Wonderguard and 999 stats, and if the people battling the person care about hacking. If it's for fun and everyone knows, it shouldn't matter.
7. wtfever. No, really, I don't care about cloned Pokemon.
8. Disregarding the "Pokemon are just collections of ones and zeros" argument, I don't think so. Not enough people hack to have that happen, and... really, it's not that big of a deal.

--------------------
+Quote Post

DethSlayr
post Aug 22 2008, 07:56 AM
Post #16

The guitar hero playing, pokemon catching, zombie shooting dude.
Group Icon

Member No.: 152

Elite 6??? Lolwut!?

Im against hacking, and using things like Action Replay. If someone clones something on AR, I'm against it, but if they clone it through a glitch or an exploit on the game I think its fine.

And I think people cheat, because you cant get half the event pokemon where most people live, and they want to complete the game, and have the rares and or shinies.

--------------------
My Shinies And Trainer Card (click to show)

CLAIMED nom.gif -----------------------------
+Quote Post

Commander Wymsy
post Aug 22 2008, 03:39 PM
Post #17

Megalomaniac out for world domination
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

Greatest Team Ever

QUOTE(pokepurist @ Aug 21 2008, 02:19 PM) *
I think any kind of cheating is just moronic because it takes all the fun out of the game.

Well it's already kind of obvious that it doesn't take all of the fun out of the game for everybody.

--------------------
Overtaken by Net & Zodi on that track!
+Quote Post

Flamer
post Aug 27 2008, 07:41 AM
Post #18

Insert whitty phrase here
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 757

Faves

Personally, I don't cheat becuase I feel it takes the challenge out of the game, which ruins it. However, I do clone my shiny mewtwo on emerald, but only to trade for event Pokemon that, living in England, I wouldn't be able to get any other way. Of course, I always tell the person that the Mewtwo is cloned first.

I don't disagree with people who hack/cheat, becuase at the end of the day, it's thier game and it's none of my buisness what they do with it. However, I don't like it when people try to trade you hacked Pokemon claiming that thier legit, or when they use hacked Pokemon in battle. Becuase then thier taking the cheating out of just thier personal games, and not everyone agrees with it. Then again, if you tell the person that your using/trading a hacked Pokemon, and they agree that it's fine, then thats ok.

--------------------

+Quote Post

cookie lord puls...
post Aug 27 2008, 08:32 AM
Post #19

^da notched eared lucario^
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 208

me freinds =)

QUOTE(Flamer @ Aug 27 2008, 01:41 PM) *
Personally, I don't cheat becuase I feel it takes the challenge out of the game, which ruins it. However, I do clone my shiny mewtwo on emerald, but only to trade for event Pokemon that, living in England, I wouldn't be able to get any other way. Of course, I always tell the person that the Mewtwo is cloned first.

I don't disagree with people who hack/cheat, becuase at the end of the day, it's thier game and it's none of my buisness what they do with it. However, I don't like it when people try to trade you hacked Pokemon claiming that thier legit, or when they use hacked Pokemon in battle. Becuase then thier taking the cheating out of just thier personal games, and not everyone agrees with it. Then again, if you tell the person that your using/trading a hacked Pokemon, and they agree that it's fine, then thats ok.
that's what i think it's thiere game if they ruin it is thiere fault

This post has been edited by dragon champ: Aug 27 2008, 08:33 AM
+Quote Post

Wolverinea60
post Aug 30 2008, 01:29 PM
Post #20

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 783

Active Squad

1. Mixed, for sure. Cheating is... cheating. If a hacker just kept those Pokemon on their own game, it's fine. It's your game and you can do what you want with it. The annoying hackers battle and trade with others (especially over wifi) and don't say that they have hacks. Then people who care about their games might get annoying glitches or worse, and that's when it gets bad.

2. To take a shortcut. Some people just don't want to spend hours, breeding and training, when they could do it the easy way. But you gotta admit, you'll never get the same feeling of accomplishment that you do when you've EV trained your first team. Hackers just want to win and they don't need to spend time doing it, possibly at the expense of their own games. If they want perfect, I say, go to Shoddy Battle.

3. My Blue version is badly screwed up. Why? Missingno, of course! Missingno, 'M, Glitch City, Mew Trick -- been there, done that. But I've never used any of them in battles with other people. So it's just mindless amusement. Now let's fast forward to my Pearl game. I have literally had nightmares about finding creepy Missingno's on Pearl, because it has my team, all my egg move Pokemon and events, legendaries, shinies... I don't want to lose all my hard work, so I try insanely to keep out of the way of ingame glitches. I even get freaked out at Blue version sometimes. If someone used AR to get 6 Wondertombs, and then battled with other people who had legit teams, it's not fair AND it could screw up their game. I say, cheating.

4. Without the tradee's consent? Wrong and dishonest. With permission? Fine and dandy, but you're trading away your hard-earned work for a few pushes of a button. Trade at your own peril. It could even be more badly hacked then the trader says. Like I said, own peril.

5. See 4.

6. What's Pokesav? Is it like AR? Then it isn't really fair. Pokemon has certain boundaries on its own, like Gyarados can't learn Dark Void, for example. With AR or this Pokesav that you speak of, they could easily push all boundaries and make anything they darn well please. Against someone with a normal game, the AR or Pokesav person could probably win easily (especially if they jacked all the stats up to 999!). I said it before and I'll type it again: Shoddy Battle.

7. I will sometimes clone on Emerald so that I can have a Pokemon on Emerald in the 3rd gen and on Pearl in 4th gen, mostly for breeding purposes (cause Dittos are a lot harder to find on Pearl). But that's not why you're here, you mean trading, yes? Does it not kill the entire purpose of trading? Sure, sure, it doesn't hurt your game (on Emerald, there is a small chance you may lose data), but is that really fair? I know it's very tempting to want to keep that Shiny Eevee, it's tempting to me as well, but it's just not the right way to trade, because although someone else benefits, the cloner benefits twice. And this is trading.

8. Quite. You could make fifty clones and trade them all to random people for all different shines, same with events. Now there are fifty more of that shiny on the market. Let's say those people cloned. Now there's 2500! Wow! See how that works? I doubt it would be done, but you never know. The only time it might be somewhat okay to do is if your friend lives in... Austrailia. (spelled wrong, sorry Austrailians)(...did it again) They have literally no events, so I guess it wouldn't be so horrible to trade over one of your cloned events to them. Or just wear a disguise and get back on line, whatever makes you happy.

My hands hurt now. That is the longest thing I have ever typed, seriously.

--------------------
..::Major -- Insane::..
+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:45 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.