Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
How to build a Sandstorm Team?, Would like some advice
Dorito Ninja
post Feb 15 2014, 10:23 AM
Post #1

Don't touch my Doritos!!!
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 90 053

My Team of Awesumness

Hey guys just wanted to get some advice. I've seen multiple teams buitl around weather conditions such as rain teams, sun teams, and hail teams: However, I've not seen a well-built sandstorm based team yet. I was wondering if anyone knew how to build one. I have a few ideas including:

-Grabbing a powerhouse with Sandstream to start, either Hippowdon or Tyranitar.

-Utilizing pokemon with the abilities Sand Rush/Sand Veil to up Speed and Evasion, such as Sandslash and Stoutland

-Usiing pokemon with steel secondary types to grant immunity, such as Empoleon and Magnezone

If anyone has any ideas on how to add to that or knows any teams like this they have faced, I appreciate all help

Thanks, Dorito Ninja

--------------------
DON'T TOUCH MY DORITOS (click to show)

Current Active RPs:
Hope's Peak Academy (Not started yet, needs 3 more characters.)
Moths to a Flame...(Active)

You see a robber in your house ready to steal all your stuff.
60% would silently call the police for help.
25% would let them go.
15% would grab the nearest weapon and beat the living day lights out of the robber.
Copy this into your sig if you are in that 15%

Quizzes and Things (click to show)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

The Majestic Mr ...
post Feb 17 2014, 12:50 AM
Post #2

The Green Thunder, Kell of L's, Keeper of Stars
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 212 177

Exuberant

Is this in X & Y? Cause I don't have the game if it is. However, in the past, I've used a Tyranitar, and then immediately followed up with Rayquaza because of Air Lock. Having an Empoleon is DEFINITELY a good idea. It's fast, has a resistance to Grass and Sandstrom thanks to its part-steel typing, and provides a good advantage over Grass types with Ice Beam. However, it gains a weakness to ground and fighting because of its steel typing. For Water types, I'd teach Tyranitar ThunderPunch. Even though he's slow, his high defenses will most likely prevent him from being OHKO'd. Then, his high attack stat plus a super effective move (and possibly a gem or something) will almost always KO the opponent. With Tyranitar, you have to be cautious though. His typing leads to a devastating 4 times weakness to Fighting types, and on top that is his slowness. I've fought my friend with his level 100 Tyranitar which had great defenses, and I OHKO'd it with my Keldeo's Secret Sword. If you're playing X & Y, I highly recommend getting an Aggron. In mega form his base defense is 230. That means, with the proper training, he can have upwards of 500 defense stat. And, as most fighting types moves are physical, with the exception of Focus Blast and Aura Sphere, you won't have much of a difficult time. If possible, I'd recommend getting a Genesect. I've had one on my team for the longest time. With all of the moves I taught him, he is able to counter nearly any type. Techno Blast + Douse Drive for Fire types, Flamethrower for grass, bug, and ice, and Thunderbolt for water and flying. Plus he has X-Scissor for Dark and Psychic types. If you can't get a Genesect, or don't already have one, I'd get a Scizor. He's a great Pokemon, is fast, and has the same typing a Genesect. Scizor has a 4 times weakness to fire types, though, so it is a good idea to have Empoleon on your team. Skarmory, a great pokemon and one of my favorites, would be a great addition to your team. Resistance to Sandstorm, immune to Ground, and just plain badass! However, it does have it's flaws. Being part steel gives it a weakness to fire, something Empoleon lacks. However, Skarmory, thanks to being a flying type, does not share the same weakness to fighting that Empoleon has. Skarmory is fast, with a decent base speed of 70. However, attack and defense are where Skarmory really excels. With a whopping 140 base defense, Skarmory is a tank. Not as much as Mega Aggron, but a tank nonetheless. If you utilize Skarmory's speed with it's attack and defense, it may become an undefeatable member of your team. Don't bother with sp. attack, Skarmory is horrible there. As tempting moves like Dark Pulse and Flash Cannon are, stick with Night Slash and Steel Wing. Steel Wing especially, due to it having the chance to raise Skarmory's defense even more. In Gen V, the move Automize was added. If taught to a Pokemon, it will raise the Pokemon's speed by two levels and the Pokemon will become "nimble". By becoming "nimble", the Pokemon's weight is reduced by 100kg. Skarmory weighs 50.5 kg. The move would cause Skarmory to weigh negatively. Automize can also be taught to Aggron, who weighs in at 360.0 kg, or 395.0 kg in mega form. Using this move would cause Aggron to become much faster, and give you more of an advantage. Garchomp is a great Pokemon to have. It's ability is Sand Veil, something that you were looking for. Sand Veil increases a Pokemon's evasion by 25% in a sandstorm. It has great stats, with 108 Base Power in HP, 130 BP in Attack, 95 BP in Defense, 80 BP in Sp. Attack, 85 BP in Sp. Def., and 102 BP in speed. If you're playing X & Y, you won't have a problem with Fairy types thanks to most of your team being Steel type.
That's all I can think of for right now. If I come up with anything else, I'll edit this post.
Ciao! woot.gif

This post has been edited by The Majestic Mr L: Feb 18 2014, 10:02 AM

--------------------

Light is a spectrum. Why limit yourself to a single hue?

