Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Suggestion: Points for Trinket-trading
Rating 5 V
Ablazing Within
post Nov 27 2018, 03:00 AM
Post #1

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 72 777

Active Squad

Hi guys, first off, an overview of the current state of things:
1. Points required to put a Trinket up: 0
2. Points required to take down a Trinket: 50
3. Points required to offer a Trinket: 0
4. Points required for your offer of a Trinket to go through: 100
5. (Trinkets up:Offers) ratio, in general:
a) Rarity=1, ~100-200:0
b) Rarity = 9, ~10-50:0
c) Rarity =10, ~0-5:~0-5

From the overview 1-4, it can be seen that Trinket-trading by putting it up in the Market is much cheaper than by putting offers up for them, essentially 0 vs 100 points, especially for low-rarity Trinkets (why would you ever need to take them down and incur a 50-point cost? You have so many of them, it's not like they're gonna run out!). The creates a huge surplus of Trinkets on the Market; huge supply as cost is practically zero, low demand due to high price of offering (100 points stacks up quickly when you look at the number of Trinkets, especially low-rarity ones, not available to your Affinity. For your convenience, the link is provided here. As Malachite, there are over a whopping 1700 Trinkets unavailable to me, totaling a cost of over 170,000 points were I to try to trade for them all. This number increases when you take into account trading for Trinkets that technically are available to you but which RNG has not blessed you with.). This also makes Trinket-collecting a veteran player's game, where new players can't afford collecting something otherwise unrelated to their progress when they could otherwise be spending their Points on Extra PC Boxes or Shine Recorder Slots or a Silph Scope or an Odd Incense or SlowpokeTails (I'm just kidding).

The effects of this is actually very apparent as can be seen from overview 5a and 5b; supply on the Market greatly outweighs demand in terms of offers. Only at rarity=10 does this not happen; the factors I imagine are: 1) people trading for rarity-10 are veteran players for which price is no object. 2) costs less to do this for rarity-10 Trinkets as there are very few of them.

From the above, my suggestion would be to scrap the 100-point fee for Trinket-trading! Or at least lower it substantially to below 10-points. This is especially important for Trinkets of lower rarity, for which there are many of them. From overview point 5, it ought to be in effect for rarities 1 through 9, but I understand if you'll want to limit it to maybe 1 through 6?

With the implementation of this suggestion, my hope is that more people will actively participate in Trinket-trading, which in my opinion is a really creative part of the site, especially with how most of the Trinkets are designed by the userbase itself! Would really hope to see the artists' works being admired and appreciated. Thank you for the time spent reading this, and I would appreciate input on how this suggestion can be further improved.

This post has been edited by Ablazing Within: Nov 27 2018, 03:14 AM

--------------------
Party:

GPX+ Shinies (click to show)

Groups (click to show)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Tyranisaur
post Nov 27 2018, 01:11 PM
Post #2

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 47 812

Totally...useless

I would honestly prefer to move the cost rather than remove it. Maybe it would be a deterrent to making bad offers. It seems like the vast majority of offers are a down in rarity.

--------------------

All my stuff is viewable by everyone on my public page.
Make trinket offers faster

The Discord chat is a nice way to hang out with other users.
+Quote Post

Ablazing Within
post Nov 28 2018, 10:50 PM
Post #3

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 72 777

Active Squad

QUOTE(Tyranisaur @ Nov 28 2018, 02:11 AM) *
I would honestly prefer to move the cost rather than remove it. Maybe it would be a deterrent to making bad offers. It seems like the vast majority of offers are a down in rarity.

The vast majority of Trinkets have zero offers for them though, moving the cost forward to when offers are placed, instead of accepted, will further reduce offers, and Trinket trading, because you're no longer even guaranteed a trade for your 100 points...

