Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Back in the day when you were a pokemon n00b...
Bronze Charizard
post Aug 16 2010, 03:37 PM
Post #1

Dragons rule. Admit it...
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 76 205

Hot Springs Gym

Way back in the day when I was a pokemon n00b and all I had was Yellow, I took so long fighting Brock that when I finally beat him, my pikachu's hp was in the red, both my nidorans were fainted, and I'd used up the pp on all its moves, so the final blow was dealt with Struggle. On top of that I was stupid enough to go onto the next route without making a PokeCenter visit first.

I watched the anime before I got the games. So when this kid was asking for advice because his metapod wouldnt evolve because all it knew was Harden, I made an idiot out of myself and told him to let it get stung by a beedrill. Needless to say, I got told that the games didnt work like the anime.

I used to come home from school and go straight to the TV. I would then sit through Batman and another show(forgot which one)so I wouldnt miss the Pokemon anime. I know I couldve just memorized what time it came on, but I was young and stupid. That solution never even crossed my mind.

So...what did you do when you were a pokemon n00b?

--------------------

Refresh to see another one of my favorites! I currently have 7 out of 17 types drawn...

RP Characters | Deviant Art
Personality Quizzes (click to show)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Stratospheric Co...
post Aug 16 2010, 04:08 PM
Post #2

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Group: Restricted
Member No.: 107 360

Active Squad

Ah I thought May (my favorite character) was Misty.
+Quote Post

Elegant Flare
post Aug 16 2010, 09:03 PM
Post #3

Fiery and pretty. What more could you ask for?
Group Icon

Member No.: 64 936

Cuties 'n' beauties

At the beggining with Pokemon Yellow, I didn't even know you could catch pokemon. It wasn't until after beating Misty that I figured it out. So... it was just me and Pikachu until then.

--------------------

NEVER hold a princess captive. It gives them tons of time to plot revenge...
and they will probably know where you live...

For the hundreth time, my Nintendo WFC is back up! PM me if you want a 4th gen. battle!
+Quote Post

FiddleTwix
post Aug 16 2010, 09:40 PM
Post #4

No, this is Patrick
Group Icon

Member No.: 55 445

My faves

Traded a holographic Gyarados card for a plain Victreebel. Guy scammed me and said that was way better. I later tried to get it back, but he swore at me and went on his merry way. I later told the guidance counselor and she punished him for swearing at me, however, I never got that Gyarados back.

I used to pronounce "Gyarados" Jai-ar-a-dos. In addition I also went through a brief phase where I pronounced "Charmeleon" "Char-meel-on" and "Wartortle" "War-turtle"

I chose Charmander as my starter because it looked the coolest, not knowing it was the hardest starter for the game. Not really a mistake, in fact I think I was better off in the long run that way, but I would've had a much easier and less frustrating time if I chose Bulbasaur or Squirtle....

I made the very newbie mistake in Pokemon Red of training little to none of the Pokemon I caught after I chose my main party. I jacked up my main party, especially Charizard but 98% of everything in my PC boxes on Red is at the level it was at when caught.

I named my character "Misty" even though he's a guy. Being new to Pokemon that was really the only girl pokemon related name I knew. Awkward meeting Misty in-game. XD

We all make mistakes when we're new with something. We learn from them and grow.

--------------------

Like anime reviews, stuff and more stuff? Like western animation and things? I do those things here nom.gif http://fiddletwix.wordpress.com/
+Quote Post

FancyGranola
post Aug 17 2010, 05:22 AM
Post #5

Elite Double Battler
Group Icon

Member No.: 80 673

Life

I don't like to talk about my younger days because it makes me feel sort of ignorant inside. But recently, the "n00best" thing I have done was pronounce Arceus "Ar-cee-us." The recent movie gave me a slap in the face and pronounced it "Ar-kee-us." My face was twitching when I heard it. The movie was ridiculous.

