Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
The Swine Flu, Discussion and Opinions on the Swine Flu
Typhlosion
post Apr 28 2009, 11:39 AM
Post #1

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 5 012

Active Squad

What is your opinions on the Swine flu?
Anything you'd like to say about it?

Personally, I'm .. well.. not sure what to think about it.
People are saying it's a big deal while others, are saying it's not, And some like me are so/so or, unsure about it.

Before you say anything. please stop and think. I don't want racism against Mexicans or any bickering and arguing about it. A good discussion is just fine.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Bluecrow
post Apr 28 2009, 01:03 PM
Post #2

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 7 757

Active Squad

I work in a Dr's office and right now we're more worried about the panic it might cause then about them patients catching it. Everytime there's a break out of any contagion we get a good chunk of patients calling convinced they have what ever it is going around or demanding medication just in case.

This post has been edited by Bluecrow: Apr 28 2009, 01:04 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Kaname Madoka
post Apr 28 2009, 02:57 PM
Post #3

housewife extraordinaire!
Group Icon

Member No.: 7 542

Team HG

The Swine Flu is just something that happens and is one of the many illnesses we're going to have to deal with as humans. I highly doubt it will affect America as badly as it has affected Mexico. Why? The only reason that so many people have died in Mexico is because they are a poor country and don't have access to the quality of medical care and technology that we do in the United States. The only thing we can do if we get sick is make sure we stay away from others, and get all the medical help we can, and instead of panicking, we need to educate ourselves.

I'm slightly worried, because I'll be going to New York City this Saturday for the cherry blossom festival. I don't really want to get sick, but I don't think I'll die from it if I do..

I'm more worried about getting sick right now because I simply cannot afford to miss school. There's less than 2 weeks left before we're done for the year, and I'm overloaded with work and finals - I can't miss anything. Not only that, but I can't risk giving it to my mom, because she has to work, obviously.

This post has been edited by Hikarii: Apr 28 2009, 02:58 PM
+Quote Post

Luxord
post Apr 28 2009, 03:00 PM
Post #4

The Idiot of GTS.
Group Icon

Member No.: 6 212

My Fantasy Team

The only way people have been dying from it is the unhelathy,unfit really young and really old

we are all grand.. as far as I know!!!

but I amnt worried (I live in ireland) I just think even if I get it I know im healthy and fit so......

--------------------
Everyone is still HERE happy.gif
+Quote Post

jwalraven
post Apr 28 2009, 03:06 PM
Post #5

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 3 932

Active Squad

I believe that the media is over hyping it. Yes, people have died from it but how many people out of the whole population of that area? It's just a drop in the bathtub.

The media is treating this like every other random "pandemic" before this like SARS, mad cow, avian flu, and West Nile virus. Just go about your business and take care of yourself. Remember the symptoms of this swine flu is the same as many other flu/cold/allergy ect. out there.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Troy Bolton
post Apr 28 2009, 05:48 PM
Post #6

Bet On Me
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 282

Active Squad

Come on guys. We're overreacting, more than a bit. Bearing no disrespect towards Mexico or its citizens, but Mexico is not exactly renowned for its great medical system. Notice, firstly, that the fatalities of this flu have all been residents- lived, and died- in Mexico. The current strain has, at the time of this posting, not caused a fatality in any other countries. And yes, I said ~this~ strain. We've had swine flu outbreaks before.

Patient Zero himself, Edgar Hermandez, who was 4, went on to make a full recovery. His neighbors had been !complaining about the filthy conditions in which he lived. We didn't even have any clue how to treat him, but his weak, newly made immune system prevailed.

Oh! And, if we have any older viewers listening, we went through this already. There was an outbreak of swine flu, albeit a different strain, in 1976. And the biggest problem back then, was a media spin that showed that three old people who received the immunization died. Fun fact: old people die. Sorry guys. Though, indeed, Guillian-Barre syndrome did appear to be a very rare side effect in younger people, the ratio of contraction from this immunization was 1 to 1 million. That's 1:1,000,000. The media caused a huge stir, and people ended up being more scared of "Big Brother's" scary vaccine that killed old people and paralyzed young people. Said Guillian-Barre syndrome affected 500 people, or so.

tl;dr- keep safe, keep clean, you're fine, stop worrying.

