Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
How did you get into Pokemon?
Bonnie Clyde
post Oct 10 2013, 12:41 PM
Post #1

You're filled with DETERMINATION
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 120 895

Faves <3

The title is pretty self explanatory... I got into Pokemon after I got the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness game (I was like 8 or something when I got it). I thought the title sounded cool, so I wanted to try it out. And after I played it for awhile, I really liked it. I really liked the story line and stuff (I got into it so much that I actually cried at the scene when the Pokemon are heading home after the main story plot ended). And I've been into Pokemon since then.

So, how did it happen with you?

--------------------
[align=center]

[spoiler=][/spoiler]

CHAOS CONTROL[/align]
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Mars Adept Enten
post Oct 10 2013, 01:23 PM
Post #2

Certified Psychotic Isaac Fangirl and Legendary Dogs Enthusiast
Group Icon

Member No.: 18 522

GS Crew

I got into Pokémon thanks to some classmates/grademates in 4th grade (which was around '98-'99). My best friend (who was in a different class than me) gave me a Pokémon Rubix Cube-esque thing, and a kid in the same class as me had a Pikachu picture on his desk, which got me watching the animé, and then I wanted a GameBoy so I could play the games and ended up getting one at a garage sale, but since it didn't want to work, I got a GameBoy Color with the money I had earned from selling some of my stuff at one of our garage sales, along with Pokémon Yellow. And I've been hooked ever since then. happy.gif I even still have some pictures I drew around that time XD.

tl;dr: I got into the Pokémon fanbase thanks to schoolmates.

This post has been edited by Mars Adept Enten: Oct 10 2013, 01:29 PM

--------------------
I'm also known as Queen_Lugia on SPPf, and Queen-Articuno on dA, as well as a former aspiring trinketer on GPX+, a proud TheRunawayGuys fangirl, a proud participant of Extra Life, and proud supporter of TwitchPlaysPokemon.

I claimed Isaac from Golden Sun. Hands off mah bishie! tongue.gif And Capt. Linebeck, too!

Follow Isaac-kun to get to my party. I appreciate and try to return clickbacks! happy.gif

Thanks, xJesstheMess!

My shop! I appreciate requests! cat.gif

Entei stuff! (click to show)

Other stuff... (click to show)

Credit to: (click to show)
+Quote Post

Emmagurd
post Oct 10 2013, 01:49 PM
Post #3

Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo
Group Icon

Member No.: 36 116

Mamolicious

Oh blimey, we are going back some years ago, now...

I'm 24, so I'm from the "older" generation of Pokémon fans. I just remember that, back in 1997, this awesome cartoon (which I later discovered was actually an animé) started on TV. I began watching it, and then- BAM! PIKACHU IS EVERYWHERE. THE TOY SHOPS WERE SELLING CARDS. WE HAD POKÉMON CLUBS AT SCHOOL. SOMEONE STOLE MY FAVOURITE DARK WARTORTLE CARD.

I remember one lunchtime, my friend John didn't have any money for the Tuck Shop (a little stall in the assembly hall that sold sweets and drinks and stuff). I offered him a Ł1 in exchange for a card. I forget what the card was now... I'm sure it was a shiny of some sort. He also bought me a jelly snake. I loved those jelly snakes.

I also remember trading my shiny Mr. Mime card for a shiny Ninetales. People called me stupid. I didn't care. Ninetales over Mr. Mime ANY day.

This post has been edited by Captain Epic: Oct 14 2013, 03:34 AM

--------------------

I do gaming videos! grin.gif Please have a look!
Emmagurd's Youtube

My fiancé does gaming videos for Minecraft, PVK and other stuff! Please take a look! grin.gif
DavidiansLair's Youtube

Made by Bonnie Clyde

+Quote Post

Letan
post Oct 10 2013, 05:40 PM
Post #4

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 1 219

Lugia Hype

I think you meant to put this in General Pokemon. Gonna move it since I'm guessing if there's an existing thread, it's probably old and dead. sealed.gif

I first heard about it back around 1998 - 1999 when I was hanging out with one of my friends at a model airplane show. He had a Gameboy Color with Pokemon Red and let me and my brother play it for a little bit. I vividly remember that he just did the in-game trade for Jynx so I was using it in a battle on one of the early routes.