--------------------

Credits (click to show)
+Quote Post

Izzy
post Aug 17 2010, 09:25 AM
Post #6

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 55 681

Active Squad

Let's see... Back when I watched the anime and hadn't even heard of the game, I wasn't aware of the existence of Charmeleon. I thought Charmander directly evolved into Charizard. I thought Vaporeon, Flareon & Jolteon/Latios & Latias/the Regis evolved into each other somehow, and I thought Pikachu was the strongest Pokemon ever.

Also, the first time I played the game, I only used my starter, so when it came down to the Elite Four, I had my level 70+ starter, a level 50+ legendary and four level 40+ others. Obviously I could never get past the second member.

This post has been edited by Izzy: Aug 17 2010, 10:57 PM

--------------------
Yeah, Please Ignore This For Now... (click to show)

^ Leads To My Party! ^

totodile.gif totodile.gif I Claim Totodile! Yay! totodile.gif totodile.gif
Fear It's Toto-Awesomeness!
+Quote Post

Fatal Queen
post Aug 17 2010, 10:28 AM
Post #7

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 31 778

Emerald Team

I used to think Pokemon Ruby and Pokemon Red were the same thing.
I think that pretty much tops everyone else's x.x

--------------------
+Quote Post

nivnov
post Aug 17 2010, 10:28 AM
Post #8

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 93 619

<3

I went through the Elite 4 with a level 9X Blastoise. awesome.gif
My teams were far from balanced.

--------------------
PC boxes (click to show)
+Quote Post

Elvidge
post Aug 17 2010, 10:46 AM
Post #9

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 109 880

Diamond

I remember calling myself Red, because it was the first name. And then I named Green, Pink. Because he was cool, but obviously not as cool as me. xD
I did however level up my party equally xD, but I had; Charizard, Tangela, Beedrill, Butterfree, Pidgeot, Ditto when it came to the elite four. I only had Ditto left when I got to Lance and beat him with his own Dragonite xD.
I felt big <3

A pretty n00bish thing I did was try and use a grass stone on eevee thinking it'll evolve into a grass eevee... it didn't xD

--------------------
I sprite! But I am no longer taking requests through my topic and and now only taking requests via PM, go ahead! Ask!

Sprites done by me! (click to show)

The Delmory art in my avatar was made for me, steal and I'll take action cat.gif
+Quote Post

Elvidge
post Aug 17 2010, 10:46 AM
Post #10

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 109 880

Diamond

-double post fail-
Sorry.

This post has been edited by Elvidge: Aug 17 2010, 10:47 AM

--------------------
I sprite! But I am no longer taking requests through my topic and and now only taking requests via PM, go ahead! Ask!

Sprites done by me! (click to show)

The Delmory art in my avatar was made for me, steal and I'll take action cat.gif
+Quote Post

Dazmi
post Aug 17 2010, 12:08 PM
Post #11

Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 482

Active Squad

I don't remember too much, but as for noobish things I've done:

-I remember thinking all the stones could be used on Eevee.
-I killed all the legendary birds. I remember thinking they were impossible to catch, as I threw a ball at one and it missed.
-I beat the Elite 4 with my starter at level 100, and like a million items to heal it.
-I thought that shinies were possible to catch in Blue.
-It took me forever to find Mankey. I then realized that I could've caught it early on.
-I used my Master Ball on a Ponyta when I played through Crystal
-I set the Daylight Savings time settings incorrectly. Now my time was always the wrong time when Daylight Savings Time was over.

This post has been edited by Dazmi: Aug 17 2010, 03:05 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

PATD
post Aug 17 2010, 05:22 PM
Post #12

I'm the new cancer, never looked better, you can't stand
Group Icon

Member No.: 106 848

My Amazing H.G. Team

I thought that if you lost to one Elite Four member, you had to start the entire game over from the beginning. *facepalm*

--------------------

Have some composure, where is your posture?
+Quote Post

SparklingMistral
post Aug 17 2010, 06:17 PM
Post #13

Remus Lupin = love. (:
Group Icon

Member No.: 109 208

PANE RP Team

I thought any of the evolution stones could be used on Eevee. My teams were never leveled evenly either; they still aren't to this day.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Rhapsody
post Aug 17 2010, 06:24 PM
Post #14

you got some nice boulders
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 795

porgeymins

Let's see... I started with Ruby, so most of my experiences are from there.