--------------------
[align=center]
[/align]
+Quote Post

Switzerland
post Apr 28 2009, 06:11 PM
Post #7

Lazy Genius out for world domination- EVENTUALLY!
Group Icon

Member No.: 14 948

Non-wifi team

I am not particularly worried, even though I live near the Mexican Border. My high school was thinking about shutting down even though we have not had a reported case. I think they are overreacting too much...

--------------------
I claim Vash and Hunny-chan!

Currently breeding:

Zurich (Zergoose) and Winnetka (Winter Pixel)
+Quote Post

TQQ
post Apr 28 2009, 06:16 PM
Post #8

Justin
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 244

Active Squad

oh, im totally not worried about it, the most recently confirmed american case is only a 5 minute walk from my house. /sarcasm

(i live in northeast ohio, btw.)

--------------------

+Quote Post

Jolty the Jolteo...
post Apr 28 2009, 07:24 PM
Post #9

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 12 555

Pokemon Platnium Team

The American media is overreacting as usual. I love it. The Canadian news is doing nothing but reassuring people that everything will be fine and that we have enough medication stockpiled to treat 25% of the population, which is in all likelihood not going to be necessary, while the American news is screaming about how everyone is going to die and oh no, doom and gloom, the sky is falling.

Edit:

This post has been edited by Jolty the Jolteon: Apr 28 2009, 10:18 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Kaname Madoka
post Apr 29 2009, 01:22 PM
Post #10

housewife extraordinaire!
Group Icon

Member No.: 7 542

Team HG

Epic win. XDD
+Quote Post

Flamer
post Apr 29 2009, 01:38 PM
Post #11

Insert whitty phrase here
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 2 757

Faves

Lol, the Swinub flu thing is funny laughing.gif

But as pointed out before, Mexico is a LEDC, (poor country for those who don't do geography) so is far less equiped than a MEDC, (rich country) like England or the US. Therefore, more people are bound to be badly effected by it than in areas in which most of us live. Also, they where the first to get it, so now the rest of us have had time to prepare and over react about it.

However, just becuase it doesn't effect us people here doesn't mean it won't be a problem. There are far more people living in LEDCs than MEDCs out there, and they are not as well equiped to deal with it as we are. Egypt planning to slaughter all thier pigs may seem a bit over the top to us, (the country who are going to order 30 million face masks dumblook.gif ) but they have a far more genuine reasons to be concerned than we do about it. After all, not everyone has a free health care system you know wink.gif

This post has been edited by Flamer: Apr 29 2009, 01:39 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

misa acar
post Apr 29 2009, 01:42 PM
Post #12

THE worthless blobb
Group Icon

Member No.: 8 886

dream team

I hope this flu isnt to sereous. My boyfriend is from mexco, he is in canada now, but i hope it is overwith when he goes back to him home... I dont want him getting sick with this bug... crying.gif Do you think it will blow over in mexco before the end of june? I dont want to think of him being in mexcio city if this swine flu is still as bad as it is now...

--------------------
All events eggs! Help them hatch!
---------

My Pokemon (click to show)
+Quote Post

Hornett
post Apr 29 2009, 01:56 PM
Post #13

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 10 063

I only use:

I live in Queens, New York. I know people who go to the "infected" schools and I work with the public five days a week. I'm not going to panic but I do think caution is a good idea.

I tend to stay away from medicine in general, so I imagine my immune system will be powerful enough to fight it off if I do get infected. Honestly, the only way I would trust/take some vaccine for it is if I really and truly felt that I would die if I did not.

I hope everyone here questions everything they hear (including anything I might say). Beware of disinformation.
+Quote Post

The Darkrai
post Apr 29 2009, 02:05 PM
Post #14

Blaze of Gory
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 412

Original Squad

I dont know weter to be worried about it or not. I seems potenially deadly, and schools are already closing because of it.

