Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Names You're Surprised Were Allowed/Not Allowed
Zabimaru
post Oct 23 2013, 04:22 AM
Post #1

I Dream of Ponyta
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 16 541

FIRE!!!

Well I'm sure by now we've all ran into the name filter that disallows certain names. Well those of us who name their pokemon anyways. I'm just curious as to what names, if any, you've run into that you felt were questionable. Barring that I am also curious to find out what innocent seeming names the game has refused to let you use.

I've run into the filter twice but cannot recall the rejected names. However...it let me name my hippopotas 'Herniated' [I'm overweight and my friends joke that i'm a herniated hippo]. Also I traded a ralts on the gts for a mareep. The mareep came to me named 'Shaged Sheep' which I felt was odd considering the implication in the name.

So your turn. What names have you run into that were/weren't allowed on Pokemon X and Y?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Darkrow
post Oct 23 2013, 04:27 AM
Post #2

Some frickin' video game nerd.
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 16 016

Unbreakable Team

I've gotten a Pansage called Kush and a Froakie called D!CKMUNCH, though the latter was clearly allowed due to the ! replacing the I.

As for Kush, though, I don't know why such a common name for what's possibly the most well-known drug out there wouldn't be blocked, but hey.

For your Mareep, I think it was accepted because 'shagged' was mispelled. Having a filter that flat out doesn't let you name pokémon what you want seems a bit silly to me, as maybe they could have just made it so it cannot be shown online or traded, I dunno.

--------------------
+Quote Post

ShrapnelStars
post Oct 23 2013, 05:24 AM
Post #3

Well, I wish I'd wished you well
Group Icon

Member No.: 4 143

Let Us In

"Killer Tree" wasn't allowed for my Sudowoodo, after 4 other gens of naming it exactly that. "Spice" wasn't allowed for a friend's Pumpkaboo, either. I mean, I know why they both weren't allowed, but GF just made a pokemon whose dex entry explicitly states that it's the ghost of a dead child (Phantump). Not being able to use the word "killer" seems extremely unfair in the face of that. I'll see if "Khiller Tree" works.

They need to get rid of these stupid filters and allow you to rename traded Pokemon and have names not show up online if they're so worried. The solution to the problem is far simpler than they're making it out to be.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Mars Adept Enten
post Oct 23 2013, 10:42 AM
Post #4

Certified Psychotic Isaac Fangirl and Legendary Dogs Enthusiast
Group Icon

Member No.: 18 522

GS Crew

I remember trying to nickname my Pansear 'Akakaen', but it triggered the censor for some weird reason. Considering it's AFAIK only Romanized Japanese for 'red fire', I was quite puzzled. And some names that I'm kind of surprised the censors didn't catch (with reasons behind in parentheses)

Golgotha (rather morbid, as it means 'place of the skull')
Morte (also morbid, as it means 'death')
Gorishi (because it has ishi which contains the string 'shi', which could be considered an attempt at bypassing the censor)
Asterion (because of the first part of the name, 'As' which could also be considered an attempt at censor-dodging)

So I have no clue why the censor considers Akakaen to be objectionable, when there are names that I've managed to get past with some pretty morbid connotations/attempts at radar-dodging.

--------------------
I'm also known as Queen_Lugia on SPPf, and Queen-Articuno on dA, as well as a former aspiring trinketer on GPX+, a proud TheRunawayGuys fangirl, a proud participant of Extra Life, and proud supporter of TwitchPlaysPokemon.

I claimed Isaac from Golden Sun. Hands off mah bishie! tongue.gif And Capt. Linebeck, too!

Follow Isaac-kun to get to my party. I appreciate and try to return clickbacks! happy.gif

Thanks, xJesstheMess!

My shop! I appreciate requests! cat.gif

Entei stuff! (click to show)

Other stuff... (click to show)

Credit to: (click to show)
+Quote Post

Nyasupa
post Oct 23 2013, 11:29 AM
Post #5

0576 4790 0226
Group Icon

Member No.: 70 314

gay

@Mars I don't think they've bothered to circumvent filter dodges

Disallowed Gypsobelum on my Goomy, literally slug peeper. Touche, Gamefreak

This post has been edited by Whimsicott: Oct 23 2013, 11:31 AM
+Quote Post

Zabimaru
post Oct 23 2013, 11:43 AM
Post #6

I Dream of Ponyta
Group Icon

FIRE!!!