Nintendo 3DS FC: 1950-9577-7656
Switch FC: Mr. L: 5429-0347-5697

PM me if you want to add me. happy.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. L banner made by Luigi Mario
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I'M REALLY FEELING IT!
+Quote Post

Dorito Ninja
post Feb 21 2014, 08:35 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

My Team of Awesumness

Okay then here what i'm thnking i'll be able to get off the bat to start my team:

Aggron: Can catch an Aron in the horde at Terminus Cave on my x
Tyranitar: Larvitar at Route 206 in Platinum, then trade over
Empoleon: Restart Platinum, though I may trade my torterra over as a backup too
Garchomp: Catch a Gible on route 13 in x and train
Skamory: Catch on victory road in x and train/breed to get best possible combo/ egg move of brave bird or drill peck
Scizor: Catch Scyther in route 210/215 in platinum and trade evolve

--------------------

Current Active RPs:

25% would let them go.
15% would grab the nearest weapon and beat the living day lights out of the robber.

+Quote Post

The Majestic Mr ...
post Feb 22 2014, 10:29 AM
Post #4

The Green Thunder, Kell of L's, Keeper of Stars
Group Icon

Member No.: 212 177

Exuberant

Yep, that sounds about right! You can also catch Aron at the Feugo Ironworks, and you can always look for a Piplup in the GTS. My friend got almost all of the starters by doing that! Sorry that you have to do all that training, though. But that'll make it even better, because the lower the level, the better their stats will be at level 100!

This post has been edited by The Majestic Mr L: Feb 22 2014, 10:33 AM

--------------------

Light is a spectrum. Why limit yourself to a single hue?

Nintendo 3DS FC: 1950-9577-7656
Switch FC: Mr. L: 5429-0347-5697

PM me if you want to add me. happy.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. L banner made by Luigi Mario
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I'M REALLY FEELING IT!
+Quote Post

Yamper
post Feb 22 2014, 12:08 PM
Post #5

Axew and Volcarona enthusiast
Group Icon

Member No.: 61 211

Invisible Kyurem

QUOTE(The Majestic Mr L @ Feb 22 2014, 03:29 PM) *
Yep, that sounds about right! You can also catch Aron at the Feugo Ironworks, and you can always look for a Piplup in the GTS. My friend got almost all of the starters by doing that! Sorry that you have to do all that training, though. But that'll make it even better, because the lower the level, the better their stats will be at level 100!

The game sets things to level 50 so it's not really worth it.

You'll need something to resist fighting and ground types (lol), they're extremely common within the metagame at the moment. Things like Sand Rush Excadrill holding an Air Balloon is incredibly common (and very good) for a Sandstorm team.

Something else you could consider, is using Pokémon which have Magic Guard or Overcoat. Things like Mandibuzz and Reuniclus would be interesting. Overcoat takes no damage from powder moves or weather, Magic Guard only allows direct damage from attacks.

Your entire team at the moment is bait for Will-o-Wisp. You'll need some special attackers somewhere otherwise you're royally fucked. The only ones I can think of at the moment are Gastrodon, Alakazam and Reuniclus. Gastrodon takes no damage from Sandstorm (plus it has Sand Force) and both Alakazam and Reuniclus have Magic Guard. (Also Empoleon doesn't resist grass, it's just got a neutrality towards it).

With weather teams, the idea isn't to have every single Pokémon relying on the weather due to other weather inducers. You'll want other things that can ideally work well in other weather conditions (for example, if you're paired against a Mega Charizard Y, you've got some issues with typings)

Another thing that could be interesting to try is Choice Scarf Magnezone for a late-game sweeper (ideally these would have Hidden Power Fire + Magnet Pull ability)

This post has been edited by Samoo: Feb 22 2014, 12:12 PM

--------------------

Don't forget to love yourself.
Add me for daily clicks: 873/1000

[align=center]---

Community Thread Shiny List!

---[/align]
[align=right]Breeding Incentives: Mission Cards
[/align]
+Quote Post

Dorito Ninja
post Feb 22 2014, 09:02 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

My Team of Awesumness

Okay: From the sound of things I might switch my Garchomp out for the excadrill you mentioned samoo, as well as bringing in Reuniclus for maybe scizor or Empoleon.

So since i'm kinda new to competetive battling, I'm thinking of how my team is built. Here what I'm thinking:

Mega Aggron = Mega Tank: Iron Defense, Automotize, Iron Head, unknown move
Tyranitar = Physical sweeper? - Thunderpunch, Stone Edge,
Skamory: Support Tank (Nearly everyone says this guy is great for Spikes):Spikes, Steel Wing, Roost, Night Slash
Excadrill: Don't know
Empoleon: Don't Know: Ice Beam
Reuniclus: Special Sweeper
Scizor: Don't Know

Any help with styles and movesets would be appreciated.

EDIT: Also, should my Reuniclus have Magic Guard to prevent indirect damage, or Overcoat to stop sandstorm damage?

This post has been edited by Dorito Ninja: Feb 23 2014, 08:26 PM

--------------------

Current Active RPs:

25% would let them go.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:33 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.