--------------------

I have no more words.
darkrai.gif

+Quote Post

Jolty the Jolteo...
post Apr 29 2009, 03:33 PM
Post #15

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 12 555

Pokemon Platnium Team

QUOTE(Flamer @ Apr 29 2009, 01:38 PM) *
Egypt planning to slaughter all thier pigs may seem a bit over the top to us, (the country who are going to order 30 million face masks dumblook.gif ) but they have a far more genuine reasons to be concerned than we do about it. After all, not everyone has a free health care system you know wink.gif

That is absolutely ridiculous.
Their pigs are at absolutely no risk of contracting this particular strain of swine flu because they are not in contact with Mexican pigs. The Egyptian pigs are fine. In fact, the only way that they could contribute to the spread of this form of swine flu is if they got it from a human. They are no more likely to make people sick than any other type of livestock.

You also can't get it from pork, in case you're wondering.

--------------------
+Quote Post

spike6958
post Apr 29 2009, 04:27 PM
Post #16

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 14 038

My Pokemon Team

Well the world threat level for Swine flu has been upgraded from a level 4 theat to a level 5 theat out of 6, within the last hour, meaning that it is getting serious, but they are unsure on how bad it truly is outside of Mexico and America, myself im not too worried at the moment though, i havn't ever been to Mexico, i don't know anyone who has been to Mexico in the last year, i don't eat Mexican food, the only true reason people are in a panic over it is because they can't control it, human's have always been frightend by anything they cannot control.

--------------------

Click my Team and i'll match you click for click.
Woo, Regice egg, click please.

+Quote Post

Flamer
post Apr 29 2009, 04:32 PM
Post #17

Insert whitty phrase here
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 757

Faves

QUOTE(Jolty the Jolteon @ Apr 29 2009, 09:33 PM) *
QUOTE(Flamer @ Apr 29 2009, 01:38 PM) *
Egypt planning to slaughter all thier pigs may seem a bit over the top to us, (the country who are going to order 30 million face masks dumblook.gif ) but they have a far more genuine reasons to be concerned than we do about it. After all, not everyone has a free health care system you know wink.gif

That is absolutely ridiculous.
Their pigs are at absolutely no risk of contracting this particular strain of swine flu because they are not in contact with Mexican pigs. The Egyptian pigs are fine. In fact, the only way that they could contribute to the spread of this form of swine flu is if they got it from a human. They are no more likely to make people sick than any other type of livestock.

You also can't get it from pork, in case you're wondering.

I was just repeating what I read here

"The Egyptian government says it has begun slaughtering of the country's 300,000 pigs as a precautionary measure, despite repeatedly stating it has no cases of swine flu."

Maybe the Egyptian Goverment are just really stupid dumblook.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Sportsfan666
post Apr 29 2009, 04:38 PM
Post #18

It's been awhile since I changed this.
Group Icon

Member No.: 9 506

Active Squad

o-o dont kill the piggies.. its not there fault.. i dont think it is anyways.. there animals they cant help it ._.

the u.s is crazy like that the south states are relied on for tons of things (mostly oil and farm stuff)
it would suck if all the farms got messed up cause farmers got sick o_o (for those who are bad at geography, the south is at the bottom of the united states, so there also above mexico, and its spreading threw the south states)

i dont think is gonna be like as bad as the wars and stuff but still its not good crazy.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

KendoSword
post Apr 29 2009, 04:46 PM
Post #19

Killer Queen or some such
Group Icon

Member No.: 13 071

JIGGLE

I'm not worried. I live all the way in the northern USA. Though I'm developing a congested cough it's clearing up. :]

--------------------
A fan fiction.
magikarp.gif
Daycare - Wailmer x Donphan
Egg Count: 40-something
Here's my parteh.
I don't care to edit this part of my OLD signature.
Other Adoptables (click to show)
Clubbies! JOIN DEM (click to show)
My Personality Quiz Results... (click to show)
+Quote Post

Blur
post Apr 29 2009, 04:56 PM
Post #20

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 17 139

Active Squad

The fact of the matter is, as it may be important; and extremely dangerous. I think that the mass media is blowing it out of proportion. Which is only going to make the panic worse. My mom was getting all freaked out about revelations just from watching CNN. It's ridiculous as a whole.

--------------------
http://gpxplus.net/user/Blur

Help my eggs out, I tend to click back, but only as many times as you click mine. ;x
+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 11:10 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.