Thing is 'Akakaen' contains 'kaka' which is a term for feces.

While googling something about the game I got caught up with reading threads about random questions and topics pertaining to the game. I recall reading about someone who found that they were not allowed to name their stunky 'Poopbum' but that 'Poobum' was an acceptable name. O.o

Oh and I was reading a story on a forum devoted to peoples' real ghost stories...one was about hearing the spirit of their dog...named 'Kush' ...they said it meant something like happiness or light [or something good like that] in some indian [India based](I think) language. So just because in English speaking regions kush = drug doesn't mean it does elsewhere in the world.

Even if they didn't allow you to change the traded poke's name they should at least be able to star out the offensiveness when it appears online. Also if someone is offened with the name they can choose to either breed then release the offending 'mon or do a same poke trade on the gts.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Darkrow
post Oct 23 2013, 03:46 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Unbreakable Team

Main thing that made me assume Kush was for the drug was that it was from the US and it was a Pansage, which has plants on its head, so it wouldn't be too hard for someone to call it that and make a reference to drugs.

That and, well, they're censoring words that are offensive or touchy in any language or culture, so that point is kinda moot I believe.

I do wish you could rename traded pokémon or event pokémon, and maybe make it less of a hassle by not needing the Name Rater to do it each time. Like... find him once and he gives you a device to rename pokémon.

Also, as for the censoring not allowing you to even name a pokémon something offensive (instead of just preventing trading it and stuff), I think it may be because of the Streetpass capabilities and the Pokémon Amie part letting you see other people's pokémon with ease. It's silly, but that may be why. :/

--------------------
+Quote Post

somnivore
post Oct 23 2013, 05:40 PM
Post #8

Super high-level high school fanfic author!
Group Icon

Member No.: 32 575

GymLeaderDreamParty

'basement' is disallowed as a nickname because it has 'semen' in the middle. these filters are ridiculously sensitive. i would never even have known that word was in 'basement' unless gamefreak had pointed it out to me. happy.gif

--------------------

add me to your pal pad for daily clicks!
hablo un poco de espańol & je parle un petit peu de français!

+Quote Post

Zabimaru
post Oct 24 2013, 01:29 AM
Post #9

I Dream of Ponyta
Group Icon

FIRE!!!

QUOTE(somnivore @ Oct 23 2013, 06:40 PM) *
'basement' is disallowed as a nickname because it has 'semen' in the middle. these filters are ridiculously sensitive. i would never even have known that word was in 'basement' unless gamefreak had pointed it out to me. happy.gif

Well I'm curious as to who would name a pokemon 'basement'. Oh and now I will /never/ be able to look at 'basement' the same way pinch.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

Nyasupa
post Oct 24 2013, 02:29 PM
Post #10

0576 4790 0226
Group Icon

Member No.: 70 314

gay

Thomond is disallowed. Desmond is fine.

... OH. I get it. Homo.
I have the most trouble with my Goomies.
+Quote Post

Tazii
post Oct 25 2013, 06:22 AM
Post #11

Tikk Tokk
Group Icon

Member No.: 39 543

A Taste of The Fury

I couldn't name my Haunter 'Isobella'. ;~; My Haunters are ALWAYS Isobella. I had to call her 'Isabella' instead. Is... Sob a bad word now?

--------------------
+Quote Post

Darkrow
post Oct 25 2013, 06:28 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

Unbreakable Team

QUOTE(DocWorth @ Oct 25 2013, 07:22 AM) *
I couldn't name my Haunter 'Isobella'. ;~; My Haunters are ALWAYS Isobella. I had to call her 'Isabella' instead. Is... Sob a bad word now?

If it is, then maybe they censored it because it's commonly used as an acronym of Son of a Bitch (for example, one tough S.O.B.). Kind of went overboard if that's the case. :/

--------------------
+Quote Post

LittleShadowPoke...
post Oct 25 2013, 12:35 PM
Post #13

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 490

Sweet Team

My mother named her elemental monkeys in a theme: Chimp, Champ, and Chump, except Chump the Panpour was caught by the filter. I got a Pansear through Wonder Trade by the name of Firetits, which I got rid of immediately.

While I do think people should be past naming their Pokemon immature things and it really does ruin my fun, filters aren't generally the way to go with these things. Like all previous examples, it's censoring perfectly okay words.