What you've noticed, about a vast majority of (almost non-existent) offers being a down in rarity, is probably a side effect of this. Let's say I have a desirable Trinket...okay fine I actually have Blue Corn Chip, Rarity 10, 147 in existence. Assuming the situation is as it is now, should I...

a) Offer it for a fair swap? Gain: Trinket of similar rarity and number in existence; Loss: Blue Corn Chip, 100 points; Net Gain/Loss: Loss of 100 points
b) Offer it for an unfair swap? Gain: Trinket of higher rarity/lower number in existence; Loss: Blue Corn Chip, 100 points; Net Gain/Loss: Traded my 100 points for an improvement in my Trinket, otherwise, no change/loss if offer was not accepted
c) Put it up on the Market? Gain: Trinket of a rarity and number in existence I am willing to trade for, it'll be similar if not better than mine; Loss: Blue Corn Chip; Net Gain/Loss: I wouldn't make the deal if it was a loss for me, but potentially I gain.

Repeat this for other Trinkets, and you'll be able to see why there are so many Trinkets up in the Market and no offers for the vast majority of them. In the rare instances you spot an offer for your Trinket up in the Market...well chances are it's someone exercising Option B, as it's definitely better than Option A. As for your suggestion to move the cost, well, Option B will then look like:

b) Offer it for an unfair swap? Gain: Trinket of higher rarity/lower number in existence; Loss: Blue Corn Chip, 100 points; Net Gain/Loss: Traded my 100 points for an improvement in my Trinket, otherwise, loss of 100 points.

Option B is now obviously worse off than before, but it is still better than Option A! Both result in a loss of 100 points, but B gives you the possibility of an upgrade in Trinket situation still. Option A and C remain the same. It doesn't solve any of the issues, you maybe see fewer unfair offers for your Trinket on the Market, but you sure don't see any increase in fair offers for it either! All those who have the Trinkets that can be traded fairly for yours, well, did what you did! And they put it up on the Market! For the same reason you did!

User-wise, Trinket-trading also will become more expensive as a whole, a further deterrent to newer players, and Trinket-trading remains a luxury only veterans who have bought everything there is to buy in the Shop can afford.

This post has been edited by Ablazing Within: Nov 28 2018, 10:52 PM

--------------------
Party:

GPX+ Shinies (click to show)

Groups (click to show)
+Quote Post

Gryphaena
post Nov 30 2018, 12:15 AM
Post #4

She Who Can Be Voracious
Group Icon

Member No.: 79 103

My Purple Ones

As a Trinket collector who only needs 18 Trinkets, I am quite frustrated that the Trinkets I put up for trade (those with less than 1,000 in existence) are very rarely getting me anything I actually need in return.

I am getting to the point of just trading by gifting, since I only get Rarity 9 offers I already own for my Rarity 10 trinket (an Ursaring Rug) and common Trinkets I already own for my Azurite exclusive October Trinkets.

My Wants are a mere 4 Trinkets, all Malachite exclusive.

The 14 other Trinkets are available to Azurite, so I'm not too concerned about them.

I agree that there needs to be a way to make trading more attractive for all parties, maybe only enforcing the 100 points paid for offering Trinkets that are lower in Rarity then matching or raising Rarity?

Then people who are disappointed that they always seem to get lower offers will be satisfied.

--------------------
Avatar by Cycloneblaze at Cycloneshop II

GPX+GPX+

Poliwager Poliwager
+Quote Post

Naixatloz
post Dec 12 2018, 04:18 PM
Post #5

A-set, you bet!
Group Icon

Member No.: 56 857

Do the 100 points even matter to anyone who's not a complete newbie? This is a genuine question; as a top-100 player, I legitimately have no idea what's reasonable to an "average" player on here.

Anyway, for me personally, the biggest deterrent to making offers on trinkets is that the interface for doing so isn't very good. There's no way to filter out trinkets that none of the offerers need, or ones you only have one of. It makes it very tedious to find a good trinket to offer if you have a large collection.

I'd love for there to be something in place to discourage lower rarity offers, but I'm not sure what would be effective considering the huge gap between the richest and poorest players. I've played some games where costs for stuff were calculated as a percentage of your total money, but that was usually... controversial, to put it nicely. I also don't think said deterrent should be an outright punishment - uneven trades are allowed by the game, and people should be free to use the options made available to them - just something to make people stop and think before they commit to making an offer.

This post has been edited by YoRHa No9 Type S: Dec 13 2018, 06:17 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 02:57 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.