Since then, I got into watching the show and I got a purple Gameboy Color for Christmas with Pokemon Blue. From there I also got into the TCG and it sort of just went on from there. I haven't been with the series right from the start, but I got into it when it was really starting to ramp up in popularity.

It's kinda surreal to hear how the younger fans got into it, because for us it was a brand new thing that the general population wasn't sure would just be another 90's fad that would die off.

--------------------
[align=center]

=- Game Dev, currently making a game called Cursed Seasons. I tweet about it sometimes. -=
http://cursedseasons.tumblr.com/
Discord is a thing

[/align]
+Quote Post

ShrapnelStars
post Oct 10 2013, 07:13 PM
Post #5

Well, I wish I'd wished you well
Group Icon

Member No.: 4 143

Let Us In

I got into it when it first hit the US. I remember seeing the ads on TV with the Pokemon getting on the school bus or getting caught in a net and about to be smashed by a wrecking ball or something like that. I thought the monsters were cool, but I had no idea what it was. When I saw someone playing the game and got the gist of it from watching them, I instantly asked my aunt to get me Red version. She got it for me for my birthday. cat.gif

Pikachu and Charizard were my favorite pokemon back then, then it switched to Pikachu, Clefairy, Squirtle, and Mew. The only pokemon in that list I ever played with and enjoyed were Squirtle and Clefairy. The only pokemon I even remember from my first playthrough were my level 78 Blastoise and level 56 Clefable. I never used the "run" function back then, so I was at those levels by the time I hit Cinnabar Island. I never beat the Elite 4, either. I didn't even know they existed. I couldn't figure out the Victory Road puzzles. "What the heck are those dots on the ground? I pushed a boulder over them, but nothing happened! I'm still lost! Whatever. I'll play around the other towns some more." This was in the first room of the cave, mind you.

--------------------
+Quote Post

draconitas
post Oct 11 2013, 01:43 AM
Post #6

Devourer of Oranges
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 33 753

SKYARAJASK ARMY

The year was 1997; my mother (who worked for Hitachi) was often exposed to Japanese fads because most of the senior management in her company was Japanese. I once ended up at a work party where we did the whole blindfolded smash-the-watermelon (like a pinata) thing. She showed me a page of Pokemon stickers and told me it was 'something they like a lot in Japan'.

Anyway, we ended up in Australia for a family vacation end of the following year, and I got a GBC and Pokemon Red as a Christmas gift. Soon all my cousins of around my age were playing. I'm the only one who's really kept with it, though - I've completed R/Y, G/S/C, FR/LG, S/E, P/Pt, HG/SS, W, and B2 so far.

I still have stacks of cards from the TCG but nothing newer than 12 years.

This post has been edited by draconitas: Oct 11 2013, 12:08 PM

--------------------
You can call me niel. <3

Ninja Army: 63 units (click to show)
Groups (click to show)

GOLDEN UNFAIL
IS ME

+Quote Post

Tazii
post Oct 11 2013, 04:28 AM
Post #7

Tikk Tokk
Group Icon

Member No.: 39 543

A Taste of The Fury

It hit Australia at about 1998-1999, so I was around six at the time. My brother's friend, who was ten, had a copy of it. I use to watch my brother and his friend play games all the time, and the same happened then. I was stuck with watching at first, mainly because I was too young and the one time I got my hands on a game, my brother ended up with a box full of Geodudes. But from there, I started watching the show, and soon I got a copy of pokemon Yellow for myself.
I was still a little young at the time, and needed a hell lot of help, but then was about the time I got 'into it'. Considering it's fairly hard to remember much more past the age of five, I can't imagine a time I wasn't 'into it'.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Wastelander
post Oct 11 2013, 12:10 PM
Post #8

True king
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 552

The Runaways

I got aqcquainted with a lil' thing called a GBA and the first game that I got with it was Pokémon Crystal. As soon I saw Totodile the fan-ness kicked off at once. happy.gif

--------------------

Software engineer by day. Hermit writer by night.
nothing is impossible chasing a super hero on the run
+Quote Post

Pizza Guy111
post Oct 11 2013, 07:36 PM
Post #9

Humble Soldier
Group Icon

Member No.: 41 986

The Brigade

I got Blue on the first day it came out. I was at my dad's house and my brother showed me the art for them. I figured I NEEDED to have it because Blastoise so we trekked over and I got it, my bro got Red.