This post has been edited by LittleShadowPokemon: Oct 25 2013, 12:36 PM

--------------------
Me (click to show)

PANE (click to show)

Credits (click to show)
+Quote Post

Mars Adept Enten
post Oct 25 2013, 03:20 PM
Post #14

Certified Psychotic Isaac Fangirl and Legendary Dogs Enthusiast
Group Icon

Member No.: 18 522

GS Crew

I ran into another Romanized Japanese nickname getting blocked last night. I caught a Pawniard and wanted to name her Tokusatsu, but I couldn't. I had to shorten it down to Toku instead. My only hypothesis is that either the 'kusa' string triggered the censor, considering that it's one letter away from kuso; or the 'ku' string did, considering that that's similar to the word for 'ass' in Brazilian Portugese.

--------------------
I'm also known as Queen_Lugia on SPPf, and Queen-Articuno on dA, as well as a former aspiring trinketer on GPX+, a proud TheRunawayGuys fangirl, a proud participant of Extra Life, and proud supporter of TwitchPlaysPokemon.

I claimed Isaac from Golden Sun. Hands off mah bishie! tongue.gif And Capt. Linebeck, too!

Follow Isaac-kun to get to my party. I appreciate and try to return clickbacks! happy.gif

Thanks, xJesstheMess!

My shop! I appreciate requests! cat.gif

Entei stuff! (click to show)

Other stuff... (click to show)

Credit to: (click to show)
+Quote Post

LeasCelyn
post Oct 30 2013, 02:12 PM
Post #15

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 209 110

Legendary Heroes

Trying to name a Sentret I caught Nip, as in a small animal bite. But when I changed it to Nippers, it went through. o.O If it was trying to censor nipple, which is a silly thing to censor anyway, then you'd think it would have done both. Unless it's actually some obscure racial slur or drug codename I'm not familiar with or something.
+Quote Post

SlaughterMelon
post Oct 30 2013, 03:56 PM
Post #16

Hater of Longitude
Group Icon

Member No.: 98 420

My Slices.

Im suprised that JWittz got away with naming his Fletchinder "Fawkes", he also was allowed to name his Croagunk "ButtPunch". Also pokemon could name Sharpedo, now that doesn't seem weird at all right? Wrong! Split the word in half and you get Shar-Pedo!

--------------------

won by me in the unearthly trials. also won by me in the unearthly trials.

Thx to Emmathetiger for the awesome Trainer sprite of Spectra!
Sprites (click to show)

+Quote Post

Naixatloz
post Oct 30 2013, 04:56 PM
Post #17

A-set, you bet!
Group Icon

Member No.: 56 857

Nip probably was censored because it's an offensive term used to refer to a Japanese person.

I was disappointed that my Haunter couldn't be named Spoopy, and surprised to get a Panpour named Gay from a wonder trade.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Emmagurd
post Oct 31 2013, 06:24 AM
Post #18

Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo
Group Icon

Member No.: 36 116

Mamolicious

Reading through this thread made me want to test out if I could nickname a Pokémon 'Nipple'.

I can.

Nipple the Flabébé.

Hahahahahahahahaa*foreveramused*

--------------------

I do gaming videos! grin.gif Please have a look!
Emmagurd's Youtube

My fiancé does gaming videos for Minecraft, PVK and other stuff! Please take a look! grin.gif
DavidiansLair's Youtube

Made by Bonnie Clyde

+Quote Post

ShrapnelStars
post Oct 31 2013, 02:07 PM
Post #19

Well, I wish I'd wished you well
Group Icon

Member No.: 4 143

Let Us In

Koolaid was banned.
Mr. Fister, however, was allowed.
My Talonflame will resume life as Mr. Fister, which, as we all know, is eons less offensive than "Killer Tree" or "Koolaid".
ಠ_ಠ
GF can go so to hell.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Zabimaru
post Nov 1 2013, 03:34 AM
Post #20

I Dream of Ponyta
Group Icon

FIRE!!!

QUOTE(Secondhand Stardust @ Oct 31 2013, 03:07 PM) *
Koolaid was banned.
Mr. Fister, however, was allowed.
My Talonflame will resume life as Mr. Fister, which, as we all know, is eons less offensive than "Killer Tree" or "Koolaid".
ಠ_ಠ
GF can go so to hell.

Koolaid? Isn't there a drug or alcohol with that as a code name?

Barring that maybe trademarked names are disallowed foe legal reasons?

--------------------
+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:25 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.