Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Harry Potter: Anti-Religious, or just Magical?, Come here to debate!
Reyo
post Dec 22 2011, 03:13 AM
Post #41

I'm in space...space...spacespace
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 30 281

space team

QUOTE(Lolli @ Dec 22 2011, 02:56 AM) *
I remember when all of this went around. My grandma ate this up like a goat to paper. I got one of the books for Christmas and she freaked out. I never actually read the books, though I have been meaning to. As far as I'm concerned they are just like any other book I've read about magic and different worlds that have their own gods and various religions within them.

I still fail to see how Harry Potter was being attacked for being Anti-Religious and we have a book out about a Vampire and a mortal girl having some weird Vampire/Human Hybrid baby. Why isn't that being bashed? (Besides the usual haters of the book I mean.) Or did I miss the bashing because I don't watch the news in the morning? o_o

I'm so behind on current events!

No, Twilight managed to make it through untouched by the religious fanatics who blew up over Harry Potter...it's ludicrous.

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Blaziman
post Jan 2 2012, 01:37 AM
Post #42

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 156 675

Active Squad

Pssh. If anything deserves this treatment, it's Twilight.

"Oh, fuck me, Edward."

"Alas Bella, I cannot."

"Oh, fuck me, Jacob."

"Alas Bella, I cannot."

Not to mention that Harry Potter is waaaay better than Twilight.

--------------------
Your local fire type superhero, bitch.
+Quote Post

Flamewire
post Jan 2 2012, 03:34 AM
Post #43

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 36 859

Active Squad

I think that people are just reading too far into the series. Literally. There's nothing anti-religious about it; there's a difference between fantasy magic and black magic. Magic is magic, yes, but the magic in HP is being used for entertainment. It's got nothing to do with wicca.

--------------------
+Quote Post

shadowicewolf
post Jan 10 2012, 09:56 PM
Post #44

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 41 328

Active Squad

Oh dear i remember this debate (mind you my grandmother is one of those who thinks its evil and every time she came over i had to hide them).

People... run to things like this like flys to honey. When one overly relgious group screams out about it, others follow.

Personally, there is NOTHING in the books that suggest such. Heck if it wasn't for Harry potter, i wouldn't be able to read as well as i can today (its what really got me hooked).

J.K. Rowling meant for the readers to "grow" with the books. So when the first was released, the target age was 11... so on so forth.

Also, on the diery of the whimpy kid note, my 12 year old brother reads and adores those books.

--------------------

+Quote Post

hashtag anthems
post Jan 18 2012, 04:40 PM
Post #45

Let the melody save me, Astoria.
Group Icon

Member No.: 134 285

My Favorites

I don't think there is anything wrong with Harry Potter, and I've been a Christian my entire life.

Some people complain about children reading/watching it because it uses magic, which is "witchcraft" or is encouraging them to "join the occult." Well some of the most famous children's movies use magic. Disney uses magic, for crying out loud! Is Disney being accused of being satanic? I don't think so. When people discriminate against one thing for a reason but not other things, I start to believe they don't even mean it. They might be dead serious, and I'm not trying to joke about this or anything, but you can't pick and choose on this issue or anything else.

--------------------

Come face the music, Astoria.
+Quote Post

Lokiva
post Jan 20 2012, 02:09 PM
Post #46

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 128 496

Pwning Masters

A book doesn't have to be religious at all, people are just over-reacting in my eyes. It's simply a book about magic, not a book about religion and what people should do.

--------------------

95% of teens are obsessed with twilight currently. Put this in your sig if your part of the 5% that think it's a waste of time and completely overrated.

+Quote Post

Chiiyo
post Feb 6 2012, 07:46 PM
Post #47

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 153 978

Precious <3

I still don't get it ... like everyone said, I also think people are over-reacting. I just don't see any specific anti-religious points in these books. ^^

--------------------

The bird filled the sky
and soared through my thoughts.

♣ Treasure ♣ (click to show)
+Quote Post

Avadeya
post Apr 5 2012, 01:39 AM
Post #48

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 90 306

My Favorites

I think it's kind of ridiculous that people think Harry Potter is somehow anti-religion. I mean, sure, you don't get a lot of religious text, if at all, but it's all fantasy and make-believe. Reading Harry Potter isn't going to suddenly make someone pop up and go, "I'm going to go torture little animals and sacrifice them to nature!" unless they're already a bit crazy.

That'd be like saying Unicorns were the thoughts of the Antichrist used to turn children into rampaging beasts bent on destroying humanity as we know it. It's simply not done.

Let fiction just be fiction and enjoy it, rather than make accusations where there shouldn't be any. It's sad when parents ban children from reading good books because they're too paranoid to trust their kids.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Dmitri
post Apr 6 2012, 11:19 PM
Post #49

Lecherous Demon
Group Icon

Member No.: 155 791

Team Scourge

QUOTE(Reyo @ Dec 22 2011, 03:13 AM) *
QUOTE(Lolli @ Dec 22 2011, 02:56 AM) *
I remember when all of this went around. My grandma ate this up like a goat to paper. I got one of the books for Christmas and she freaked out. I never actually read the books, though I have been meaning to. As far as I'm concerned they are just like any other book I've read about magic and different worlds that have their own gods and various religions within them.

I still fail to see how Harry Potter was being attacked for being Anti-Religious and we have a book out about a Vampire and a mortal girl having some weird Vampire/Human Hybrid baby. Why isn't that being bashed? (Besides the usual haters of the book I mean.) Or did I miss the bashing because I don't watch the news in the morning? o_o

I'm so behind on current events!

No, Twilight managed to make it through untouched by the religious fanatics who blew up over Harry Potter...it's ludicrous.

That's because Twilight is published Mormon propaganda.

--------------------
+Quote Post

NiteFrites
post Apr 12 2012, 11:50 AM
Post #50

The lovely bone that grew around me...
Group Icon

Member No.: 162 052

The Lovely Bones...

People who think Harry Potter is anti-religious... I'd have to disagree. I may not watch much o it or read any of the books(well, not as of right now), but I've seen enough to know that Harry Potter is just a fantasy, and that's the thing that most christians dislike. I'm a christian and I still watch and talk about Harry Potter!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Actinium
post Apr 13 2012, 08:43 AM
Post #51

I'm Human Sized! :D
Group Icon

Member No.: 106 466

HG team~

Can I point my fingers at the whole "violence in vedio games will poison the minds of our children and make them violent and bad adults"?

This is just like that.

My household isn't really religious, but I'd have to say that some people just go crazy over this kind of stuff. IT DOESN'T MATTER! I'd have to say that its just magical. Its never stated, but maybe most wizards follow their own religion? That covers for the hollidays. Plus, mybe they celebrate those holidays to count for those students who do, or maybe to add fun little breaks from the class work.

As for the good and evil part, yeah, Harry breaks school rules. You cannot have god books where the hero has to follow the rules. A little rebellion can getyou pretty far. If her didn't break the rules, Harry would either be dead or Voldemort would kill everyone in sight. There's a good balence of Harry gettingg into troble and being caought and him not being caught.

If some people don't want their kids to read these amazing books becuase of them being so called anti-religious, so be it. But they're missing out on one hck of a book serises that is not anti-religious in any way.

--------------------
Sig under renovation. AGAIN.

Song of the Week ~ Headphone Actor, Vocaloid IA

Spoiler (click to showhide)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2024 - 10:15 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.