--------------------
Stuff (click to show)
+Quote Post

Zigzagoon
post Oct 13 2013, 05:30 AM
Post #10

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 192 055

My Favourites

I got into Pokemon after watching the first series when I was younger, and then getting a whole bunch of Pokemon cards from my older brother and sister. I didn't actually play a Pokemon game until Pokemon Ruby, which my brother found along with a Gameboy advance in the middle of nowhere on a hike trip. Even though it had been raining, it still worked. OuO

--------------------
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Oct 14 2013, 01:58 AM
Post #11

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Member No.: 34

Active Squad

I played Pokemon Blue way back in 99 or 2000 because everyone else was doing it. Whatever second grade was

--------------------
+Quote Post

Shauntal
post Oct 15 2013, 02:54 PM
Post #12

Queen of the Mismagius
Group Icon

Member No.: 170 024

the dream baybee

I was watching Cartoon Network by some off chance one day and it happened to be playing Pokemon, when Ash was in the Hoenn region. I thought it looked cool, and then became unhealthily obsessed with it. smugnod.gif

--------------------

Spoiler (click to showhide)

+Quote Post

Jaze
post Oct 16 2013, 02:43 PM
Post #13

raise me up
Group Icon

Member No.: 141 668

brite lites

i was 4-5 years old and burger king was giving away pokemon toys. it was like a cube thing that had a picture of a pokemon on each side. then once i started school, everyone was into it, so i got into it too.

--------------------

telling me that basically you're not looking out for me
everything is true to me, never words where you would see
+Quote Post

TemptingTomorrow
post Oct 16 2013, 02:55 PM
Post #14

Smeargle Addict
Group Icon

Member No.: 158 009

Smeargle Addict

I think it was in 07'. We went to Gamestop, and I saw Pokemon Diamond. I had $50 to spend from Christmas money, so I was like, I want to try it! So I got it.
"How's the game sweety?" Mom asked.
"Awesome!" I replied.
Then I kept getting games!
Now in my grade, everyone hates Pokemon, so I have nowone to play with. sad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

Deyula
post Oct 19 2013, 12:19 PM
Post #15

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 208 388

Electric Flight~!

The anime, Indigo League when it was still new. I remember my brother and I as kids, for awhile, never watched it (thought it was dumb or something). One day, while Mom surfed the channels, she was like "Here, watch Pokemon" and just left it on. First time we watched it and....POKEMON FANS! I think the first episode we saw was when Charmander evolved. LOL, even my parents enjoyed watching it with us sometimes. It was really funny~

I am hoping to get my hands on the games, anything from Gen 1-3, when I can afford a Nintendo DS or Gameboy Advanced. Ohh...a Pokemon game would be so fun! (Why didn't they ever make a PC version, why?)

--------------------

^ Lovely banner created by SpiritoftheOcean from The Ocean Floor Shop ^

+Oppsites Attract-

^ created by Lord Akuma from
the The Grimm Refuge shop
+Quote Post

SpiritoftheOcean
post Oct 19 2013, 12:34 PM
Post #16

Multitasker
Group Icon

Member No.: 113 641

The Guardians

Well lets see.......

It was the summer of 2005 when I walked into summercamp, and This kid in my group had these cool cards. he had about 200 of them and they all said pokemon on the back of the cards. Now, me being an obnoxious kid, I go up and ask for one. Now By pure fate, he gave me the one card I never dreamed of there being. A Phanpy.... Now when I was little, I loved elephants out the wazoo! I had a little stuffed elephant that I carried everywhere, and had elephant shirts on and everything. Now the Phanpy card he gave me was like a door opening to a new life.. A life of pokemon. After that I kept collecting the cards and I have maybe 6 different phanpy cards and a thousand more.