I did the typical "train starter/legendaries to obscene levels, completely ignore other Pokemon" training route. My team before I deleted the file and started over consisted of a high-leveled Blaziken, Rayquaza, Groudon and... Seadra. (One of those things is not like the others.) After resetting it, I eventually had a level 100 Sceptile with Pound. I don't remember if I kept it due to being a moron or if I just wanted the satisfaction of beating something up with Pound, though.

I also seemed to forget that the save function existed at times. I ended up with just a Cascoon in that first double battle... reset the game and ended up back in Oldale. Not among my brighter moments, to say the least. Also ended up using my Master Ball on a Sandslash... damn thing wouldn't stay in the Pokeballs I kept flinging at it.

This isn't really something I "did"... but I thought that Walrein's nose was its eyes for the longest time.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Svanire
post Aug 17 2010, 08:23 PM
Post #15

swagg.
Group Icon

Member No.: 54 850

Active Squad

I thought Zubat's ears were it's eyes.
While I was fighting Misty with my Charmeleon, I kept using Growl as I thought it was an offensive move.
I thought Oddish was a turnip.
I thought Alakazam, Golem and Gengar were unobtainable, until I got a GB Trading Link. @_@
I thought I had to beat the entire game without turning it off or saving.
I got stuck at the part where you get the Parcel from the Pokemart in Viridian City for 1 year and 3 1/2 months.
I thought Meowth evolved from Pikachu. (Hey, I was only 3!)
I thought you actually had to buy the bicycle.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Growlithe Guitar...
post Aug 17 2010, 08:38 PM
Post #16

Guaranteed To Blow Your Mind ♪ ♫
Group Icon

Member No.: 96 383

My Favourites~

Ah, the n00b days. tongue.gif

I got into the Pokemon fad only a little later than my second grade classmates. I distinctly remember always being given Pokemon related colouring pages, mazes and other activities in school, because everyone was so obsessed with it. One of the colouring pages I was given one day was one that had a huge box that asked you to draw your favourite pokemon. Back then...the only pokemon I knew was Pikachu. x'D So I'm copying a picture of Pikachu from another colouring page with Ash, Brock and Misty, when this kid next to me says, "Pfft. You're drawing Pikachu? Don't you know that Mewtwo is the strongest pokemon?!" The funny thing was, pretty much everyone drew either Mewtwo or Charizard in that space. Oh - how times have changed since then. xD

Anyway, I got addicted to the anime around the Johto series for a while, dropped out, then wormed my way back into the obsession when I received my first videogame device (a GBA) from my parents. My friend was playing this "new cool Pokemon game" called Pokemon Sapphire. I tried it out at his house, and I was instantly intrigued. The next day, I grabbed my money and went to GameStop to purchase it for myself! grin.gif
My very first pokemon was Skipper the mudkip. I thought he was the cutest little thing - but I was so confused because I didn't seem to recognise any of the pokemon (when I eventually came across pokemon like sandshrew and koffing I was like...YES - I REMEMBER THESE ONES!" xD). Anyway, I trained Skipper mostly, until he reached 16 and evolved...and I didn't like the way his evolution looked. He rotted in the PC after that fateful day... x'D But soon after that, I caught a marill (a pokemon I remembered) and for some reason, it kinda became the only pokemon I trained. The marill, deemed the name Hamtaro, quickly became an azumarill...and in being the only pokemon I ever trained, it reached level 100. The funny this is, even after I beat the Elite Four and got Hamtaro to level 100, I still didn't understand type advantages/disadvantages. I would KO a level 30 roselia with my level 100 azumarill and smirk at the screen: "It's not very effective? Huh. Looks pretty effective to me."
As I played more Pokemon games, I sorta learned through more experience about all that stuff like the type advantages. Needless to say, I have a special place in my heart for azumarill - ever since Hamtaro (R.I.P: She died when my cousin restarted the game, and I was devastad), azumarill has always been one of my top favourite pokemon. lol.gif

