Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Closed TopicStart new topic
Tips on making a good team
Vide0Gam3r
post Sep 3 2007, 08:38 PM
Post #1

The Vide0Gam3r
Group Icon

Group: Validating
Member No.: 240

Active Squad

I would like tips on making a decent team. Any help?

--------------------
My Website.

Oh, by the way...
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Black Ice
post Sep 3 2007, 08:52 PM
Post #2

A New Era
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 28

Active Squad

-Have a good balance of types (don't have more than 2 of the same type on a team)
-Have a good balance of sweepers and tanks, and have at least 1 annoyer
-Don't give crap movesets, and try to give a Pokemon a moveset that compliments what type of Pokemon it is (don't make Infernape into a tank)
-Try to cover many types, Electivire can help with that

I think that's pretty much it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Vide0Gam3r
post Sep 3 2007, 08:54 PM
Post #3

The Vide0Gam3r
Group Icon

Member No.: 240

Active Squad

QUOTE(Black Ice @ Sep 3 2007, 07:52 PM) *
-Have a good balance of types (don't have more than 2 of the same type on a team)
-Have a good balance of sweepers and tanks, and have at least 1 annoyer
-Don't give crap movesets, and try to give a Pokemon a moveset that compliments what type of Pokemon it is (don't make Infernape into a tank)
-Try to cover many types, Electivire can help with that

I think that's pretty much it.

Thank you very much. Anyone else have something to share?

--------------------
My Website.

Oh, by the way...
+Quote Post

RyanK
post Sep 3 2007, 08:56 PM
Post #4

Celebi Celebrity
Group Icon

Member No.: 117

Active Squad

Ok this is a biggy lol.

Dragon Resist (For those draco meteors, dragon claws etc.)
Fighting/Rock/Dark Resist. Gliscor works here too because the most dangerous dark attack is like TTar's crunch really.

Dont have a big weakness to any particular type.

Try to have synergy in your team with pokemon that work together. Its hard to explain here but shit like Skarmory + Blissey and Tangrowth + Heatran is a prime example.

Resistances, resistances, resistances are so important. Having something like Bronzong that resists alot of attacks is really helpful in taking hits.

IMO this is a staple for any team but have something that can take sleep or other status like a Restalker or whatever. Natural Cure doesn't count because that doesn't activate sleep clause so they can just sleep the switch in anyway.

You dont need a counter for every pokemon, but at least have some sort of plan for taking them down, and try not to have a ridiculous weakness to any one particular pokemon. Also it helps if you have something to base your team around, either a strategy or a certain pokemon or whatever.

ALSO IMPORTANT SMOGON LINKS:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26128 - Team building guide basically goes way more indepth than I have, but it's a big read so if you have time to spare then you can read it.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20686 - Pokemon analysis index should give you an idea of good spreads for pokemon and also what counters them.

If you need more help or something contact my AIM: Sevenpiecesix

I am not trying to discredit you BD, but having an annoyer isn't really that important, unless you consider a supporting pokemon like togekiss or celebi an "annoyer" but some dumb shit like "stallrein" or toxicstalling isn't necessary. But every team needs some form of offense or defense no matter how small.

--------------------
I use Wi-fi but my pokemon are hacked, but have things within the field of legality in the game. I also have shoddy battle and I'm waiting for competitor.
Also I claimed Vaporeon.
+Quote Post

The Scizor CCM
post Feb 24 2008, 10:04 AM
Post #5

Geek, Mensan, Gifted... and Proud! Ö
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 839

Active Squad

well, I usually go for this:

2 physical sweepers + 2 special sweepers + 1 physical wall + 1 special wall.
If it's possible, make the walls work together.
example: Forretres (as a physical wall) and Milotic (as a Special wall). Forretress only weakness is fire, but Milotic will take those hits.
I usually go for disabling foe's Focus sash. For this u've got First-hit moves (bullet punch), progressive damage (fire, poison, hail or sandstorm) and Spikes.

Be careful to don't disable ur own focus sashes. I have used something that works well... Tyranitar's sandstorm with focus sashed Lucario. Or Abomasnow with Weavile.

Well, try to cover all the types with ur physical sweepers and try to cover all the types with ur Special sweepers. For that u can use an Infernape with Thunder-punch, Electivire covers a lot of types too.. and for special sweepers, Yanmega and Gengar work good together. Sludge bomb, shadow ball, thunder, focus blast, psychic, energyball... on gengar. And bug buzz, air slash, ancient power, psychic, gigadrain, solar beam... on ur Yanmega. It would be good a fire HP, or ice.

U can use Mixed sweepers, too. For a mixed sweeper the best are:

Kingdra. Mild
252 ev's sp attack and attack and 6 in speed.
- rain dance (raises speed)
- waterfall (if u are faster, possibility of flinching. plus, u've got Stab and Rain, and EV's
- Surf (Stab, Rain, Nature and EV's
- Dragon Pulse (Stab, ev's and nature)

Lucario. Naughty
252 ev's in attack and sp.attack. with the idea of 31 iv's in both stats, Lucario gets more than 300 in both stats
- Extremespeed (speed is untouched, so u'll need this)
- Close Combat
- Dragon Pulse
- Dark pulse / psychic

Infernape/Electivire.
the best for both is modest and 252 ev's in attack and sp. attack.
I recommend electivire because of the hability...
Infernape moves: close combat/mach punch (untouched speed), thunder punch, flamethrower, energyball/Hp grass or ice.
Electivire move's: Thunder, Ice punch, HP grass, earthquake.

The best one for me: SALAMENCE
I'll explain it with the idea of 31 iv's in speed, special attack and attack.
It's a bit difficult to explain, but I'll try to do it lol
Salamence @ Focus sash
Mild
EV's: 252 sp.attack, 112 speed. U've got 146 for share between HP, and defenses. That depends on ur Salamence's iv's.
Moves:
- flamethrower
- hydropump (egg)
- dragon claw
- dragon dance (egg)

I'll explain... EV corner: 252 in sp.attack= 350; nothing in attack= 306; 112 in speed= 364+one dragon dance=396 able to outrun any Pokemon. If u see u'll need dragon clawing, dragon dance. if ur foe changes for a Pokemon that can take dragon claws (steel pokemon) u use flamethrower for it. And remember u still have the plus on speed!
How to get hydropump and dragon dance: Gyarados learns both.
And remember that this moveset, specially speed, works if ur Salamence has got 31 iv's in speed. If not, chaeck ur Salamence iv's and check how much ev's u should give him to get 396 pints on speed.

Hope this helps.

--------------------

Offering legit competitive stuff and no-one has got what you are looking for? Come here!
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Feb 24 2008, 12:57 PM
Post #6

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

CCM, this topic's been dead since September. Making this a huge necropost. Don't do it again in the future, k?

--------------------
+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:52 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.