I got into the games on Feb 15, 2008, and I just turned 8. I got Pokemon pearl for my birthday, and I had no clue what I was, or how to play. I was a freak about animals when I was little, so when I plugged it into my ds and saw that the pokemon were based off of animals, I was hooked. As the year went on, all the kids in my School got into it too. They got the cards, and the games , and It was great. It lasted until 4th grade when HG/SS came out. We all had our poke walkers and showed off our cool pokemon, and then It started to fade, with COD and HALO coming into my friends minds. They all forgot about pokemon, except for a few. Now I'm in my 8th grade year, and I still play. I love pokemon and I started experimenting with them and made sprites, first for fun and now for my shop. But yeah I'm a pokemon nerd , and have been since that day I got that Phanpy card

--------------------
/Users/Patrick/Desktop/Aztec eSports Logo copy.jpg
+Quote Post

diamondstark
post Oct 25 2013, 01:14 AM
Post #17

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 102 716

Active Squad

My family thought Pokemon was satanic for a while, so I was not allowed to watch or play Pokemon. One day when I was only nine years old, I asked my mom if I could rent Platinum from Blockbuster. I took it home and played it up to Eterna city. Then I had to take it back to the rental store.
But I got it from my grandpa for Christmas in 2010! I was the most excited kid in the world that day.
I took it home and played it so much it wasn't even funny. I was obsessed with Pokemon for about an entire year.
I'm not as obsessed now, but I still play it every now and then. >u>

--------------------
My stupid 10 year old self used to use this account. I ask that you please excuse his actions.

Groups I am a member of: (click to show)
+Quote Post

Zedd
post Oct 26 2013, 03:47 PM
Post #18

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 208 473

Active Squad

I'm pretty sure that when I was a baby/toddler my parents would put Pokemon on the TV for me to watch.
When Pokemon Yellow came out my older brother got it and since he was a cool guy he let me play it sometimes when I was actually old enough to play it. I remember that I wasn't allowed to save over his file so I had to start from the beginning every time I played! Since I was only like 4 or 5 I didn't care/mind.
blush.gif
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Nov 6 2013, 02:00 AM
Post #19

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Member No.: 34

Active Squad

QUOTE(Evil Endeavor @ Oct 16 2013, 02:55 PM) *
I think it was in 07'. We went to Gamestop, and I saw Pokemon Diamond. I had $50 to spend from Christmas money, so I was like, I want to try it! So I got it.
"How's the game sweety?" Mom asked.
"Awesome!" I replied.
Then I kept getting games!
Now in my grade, everyone hates Pokemon, so I have nowone to play with. sad.gif

You don't know how weird it is for me to see someone getting into Pokemon through Pokemon Diamond. I'm not saying it's bad or anything, but it's just interesting because many people around my age (on this forum) got into it through a 16-bit portable system.

Checking your age, I've been playing Pokemon since around the time you were born or before. I think I'm starting to feel old

--------------------
+Quote Post

xXJessicaPandaXx
post Nov 7 2013, 05:26 PM
Post #20

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 209 969

Active Squad

I first got into it back in 1997 when all those pokemon commercials were being shown on TV and the anime was just starting to air in the US. I was 5 at the time and my brother was 9 and he basically introduced me to it and got me to watch it. I remember everyone loving pikachu and everything. Then Pokemon Red and Blue came out and my brother got them and would let me play. Eventually he gave me Pokemon Blue to play. I absolutely loved it a whole lot. I remember always playing it along with the trading card game and the Pokemon: Master Trainer board game. I remember we had so many pokemon merchandise and even collected the pokemon toys that Burger King was giving out. Ahhh those were such good times. Though eventually I ended up losing interest in pokemon when the sixth season came out. The last pokemon game I played was Silver. I started playing my Pokemon Blue game last year again and slowly started getting back into it. Now I'm currently getting more into it with Pokemon X and rewatching the entire anime cat.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:10 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.