--------------------

"True perfection has to be imperfect."
- Oasis, "Little by Little"
+Quote Post

Shinzu
post Aug 17 2010, 09:11 PM
Post #17

Giratina, Regigigas, and Hypno <3
Group Icon

Member No.: 41 210

The Favs

Oh Gods...

I remember one!

My first Pokemon was Totodile on Crystal. I managed to get to the Elite Four with Feraligatr, and 2 more Pokemon that were like, 30 levels below Feraligatr. xD Then, I beat the Elite Four I don't know how many times, and restarted about 16 times because I 'got bored of Feraligatr'. Here's how much I remember my order of starters: Totodile, Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Cyndaquil, Cyndaquil, Totodile, Totodile, Totodile, Totodile. -Brick'd- That's all I remember though. u.u

AHAHA!
The freaking roaming legends! I had no idea that Raikou, Entei, and Suicune were legendaries, so here I am in Mahogany Town, walking in grass by that one cave for about 6 hours a day after school, chucking normal Poke Balls at Raikou I don't know how many times because I thought it was a normal Pokemon. Then I got pissed off and KO'd it. XDD I was like, "Where's that tiger looking Pokemon...?" and spent like, three weeks trying to find it.

u.u Then I traded it for Blue version, my friend's games got stolen (he had my Crystal), and my sister has hated me forever now (it was originally her game, but when she got it for her birthday, she didn't touch it so I played it. -_-2.gif'' ).

--------------------

Pictures and links! (click to show)

Hypno! (click to show)

Credits- Thank you guys! <3 (click to show)

+Quote Post

Izzy
post Aug 17 2010, 11:02 PM
Post #18

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 55 681

Active Squad

QUOTE(Rhapsody @ Aug 18 2010, 07:24 AM) *
This isn't really something I "did"... but I thought that Walrein's nose was its eyes for the longest time.

Oh, that reminds me! I used to think Zubat's ears were their eyes (like someone else said) and that the swirly patterns on Cradily were their eyes.

--------------------
Yeah, Please Ignore This For Now... (click to show)

^ Leads To My Party! ^

totodile.gif totodile.gif I Claim Totodile! Yay! totodile.gif totodile.gif
Fear It's Toto-Awesomeness!
+Quote Post

lucariolugia
post Aug 18 2010, 07:58 AM
Post #19

Mew sees you have vodka. Give her some? Y/Y
Group Icon

Member No.: 99 714

I can haz Roleplay?

yea stopped watching pokemon anime halfway through the fist series then next thing I knew Who the F*** is may? Not Even Gonna TRY and watch this. *Diamond comes out* OOOOOOOH cool blue pokemon and I wanna catch Mew2!!!
*starts game* Prof Rowan? Wheres Oak? Ah Well. Holy S*** WHAT IS THAT? Wheres Pidgey??????

--------------------

QUOTE(TheMoveDragenda (@DeviantART))
i have a feeling the pokemon world is overpopulated
so it's a tradition to trow your 10 year old kid out of the house and let him fend for himself

DeviantArt~~~Dragonadopters

My character, Mew (click to show)
+Quote Post

proxSam
post Aug 19 2010, 09:52 AM
Post #20

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 61 970

Pink Cat Brigade

I did the some of the same stuff as the op. I was into the anime before I played Yellow (my first game) so I spent agonizing hours trying to figure out why the stuff in the game was different than the show.

I also remember when I first played through Yellow that the evolution stones would work on any Pokemon of that type so I wasted all my money on my first trip to the department store only to find out they worked on maybe a dozen or so Pokemon.

I probably failed at so many other things but I really can't think of anything specific atm.

--------------------
+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:34 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.